• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overlooked masterpiece: "Scurge: Hive"

I confess to you that I don't like metroidvania. But by the irony of the destiny, this game is in my top 10 best games of all time...And it's metroidvania.

MmVB4VL.jpg

(Pic from my personal collection)

It's such a frantic game, so dynamic, that you don't have time to even look away or even answer someone. you have to be 100% in the game at all times.

You have to turn on oxygen running out and having to recharge in the middle of a chaos filled with enemies, where you have specific weapons to fight them, with limited ammo is crazy. the oxygen meter doesn't stop even when you face a boss.

In short, it was a unique experience, your hands will sweat from the adrenaline that the game gives you. everything about it is beautiful, and the OST is a show in itself.

If you're curious, you can play on GBA or NDS, the only difference between the two is that the second NDS screen shows the map!

Play and you won't regret it! Trust me!

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
He's right.

One of the DS's many hidden gems and is still surprisingly affordable if you want to pick up an original copy.

It was also released on the GBA, however the DS version adds the convenience of the map being always available on the 2nd screen rather than having to pause the game.

He's right.

One of the DS's many hidden gems and is still surprisingly affordable if you want to pick up an original copy.

It was also released on the GBA, however the DS version adds the convenience of the map being always available on the 2nd screen rather than having to pause the game.
Yeah bro, this game is really a gem!
High five! ;)

Last edited:

CamHostage

...Remember when that was a negative against some DS games, like, "Oh, it's just that game but with a map on the second screen, what a waste of the DS," and sometimes you got caught up in being snooty and didn't it because you didn't want to reward "lazy developers", but then maybe you finally caved or got over it and you're playing the game going, "Oh thank god, it's got a map!"

Scurge: Hive also had the double-strike against it because it was 2D. Now I look at it and would regret having to see some kind of rough DS 3D graphics of that era and platform's capabilities against the GBA original.

The developer Orbital Media (Canadian studio) did some cool stuff. Racing Gears Advance, Juka and the Monophonic Menace, and then the canceled Pirate Battles and Racing Gears 2 / DS. A shame they only lasted so long. They could have had a career like Wayforward, making certain things on their own while financing projects with brand names (in unique titles that the brand holder otherwise never would/could have done themselves), if only they had gotten signed to work on stuff.

Here's an interview with Orbital when it was at its peak:

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Remember when that was a negative against some DS games, like, "Oh, it's just that game but with a map on the second screen, what a waste of the DS," and sometimes you got caught up in being snooty and didn't it because you didn't want to reward "lazy developers", but then maybe you finally caved or got over it and you're playing the game going, "Oh thank god, it's got a map!"

Scurge: Hive also had the double-strike against it because it was 2D. Now I look at it and would regret having to see some kind of rough DS 3D graphics.

The developer Orbital Media (Canadian studio) did some cool stuff. Racing Gears Advance, Juka and the Monophonic Menace, and then the canceled Pirate Battles and Racing Gears 2 / DS. A shame they only lasted so long. They could have had a career like Wayforward, making certain things on their own while financing projects with brand names (in unique titles that the brand holder otherwise never would/could have done themselves), if only they had gotten signed to work on stuff.

Here's an interview with Orbital when it was at its peak:

Interestingly enough, the DS version is slightly inferior to the GBA version in a couple of areas. The DS version is a port of the game which was originally developed for the GBA and the porting process resulted in the loss of a few graphical and audio effects. Nothing major, but for anyone who's a fan of the game it's worth replaying it on a GBA if you can.

I know what you mean about the flak DS games used to get for utilizing the 2nd screen for utility functionality like maps, but it really was a great feature and really improved the playability of a lot of games. It's striking just how much having that map on the 2nd screen improves the flow of the game by removing the need to constantly pause the game to check the map. For Scurge: Hive it comes into it's own in the later areas where the layout is quite labyrinthian.

Interestingly enough, the DS version is slightly inferior to the GBA version in a couple of areas. The DS version is a port of the game which was originally developed for the GBA and the porting process resulted in the loss of a few graphical and audio effects. Nothing major, but for anyone who's a fan of the game it's worth replaying it on a GBA if you can.

I know what you mean about the flak DS games used to get for utilizing the 2nd screen for utility functionality like maps, but it really was a great feature and really improved the playability of a lot of games. It's striking just how much having that map on the 2nd screen improves the flow of the game by removing the need to constantly pause the game to check the map. For Scurge: Hive it comes into it's own in the later areas where the layout is quite labyrinthian.
I played on both, but i got on the DS because the screen is large and the game flow better, at least to me.

Interview was interesting, and i will buy the GBA version too lol. This game deserves!

Top Bottom