• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders |OT| So much content, is this a GaaS? No, just an anomaly.

Ogbert

This game is overtuned as fuck if you play anything over Tier 5 or 6 in expiditions if you run them solo. You just get gang raped by 40 mobs and that's it. Another one even if the mobs take more hits is essential for not have aggro from every mob in the game.
I’m just sticking to 2/3 at the moment. I’ll start on higher levels in a couple of weeks, when my gear is up to scratch and multiplayer is solid.

NullZ3r0

Banned
This game is overtuned as fuck if you play anything over Tier 5 or 6 in expiditions if you run them solo. You just get gang raped by 40 mobs and that's it. Another one even if the mobs take more hits is essential for not have aggro from every mob in the game.
I can solo with my Devastator up to Tier 8 but I have a couple of powers that leach health and generate armor. Then on the power that generates armor, I have a mod that lets me fire it off twice. The thing is that I need to attack groups of mobs. My build falls apart with individual mobs shooting me from different directions.

My alpha strike is always a group of mobs, then I retreat and wait for a group to come to be and then I hit the group with my AOE leeching ability.

Right now I'm trying to solo the big forest boss on WT 8 and I'm all good until the acid spitting flying bugs pick me off. They snipe from a distance and force me to close the distance which is a weakness of my build. I'm going to try it again with the deflection shield ability to see if that helps neutralize them.

I hate bosses in games that can't stand on their own. They always spawn ADDs. The flying ones that snipe are the worst.

Not impressed with the "rage" in that video or the condescending attitude. The game itself is not "fundamentally broken" and a chat person trying to explain that to this buffoon is not having a "lack of self respect." What a toolbox.
I'd argue for a game sold as a co-op shooter that you can't co-op in sounds broken at a fundamental level. To be fair, I've been playing about 10 hours solo and it's fine, bland as a solo experience, but fine. However, if you bought this to play with others and experience the core of the game with skill/class synergies, then you'll be disappointed as it is currently broken in that key respect.

manfestival

Yup, it's quite terrible on the death threats. Literally ridiculous over a game that people worked so hard on. I don't know.

This is that kinda garbage that those people feed on. This person just made them feel accomplished and fueled their desires to do this to next person or to continue. Just like the other post, they need to just walk away or learn to ignore the trolling/bad faith posting.

Anyways, I installed the demo last night to see what the buzz is about but it was late and I was felling asleep. There was some microstuttering in the demo for me. Is there any solution to this issue or is this more of an issue with the demo versus the final build? Willing to give this a shot tonight when I get home from work and get some free time.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'd argue for a game sold as a co-op shooter that you can't co-op in sounds broken at a fundamental level. To be fair, I've been playing about 10 hours solo and it's fine, bland as a solo experience, but fine. However, if you bought this to play with others and experience the core of the game with skill/class synergies, then you'll be disappointed as it is currently broken in that key respect.

The game itself isn't broken; being online only has put it in the precarious situation of depending on SOMEONE ELSE to handle log-ins. If - instead of servers being down they were full - people wouldn't be calling the game "broken."

McCheese

Multiplayer doesn't work at all on Xbox, still can't find random party and joining a friend's game always crashes the game within a few minutes.

The developers deserve to be raked over the coals for releasing it in this state, it's the multiplayer equivalent to cyberpunks single player.

I'm 80% towards the end of the game now so unlikely to bother with multiplayer if they don't fix it soonish. Glad I didn't pay for it (gamepass) as I'm missing out on the crux of the gameplay playing it solo.

Last edited:

Ichabod

Banned
So coming up on 25+ hours in, I'm on world tier 12 and having an absolute blast. Around the time I hit 25 on my technomancer my build really started coming together and now I'm just dominating encounters. I only have 2 legendaries so far but I'm just melting shit. I cant wait to see what happens when I finally start getting some gold armors and transition out of my purples.

I've been very fortunate as far as disconnects, as I've only had 4 or 5 and only 1 hard lock where I had to reboot my pc. I mean, I should expect it, but it's hard not to lose faith in humanity seeing people turning into absolute vitriolic twats over the connection issues. If you don't think the devs will get it sorted (they will), then you need to refund the game, cut your losses if you can't refund, change your diapy, and reevaluate where your life went wrong to have turned you into human garbage.

