• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of all the games i've played so far this year....wow!!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So we've already had a ton of great games this year. I'm currently playing Horizon Forbidden West, Elden Ring, and Tales of Arise. I have to say though, as great as those are, and they are all great, no game has impacted me this year quite like Doki Doki Literature Club Plus.

Yes, i know....totally different genre, etc.....but i'm telling you, i had NO idea what i was in for when i played this. I have one trophy to go to get the Platinum and honestly i would rate it one of the best games this year for me so far, if not ever.

To say anything about it would be doing a serious disservice to anyone who was wanting to play it, or thinking of playing it, but it just hits all the right notes for me. Do not let it's cutesy exterior fool you....it's a very disturbing game and the warnings are justified. On the same note, the soundtrack is fantastic, and the total experience of what the game does and how it draws you in was unlike anything i've played in quite a long time.

If you're even considering playing it, don't think about it....just do it. But you have to go into it 100% blind to get the full effect.

Guilty_AI

Welcome to the visual novel world

38b.png

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
The trigger warning at the start of the game partly ruined the surprise for me, but I still liked it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Are Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk considered VNs? Because if so, I think those are the only I've played. :goog_relieved:

Those games (anime visual novels) always seemed like weeb-bait to me, but if you say there's something more to it I might need to play it! Thanks for the recommendation, we need more threads like this.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
It's a VN, there is no game element to it, but yes.

Its mainly a VN, but there is a game element to it. You make choices that determine where things go and you have an active part in things outside the main game too (saying more would be spoilerish), but no, its not just sit and hit the button and read and do nothing else.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Its mainly a VN, but there is a game element to it. You make choices that determine where things go and you have an active part in things outside the main game too (saying more would be spoilerish), but no, its not just sit and hit the button and read and do nothing else.

I haven't played since around the time it first came out, must be forgetting making choices. That or I saw every ending so it didn't really matter.

Either way, read it, play it, whatever, it's good.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Are Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk considered VNs? Because if so, I think those are the only I've played. :goog_relieved:

Those games (anime visual novels) always seemed like weeb-bait to me, but if you say there's something more to it I might need to play it! Thanks for the recommendation, we need more threads like this.
I enjoy VNs that have more gamey elements - the Zero Escape trilogy is great (well, 2/3 of it) and I like Danganronpa, but it is undoubtedly anime as fuck.

Try 428: Shibuya Scramble

This is also an excellent rec. It tends to get a deep discount fairly regularly on PSN too.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me when it come VN/adventure games I'm bigger fan of 13 Sentinels, Ace Attorney, AI Somnium Files and Zero Escape games rather than Doki Doki.

AndrewRyan

Thanks OP.. looks interesting. This game has popped up a few times but always dismiss it thinking it was a mismatched recommendation. Will give it a try and not going to read anything about it.

Top Bottom