• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders |OT| So much content, is this a GaaS? No, just an anomaly.

Woo-Fu

Banned
And really, if GAAS were done properly it wouldn't be the albatross it is. Instead of using it as a platform to continually add content (and presumably make revenue from) an existing game they use it to justify releasing a game that's 25% done.

From what I've seen Outriders has all of its content in place at release. It's a full game, regardless of how much DLC/content they release down the road. Anybody who played Anthem as much as I did will tell you that that is a refreshing change.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I guess if we all use YOUR definition of what GaaS is.
It's not my definition, it's the games industry's definition and it's also how wiki defines it:
"In the video game industry, games as a service (GaaS) represents providing video games or game content on a continuing revenue model, similar to software as a service [think of adobe creative suit or outlook 356]. Games as a service are ways to monetize video games either after their initial sale, or to support a free-to-play model. Games released under the GaaS model typically receive a long or indefinite stream of monetized new content over time to encourage players to continue paying to support the game."

Just "DLC" doesn't make a game live service, making a game a source of steady income is what makes it live service.
Even if outriders has 4 big expansions (story/area) and 4 smaller ones (classes), that still doesn't provide the developers with a steady source of income, it just gives them a one time spike each time they release it.

This is why actual live service games will have a store that's continuously(weekly) updated with content that you can only get with their form of premium currency.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Very much looking forward to Outriders this Thursday via Game Pass as I will be playing with the Pyromancer. Enjoyed what I played of the demo and it was originally a day one purchase for me. Hyped!!!

kiryani

I had some fun with the demo earlier.

Im not sure what the game is, though. Is it WoW instances? Is it Destiny, Gears, Diablo?

But seriously what is it

Kagey K

Banned
GREAT OT as usual cormack12 cormack12 . Thanks for making it.

Can't wait to play the full game. Can we preload on Game Pass Yet?

What class are most people going with? I went with Pyromancer in the demo and I liked it, but it seemed like a lot of people really liked trickster.
I went on the Xbox app and downloaded it on Friday night. It was 43 or 47 gigs if I remember correctly.

I took Pyro too. You have good taste.... for a cat lady. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

sainraja

It's not my definition, it's the games industry's definition and it's also how wiki defines it:
"In the video game industry, games as a service (GaaS) represents providing video games or game content on a continuing revenue model, similar to software as a service [think of adobe creative suit or outlook 356]. Games as a service are ways to monetize video games either after their initial sale, or to support a free-to-play model. Games released under the GaaS model typically receive a long or indefinite stream of monetized new content over time to encourage players to continue paying to support the game."

Just "DLC" doesn't make a game live service, making a game a source of steady income is what makes it live service.
Even if outriders has 4 big expansions (story/area) and 4 smaller ones (classes), that still doesn't provide the developers with a steady source of income, it just gives them a one time spike each time they release it.

This is why actual live service games will have a store that's continuously(weekly) updated with content that you can only get with their form of premium currency.
You quoted the same thing I was quoting lol and I think it supports the idea that if the developer is releasing content on a continuous basis, it can be classified as a GaaS game. I don't know the future roadmap of Outriders but it can definitely become a GaaS game, Destiny did. Anyway, we can go back and forth on the definition all we want. It doesn't really matter, not what I was originally saying anyway. I didn't say having DLC makes a game GaaS. That's you putting words in my mouth.

Outriders is a PVE game where you are going after loot in a raid type of activity. They will release additional content (if successful) and that could be in the form of seasonal content, expansion content and/or micros transactions; it is too early to say. I've seen many people compare it with Destiny so my thinking is, that People Will Fly, will most likely expand on the game vs releasing Outriders 2. If that doesn't happen, you can come back here and tell me anything you want. I am just saying it is well positioned to turn into that.

I'll even quote myself here for you:
If they release new content (whatever shape it takes) for the game, I think it can be classified as one. It all depends on if they are able to get a community behind the game, only then, will it make sense since they are going to want to keep the game fresh by releasing new content for it on an ongoing basis. Regardless, I also see 'micro transactions' in its future and possibly seasonal content similar to Fortnite/Destiny.

EDIT

What I originally said in response to you:
I agree with you on the point you are making (so not the reason I quoted you); anyway, I think or I can't imagine Outriders developers not expanding on what Outriders is after release and if it finds success. I can certainly see how it can become a GaaS type of game. They designed the game with online in mind so they will most likely be expanding it via expansions and/or micro transactions. We'll have to wait and see.

