• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our desire is to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation - Phil Spencer

TheBomb

Lies No GIF

Megatron

Lol. He specifically says 'our desire' That is code for 'Yes, Sony will get Call of Duty on Playstation as long as they let us put Gamepass on there."

And keeping Warzone on Playstation would also satisfy that statement. Show me a statement where he says "new iterations in the CoD franchise will come to PS5 available for purchase without needing gamepass" and that will be a real statement.

Last edited:
Mudleading title and Still not 100% convinced. They could still keep call of duty on PlayStation by leaving warzone on it and the statement would still be factually correct. Yes they will honor commitments but I think beyond that mainline games will only be on xbox pc gamepass.

I could be completely wrong obviously.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
All existing agreements. So the next CoD game. You cant force a company to put their games on other platforms. Otherwise, Google wouldve started suing Playstation because they wouldnt put Spiderman on Stadia.

Also, he will force them to put Gamepass on PSN before he allows CoD on there. As he should. Otherwise, it's a gigantic waste of $70 billion.

Last edited:

skit_data

Still leaves a lot of wiggle room for them to make future installments exclusive.

But I believe Spencer, that man always has a consistent message that in no way conflicts heavily with previous statements made by him. Always.

Well he's definitely referring to Warzone.

If he also means the individual releases I strongly doubt that'll come with Sony retaining marketing rights, exclusive content deals, and probably even getting them Day 1 let alone ever getting them in Spartacus. But still releasing them on PlayStation for $70? That is within realm of possibility for sure.

assurdum

Banned
title doesn't match what he says though
He says to have the desire to maintain COD on PlayStation. But of course he won't. And more importantly: even in the best case I expect a rush port with notable lower resolution. It won't end well from every perspective for Sony fans.

Last edited:

Braag

MS is way more open with their IPs than Sony, so yeah I believe they might keep some more important titles on Playstation.
But it doesn't change the fact that MS has Sony by the balls with this acquisition, if 3 years from now MS decides that Sony ain't getting the next CoD, they have the power to do so.

Megatron

I do wonder how the marketing rights deal affects things. How long does Sony have those for? Is there an implied agreement that CoD titles would release on Playstation for the duration of the marketing deal?

assurdum

Banned
Indeed. It is literally - we want, but we can't :messenger_tears_of_joy: If it were before Bethesda acquisition, people would fall for it and we would have huge debates about it. But now we can expect XBOX EXCLUSIVE on some reveal in the future :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I think they not want neither

Last edited:

kyoji

I double dog dare them to pull future installment from ps , according to gaf the game reaks and has been on the decline anyway (not that i would know) but if you really want to kill it off this is the best way, i say go for it money and toilet paper both flush the same 👍

Cherrypepsi

I believe him GAF

They will have analyzed the whole situation and went the path for the most growth. That is how companies operate.

Microsoft has just become one of the biggest publishers for Playstation and that's not an easy door to close. There will be other ways to push the xbox brand, and I am sure they will do that too.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This guy picks his words right. A true politician.
lol yep.

We will honor existing contracts = CoD 2022 marketing deal. 2023 and beyond? No Contract no CoD.
Our desire to keep CoD on Playstation = If they let us put gamepass on Playstation.

Also, I read that he has to say these things before the deal is finalized or he could get in trouble for violating anti-trust laws. After the deal goes through, it's his company and he can do whatever he wants. Thats why he had to play coy with Bethesda.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nobody ever thought they were gonna pull existing ones from sale or kill their servers. But he's so transparent the way he carefully words his statements to make it sound like future COD games will also come to PlayStation. Which they won't, unless Sony agrees to let MS put Gamepass on PS5 and compete directly with PS+. Which they won't.

Top Bottom