• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overcoming biases.

Trimesh

Banned
I typically get multiple systems, so the only level of preference I have to deal with it which platform to play multiplatform titles on. That started with the PS2/OG Xbox - if there was a title that had an Xbox version I got that, although I ended up playing far more PS2 overall. Then it was the 360 in the PS360 era, then the PS4 in PS4/Xbone and finally the XboneX after the mid-gen refreshes. So far, I haven't seen anything on the current gen consoles that seems exciting enough to make me buy them at anything over list price.

I have left Nintendo out - although I have owned all their consoles - because since the GameCube they really haven't been targeting the same market as Sony and MS. It's also rather ironic that the GC was the last time they had performance that was comparable to the Sony and MS offerings but sold very poorly. Then they produced the Wii, which was a much weaker machine than either the PS3 or the 360, and which was a massive hit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In my many years of gaming, I have become bias to a specific gaming ecosystem. I have said things and defended actions of this company that I, likely, otherwise would condemn. I have made purchases solely for the sake of "supporting" a company that doesn't even know I exist. I am a die-hard fan.

I love the ecosystem that I am a part of. Many great memories and games to be had there.
However, It has left me stuck in a position that I cant get out of. I have missed out on some great gaming experiences, solely due to my being narrow-minded. Yet, alas, I can not shake it.

How do you do it gaf? I need to break the bonds of blind-fandom and branch out. What are some suggestions that might have worked for you? Or am I forever cursed to live the life of a lemming?
If you got the money, buy what you want and enjoy.

If you are buying new A/V gear or a new set of kitchen appliances, do you buy what you think is a good product at a good price?

Or do you force yourself to buy the same brand you always have for the sake of loyalty and having everything you buy match?

Mossybrew

Usually it's when I run out of games to play and have to branch out into stuff I'd otherwise let go by the wayside. For example I usually ignore animu-heavy JRPGs but I've been having a blast with Tales of Arise the last few days.

Rykan

Usually it's when I run out of games to play and have to branch out into stuff I'd otherwise let go by the wayside. For example I usually ignore animu-heavy JRPGs but I've been having a blast with Tales of Arise the last few days.
Out of curiosity, what sets the game apart that makes you enjoy it so much compared to other JRPGs?

Fredrik

Just make sure you have all platforms, your preference might still exist but it’s less of a problem since you won’t miss out on anything unless you deliberately choose to do so.

It’s not a big deal.

I prefer Playstation, because its the best place to play games. I buy a Nintendo system every time even though I never touch them(nostalgia, Im a huge NES and Gameboy color fan).

I dont think there’s anything with being a fanboy. I want the best. For example I used to be a fanboy of Sony TVs. Now Im a fanboy of LG TVs.

But if I see game I really like I dont care where it’s at, Ill buy it. Like Cuphead. I bought that shit everywhere. PC, XBOX, SWITCH, PS. In that order.

Mossybrew

Out of curiosity, what sets the game apart that makes you enjoy it so much compared to other JRPGs?
Hmmm well this is just the first few hours -
- I generally don't like this combat style of - encounter enemy in overworld - transition to fighting arena - but here on PS5 it loads so quick it becomes kind of a non issue
- In my experience this style of game has lagged behind graphical standards, however this game looks really good
- Generally don't like the talky talky style of this kind of game, but, knowing what I was getting into, I'm just kind of going with it
- Even though it's chat heavy, it seems just a bit less cheesy than other JRPGs I've attempted in the past
- I'm a bit desperate for something to play at the moment so I'm just more forgiving of JRPG silliness in general right now if it delivers a solid action RPG experience, which this game is definitely doing

Top Bottom