• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overused game design mechanics that should evolve

anthraticus

Banned
Pretty much most modern AAA mechanics that are aimed to attract the widest possible audence and generally lead to a dumbed down and piss easy experience overall.

...usual garbage that plagues this mainstream stuff like idiot markers leading you around, banal level design , copy & paste mission'design', infinite see through walls batman viision, etc, etc....

Last edited:

Danknugz

for me, can't stand the "killing monsters" trope. it was cool when games were getting started but it's just so overused now, and there's always steroids involved for some reason. why are aliens / monsters always jacked up on anabolic steroids and looking like bodybuilders? it's just weird.

Any games that still have QTEs should evolve into the trash.

Also being told how to do things by the in-game character. At least give me the option to shut them the hell up.

Nah, very few open world games have actually fun traversal mechanics and devs are not gonna get good at doing that just because you erase fast travel.

Even horizon has absolutely shitty and unfunny traversal with some of the worse "horses" in the past years, and you know how much i love horizon.

People literally modded fast travel from everywhere in these games where you have to reach a taxi or train to move around the map, last one being cyberpunk, it was just annoying to search for a fast travel point.

Immersion is one thing, getting bored to even reach the location of a mission is another.
I am not just chatting about open worlds can you imagine if resident evil 2 implemented fast travel!

But I truly feel the moment they implement it they have admitted there core traversal mechanics and level design are not worth doing any more. Which is fine in late game but if your doing right off the bat that's a problem.

I don't see why players should just be allowed to revisit old areas whenever they want. Only open world games conform to this. Plenty of linear games and semi open world games don't allow it and that's fine there's sense of stakes and it's interesting to be stuck in a hard area. Hollow knight and dark souls 1 particularly come to mind.

Having said all that alot of open world games are better off with it the way they are currently designed. But if they have to it maybe they would be better off not being open worlds? I definitely think the Horizon games as much as I love them would be better if they were semi open world like dragon quest 11 structure

The real solution are 2:

having a traversal mechanic that are fun and skill based so you never get annoyed to traverse the world, so your arkham saga air gliding, your spiderman web swinging, your infamous powered runs, your attack of the titan 2 wire system etc., or in the case of games with cars and horses, just fun driving\riding mechanics, very few open world get horses and cars right.

having a world so fucking interesting that you always want to walk towards your destination because you can always find something interesting during the walk, but how many games manage to do that? i can think of rdr2 where really every inch could hide something unique.

But sometimes you just have 30 minutes of free time and you want to complete a mission or two, i really think that fast travel is useful and should be optional and not completely erased, nobody force you to use it.
If there's a resource management element to travel that could be interesting like days gone and Death Strandin. I guess this could be filed under traversal though.

Death stranding is also interesting in how building infrastructure can change routes you take.

Forcing the player into combat through traversal is maybe a 3rd interesting choice

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Batman combat, would like to see more creativity from big devs like small ones do.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I am not just chatting about open worlds can you imagine if resident evil 2 implemented fast travel!

But I truly feel the moment they implement it they have admitted there core traversal mechanics and level design are not worth doing any more. Which is fine in late game but if your doing right off the bat that's a problem.

I don't see why players should just be allowed to revisit old areas whenever they want. Only open world games conform to this. Plenty of linear games and semi open world games don't allow it and that's fine there's sense of stakes and it's interesting to be stuck in a hard area. Hollow knight and dark souls 1 particularly come to mind.

Having said all that alot of open world games are better off with it the way they are currently designed. But if they have to it maybe they would be better off not being open worlds? I definitely think the Horizon games as much as I love them would be better if they were semi open world like dragon quest 11 structure
No small game need fast travel so i didn't even thought about that tbh, i don't even know any RE type of game that has fast travel...it really is a non-problem.

I love open worlds so not making them open world just to erase the need of fast travel seems like a fucking nuclear option dude.

Just don't use it if you hate it so much, like i said, erasing fast travel is not gonna magically transform uncapable devs into devs that can make interesting traversal mechanics or a super interesting world, for now it is super useful and optional so people is not forced to use it.

Disguised loading sequences such as slow walking, squeezing through rubble, etc. No need for that anymore thanks to the SSD in next gen consoles. They just ruin the pace of a game. FF7R would have been a lot better without the constant road bumps.

"Rewind" in racing games. It was novel the first time I saw it, I think in one of the old Xbox 360 Burnout games. But it also limited your use. Now in stuff like Forza Horizon 5, any mistake you make won't cost you anything cause you just bop the rewind, make the perfect turn, and you're back in first. It's such a bizarre feature that no one ever talks about as being bad or dumbing down the game -- no one would be happy with a Souls-like having a "rewind" button you mash every time you get hit, but it's the same idea! I've been playing Dakar Desert Rally and there's no rewind, it makes things so much more intense and exciting.

Trilobit

Thief was truly ahead of it's time. It's funny that instead of going forward in sound design I feel like we've gone backwards.

Maybe 3d audio chip in PS5 could do some wonders.

After getting my PS5 and reading up on the 3D Tempest audio thing, I'm somewhat excited for the future. I had not really thought about how much I'm missing out when a game doesn't have 3D sound. It's like everything is still stuck in two dimensions. I read about someone describing having and hearing a starship travel over them and being able to pinpoint the location of it based on just sound.

I can't believe that there hasn't been more effort put into this sort of audio capability:

Larxia

Agreed about grass and enemy sensing.
My problem with skilltrees isn't the mechanic itself but rather that I find it lame when games allow you to unlock all (or most) abilities in a single playthrough. I like skill trees when they force you to make choices and commit to certain paths while giving up on others. I think it makes for more varied gameplay, adds to replay value and makes your experience a bit more unique.

One I wish to see improved is "tracking by following footprints"
jbkmiHy.jpg

It's just not fun, to the point I'd rather have them just put a waypoint on the map.
The worst thing about that tracking example you mentionned is that, yes it's boring, but on top of that it actually adds scripted steps you need to go through to actually find the final point of interest.
It happened to me in some games, like in Horizon, that I actually found the objective (a body or whatever) without using the tracking ability, just by looking around myself and randomly finding it, and quite often the objective won't trigger, because you didn't go through the steps the games wanted you to, you didn't trigger the different checks / dialogues by following the track using the special sensor, so you have to go back and do it again the way they meant it. It's quite stupid and very immersion breaking.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh
Detective vision.

And i'm so tired of everyone i need to follow having the dirtiest shoes ever, just leaving all them damn footprints.

Less open world games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Melee tank
Magic using weakling
Swift moving archer/sniper/ranger

I think almost every game with classes uses this basic premise from the first RPG game made 40 years ago.

mhirano

Maybe with duel sense you can ass vibrations to movement of enemies from particular locations, or even just let trial and error take a role in the players decision. It seems like an easy way to avoid taking a unique approach to these activities.

15100_2013-10-01_00004.jpg

a8EQ1o1_460s.jpg
How am I supposed to hold my Dual Sense to feel this ‘ass vibration’?

Top Bottom