• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overall, do you think social media has been good or bad for society?

clem84

Gold Member
I don't listen to every JR podcast but this one was super interesting, and very troubling. You'll have your answer after a listen.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The robot got it. Incredible technology that way too many people misuse.

Tschumi

It hacks us, hacks checks and balances, hacks fact, hacks knowledge, it's degrading our collective intelligence by the year, it spawns meaningless arguments that let your average poorly educated middle class'er think they're making a difference while corporations gleefully perpetrate worse and worse crimes...

It's making a fool out of billions.

Ellery

It is the new form of perfect control. It influences and manipulates us way too much. At first the idea of social media was probably good and pure and there were certainly upsides to it thinking we live in an enlightened age being able to share information globally, but money, power and capitalism took control over it and ruined it.

You control the opinions and the narrative. When the great garbage patch in the ocean is 50% plastic fishing nets then a video of a plastic straw in a turtle's nose goes virtal then that is what the discussion is about and not the multi trillion dollar fishing industry. Now we are using paper straws because 0,03% of the great garbage patch is made out of plastic straws. As easy as a #plasticstraw hashtag going viral.

We consume so fast and have such a short attention span that digital content must be consumed in seconds and then we move on and we don't even know what is real or fake anymore. By design. We watched something 3 days ago that turns out to be fake? It doesn't matter we saved it in our brains and we don't go back and we don't care about corrections to those contents. We have to consume new stuff.

There are good things to social media, don't get me wrong. Youtube is a social media platform and there is plenty of great stuff on there. You can pick what to watch and where your money goes, even though you are being analyzed and then the algorithms recommend further content to you and what content is being shared on youtube is carefully controlled. Monetized videos with ads and sponsored content are on the top of the search and recommended site. Companies pay other companies just so that their website is being listed on the first site of google searches.

We think we move freely in a sandbox web of content, but it is more like a billion different linear pathways to guide people individually.

Social media has become a distraction for fools and it has become so entangled into everyone's life (and reality) that you can't really escape even if you are aware.

We always look back to previous centuries and think "how stupid were those idiots back 500 years being controlled by X and thinking Y", but we are right in the middle of it ourselves and nearly nobody realizes it. Obviously I can't predict the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if in future people will look back on our time and say "how could those idiots not realize that corperations were getting way too powerful and lobbyism paved the way for a plutocracy and those fools were slaves to consumerism being fueles by flashing digital lights".

Wildebeest

Stop thinking too much and enjoy the crispy food your air fryer produces. I was raised by television screens, do you think I'm not any more messed up. Well, perhaps. The television was like a buffer between the hostile self-centred stupidity of the world and the individual, while social media is like a high-powered amplifier. And people love it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Awful for society.

Social media has made people a lot more toxic, especially in politics where it has encouraged extreme political views and echo chambers. Go and have a look on Twitter or FB and you'll be hard pushed to find some political middle ground.

You have left wing views? Well in the eyes of the social media mob that makes you a Marxist, communist looney liberal. You have right wing views? Too bad. According to the social media mob you're a racist, bigot, white supremacist Nazi. You're more in the centre? Woe to you. You're sided eyed by left and right of social media.

It's not just politics either that is toxic on social media. It's also can be incredibly damaging for your mental health. TikTok is clearly the worst for this by promoting and encouraging damaging ideas.

Social media is also a cesspit of lies and misinformation. Everybody has a voice on social media, but that gives a lot of people the freedom to spread misinformation to manipulate others and share their toxic views.

I could easily go on and write an essay, but I'll stop here and say social media is probably the most damaging creation in human history, that is until the metaverse becomes reality in a few years.

lifa-cobex

I tend to think of it as a good reflection into a base instinct of what people really are.
That being people are self absorbed, base and want to project an image of superiority.
I also think that social media sites will magnify/encourage that to a certain existent.

Of course not all people. If you use it as just a basic communication tool then it's fantastic.
I think it's very easy to blame the tool but I think the problem itself is just the people who use it. We're a bunch of fucking nutters and people have become comfortable with showing that.
I don't think social media has made people into anything. People have always just sucked and now you can see it in detail.

I do miss the days when the internet was primarily used by Geeks and more outcast types. As much as everyone argued. Their was an undercurrent of understanding for the most part.
Now older and newer gens have jumped on and it's become a corporate chern of BS only designed to sell adds.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Social media as a core concept isn’t inherently bad. As a tool to stay in touch with people it’s fine. But that’s not what we have.

What we call social media is something that has been warped and distorted away from simple, useful features in favour of algorithms that serve to feed you whatever the people that bought and paid for your data choose, and the result has been a net detriment to civilisation. That’s without mentioning the dopamine plague of likes that has infected younger generations.

There’s been lots of good too, and that could still exist without the algorithms fucking society up. But people are free to use or not use alternatives that did and do exist, but they’re locked into the Facebook ecosystem. Photos, calendars, contacts, messages, the lot.

BigBooper

Good I think, but I hate it.

It's probably too political to get much into, but think how much incompetence and corruption was baked into the systems people trusted that has been exposed due to social media.

We don't yet know what the outcome of breaking these illusions will be, but I'm hopeful and generally believe exposure and truth will make things better.

Personally, I don't use any of that junk. No FB, instagram, LinkedIn, Myspace, Twitter, Parler, or anything like them.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It is the new form of perfect control. It influences and manipulates us way too much. At first the idea of social media was probably good and pure and there were certainly upsides to it thinking we live in an enlightened age being able to share information globally, but money, power and capitalism took control over it and ruined it.

You control the opinions and the narrative. When the great garbage patch in the ocean is 50% plastic fishing nets then a video of a plastic straw in a turtle's nose goes virtal then that is what the discussion is about and not the multi trillion dollar fishing industry. Now we are using paper straws because 0,03% of the great garbage patch is made out of plastic straws. As easy as a #plasticstraw hashtag going viral.

We consume so fast and have such a short attention span that digital content must be consumed in seconds and then we move on and we don't even know what is real or fake anymore. By design. We watched something 3 days ago that turns out to be fake? It doesn't matter we saved it in our brains and we don't go back and we don't care about corrections to those contents. We have to consume new stuff.

We think we move freely in a sandbox web of content, but it is more like a billion different linear pathways to guide people individually.

Social media has become a distraction for fools and it has become so entangled into everyone's life (and reality) that you can't really escape even if you are aware.

We always look back to previous centuries and think "how stupid were those idiots back 500 years being controlled by X and thinking Y", but we are right in the middle of it ourselves and nearly nobody realizes it. Obviously I can't predict the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if in future people will look back on our time and say "how could those idiots not realize that corperations were getting way too powerful and lobbyism paved the way for a plutocracy and those fools were slaves to consumerism being fueles by flashing digital lights".
Yep. It’s literally MGS2 Skeleton Colonel’s speech, with the ironic twist that the people who pull out that jpg most often are among the most plagiarized by social media, of course. I’ve virtually never seen that speech quoted by someone who didn’t believe they were on the “right side of history” and wasn’t deep down the rabbit hole of modern progressivism.

Social media was mostly a good thing before (and still could be without):
1) some people started abusing it, requiring regulations that can only become more and more restrictive with time;
2) algorithms that make your consumption more selective and one-sided instead of broader and more expansive, leaving you with the apparent choice of making your own bubble smaller and smaller;
3) corporations and politicians abusing its control potential and its cultural influence on people;
4) bots.

Whitecrow

Banned
Let me be the one who says 'but it have memes!'

Seriously, I wanna punch the faces of everyone definding social networks with that argument.

They should disappear, but whatever, money >>>>> mental health

Vestal

Gold Member
To current and previous generations? Its a fucking mess. Social media has exposed a very little known fact about human behavior.. We all play to our audience, and having a permanent unfiltered and archived soapbox to family, friends and co-workers has unearthed a new level of tribalism that doesn't just span your neighborhood but the globe itself.

We were all brought up on creating interpersonal relationships through in person to person contact and not to the written word. The written word is a powerful tool, but one that cannot convey a persons emotion and true meaning/understanding without a deft pen or a massive wall of text. Even then you rely on the reader having a solid grasp of the written word and the willingness to read through all of the context in a conversation.

While social media has brought the "world" closer together, it has also pushed neighbors and friends apart. Hopefully the incoming generation will adapt more appropriately to this new communication reality. I think they do(seeing my two kids), they are growing up with it thus the friendships are built around this new paradigm.

UnNamed

Banned
When it comes to social media, do you view it more good or bad?
694.png

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Not reading the previous posts... But here's my take:

It all depends on how you use it. Too many see trips, dates, new gadgets and think "why can't my life be like that?" Those are just snapshots in time. Not every day. They have bad days, depression, fights, etc. No one has a great life every second of every day. No one looks that amazing ever second of every day.

I connect with my family and friends... Even made new friends in groups who have become close.

I follow inspiring or informative people like @thesamurider and @strawhat_goofy ...

I don't go down some weird social media rabbit hole like some of y'all who only see the worst of people. I rather be surrounded (digitally) by good people who can make me laugh and think.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Bad

That being said it does give users lots of tools. If you come away from social media depressed it may be you are not effectively using the filters/blocks/mutes that it gives you. You can cater it to your own experience whether you just wanna see non-political family, titties and ass, food & cooking, e.t.c.

Fbh

It has its uses, it's still a good tool to reconnect with old friends and it's a good and cheap tool for small businesses to reach and interact with their audience.
But overall no, it's a cancer that has made people unhappier, faker and more radical in their beliefs.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The technology itself was interesting at first glance some 18-years ago but now it harbors a pernicious environment which tears apart business', families, friends and brings out the absolute worst in people. Social media pre internet was not people showboating themselves while trying to break others down. It was families, friends and acquaintances that would meet at a surface level in home, travel or after hours business. The people who once met together and shared fellowship, stories and laughs now sit in rooms across from one another ignoring each other. Communication has become passive and sterile. That's bad for any society. I got rid of all that garbage long ago and encourage anyone else to do the same. I don't even buy the "but it's to keep in touch with my family that's far away." Okay...why not write a letter or call them? What did people do before? That's the answer.

T8SC

Instagram has shown me that it's bad. It's full of people living fake lives and hashtagging companies to get free stuff.

"OMG I had the best run today, i had my #Camelbak water bottle with me which has CHANGED MY LIFE. I so love everything right now & my #Adidas leggings are super comfy, i recommend to all my 120 actual followers buy them and the 350 bots to buy them too. #promote life is amazing. #givemefreestuff #lookatme #iactuallyhavenofriends

*Nightwing

It has been incredibly beneficial to me. I do not use or partake in any social media myself as knowledge is power and i always viewed giving away your personal information is irredeemable ignorance.

Why everyone else has bought on and not seen it this way is beyond me, but has made the job of collecting information on individuals for personal and professional needs beyond easy. Like there is no need for the private investigator industry now cause I have a library of all your info at my fingertips on my burner phone with all the personal information you are giving me yourselves. And since I don't have to pay a licensed investigator to get this info anymore, I use it quite indiscriminately.

On the negative side the social conditioning of consistently lying about reality to make the end goal of life appearing better than it really is online daily seems to be causing an epidemic of falsifying research in science and academia which is disheartening.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It hacks us, hacks checks and balances, hacks fact, hacks knowledge, it's degrading our collective intelligence by the year, it spawns meaningless arguments that let your average poorly educated middle class'er think they're making a difference while corporations gleefully perpetrate worse and worse crimes...

It's making a fool out of billions.
You can't pull people away from it either! When I abandoned all social media some time ago -- everyone was pissed off. I live more than 3,000 kilometers from my family in another country. The argument back then was, "how are we going to know if you're okay if you delete your accounts?" I stated, "I have international text messaging, a landline that allows me to dial any country in the world without charge, email and you can write a letter. It took years for those to start reaching out to me that way but there are still old friends and family that refuse to detach; therefore...we haven't been in contact for a couple years now.

I'm cool sharing some pictures here in GAF, talking off topic every now and then...but I don't need to go much further than that. If someone says, "hey, I'm visiting South Central Mexico -- could we meet up?" That would be a maybe. I prefer to see and know the person I'm talking to. The whole thing about disclosing your entire personal life, allow others to use your defects or their nitpicking against you and the garbage media being promoted on social media...never again man! I'll say it happily again...my social media is dead and buried.

Saber

Gold Member
Social is and aways will be bad.

It gives voice to the worst takes and most stupid people. And is still being used as a witch hunting tool.

FrankCaron

Global, free, mobile-first, ubiquitous, user-friendly, platform-agnostic, peer-to-peer and peer-to-group messaging? Good. Every other aspect, toxic.

Ellery

Yep. It’s literally MGS2 Skeleton Colonel’s speech, with the ironic twist that the people who pull out that jpg most often are among the most plagiarized by social media, of course. I’ve virtually never seen that speech quoted by someone who didn’t believe they were on the “right side of history” and wasn’t deep down the rabbit hole of modern progressivism.

Social media was mostly a good thing before (and still could be without):
1) some people started abusing it, requiring regulations that can only become more and more restrictive with time;
2) algorithms that make your consumption more selective and one-sided instead of broader and more expansive, leaving you with the apparent choice of making your own bubble smaller and smaller;
3) corporations and politicians abusing its control potential and its cultural influence on people;
4) bots.

Bots is a big one. Have you seen how A.I. is advancing? Take a look at what Nvidia is doing. Kinda scary how easy it will be to "fake" everything. It looks so damn realistic we won't have a chance to know what is a real human being anymore or not.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Worse than the fucking plague imo, it gives stupid cunts an echo chamber to go be with other stupid people and reinforce their stupid beliefs, it spawned fucking Trump ffs and countless other wannabe morons the world over, it is both dangerous and devious and humans should be fucking banned from it, I saw a mate who was a normal bloke who took the piss turn into an utter twat thinking Muslims where building mosques in every corner and children could be ordered from websites, I argued constantly with him and his "facebook" friends until I realised I'm shouting at the wind and deleted everything, we all know this, politicians know this and the wider public knows this and now Fuckerberg is trying to unleash social media 2.0 on the world via meta

Last edited:
Top Bottom