Sygma

You got a bad build for it and thats it mate, not that complicated. Stats in this game matter an awful LOT at endgame. Try not having one wasted mod slot on your gear, min max everything and go for it, will be a very different story

The game itself isn't broken; being online only has put it in the precarious situation of depending on SOMEONE ELSE to handle log-ins. If - instead of servers being down they were full - people wouldn't be calling the game "broken."
Semantics aside, the game does not work as intended and is, however you slice it, broken at a fundamental level. When this is resolved, no one will care whether it was title update that fixed it or MS fixing their servers (think non-core gamer). The key selling point of the game did not work at release and still doesn't.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Semantics aside, the game does not work as intended and is, however you slice it, broken at a fundamental level. When this is resolved, no one will care whether it was title update that fixed it or MS fixing their servers (think non-core gamer). The key selling point of the game did not work at release and still doesn't.

That's not semantics. It is simply the truth of the matter. The game is not broken and calling it broken just further dilutes the label for games that deserve the title. The servers that host the game were ill-equipped to deal with player load: that is not on the developer.

And if you still aren't able to get in I would look for a solution as there are more than a few people online right now (including myself).

Gediminas

Banned
but legendary drop rate is nonsense in this game. i started riding WT13, but until now i got 0 legendaries from gameplay, just 3 legendaries as reward. i also see that they nerfed huge numbers in legendary drop rates. before it was 750% on WT15.

GreyHand23

Seeing how this is true of basically every online game in the last 10+ years, I think it's a bit premature to project so much doom and gloom. Many other launches were worse than this and the games ended up being successful. If the server situation is fixed within the next couple of weeks the game will be fine.

GreyHand23

but legendary drop rate is nonsense in this game. i started riding WT13, but until now i got 0 legendaries from gameplay, just 3 legendaries as reward. i also see that they nerfed huge numbers in legendary drop rates. before it was 750% on WT15.

Plenty of mechanics to get legendaries and drop rate is generous in the end game expeditions. Seeing as how they are the top of the line drops and there is nothing above them, I wouldn't expect them to not be rare even at WT13 which is not even close to CT15.

TheMan

Yeah, having fun solo (although I found out the hard way that the game doesn't automatically save progress all the time?) although I'd prefer coop. Impossible to matchmake last night. Here's hoping they can fix things asap.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The WT seems to be a take on Diablo 3's rift tiers and I think thats one of the coolest/smartest things in the game. I could see myself falling into that grind just like D3.

heringer

Anyone else having issues with the Hunt the Prey skill not putting you faced to the back of the enemy every time? Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but sometimes I teleport with my back directed at the enemy.

That's not semantics. It is simply the truth of the matter. The game is not broken and calling it broken just further dilutes the label for games that deserve the title. The servers that host the game were ill-equipped to deal with player load: that is not on the developer.

And if you still aren't able to get in I would look for a solution as there are more than a few people online right now (including myself).
It's an online only game though, the servers are part of the game. If they are offline, the game does not work. If there was a single player offline component, we'd be having a different conversation and you could separate the two. MS and the developers are in the same bed, unfortunately.

Seeing how this is true of basically every online game in the last 10+ years, I think it's a bit premature to project so much doom and gloom. Many other launches were worse than this and the games ended up being successful. If the server situation is fixed within the next couple of weeks the game will be fine.
So it's ok that it doesn't work for "the next couple of weeks" and we shouldn't strive to have better launches? That's an interesting take to be sure

Woo-Fu

Banned

I got 0 legendary drops on my way to level 30. The only legendary items I had came from quests.

Got the first one as a drop farming the hunt bosses in Dunes.

sainraja

So now that I have played the game a little bit and have been watching some videos on it and yes I still maintain that they can make this game into a 'GaaS' or 'live service' type of game. What I want to discuss now, is if People Can Fly does not make it into a GaaS or Live service game, leave it as-is, then, I don't see the point in chasing better gear outside of gear that you need to progress to the end of the story? Why would I want to return? Most games we play, you naturally unlock stuff to progress the story, you gain abilities, weaponry etc. Why does the game even require online?

I guess I have gotten so use to Destiny that I expect other similar games to follow that same direction.

Side question, does this game have exotic drops? or is legendary the highest type?

Last edited:

GreyHand23

So it's ok that it doesn't work for "the next couple of weeks" and we shouldn't strive to have better launches? That's an interesting take to be sure

Reading is key. Nowhere did I say that it is ok. I said the game will do fine if they fix the issue within the next few weeks. Obviously having a launch like this still has a negative impact and people are right to be upset. I was just saying that the game isn't a failure solely based on short term server issues.