EDIT

They have to keep the content in the game fresh somehow on a continuous basis otherwise chasing better gear does not make sense to me so it will have to have some GaaS elements, I think.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I had some fun with the demo earlier.

Im not sure what the game is, though. Is it WoW instances? Is it Destiny, Gears, Diablo?

But seriously what is it
It probably has the most in common with Borderlands, as far as idea behind the game goes (Looter Shooter)

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
You quoted the same thing I was quoting lol
No, not really, your quote was selective, it's very imporant to quote the entire thing so it's clear this isn't about providing "new content", but about using the game as a steady supply of income; "expansions" and the like only give a one time spike of income, not a steady supply and this is, again, why actual live service games have a continuously updated store for premium currency.

sainraja

No, not really, your quote was selective, it's very imporant to quote the entire thing so it's clear this isn't about providing "new content", but about using the game as a steady supply of income; "expansions" and the like only give a one time spike of income, not a steady supply and this is, again, why actual live service games have a continuously updated store for premium currency.
It wasn't selective. It was the portion that Google highlighted and I just copy pasted that! You don't like to read the responses of the people you respond to nor do you like to read a conversation in its sequence. You should go back and read what I have been saying instead of telling me what I have been saying. The full quote you added basically expands on what I was saying, it doesn't disagree with what I said. lol

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
Anyone having issues preloading on Xbox? I tried doing it from the xbox app on Iphone and it does nothing.. Everything else works fine from the xbox app though.

sainraja

so....you didn't bother to read the whole thing and only used the highlight. So it was selective.
hahaha, you really are difficult or just being difficult on purpose. Re-read my posts and then we can continue this discussion. The full quote doesn't contradict me, lol.

sainraja

By that metric then Diablo 2 was a GaaS because they released an expansion pack.
Huh whaat....I am not saying releasing DLC makes a game GaaS. Did you actually read the post you just quoted? I don't think you did lol.

Here I'll bold the part you chose to ignore:
If they release new content (whatever shape it takes) for the game, I think it can be classified as one. It all depends on if they are able to get a community behind the game, only then, will it make sense since they are going to want to keep the game fresh by releasing new content for it on an ongoing basis. Regardless, I also see 'micro transactions' in its future and possibly seasonal content similar to Fortnite/Destiny.
What I failed to clarify there, which is probably why you are getting confused is that I didn't say 'on a continuous basis' with my first statement but I clarified it later if you kept reading!

Or hell, read my first post in this thread. The game is very well positioned to become a GaaS type of game!

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The full quote doesn't contradict me, lol.
I think your grasp on the English language isn't very advanced, I never said it contradicted anything, I said it's important to quote the full thing because it's not just about providing any kind of new content, it's about providing a steady supply of income, which the full quote makes clear.

sainraja

I think your grasp on the English language isn't very advanced, I never said it contradicted anything, I said it's important to quote the full thing because it's not just about providing any kind of new content, it's about providing a steady supply of income, which the full quote makes clear.
I didn't think I needed to clarify that because I had said in the same post that if they release content on an ongoing basis it can become a GaaS type of game. It is certainly well positioned to become that.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I didn't think I needed to clarify that because I had said in the same post that if they release content on an ongoing basis it can become a GaaS type of game. It is certainly well positioned to become that.
Stop. This is the OT for for Outriders not a pedantic discussion about the finer points of GaaS. You don't need to continually derail threads nitpicking minor arguments that little to nothing to do with the topic at hand.

sainraja

Stop. This is the OT for for Outriders not a pedantic discussion about the finer points of GaaS. You don't need to continually derail threads nitpicking minor arguments that little to nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Haha no. I am not sure why you are getting so triggered. I am simply responding to people and added my comments about Outriders and last I checked, this is still a discussion forum. You have the option to simply ignore what I am saying if you see no relevance but I am very much talking about Outriders.

Last edited:

Ichabod

Banned
Beyond hyped for this. My agent is completely tricked out in division 2 and division 1, while fun, isn't quite scratching my looter shooter itch. I'm chomping at the bit to dive into this.

anothertech

And really, if GAAS were done properly it wouldn't be the albatross it is. Instead of using it as a platform to continually add content (and presumably make revenue from) an existing game they use it to justify releasing a game that's 25% done.

From what I've seen Outriders has all of its content in place at release. It's a full game, regardless of how much DLC/content they release down the road. Anybody who played Anthem as much as I did will tell you that that is a refreshing change.
I'm supporting this game just for this.

About dam time someone releases games that are finished.

