• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders |OT| So much content, is this a GaaS? No, just an anomaly.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I had a friend lose 2 characters tonight to the inventory wipe. A lvl 18 and a Lvl 24. You can’t even sign in and go buy new gear or anything it just server errors rendering the character useless.

That is a terrible bug.

I think they've just destroyed their game by pushing out a patch on a Friday that destroys a player's inventory in a looter/shooter. They knew it was doing it from the PC players getting the patch and then they went through with rolling it out to PS and Xbox anyway.

The people who are aware of it aren't playing the game until it is fixed. The people who aren't aware of it are playing right up until their inventory is destroyed.

Last edited:

Desless1

Just finished the story, not one wipe, no major bugs, couple of map quest line annoyances... else ok. Quite cool story overall, and lots of lore and interesting tidbits to read.

I have not tried multiplayer yet, due to wipe of equipment. And yeah the patch on Friday was a bit strange, however the nerf was the worse part for my trickster. Had to reduce WT tier quite often for boss fights and the biggest packs to get through them.

All in all, good game, looking forward to patch 5 where things get stabilized and I can get into expeditions and such.

Just lost all my inventory, the bug is real. Fuck this game, wrote in for a refund. Unbelievable how terrible of a launch this game has had.

Woo-Fu

Banned
How does it happen?

What it appears to be is that the server sends you your client data---including inventory items---and then a bug/disconnect whatever prevents that data from making it to the player, then the player's game goes ahead and tells the server to "save my current state" which is having no items at all, overwriting your original data.

Doesn't look like they're doing any sanity checking on the backend to catch stuff like this. Probably had some and then dropped it when their model couldn't handle the load at all the first 3 days. Since you can't have an empty slot once you've put an item in it it seems like it would be fairly trivial for the server to reject any dataset update that involved creating an empty slot.

This has happened very rarely ever since the demo. The recent patch made it happen far more often. They still haven't restored anybody AFAIK and when talking about potential restoration they've said it will only be epic/legendary and your epic items are unlikely to have the same stats they had previously, which makes them effectively worthless anyhow if you needed anything from them other than base armor.

I think they might have entered the realm of FUBAR with this patch.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

What it appears to be is that the server sends you your client data---including inventory items---and then a bug/disconnect whatever prevents that data from making it to the player, then the player's game goes ahead and tells the server to "save my current state" which is having no items at all, overwriting your original data.

Doesn't look like they're doing any sanity checking on the backend to catch stuff like this. Probably had some and then dropped it when their model couldn't handle the load at all the first 3 days. Since you can't have an empty slot once you've put an item in it it seems like it would be fairly trivial for the server to reject any dataset update that involved creating an empty slot.

This has happened very rarely ever since the demo. The recent patch made it happen far more often. They still haven't restored anybody AFAIK and when talking about potential restoration they've said it will only be epic/legendary and your epic items are unlikely to have the same stats they had previously, which makes them effectively worthless anyhow if you needed anything from them other than base armor.

I think they might have entered the realm of FUBAR with this patch.
Well, shit. I'm about three hours into the game and I think i'll hold off for a bit longer. Sounds bloody awful :/

So frustrating. I really like this game but now I can't get on it. We was doing cross play 2 days ago when it booted us out. Now whenever I click continue game (single player) or join game.... I get to a black screen with an icon in the middle but nothing happens. Before I used to get the outriders loading screen and then it went into the game. The black screen just stays there and does nothing.

Somethings gone seriously wrong and I havnt been able to play for 2 days now. Not come across many others getting this screen.

UXKzqOY.png

Last edited:

martino

so i'm level 26 now. (world level almost 11)
I really like the gameplay so far but and there is a "but"...the problem all shooter /looter have seems to be there again :
Enemy diversity..
removing what i guess are specials story bosses i counted 8 enemies type (with multiple skin swap
even species one it seems but i've just met them maybe they will diversity before the end ?
) with 6 "semi boss" types
And they are only coming in a low variety of 4-5 of them overall (a miss opportunity. why not more and fighting also between themselves)
I don't now how long this will keep me into it. the base is strong yet too simple to last very long imo.
They can build a lot onto it with dlc . Let's just hope it will not be "recycling" same things over and over with near nothing new a la destiny.

GymWolf

With the inventory wipe bug i'm not risking my main devastator character but i'm having a lot of fun with my secondary pyro.

Bridges

Ended up loving this game, was playing it every day since launch but now I'm at a standstill, one of my squadmates got the glitch and lost his inventory, the rest of us don't want to play without him or risk it happening to us.