Reading is key. Nowhere did I say that it is ok. I said the game will do fine if they fix the issue within the next few weeks. Obviously having a launch like this still has a negative impact and people are right to be upset. I was just saying that the game isn't a failure solely based on short term server issues.
H96Csye.gif

Just completed the story. Really good stuff - I was thoroughly invested in it the whole way through. Only complaint in regards to the story is that the scene transitions are REALLY jarring sometimes.

Also, I was extremely surprised to see Inon Zur's name in the credits. I thought the soundtrack was mostly generic, especially during combat. Inon could (and has) done better.

Anyway, I'm dipping my toes into Expeditions now. Barely completed the first one solo with a Gold... I'm gonna need a whole lot of Titanium to upgrade my gear lol

You got a bad build for it and thats it mate, not that complicated. Stats in this game matter an awful LOT at endgame. Try not having one wasted mod slot on your gear, min max everything and go for it, will be a very different story

Running same build at Tier 6 with in coop and i cleared it without any problem. So no it's not just build it's content being not tuned well at all for solo. It's way too many mobs at times, it's just absurd honestly.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I guess I have gotten so use to Destiny that I expect other similar games to follow that same direction.

Side question, does this game have exotic drops? or is legendary the highest type?
Destiny 1 wasn't a GaaS - that came with Destiny 2 when Bungie introduced season passes. I'm pretty sure Outriders will get a lot of DLC down the road.

Exotic is a Destiny term. Epic and Legendary is Legendary and Exotic.

Destiny 1 wasn't a GaaS - that came with Destiny 2 when Bungie introduced season passes. I'm pretty sure Outriders will get a lot of DLC down the road.

Destiny was doing season passes before the game even launched.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Destiny was doing season passes from before the game launched.
Expansion is not the same as season pass.

"Bungie released four expansion packs, furthering the story, and adding new content, missions, and new PvP modes. Year One of Destiny featured two small expansions, The Dark Below in December 2014 and House of Wolves in May 2015. A third, larger expansion, The Taken King, was released in September 2015 and marked the beginning of Year Two, changing much of the core gameplay. The base game and the first three expansions were packaged into Destiny: The Taken King Legendary Edition. Another large expansion called Rise of Iron was released in September 2016, beginning Year Three."

Last edited:
Expansion is not the same as season pass.

"Bungie released four expansion packs, furthering the story, and adding new content, missions, and new PvP modes. Year One of Destiny featured two small expansions, The Dark Below in December 2014 and House of Wolves in May 2015. A third, larger expansion, The Taken King, was released in September 2015 and marked the beginning of Year Two, changing much of the core gameplay. The base game and the first three expansions were packaged into Destiny: The Taken King Legendary Edition. Another large expansion called Rise of Iron was released in September 2016, beginning Year Three."
One uses the word expansion and the other uses the word season, but both largely did the same thing. Both of them were designed to get players to purchase content that wasn't available yet. Semantics aside, there's currently no pass of any sort available for Outriders.

Forgetting all about that for a moment, I think the expansions or season passes aren't what made Destiny a GaaS title. That I feel happened when microtransactions were added to the game, many of which were available for a limited time only. Limited time rewards that required a good deal of grinding also fit the description, for me at least. It's an interesting topic to discuss just when does a game cross into GaaS territory.

Reizo Ryuu

One uses the word expansion and the other uses the word season, but both largely did the same thing.
No not really, destiny 2 season passes are actually for 1 season, so you get 4 in an entire year; they aren't "expansions", they are just "battlepass" kind of grind level up rewards.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
One uses the word expansion and the other uses the word season, but both largely did the same thing. Both of them were designed to get players to purchase content that wasn't available yet. Semantics aside, there's currently no pass of any sort available for Outriders.

Forgetting all about that for a moment, I think the expansions or season passes aren't what made Destiny a GaaS title. That I feel happened when microtransactions were added to the game, many of which were available for a limited time only. Limited time rewards that required a good deal of grinding also fit the description, for me at least. It's an interesting topic to discuss just when does a game cross into GaaS territory.
We've just had this conversation couple days ago. It's really not up for debate.

GaaS is subscription-based - a subscription can be a microtransaction, unless it's not micro. If microtransactions are optional and not something interfering with progression/content it's not GaaS.

