• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Other than Weird Al what bands have gone far enough past "parody" or "comedy" to be a great band in their own right?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Thread title. The first that come to mind is Bloodhound Gang. Despite the memes their stuff is great when you sit down and listen to it while you are just gaming or whatever.

The shining example being "Foxtrot Unicorn Charlie Kilo".

And then obviously...

The video is obviously a laugh. Its dumb. It's full of visual jokes and bullshit that only a 15yr old would find funny, but the song itself taken outside of all of it is a fucking banger. I have that song in my usual playlist and when it comes on I don't sweat what the specifics are because it just sounds so good.

The only other band I can think of from the current scene that works like this is Eskimo Callboy. Same energy. Same parody nonsense bullshit, but when you hear the song on its own it just fucking rocks. When that shit hits while I am jogging I feel it. I love it.

[WATCH THESE TO THE END]

Give me more of this shit. I would love more good music from bands that don't take themselves so seriously. It would be a nice change of pace from the usual fake pre-written and PR crafted bullshit.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

WigWam is a joke band and this song is the theme. I almost don’t want to spoil it so watch episode one and report back.

Also check out Steel Panther:

Thank you for this. I genuinely enjoy good artistry when it comes to song making. The lyrics are always as valuable as the beat.

I feel like a jerk cause my dick won't work

giphy.gif

Ionian

That song is an absolute banger, never dawned on me to look it up and I'm currently watching the show so thanks for the link! (Super LTTP and my God it's far better than I ever thought it would be and I did hear it was great) It's so extremely well done. The fact it boots off with this song and their dances, impossible not to already be smiling before the episode even starts. :D

Before more examples start coming in I also think it's important to note the distinction between actual comedy / parody songs, and songs that simply have funny music videos but play 'straight' without them.

With that in mind, I hereby nominate the kings, Spinal Tap, whose albums are legitimately rocking despite the comedy lyrics.

Nobody_Important

Before more examples start coming in I also think it's important to note the distinction between actual comedy / parody songs, and songs that simply have funny music videos but play 'straight' without them.

With that in mind, I hereby nominate the kings, Spinal Tap, whose albums are legitimately rocking despite the comedy lyrics.
I'm for all of it and everything in between.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Niel Cicierega, not a band and not really parody/comedy, just remixes and mashes up tracks for memes, except it's actually good.

He was also the mind behind Potter Puppet Pals, Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny and more.

squallheart

Thread title. The first that come to mind is Bloodhound Gang. Despite the memes their stuff is great when you sit down and listen to it while you are just gaming or whatever.

The shining example being "Foxtrot Unicorn Charlie Kilo".

And then obviously...

The video is obviously a laugh. Its dumb. It's full of visual jokes and bullshit that only a 15yr old would find funny, but the song itself taken outside of all of it is a fucking banger. I have that song in my usual playlist and when it comes on I don't sweat what the specifics are because it just sounds so good.

The only other band I can think of from the current scene that works like this is Eskimo Callboy. Same energy. Same parody nonsense bullshit, but when you hear the song on its own it just fucking rocks. When that shit hits while I am jogging I feel it. I love it.

[WATCH THESE TO THE END]

Give me more of this shit. I would love more good music from bands that don't take themselves so seriously. It would be a nice change of pace from the usual fake pre-written and PR crafted bullshit.

Love Eskimo callboy also wig was xD

JBat

I legitimately enjoy NSP's music. The lyrics are usually hilarious but the songs are just good.

Their covers with TWRP are good too

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Not a single mention of Anal Cunt?

Insane Clown Posse is the other obvious one IMHO. Dudes have their own label, throw an annual music festival without any sponsorship, and even have an entire subculture dedicated to them. They deserve so much more respect than they get. Legit nobody hustles harder than ICP

5472.jpg

I_D

Brothers of Metal fits this bill.

The band started off as a joke, but they quickly realized their vocalist is incredible; so they turned it into a proper power-metal band, but with lots of clichés and puns.

They have some straight-up pop-power-metal songs like "Chainbreaker"
But then that same album has a slow song like "Weaver of Fate"
And that same album has a power song like "To the Skies and Beyond"

And all of them retain that quasi-parody vibe the entire time.

Their first album is equally excellent/corny.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

The Dickies, in-between all the crazy 100+mph punk covers are some great songs. Idjit Savant is a powerpop/punk classic.

Top Bottom