• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Other publishers are considering raising game prices for PS5 and Xbox Series X

Shantae

Banned
And my response as a person who plays video games would be "Person who plays video games will wait for price drop for games on PS5 and Xbox Series X"

AAA games aren't worth the $60 price already, because of all the DLC and MTX in so many of them. Most games lose their value so fast that trying to charge more for them at launch seems silly when we've seen how fast they drop prices on games already. The market has told me that games are worth less, not more. I only pay full price for stuff I REALLY want, or think will be rare, and it's never by the huge publishers that I'm sure are eager to get these kind of prices for games.

Because games will be better.... πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ₯³ and come with a printed manuals.... πŸ₯³πŸ€£πŸ˜‚ and complet with no extra DLC on disk... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Yeah shure, this time, games will be better. 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

That's why they think - aka the guys behind NBA2k and the fiasco it is now πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ˜…πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³ - are legitime to ask for more.

In real life, most of devs would have to pay me to play their shit... and i would not still give a try.
That amount of emoji's... you're not sober.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I've always said I'd pay $70-$80 for games that are feature complete, without microtransactions, day 1 patches, altered progression to push user towards "time saver DLCs", etc. I'd also be more interested in a higher price point if games released with color manuals with artwork, dev interviews, etc.

I'd also give more for a game like The Witcher III, which had physical goodies, a ton of free DLC, a massive amount of content and no BS microtransactions.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz, IDG President and CEO Yoshio Osaki says that game pricing has remained flat since 2005, whereas TV and movie pricing has increased significantly.

"The last time that next-gen launch software pricing went up was in 2005 and 2006, when it went from $49.99 to $59.99 at the start of the Xbox 360 and PS3 generation," he says.

"During that time, the costs and prices in other affiliated verticals have gone up."

Osaki says that next-gen console game production costs have increased by 200% to 300%, depending on the IP, studio and genre, but the prices have remained at $59.99. Meanwhile, cinema ticket prices have risen 39%, Netflix subscription costs have gone up 100%, and Cable TV packages have risen by 105%.

"Even with the increase to $69.99 for next-gen, that price increase from 2005 to 2020 next-gen is only up 17%, far lower than the other comparisons. While the cost of development and publishing have gone up, and pricing in other entertainment verticals has also gone up substantially, next-gen software pricing has not reflected these increases. $59.99 to $69.99 does not even cover these other cost increases completely, but does move it more in the proper direction."

He continues: "IDG works with all major game publishers, and our channel checks indicate that other publishers are also exploring moving their next-gen pricing up on certain franchises, for the same reasons outlined above.

"Not every game should garner the $69.99 price point on next-gen, but flagship AAAs such as NBA 2K merit this pricing more than others."

I don't like this, might also explain why Sony & MS would price their consoles at a loss, i'm sure they will benefit from that additional price hike.

[Update: A 2K Games spokesperson has issued the following comment regarding the pricing for NBA 2K21 for the next console generation.]

Now is the time to make the change before is too late.

If we let them win, they will take advantage of us.

First it happened with the Oblivion horse DLC, the season pass, the DLC on the disc, the seasons in the fighting games.

The Xbox live and PSN Payment for online games.

the disappearance of the color manual

Always online

You have the option to stop this.

I would not buy them

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
I remember when the prices went down when the publishers went from big boxes with big manuals and cloth maps to DVD style cases with go fuck yourself PDFs on a DVD in DVD style cases since that reduced costs. Oh wait.

First it happened with the Oblivion horse DLC, the season pass, the DLC on the disc, the seasons in the fighting games.

Always online

I would not buy them
Don't worry about me, ain't buying shit, until it's right, i have no problem waiting, i still have principles, i'm glad i'm not the only one (y)

FUBARx89

2k acting like a cross gen game with the graphics sliders turned up warrants more money is amazing.

What's even better is, in the UK they've decided the ps4 version is worth Β£60 the tools. PS4 games are Β£50 at most for a base version.

