• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders |OT| So much content, is this a GaaS? No, just an anomaly.

cormack12

Gold Member
mod edit: subtitle updated after PM from OP

4qnIsnV.png

SxcgA9P.png

axiu9ve.png

hgAQrcB.png

5TQxnDW.png

KKjbTcM.png

dzJonqG.png

2riHN1u.png

ty4GEbD.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Samrf89

Digging this pretty hard. Looks like it'll be pretty damn fun later in the game with all the possible build combinations and with the game opening up a bit and not feeling like a cheap gears of war spinoff

I know the title is just a joke/pun, but just so people don't get confused: the game is NOT GaaS

Think of it more like Diablo or Monster Hunter - tons of content and replayability from the get-go, and not some faux-MMO that relies on FOMO (cough Destiny cough).

ANYWAY, I'm really looking forward to the game. I barely played the demo because I intend to start over from scratch. Still not sure what class I want to play, but I'm leaning towards Trickster.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

It like Avengers, not a GAAS game like Fallout 76 or Destiny (which is classed somehow as an MMO), MP is optional as well
It actually isn't, Avengers has a marketplace for cosmetic items for premium currency; characters are free, but in order to activate their reward strip, you also have to spend premium currency.

Gediminas

Banned
Again. . .it is not. The inevitable expansions that are coming with this do not make it a "live service game."
allways online makes it live service game. can i play this game offline? no. they can update and patch it on the fly, and if i don't like it, i can't play it and i can't do anything about it.

p.s. the game is not gaas.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
allways online makes it live service game. can i play this game offline? no. they can update and patch it on the fly, and if i don't like it, i can't play it and i can't do anything about it.

p.s. the game is not gaas.

Online only does not make a game "live service." Where is the monetization beyond the initial upfront cost? You can be upset that there is no offline mode but shoving just tossing characteristics into what qualifies a game to be live service isn't the way to communicate that.

wArTHEIST

Neo Member
Darn. Is that confirmed, or an assumption based on the chart in the OT? I know that's the case on PC, but I was hoping the PS5 version would be smaller. That was true for the PS5 version of Control, for example.
Ah you're right, that's just for PC, I guess there is nothing official on consoles yet.

Raven117

Gold Member
I tell ya, there isn't a damn thing wrong with that demo. I doubt Im in for 60 bucks (not with Monster Hunter out), but I'll be picking this up on sale one of these days.

The combat feels really good.

Ogbert

This feels like it will genuinely be D3 with guns.

They’ll have the opportunity to do seasons with this.

Gediminas

Banned
Online only does not make a game "live service." Where is the monetization beyond the initial upfront cost? You can be upset that there is no offline mode but shoving just tossing characteristics into what qualifies a game to be live service isn't the way to communicate that.
live service does not mean it has to be monetize, it is not a GAAS game. stil it is a live service game, no matter how you spin it. it wouldn't be a live service game or gaas, if it wouldn't have a Mandatory online connection. a lot of things goes through servers. so yeah, live service game. why you so upset i have no idea, it is what it is.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

it is not a GAAS game. stil it is a live service game,
GaaS and live service are literally the same thing, the term "live service" comes from calling GaaS "living" "or live" games; an internet connection doesn't mean the game becomes live service.
Assassin's creed 2 required an internet connection, it would literally kick you out if your connection dropped, but that wasn't because of "live service", it was an anti-piracy measure.
GaaS = Live service game

sainraja

GaaS and live service are literally the same thing, the term "live service" comes from calling GaaS "living" "or live" games; an internet connection doesn't mean the game becomes live service.
Assassin's creed 2 required an internet connection, it would literally kick you out if your connection dropped, but that wasn't because of "live service", it was an anti-piracy measure.
GaaS = Live service game
So why don't we start with defining what GaaS is as a whole? Based on my own experience and by the fact this conversation is happening, everyone seems to be defining it a little differently.

I agree with you on the point you are making (so not the reason I quoted you); anyway, I think or I can't imagine Outriders developers not expanding on what Outriders is after release and if it finds success. I can certainly see how it can become a GaaS type of game. They designed the game with online in mind so they will most likely be expanding it via expansions and/or micro transactions. We'll have to wait and see.

EDIT

They have to keep the content in the game fresh somehow on a continuous basis otherwise chasing better gear does not make sense to me so it will have to have some GaaS elements, I think.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

anyway, I think or I can't imagine Outriders developers not expanding on what Outriders is after release and if it finds success. I can certainly see how it can become a GaaS type of game.
DLC doesn't make it GaaS, live service is all about having a steady income supply, DLC is just one and done kind of things and I'm sure Outriders might have a couple in the future.

Ogbert

DLC doesn't make it GaaS, live service is all about having a steady income supply, DLC is just one and done kind of things and I'm sure Outriders might have a couple in the future.
Exactly.

It’s Diablo 3 with guns. If it’s successful we could get new classes/content as paid DLC.

jaysius

Banned
Saying games aren’t a Gaas when they have all the lazy trappings of one, huge maps with almost nothing interactive, spongey enemies, paper thin story, rewards tiered merely by “difficulty“ aka spongier baddies is hilarious. Sure it’s not a GaaS but it has all the trappings of one, so we just need to make a name for this type of game is the only issue we’re left with... is Shlooter still off the table? Well “basic grind for gear for grind’s sake Skinner box” is my replacement suggestion, games with lazy map design, worthless skill trees which give 5% increases, no story worth giving a fuck about just enough to tag people along.

Also whatever this is Gotham Knights is too.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Wish the steam preload would start. Downloading massive games for me is like a 90 year-old guy trying to take a piss.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
GREAT OT as usual cormack12 cormack12 . Thanks for making it.

Can't wait to play the full game. Can we preload on Game Pass Yet?

What class are most people going with? I went with Pyromancer in the demo and I liked it, but it seemed like a lot of people really liked trickster.

sainraja

I guess if we all use YOUR definition of what GaaS is.

Here is what I pulled from a quick online search:
"In the video game industry, games as a service represents providing video games or game content on a continuing revenue model, similar to software as a service."
If they release new content (whatever shape it takes) for the game, I think it can be classified as one. It all depends on if they are able to get a community behind the game, only then, will it make sense since they are going to want to keep the game fresh by releasing new content for it on an ongoing basis. Regardless, I also see 'micro transactions' in its future and possibly seasonal content similar to Fortnite/Destiny.

Last edited:

sainraja

Some people say micro transactions, some are now saying a season pass model. As I have already asked, why don't you all start by defining what it is? It really doesn't matter. What makes sense to me is if they are planning to grow a title and not depend on sequels is enough to classify the game as GaaS. You do you.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Season Pass is a microtransaction, but People Can Fly already stated there will be no microtransactions. DLC isn't GaaS. The "Service" in GaaS is a continuing revenue model - Outriders doesn't have that.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
If they release new content (whatever shape it takes) for the game, I think it can be classified as one. It all depends on if they are able to get a community behind the game, only then, will it make sense since they are going to want to keep the game fresh by releasing new content for it on an ongoing basis. Regardless, I also see 'micro transactions' in its future and possibly seasonal content similar to Fortnite/Destiny.
By that metric then Diablo 2 was a GaaS because they released an expansion pack.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
GREAT OT as usual cormack12 cormack12 . Thanks for making it.

Can't wait to play the full game. Can we preload on Game Pass Yet?

What class are most people going with? I went with Pyromancer in the demo and I liked it, but it seemed like a lot of people really liked trickster.
I tried the trickster, it was a weird kind of in your face melee combat type of character, but I might have been doing it wrong.

Top Bottom