• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 50,000 Japanese users vote for their favorite console games in TV Asahi poll – Top 100 announced

Ridaxan

Super diverse list they have going there. lol.

51783771420_758634aa3b_o.png

Last edited:
xenophobia?!?....WTF???

LOL some people here, why can't you accept that people from different country have different taste....it's like me not liking Greek or Arabic food....
Believe me, that's a big part of Japanese culture. only now they started to lean back a bit, but even then it's common for many japanese to see foregeiners, mainly, westerners as weirdos or morons or something if i recall correctly

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
FFVIII sneaking in at 90. We in there bros.

Final Fantasy 8 Xbox One X GIF by Xbox

Not surprised to see FFX so high. It may have had a mixed reception among jaded older fans back then, but today's older fans grew up with that game. Kind of like a Star Wars prequel type situation (although X was never as hated as the prequels).

A top 100 list that doesn't include Doom is a list to be laughed at. Terrible list.

Doom actually does have a niche Japanese fandom. The most prominent thing is their Japanese Community wad created by fans. I'd give it a solid 6 outta 10 by megawad standards, pretty fun.

jp1.png

Last edited:

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Doom actually does have a niche Japanese fandom. The most prominent thing is their Japanese Community wad created by fans. I'd give it a solid 6 outta 10 by megawad standards, pretty fun.

jp1.png
Good to know there's at least someone who have taste. Was pretty fun to see that weeb vtuber Korone whatever playing Doom 64.

Fake

People are so much into console war that not even question some amazing Nintendo Switch games out of that list.

Indeed. What I learned looking at this list.
1. Japanese xenophobia is even reflected in their gaming taste.

Now just imagine what you could learn reading Twitter/Facebook.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Where does the linked article say of all time?

So what exactly are you suggesting? This poll is about what your favorite games are RIGHT NOW and people answered dragon quest 5 and crono trigger?

I intentionally misled people using "subtle slickness"? To what end?

Kotaku and most other articles used the words "of all time" but i used the gematsu article because it was simpler.

Just say whatever it is you wanna say, weirdo.

S0ULZB0URNE

So what exactly are you suggesting? This poll is about what your favorite games are RIGHT NOW and people answered dragon quest 5 and crono trigger?

I intentionally misled people using "subtle slickness"? To what end?

Kotaku and most other articles used the words "of all time" but i used the gematsu article because it was simpler.

Just say whatever it is you wanna say, weirdo.
You added something that wasn't, period.

SNG32

It’s nice to think that a good majority of those games can be played on pc in some form of emulation or through a pc release. I bet you can count on one hand the ones you can’t such as persona 5 royal, and ghost of Tsushima

S0ULZB0URNE

so just to be clear.... you think I added that to be subtle and slick (your words), and that people answered this poll based on what their current favorite games are, even though much of the list is from 30 years ago.
It wasn't there,(in the linked article)but you changed the wording.... because?
This isn't hard.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Wow they REALLY don't like western games do they? Take all the Japanese made games off this list you wouldn't have any left. Where are the western RPGs? The Witcher 3, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout, Divinity Original Sin 2? Really almost no FPS at all either.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It wasn't there,(in the linked article)but you changed the wording.... because?
This isn't hard.

Because it's so easy to infer they were talking about all time when you look at the list and when the games are from. Apparently this is really hard for you.

And that's not the point. What do you think I was trying to accomplish and be subtle / slick about?

here you go lil bud: just a quick google and most articles came to same conclusion i did.

S0ULZB0URNE

Because it's so easy to infer they were talking about all time when you look at the list and when the games are from. Apparently this is really hard for you.

And that's not the point. What do you think I was trying to accomplish and be subtle / slick about?

here you go lil bud: just a quick google and most articles came to same conclusion i did.
So because NINTENDO fan sites did what you did.... it makes it right?

How old some games on the list are is irrelevant, many people still play older stuff and if asked what there current favorites are could name older titles.

Title was changed so it doesn't matter now anyway.

TLZ

Banned
Super Mario Bros 3 is best Mario. Thanks list.

I'm kind of surprised that not one Castlevania, Metroid or Silent Hill game is on there.

Edit: Not even the first Contra.

😮‍💨

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Breath of the Wild isn’t as unique as people think but things like the link waking up 100 years after an event, the "Sheikah Slate”, and shrines make breath of the Wild a complete game.

ranmafan

So because NINTENDO fan sites did what you did.... it makes it right?

How old some games on the list are is irrelevant, many people still play older stuff and if asked what there current favorites are could name older titles.

Title was changed so it doesn't matter now anyway.
While like I said before when I asked about it I understand your issue with the title even though it’s a small issue in my opinion, it’s not just Nintendo fansites that used “of all time.” Major news sites did as well. And honestly, I don’t think it’s wrong at all. Is the term “of all time” literally word for word used in the Japanese name of the show or articles, not literally no, but they wouldn’t say it that way either as it’s implied in the meaning of the show itself.