MarcCppDev

Neo Member
We really need to gang up as a gaming community and tell them to FUCK OFF with this shit. Last gen they charged 10 USD extra and no need to provide a box or ship the thing with digital. In Canada this will end up 100$ for a game with taxes. People are losing their jobs and are getting their basic rights eroded right now. We should send them a straight message about this

Heimdall_Xtreme

2k acting like a cross gen game with the graphics sliders turned up warrants more money is amazing.

What's even better is, in the UK they've decided the ps4 version is worth Β£60 the tools. PS4 games are Β£50 at most for a base version.

We agree that this is not an excuse for them to squeeze more to the budget of the gamer ... We already have enough with the Damage that started with Xbox 360 with the DLC of the games so that they still want more money.

Mister Wolf

Hopefully the gaming community shows some self restraint in their purchasing and punishes Take-Two Interactive for its hubris.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I tend to buy games that I get dozens and sometimes hundreds of hours out of.

Really have no problem paying $70 for that, and haven't had problem paying $100 for game + season pass type deals.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Raise 10$ more only for put some (3 more) trees. sweat to the players or any minimal graphic shit????

I Think the next gen will be so lame Honestly.

The worst is the Ubisoft tactic

Make the maximum downgrade in assassins creed Vallhala Graphics to look shit and give the best potential on PS5, when it can actually be playable on PS4.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I can't even remember the last time I volunteered to pay $60 for a game.

Fuck that. It's like they're trying to force people to resort to subscriptions instead.

I sometimes forget how expensive console games are. I usually just buy them on Steam once they’ve dropped in price significantly. Which is almost always as they are never actually worth their $60 asking price.

jakinov

Lots of suckers would pay 70$ for a yearly reskin sports game filled with mtx
I don't buy or play them but from what I told they do add new features and improve gameplay apart from improving visuals. People like the game and they buy it. Not all of them buy it yearly and the release cadence doesn't change their enjoyment of any version they choose to buy. It's also not like they have other options if they want that game. And if people think that it's worth it to buy the new version every year, I mean that's just their prerogative and what they like to spend their money on. I'm sure there's people who think it's dumb to pay $60 for a game for the story when you can watch that on YouTube or go watch a movie for $10. People might think it's dumb to trade up a console for a slim or pro model. People might think it's dumb to buy the latest and greastest GPU every year or other year. People like different things and get different levels of value. It's not like they have good viable alternatives and they are being duped into buying, they are presented with a product that they are willing to spend money on and are happy with it.

Javthusiast

Banned
Besides a very small selection of games, like The Last of Us Part 2, which I buy for full price, I always wait on price drops, cause nowadays they come pretty quick as long as itβ€˜s not a Nintendo game.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Besides a very small selection of games, like The Last of Us Part 2, which I buy for full price, I always wait on price drops, cause nowadays they come pretty quick as long as itβ€˜s not a Nintendo game.
Take this consideration.

If you let do this 2K assholes raise the price ... Can you imagine a Nintendo with its games at $ 70 that never drop in price? No no no we shouldn't allow it

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned

Always online

I would not buy them

Problem is even if this whole forum does it. We're still a very small of the market share. Look how much a lot of, if not all of us hate microtransactions. Yet they're still very much alive and prevalent.

thegame983

In the end they will charge what people are willing to pay.

Especially games that have a heavy focus on MTX

I'm sure EA would much rather have 10 people playing ultimate team @ $50 than 5 people @ $100 (then add MTX)

Also there is a major world wide recession coming. A cheap point of entry may be required.

Mirumi

Neo Member
I made a post about it in another thread, but I will summarize.

There needs to be a price hike eventually. We used to pay 80-100 USD per game (adjusted to inflation) and we haven't seen much changes in that. Many other things have been adjusted but the game market hasn't. This might also be why we have seen more GAAS and DLC because of fear of raising that base price. Honestly, it does not bother me in the slightest to pay 70 USD today for a new AAA game physical.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Oh we definitely shouldn’t, but looking at all the mindless drones buying the yearly rehashed sports games plus mtx doesnβ€˜t give me much hope for the future.

The supposed Next Gen, only for a fucking extra tree or just because they put sweat on the players.