DLC/Expansion is content that can come out whenever the developer choose to release it - not a mandatory reoccuring 'thing' that has to come out every 3 months.

In 3 years Destiny had 4 expansions. In 2 years Apex Legends have had 8 season passes. There's a difference.

Last edited:

sainraja

I am actually talking about Destiny 2 (I should have added that 2 there because that confused you....whoops) and I wasn't saying exotic is a Outriders term; I was just wondering if they have that or similar type of weapons or is legendary the highest type. But you do know that Bungie isn't versioning anymore? They were initially planning on bringing back a lot from the original game into Destiny 2. Anyway, unless something changes substantially or we are two generations out, we're not going to see a Destiny 3. I think they should just drop the 2 and rebrand and refer to the original as classic or something but this is a conversation for another day.

EDIT

Oh, you did answer the question. So Epic is basically Exotic in Outrider world. That's what I was asking.

Last edited:

sainraja

Destiny was doing season passes before the game even launched.

I think they were called annual passes.

Destiny 2 has gone through a lot of changes since it launched. Now the game is pretty much a free to play title with a marketplace that you can purchase things from or you can grind bright dust to purchase them when they are on a rotation. You can also get engram drops for the 'eververse' (basically loot boxes) that can unlock stuff from the eververse store. For me, micro transactions alone don't make a game into a GaaS title (UC4/Overwatch have microtransactions.) Based on the back and forth on what makes a GaaS game or not, I think, one thing is clear to me, going forward, the criteria will keep changing.

EDIT

Added the 2 there! Lol I have already rebranded the game as just Destiny as I keep writing that. Sorry!

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Finally got to play this for a few hours after waiting about 10 minutes at the login screen at first.

Fun single player game, although the transitions are super jarring. Like, stepping through a door goes like this:
  • Press X to interact with door
  • Screen fades to black
  • Cutscene shows your character opening the door
  • Screen fades to black again
  • You're now in the new location
This makes zoning between locations feel really... unfinished.

The shooting feels pretty good and the skills are fun and varied. The skill tree is ace. Game is really a lot of fun, but I don't give two shits about the multiplayer aspects of the game which means the always online requirement pisses me off to no end. I'd be mad as hell if the game wasn't on Game Pass, in all honesty.

sainraja

Finally got to play this for a few hours after waiting about 10 minutes at the login screen at first.

Fun single player game, although the transitions are super jarring. Like, stepping through a door goes like this:
  • Screen fades to black

The shooting feels pretty good and the skills are fun and varied. The skill tree is ace. Game is really a lot of fun, but I don't give two shits about the multiplayer aspects of the game which means the always online requirement pisses me off to no end. I'd be mad as hell if the game wasn't on Game Pass, in all honesty.

I have had the game 'hang' on the login screen on both PS5 & XSX and one way I was able to get around it was by closing the game and restarting it, then it gets me in fairly fast.

sainraja

Sacha Baron Cohen Yes GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Uhm.. No.. What? You're confusing yourself.
They are not going to do annual passes anymore is what I am saying. We're going to get a main expansion (the main expansion will give us the option to purchase the seasons alongside it or purchase the seasons individually.) What are you disagreeing with?

EDIT

They changed how they sell content with Shadowkeep:
Bungie is changing the way it sells content with Destiny 2: Shadowkeep. Going forward, all Destiny 2 expansions and season passes will be available on a standalone basis. In the spirit of this change, today Bungie made the three-part Year 2 Annual Pass free with Destiny 2: Forsaken.
Source: https://www.gamesradar.com/all-destiny-2-forsaken-owners-now-get-the-year-2-annual-pass-for-free/

EDIT

But who knows, they may change how they sell content when they launch The Witch Queen.

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

Yup the legendary rate is ass. I have to farm titan to buy Droppod currency and then i can buy legendarys lol
The expeditions are broken for me with other people. Either terrible lag or crashes crashes.

iorek21

So, how’s the game at a fundamental level? I mean, how’s the story, sidequests, level design etc.?

The demo felt a little too generic for my tastes, bland level design; story began in a very interesting way, but soon turned into Mad Max; gameplay felt okay, but I guess we can only really feel it after ten hours or so.

Reizo Ryuu

• Screen fades to black
This is because of coop.
All the "press button" sections are for voting and making sure everyone is synchronised before moving on.

Top Bottom