I really hope this gets better soon, as the game itself is way better than it seems, but it's just one thing after another with the server issues and glitches. If I had paid full price and this happened to me I'd probably refund it

Sacred

I love the game, but I have had so many crashes, had NPC's just disappear and I have to reload to get them to come back, had my guns bug on me three times where I couldn't shoot, I've had my World Tier reset twice for no reason while I was playing story content, and quests the won't update their locations. The combat is so much fun and the story isn't half bad, but these bugs are really killing the game for me atm.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Thankfully I managed to get through the story without issues. I skipped almost all the cutscenes the whole way through though so I can hardly say the story engaged me. But the game itself is a lot of fun when you're playing, I think the world tier system is pretty smart.

Been playing Expeditions for a while now and I've encountered a lot more problems when playing those. A lot of disconnects, both teammates and myself. It's especially annoying when the host diconnects becase it really ruins the whole run. Yesterday we managed to finish a difficult expedition and were about to open the pod and then "Host connection problem", and the entire expedition re-set from the begining (whitout any loot being registered from the sections we cleared).

GymWolf

If you get stuck in the first access granted screen, just turn off the console and detach the power cord for a minute, it's not optimal but it works most of the times.

pr0cs

I want to like the game, it does hook you pretty good when things click, but fuck me the 'sticky cover' shit is fucking frustrating and some parts of the game are silly easy and some parts are ridiculously hard (Moloch).
It's a shame because it's a good looter shooter and there hasn't been a really good one for a while but I've lost count how many times the game has crashed back to desktop (oneX) and that inventory bug sounds terrifying.

Dynasty8

I enjoyed the campaign, had fun with it and was entertained by the world and story...but is the end game simply just Expeditions?

GymWolf

I want to like the game, it does hook you pretty good when things click, but fuck me the 'sticky cover' shit is fucking frustrating and some parts of the game are silly easy and some parts are ridiculously hard (Moloch).
It's a shame because it's a good looter shooter and there hasn't been a really good one for a while but I've lost count how many times the game has crashed back to desktop (oneX) and that inventory bug sounds terrifying.
Lol strange how stuff works, for me moloch was the easiest boss in the game, some minor bosses in small locations were far more difficult, or even gauss at the beginning...

pr0cs

Lol strange how stuff works, for me moloch was the easiest boss in the game, some minor bosses in small locations were far more difficult, or even gauss at the beginning...
I have been playing everything thus far on tier 5-6 but after trying 20 or so times I had to downgrade to tier 2 in order to beat him which REALLY pissed me off.

GymWolf

I have been playing everything thus far on tier 5-6 but after trying 20 or so times I had to downgrade to tier 2 in order to beat him which REALLY pissed me off.
It's a question of honor for me, i never gonna downgrade the world tier because the game is not harder than stuff like remnant from the ashes or any gears game on hard difficulty and if i can beat those, i can beat this one.

Also the skills and potential builds can become stupidly op and without challenge i don't see the point of upgrading my character.

Last edited:

pr0cs

It's a question of honor for me
which is why I was so pissed off, I finished all the Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Doom Eternal etc yet with my build there was no way to do enough damage on him before I eventually flamed out. I don't mind difficult if it's fair but Moloch is straight up bullshit, likely due to my toon.

GymWolf

which is why I was so pissed off, I finished all the Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Doom Eternal etc yet with my build there was no way to do enough damage on him before I eventually flamed out. I don't mind difficult if it's fair but Moloch is straight up bullshit, likely due to my toon.
I onestly think that you had a non optimal build because i fucked him up with 2 characters at first try and believe me, i'm no champion or super skilled, far from that, i died a lot against other bosses but his attacks were pretty easy to avoid imo.

Plantoid

I'm playing it solo, 1 hour a day, lvl 22, world tier 6... Game is fun, but I think I will reach the end of story and call it a day, maybe outriders 2 will hook me up a bit more, however I'm gonna say that playing it for free on gamepass was totally worth it, game runs like butter on series X

Bridges

You should be rarely using cover unless you're sniping imo. The game is designed around aggressive play, more like DOOM than CoD as far as wanting you to run and jump around enemies instead of hiding behind cover (though I guess a lot of it has to do with your build/class). I treat cover more as a last resort more than anything else.

Yeah seconded, I found Moloch way easier than most of the other bosses, we were probably around World Tier 8 at that point but we did have a full squad which may have made the difference.
If the bosses are giving you trouble, you should probably be doing more sidequests to get more mods and create better gear.

pr0cs

If the bosses are giving you trouble
Only Moloch thus far, everything else has been cake, even the trench fight getting to him was really easy at Tier 5 solo
I'm specc'd heavy into Devastator Anomaly skills which doesn't seem to do enough damage to him, most of which bring you in close which doesn't give you a lot of time to react or roll away. I think my build is just shit for taking him on. There weren't any side-quests left for me to tackle and I refuse to 'grind for gear'.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Moloch was pretty easy yeah, because he doesn't have a gun and everything he does is dodgeable so he was mostly just a reaction based bossfight.