If we want to get as literal as possible, the show was called “Voted by 50000 people all over the nation, TV game election!” TV game being the Japanese word for video game. The introduction to the show which explains the reasoning and rules for the list, which was inspired by the Tokyo Olympic opening ceremonies use of video game music, asked for people to name their favorite games of all time. The only limits were that only console games, home and portables, were included. Something that makes sense for Japan as that is what Japanese gamers view as a video game the most.

Gematsu made the decision to not use “of all time” in its article describing the list, but almost every other article has and while the Japanese show and articles didn’t use those words precisely in the title, they didn’t need to as the meaning is implied. I can understand the complaint more if it’s about what games are missing cause of the rules, then I get your issue. But really this is a small thing to really have an issue over.

Very Nintendo heavy. Sony's hardware sold well once upon a time in Japan, but the software on their platforms didn't leave as big a mark as it should have.

This is also a way better list to me than most western top 100 lists from broad surveys, but then I'm a weeaboo. I'm wondering if there are westaboos in Japan who think this list is casualized garbage and love our regular top 100 lists instead.

I think Switch popularity plays a big role in this list, 4 Switch titles in Top-10......that, and the fact that PlayStation brand is dying in Japan

Nintendo has an enviable position right now, they have a very strong walled garden; the strongest first party line-up AND complete Japan market dominance.

And to those who say Japan doesn't matter anymore, just remember, per capita wise, Japan still has the largest gaming market in the world

Not bad really. Some great games missing and some crappy games in there but overall solid.

I was worried the top would all be kingdom hearts games after hearing sora was the most requested smash character

Celcius

°Temp. member
How is Vanilla Persona 5 like 50 spots higher than Persona 5 Royal? This list is clearly wack.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Unsurprisingly it’s a list of great games, though my list would probably be a lot different.

Didn’t expect BotW to be #1 tbh. Pretty neat.

Vagswarm

Are the Kingdom Hearts games any good? They're all on sale for the PC and it looks like they're remasters. Though I don't have faith in Square's PC ports.

Miyamoto thanking Japan for choosing 40+ Nintendo titles to be on the list

This is Miyamoto. Thank you for voting for many Nintendo titles in the "Video Game General Election" that aired last night. It was also an opportunity to recall each scene of game development that has been repeated for nearly 40 years. We will continue to create video games that will bring new experiences to everyone.

So I was watching my recording of the special last night again today and thought I would add some notes that I’ve noticed many sites haven’t posted about the list. Games were limited to video games on home and portable consoles, and so it looks like cell phone games were not allowed. Which would’ve been interesting had they had as I bet a few games would’ve made it on the list. Every game had at least 30000 units in sales. People voted their top five games and it was on a point system:

1st -10 points
2nd - 7 points
3rd - 5 points
4th - 3 points
5th - 1 point

Final rankings were done by point totals. For example the first title shown number 70 (71-100 were annouced a week before online) monster Hunter world had 660 points. Zelda had 74000 points.almost 20000 points more than second place dragon quest 5.

Some extra information. Undertale was very popular in the lowest age group, 6th place for boys, 5th for girls. Smash Bros for switch was number one for boys in the kids/teens and twenties group, and girls was not far behind. They also showed a clip of the Nintendo New York showing of the unveil with all the people going crazy to show how popular it is abroad. Dragon quest 3 was number one in the 40s age group with both men and women and almost number one for the 50s and 30s as well. Dq5 was number one in both men and women for the 50s group. Splatoon two was big with kids and twenty. Year olds. Was first place among the girls kids/teens group, and 3rd for girls in the twenties group. The program did not present info on how Zelda breath of the wild did in each group surprisingly. They did show an interesting number though. They interviewed the singer of the mazinger z theme song and showed he had played the game for 3155 hours!

Overall the show was fun to watch. Lots of interviews with game personalities. And even the “talent”’on the shows panel were surprisingly well versed in games.

Just read this post, very interesting info, thanks!!

This just shows you how entrenched gaming culture is in Japan, far more than in the US and West. And Japan still spends far more on gaming on per capita basis. For Sony to abandon Japan, their home base, to focus on the US and the West, that's a HUGE mistake

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The order in which the Pokemon games are listed alone disqualifies this list.

Kokoloko85

Thats a random ass top 100.
Splatoon 1 and 2 over MGS, Zelda OOT and Super Mario 64. And MGS at 79?
Final Fantasy X over Final Fantasy 6 and 9?

Alot of it is cool but doesn’t really reflect a single persons top 100 ( definitely not mine ) just an average

I should look for my top 100, its in a excel file somewhere lol

Top Bottom