Also it's fun. Pyromancer for me all the way

Kagey K

Banned
Phil Spencer is a coward for not letting me pre-load this game.
Load Xbox app on your phone or tablet
Search Outriders
Click download to console
Preload
Profit
4mxEOw5.png

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
When I downloaded from gamepass app yesterday it said 56GB, not sure how accurate that is usually.
Well Xbox size is accurate as of how much space is going to take, you are basically downloading packed vm. Even tho sometimes it reserves some space for stuff, but that's not really that often.

Ogbert

For me tank class or the class with the void sword, the pyrodude was boring in the demo.
Yeah, Trickster felt so much better than all the other classes. Instantaneous movement around the map. With mods, I’m expecting it to be a great deal of fun.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Some of you are being really obtuse on what does and doesn't make a game a GaaS/Live Service. Fortnite is a live service. League of Legends is a live service. Warframe is a live service. The Division 2 is a live service. Destiny started out as a online only co-op shooter and became live service. Marvel's Avengers is a live service. Outriders, with a fixed campaign, no microtransactions and to date no intention of adding any is not a live service game.

Even if they were to add content at a later date to refresh the gameplay experience and bring in new players it still wouldn't be a live service game. By some of your incredibly broad to the point of irrelevant definitions OUTWARD is a "live service" game because it has expansion content.

That said, if this game takes off there's little chance it isn't GaaS-ified by SEnix.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The core of the game is fun and gets the big stuff right. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

If you don't like it, take a bunch of quarters to an old 7/11 with a Zaxxon cabinet?

ebevan91

Downloading the demo so I can try the game and maybe pre-load the full version before my data cap resets at the end of the month lol.

I'm really interested what the consensus will be for the story once people finish it. I remember finishing it during the Xbox Preview back in November 2020, and while the tone is a bit uneven in the beginning, this game gets a bit too dark, and around the same level as Spec Ops The Line.

Also wondering if certain people will find the game's story offensive... due to certain events being portrayed. I remember one interview saying they wanted to be a sort of road trip similar to Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse Now style of story, and uh... boy if one thing PCF did was make a depressing as fuck story.

sainraja

Some of you are being really obtuse on what does and doesn't make a game a GaaS/Live Service. Fortnite is a live service. League of Legends is a live service. Warframe is a live service. The Division 2 is a live service. Destiny started out as a online only co-op shooter and became live service. Marvel's Avengers is a live service. Outriders, with a fixed campaign, no microtransactions and to date no intention of adding any is not a live service game.

Even if they were to add content at a later date to refresh the gameplay experience and bring in new players it still wouldn't be a live service game. By some of your incredibly broad to the point of irrelevant definitions OUTWARD is a "live service" game because it has expansion content.

That said, if this game takes off there's little chance it isn't GaaS-ified by SEnix.
And I don't disagree with what you are saying and wasn't disagreeing with anyone who is commenting on the game in its state right now or as it is being released. My personal take was, which I said in my very first post, is that the game could (similar to Destiny) head that way; I did go on to say that it just depends on the type of success the game finds. What I am saying may never happen and I am totally fine with it but given that it is a looter shooter and many other games that are similar to it, have gone GaaS - I am predicting that it will go the same direction.

When I first heard of the game, I saw many people compare it with Destiny so I was expecting a lot of the same stuff. Anyway, it seems many people seem to have a negative impression of GaaS games (I don't). I wasn't saying this to paint the game in negative light! I will be playing it (specially because of comparisons to Destiny and that is my main game right now.)

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
I'm really interested what the consensus will be for the story once people finish it. I remember finishing it during the Xbox Preview back in November 2020, and while the tone is a bit uneven in the beginning, this game gets a bit too dark, and around the same level as Spec Ops The Line.

Also wondering if certain people will find the game's story offensive... due to certain events being portrayed. I remember one interview saying they wanted to be a sort of road trip similar to Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse Now style of story, and uh... boy if one thing PCF did was make a depressing as fuck story.

What game are you talking about??

wArTHEIST

Neo Member

this sounds super interesting but I don't know if I believe this guy lol.... guess we'll find out tomorrow

wArTHEIST

Neo Member
found a review in german:

- nothing new but a solid looter shooter with tons of replayability through the very different classes
- mentions gears and division alot as a comparison
- loves the crafting system
- shaky cam und bad german voice acting as negatives
- endgame is great though didnt give any details
- mentions the expeditions can be very frustrating playing with randoms due to the high difficulty (he said you need a team to complete these, I don't think that's a requirement of the game, is it?

85/100

Last edited:
Top Bottom