• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overhyped and unused console secret sauce.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
Did the OP really say SSDs are overhyped and underused?

What OP said was PS5 SSD is over hyped and underused while Xbox series has full RDNA 2 + DX12 and it shows in their abundance of 1st party games.
Demons Souls, Ratchet and Returnal we're all flukes /s

Joking aside, they are all trying to sell you their product. And game devs would probably be better suited to comment on this stuff anyway.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
As with every gen the console manufacturers talk about their secret sauce and by the end of the gen it mostly accounts for nothing.
I wouldn't say that exactly - depends on the gen, and individual consoles in question.
I'd argue PS2 gen has done well for itself.
While PC was promising it - it was on the consoles that common-place (and sometimes heavy) usage of post-processing math actually became practical first, several years early. The same console gen also pioneered programmable graphics pipelines, and hw-accelerated video/audio codecs that were useable for realtime assets. Much of this wouldn't come to PCs for years, and it was even longer before a mainstream PC would do all of it. Some specific accelerated paths (like the so very hyped Mesh Shaders) would take full 2 decades later to arrive to PC consumer hardware.
And like it or not - all of that allowed all 3 consoles to punch about their weight, in their own ways.

Anyway - if there was 'least utilized' in terms of unique features it would have to be all the mid-gen consoles (NDS-i, PS4Pro, X1X) - they barely touched their special features due to a tiny target user-base and effectively being at the mercy of 1st parties to use any of it - 3rd parties as a rule just don't bother.

All joking aside, which of these secret sauces are actually going to deliver and which ones are just bullshit terms?
I think I/O stack has already shown its potential and it's just going to grow from there once software catches up. It'll possibly be close to tail-end of generation we start seeing that though.
Everything else listed was incremental tweaks - so you should expect incremental results from it. It certainly won't make consoles compete with 1000Watt bricks with 10x the compute throughput.

Last edited:

SSfox

Ed Boon: " I think people underestimate the impact that almost non-existent load times will have [the SSD]. They will open doors that were previously considered impossible. I don't think we have even scratched the surface as to what will eventually be accomplished with these systems. For me, an improvement in the graphics is taken for granted. But, this new way of handling memory and load will be huge"

this is the same overhype like 5G/metaverse. 5G is a waste of money at this point in time, because you cannot even reach theoretical 20Gbps speed (higher than Wifi6E even).

the implementation, and utilization of these new technologies won't be until the consoles cycle end, but thankfully the upcoming 'pro consoles' will destroy the shackles of the potato jaguar and vega/polaris GPU holding the current gen back.

PS3 really started to shine towards the end of the consoles cycle when developers realized:

-the custom NVIDIA GPU sucked, so the 'trick' was to give Cell CPU GPU tasks, among other things.

Be patient my friend.

Pimpbaa

Blame cross-gen and the console supply issue that caused it. Still so many out there with last gen consoles. Normally we’d be firmly in current gen only game releases around this time.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, xbox one cloud And Cernys Road to ps5 are my big 2. Still got a few years left on ps5 to see how it changes the world. People were saying the insane io is going toffees the gpu with graphics we haven't seen on any other console etc. Let's see how it plays out.

Top Bottom