Don't fuck me

You guys have fun with your digital pricing. We might see 10 to 20% off twice a year or something if they are feeling generous. 30% will be a flash sale. If the game prices do increase, they need to at least give us more complete games and less DLC, but we all know better.

DavidGzz

If it goes up to $69 then people will be more selective and buy less games as a result.
Unless they have tiers if $59 games and $69 games. But making everything $69 is gonna cause less game purchase as people will be less likely to chance a game they not familiar with.

Hmmm, I don't think so for the most part. A game I am willing to buy brand new is a game I really want. The price of a fast food meal isn't going to dissuade me from getting Elden Ring DMF1.

FUBARx89

Hopefully the gaming community shows some self restraint in their purchasing and punishes Take-Two Interactive for its hubris.

Yeah......no. People are gonna gobble it up cause it's new and shiney. Plus they need something "next gen" to play on their machines.

I ain't even gonna lie I did this when PS4 released with battlefield 4, but in my defense BF4 had 64 players in MP which was a huge step up from the ps3/360 era. But, I can't imagine NBA will have any tangible gameplay upgrades that will warrant it.

I made a post about it in another thread, but I will summarize.

There needs to be a price hike eventually. We used to pay 80-100 USD per game (adjusted to inflation) and we haven't seen much changes in that. Many other things have been adjusted but the game market hasn't. This might also be why we have seen more GAAS and DLC because of fear of raising that base price. Honestly, it does not bother me in the slightest to pay 70 USD today for a new AAA game physical.

Most gamers to my knowledge don’t even want to pay $60 for games, let alone $70. If there needs to be a price increase and we get a plethora of DLC, microtransactions and other shenanigans on top of that during a pandemic, that’s a really bad indicator for the future imo. Things will get worst.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Fair enough. I’d like to see games come priced accordingly instead of the just the usual two prices for bigger published games. Something like read dead, Witcher 3, BOTW etc. Has an obvious gigantic budget compared to something like marvel ultimate alliance 3, Kirby etc. Always found it ridiculous how most games are priced the same. Obviously I don’t want to pay more, but I think it’s better for the industry. Especially if the obvious overpriced games dropped their price to something more reasonable

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
DopeyConcernedGreatargus-size_restricted.gif

I think if thiese past two gens havent gone they way they did with the endless amounts of content that is added after or is locked behind loot boxes and MTX then this would be easier to accept. But this gen was filled with so many games that had no business be as predatory as they were, looking at your Battlefront 2. But at the same time, stop making every single game this massive open world that nobody finishes. Assassins Creed I am looking at you, mainly Ubisoft in general.

Nobody asked for games to all strart being 40-100 hour games. Companies simply focus tested that into the norm and now wants to try and blame the development costs. But if this is indeed true, then either 2K is trying be brave or every publisher came into agreement that nows the time to raise the price and they all are doing it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

If they do not realize it, in fact many are already paying 80 dollars, for their launch games with DLC not included

april6e

This creates a weird scenario now where gamers may need to rush to pre-order any title they want at the $60 price point. Because 2k/EA deciding to do this is going to set the precedent for every other next gen game once developers realize that they can do this and everyone has already accepted it and even are defending it in certain cases.

BlackM1st

Banned
Good. Idea of 60$ per game is dead and should be buried together with timers, limited item pools, limited items, p2w characters and weapons.

Basically, we should come back to the pre TES Oblivion Horse armor/ mobile gatcha mechanics era.
Leave all this F2P mechanics out of AAA games.
Either have a 70/80$ game + paid DLC packs like Battlefield 4 or use a subscription like any MMORPG.
Don't mix F2P mechanics with normal games.

(Ofc publishers will just raise the prices and will continue to use F2P exploits on gullible ppl)

Reindeer

So are we just gonna ignore how publishers are able to overcome rising costs by introducing microtransactions, loot boxes, live service and season passes? I'm pretty these sports games make way more money than they ever have through these monetising schemes and they have the audacity to cry about rising cost in development. Increasing price while keeping these monetising schemes in your games is the definition of greed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom