• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overcoming biases.

Korso

In my many years of gaming, I have become bias to a specific gaming ecosystem. I have said things and defended actions of this company that I, likely, otherwise would condemn. I have made purchases solely for the sake of "supporting" a company that doesn't even know I exist. I am a die-hard fan.

I love the ecosystem that I am a part of. Many great memories and games to be had there.
However, It has left me stuck in a position that I cant get out of. I have missed out on some great gaming experiences, solely due to my being narrow-minded. Yet, alas, I can not shake it.

How do you do it gaf? I need to break the bonds of blind-fandom and branch out. What are some suggestions that might have worked for you? Or am I forever cursed to live the life of a lemming?

Banjo64

cumsessed
In my many years of gaming, I have become bias to a specific gaming ecosystem. I have said things and defended actions of this company that I, likely, otherwise would condemn. I have made purchases solely for the sake of "supporting" a company that doesn't even know I exist. I am a die-hard fan.

I love the ecosystem that I am a part of. Many great memories and games to be had there.
However, It has left me stuck in a position that I cant get out of. I have missed out on some great gaming experiences, solely due to my being narrow-minded. Yet, alas, I can not shake it.

How do you do it gaf? I need to break the bonds of blind-fandom and branch out. What are some suggestions that might have worked for you? Or am I forever cursed to live the life of a lemming?
Open your wallet and buy the other two consoles and play the best games they have to offer? Weird thread.

Banjo64

cumsessed
So you’re a PS fan looking at your post history, which is great.

You say you have a PC. If it’s decent, forget about buying an Xbox. Just buy their first party through Steam.

You are seriously missing out by not having a Switch though, doubly so if you didn’t own a Wii U. They’re dirt cheap, and there’s a lot of insanely polished games on the system. Try watching some basic YouTube videos like ‘top 30 Switch games’ or ‘top Switch accessories’ etc to see if you can get in on it. It wouldn’t replace your love for PS, it’d just compliment it.

But if it doesn’t appeal, why worry? If you’re satisfied with PS - that’s great too. Love life mate, we’re here and then we’re gone.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Should this be in one of the other sections? Off topic or community?

The first step is admitting you have a problem, which you've done. Bravo. Is this behavior truly limited to just one hobby? If not, seek counseling maybe.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm biased towards PlayStation but it has never prevented me from enjoying games on other platforms. If you want to "branch out" then just do it.

motivational just do it GIF
just do it GIF
Do It Nike GIF by James Bond 007

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Don't apologize for the games you truly love and how you choose to enjoy them. That's my ultimate takeaway.

Companies and systems rise and fall, but your free time is precious. Don't spend it on a game that you feel 'should' be good; make sure it actually is. I had been following along with friends, trying what they play, because I wanted to keep the social elements going. But I got caught up buying a lot of games I ultimately regret.

Banned

they are just boxes
and with the words of Ricky Gervais:

Topher

Gold Member
Don't apologize for the games you truly love and how you choose to enjoy them. That's my ultimate takeaway.

Companies and systems rise and fall, but your free time is precious. Don't spend it on a game that you feel 'should' be good; make sure it actually is. I had been following along with friends, trying what they play, because I wanted to keep the social elements going. But I got caught up buying a lot of games I ultimately regret.

Yep. I've forced myself too many times to keep playing a game because others said it was great. Doesn't mean they lied. Just means I didn't like it.

they are just boxes
and with the words of Ricky Gervais:

Ricky Gervais giving Hollywood the middle finger was some priceless shit.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Get a pc, then you just have to hate epic. No one will argue with you cause everyone hates them.

Guilty_AI

Dunno, first of all, what do you want to play on other systems? Just start playing those

First thing to realise is this: companies are not your friends. Companies exist solely to make profit. They do not care about you. Period. If they sell a product you happen to like, you buy it and enjoy it. If they sell something of low quality, don't buy.

Don't overcomplicate it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Instead of not buying it because you feel cheated out of your money for the type of gaming experience, you’re not buying it because they’re being viewed negatively. Yeah, for a lot of the general population that isn’t important at all. Ever think about the good person who doesn’t give a sh*t about gaming news, buying a game you spent hours debating about online? It’s nonsense, right?

I guess it’s hard for some people to let poor reviews, low sales, and bad word of mouth do the job? A dozen people might make them change, but in reality they don’t have to. There’s probably an area of gaming that wasn’t meant to be important to us. There were always people making mistakes, but what did we care? We were playing Atari, Nintendo, and Sega without thinking about sales figures or what HR had to do at those companies. You don’t get paid to worry do you? No, you give them your money and that’s about it. They got a sale and they don’t care what your name is.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally dont about any "ecosystem" or whatever, I buy any system solely based on the games they have. I bought 360 for that reason and get rid of it because it stoped getting the games I care about and I would do same with Nintendo or Playstation.

Jeeves

You only need to ask yourself: do you like [company] or do you like games?

Doesn't mean you have to run out and buy hardware for a library that might not hit the right notes for you, but keep an open mind and if a system's got a few games that you think are worth a try, dive in.

ParaSeoul

I don't understand how anyone becomes like this,there has had to be games on another platform you've thought were interesting. Mainly stuck to Playstation and Nintendo handhelds,myself.

What are some suggestions that might have worked for you? Or am I forever cursed to live the life of a lemming?
Get a Series S (rental or from a friend) and a month of Game Pass Ultimate. If you have fun playing all the great games you are cured. If you feel 24/7 the need to scratch it or throw it out of the window, there is no hope for you.

FingerBang

How old are you? I used to be like that in my teenage years/early 20s, but now that I'm in my mid 30s I don't feel like that strongly about it anymore. I still prefer one console manufacturer over the others, but don't care if people make fun of it or say stupid fanboy crap. I also buy all of the others because I care more about the games than the box.

GametimeUK

You need to listen to other people. if you're a die hard Xbox fanboy and you see a lot of people people posting online about how great God of War is or how much they enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn then there's a good chance you should put your bias to the side, ignore that it's a different company making the game and just accept the praise for the individual game on a base level.

Can I ask what games you missed out on? You've acknowledged a "flaw" in your thought process so that's the best step you can take. Just act on it and play all those amazing games you missed.

Humdinger

Here are a few ideas...

1. Listen to the other side of the story. We all tend to get into echo chambers. If you're a Sony Pony, spend some time reading and watching pro-Xbox content. If you're an Xbot, do the opposite.

2. Consciously work against confirmation bias. If you don't know what that is, it's the mechanism where you (subconsciously) focus on and remember information that validates your viewpoint, and you ignore and forget data that contradicts it. Work against this by seeking out, focusing on, and remembering information that contradicts your bias (see #1).

3. Realize that everyone is biased. You can't get away from it. You can be aware of bias, and you can reduce it, but you can't eliminate it. Some biases are fine and natural -- you like what you like, no problem with that.

4. One of the mechanisms of being a "fanboy" is wrapping your identity up in the console they like. It's like it becomes part of who they are, and they have to defend it. This is a shallow way to live. Ground your identity in important things, like your values and principles, not in trivial stuff like a videogame console.

Looks like a fake thread meant to call fanboys out.

Anyway, I personally am biased towards game companies that made:
- games I enjoy.
- hidden gems that passed under the radar.

I don't particularly feel like a lemming.

Umbasaborne

Banned
You realize that companies dont care about you, and play the games that look interesting to you, no matter which platform you stan for. I mostly play on xbox, but i got a ps5 for sony’s great exclusives and i love nintendo games

Kev Kev

dont take this the wrong way, but that type of obsessive behavior makes it sound like you have bigger problems than being a brand fanboy...?

hopefully you actually want the product you are buying and not giving them your money just to support them. if youre literally throwing money at them for product you dont want and dont use, then that is a mental health issue and you need to go talk to a therapist or psychiatrist.

good luck OP

Spaceman292

Banned

First of all stop using the word 'ecosystem' you chud

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Your problem is that you see being a “gamer” and PlayStation fan as some essential part of your identity.

put it in perspective. It’s just entertainment. You need to get something else going on in your life. Find Jesus or start brewing your own beer or start a fitness instagram or something.

pretty soon you’ll wonder why the hell you were investing so much emotional energy on a dumb gaming console.

nemiroff

Gold Member
There's not much point in fighting against your own bias if doesn't really affect anything or anyone else and you're generally happy. It's also not really a problem in discussions as long as you're not antagonistic or excessively claim objectivity against something fact-leaning. You could leave the red-pill for the things that really matters in life and just enjoy the blue gaming-pill for now. Take your time to shake off the concerns and rather take a step outside your comfort zone when it feels less contrived.

Last edited:
It's interesting that you'd use the term biased over preference. I absolutely have a preference for particular platforms but that is because I feel that it offers better value and features over other platforms. There is nothing wrong with a preference and we all have them. Just avoid the 'I don't love my favorite console I hate yours' mentality that Concern Concern has stated in the past. Play a few different games, every system is worth owning.

SirTerry-T

Sell your Commodore 64 and buy a ZX Spectrum.
Problem sorted.
Next!

Korso

It's interesting that you'd use the term biased over preference. I absolutely have a preference for particular platforms but that is because I feel that it offers better value and features over other platforms. There is nothing wrong with a preference and we all have them. Just avoid the 'I don't love my favorite console I hate yours' mentality that Concern Concern has stated in the past. Play a few different games, every system is worth owning.
I guess to me that threshold was crossed because I can't bring myself to play good games if it's not on my console of choice. I feel like something is missing.

Korso

People need advise on how not to be a blind fanboy?
Nah, I refuse to believe we`ve sunk this low.

I´ll categorize this thread as "bait".
I see your point for sure. I guess it is more meant for people who are in the same boat. Definitely not trying to bait. That's why I left out any mention of a console.

JimboJones

Your problem is that you see being a “gamer” and PlayStation fan as some essential part of your identity.

put it in perspective. It’s just entertainment. You need to get something else going on in your life. Find Jesus or start brewing your own beer or start a fitness instagram or something.

pretty soon you’ll wonder why the hell you were investing so much emotional energy on a dumb gaming console.
I'd take PS fanboy over a Jesus fanboy anyday.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why defend something that goes against your believes OP?

What did you truly benefit from it?

This thread does sound a little baity, but I could easily believe many are struggling with this while being in denial.

Stop taking gaming so seriously. Enjoy your platform of choice. Buy one, or buy those with the interesting games that appeal you the most.

It's really that simple.

I have the opposite curse. I am bitching about people who mocks other peoples preferences. I am still labeled by many as an Xbox fanboy even though I don't own one. So there's that.

If you've ever been labelled as anything, you won't lose that status again.

Te circle of life

Top Bottom