Sygma

hes the easiest boss of the whole game

shoot the kid in his back instead of moloch

Last edited:

Joho79

so i'm level 26 now. (world level almost 11)
I really like the gameplay so far but and there is a "but"...the problem all shooter /looter have seems to be there again :
Enemy diversity..
removing what i guess are specials story bosses i counted 8 enemies type (with multiple skin swap
even species one it seems but i've just met them maybe they will diversity before the end ?
) with 6 "semi boss" types
And they are only coming in a low variety of 4-5 of them overall (a miss opportunity. why not more and fighting also between themselves)
I don't now how long this will keep me into it. the base is strong yet too simple to last very long imo.
They can build a lot onto it with dlc . Let's just hope it will not be "recycling" same things over and over with near nothing new a la destiny.
How the f can you be at wt 11? I just turned lvl 26 and I struggle to get to wt 9. Getting real close but due to some elite and get pushed back..

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
With the inventory wipe bug i'm not risking my main devastator character but i'm having a lot of fun with my secondary pyro.
I will do the same ty.

not sure if i will do pyro or technomancer
It’s crazy how much better the game runs now on my 3080 after last days patch.

pc gaming truly is fucked.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I will do the same ty.

not sure if i will do pyro or technomancer
It’s crazy how much better the game runs now on my 3080 after last days patch.

pc gaming truly is fucked.
Both pyro and techno are a lot of fun, but pyro with most build is kinda of a glass cannon, so be aware.

martino

How the f can you be at wt 11? I just turned lvl 26 and I struggle to get to wt 9. Getting real close but due to some elite and get pushed back..
i was 10 4/5 and i had to revert to level 9 at level 27 because it doesn't pass anymore (especially the first alien boss) to not loose too much of my level 10 level
i play full tank

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
After being so hooked up on this game during the campaign, I just lost interest in expeditions. They're too stressful for me in a way that two minutes feel like ten minutes actually. And even when I finish the expedition I don't feel much satisfaction.

Well, I've had amazing time during my 50 hours in this game, so I'm more that satisfied. I just wish it was the same in expeditions.

Hey Blinkin

After being so hooked up on this game during the campaign, I just lost interest in expeditions. They're too stressful for me in a way that two minutes feel like ten minutes actually. And even when I finish the expedition I don't feel much satisfaction.

Well, I've had amazing time during my 50 hours in this game, so I'm more that satisfied. I just wish it was the same in expeditions.

I've yet to finish the main story and I'm burned out of it myself.

Made it to WT9 and while I don't mind being swarmed with enemies, I can't manage that and the AOE that some of the bosses have at the same time.

It's just impossible for me to juggle that much at once, especially when they're dropping loot that's frequently worthless for the WT I'm on. It was a fun game but I've had my fill of it.

Best of luck to the rest of you Outriders!

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I've yet to finish the main story and I'm burned out of it myself.

Made it to WT9 and while I don't mind being swarmed with enemies, I can't manage that and the AOE that some of the bosses have at the same time.

It's just impossible for me to juggle that much at once, especially when they're dropping loot that's frequently worthless for the WT I'm on. It was a fun game but I've had my fill of it.

Best of luck to the rest of you Outriders!
Understandable if you absolutely want to finish the game in WT9. My first playthrough I did it on WT8. Now I'm speedrunning the main story on WT1 just to do Expeditions on my other chars.

I just popped the Plat

FgV7PNc.jpg

I have a serious Love/Hate relationship with this game. For the last 30 hours or so I found myself repeating "why the fuck am I still playing this?" Yet, there I was. Still playing it.

Some really fun bursts of gameplay sandwiched between lots of really mediocre everything else. Not sure if I am gonna delete or just move to extended storage in case they add something cool down the road.

Time to focus on Returnal and Mortal Shell before Ratchet drops next month

bender

What time is it?
I've played this in co-op with a buddy exclusively. We beat the 5th boss last night and it feels like we'll be stuck on WT8 moving forward. The more we play, the less enjoyable it has become. There are so many annoying design decisions but the difficulty curve from area to area just seems so bizarrely balanced and it's not like we'd been given loot upgrades to explain why we have to beat our head against a wall in one section to be followed up with a cake walk in the very next. The game also doesn't feel like it was play tested as far as how ammo boxes were placed. There are far too many instances of having to go through multiple encounters without a chance to replenish ammo. Loot drops also mostly suck. My first legendary was a sniper riffle which is something I never use. At least the one that dropped last night is useful but one legendary in god-knows-how-many hours does not make for a good loot game. Not being able to trade loot sucks too. It's a shame as I think the skills and modifiers they've put together are pretty interesting and the modification system to loot is also pretty great, but it all seems in service to the poor loot drops in the first place, which kind of defeats the purpose. *shrug*

I've been playing this game solo the past few days and I'm having a lot of fun. I'm WT6 right now and I just beat the volcano boss in one shot. I have the WT set to the highest one available but if I ever feel the game starts getting too tough I will lower the WT difficulty. I'm in this for the gameplay, story and world building, I don't care too much for the grind or the loot.

Top Bottom