• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2’s Beta Lost 99% of Its Viewers in Just the First Week on Twitch

Kacho

Gold Member
By PVE modes I mean proper GAAS campaign, maybe like Destiny where they throw segments of the story each week.
Have they showed something like this for Ow2.
I don’t think that’s what they’re going for with the PVE content but we don’t know much atm. Gonna have to wait and see.

Banned
By PVE modes I mean proper GAAS campaign, maybe like Destiny where they throw segments of the story each week.
Have they showed something like this for Ow2.

pretty sure OW2 PvE is not GaaS, it seems to simply be multiple coop levels with character progression n stuff

MiguelItUp

I think this is unfair, I think the extremely limited additional content that you can barely tell the diffrence from classic Overwatch is well within the expectations of what modern Blizzard are capable of producing as a sequel.

It would be far more surprising for them to deliver anything of value.
Correct, but what I'm saying is when people see a "2", they think sequel, so they have expectations. What was shown with the closed beta, is that those that had those expectations had them not met whatsoever. Is that a surprise to a lot of us? Hell no, but it clearly surprised some regarding how it looked almost exactly the same, haha.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

So Blizzard's main goal. . .was to increase Twitch viewership? Seems like a silly thing to waste money on, but you're the expert on marketing.
I mean the goal of the marketing campaign is to generate buzz and excitement for the release of the game. This campaign did exactly the opposite of this. But the marketing team itself did do a great job getting eyeballs, but it ultimately failed because the product itself is bad and no one is excited.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not really interested in the pvp. i want single player/co-op stuff. just let me play alone or with a couple friends or even bots so that i can enjoy a story. the world/lore and characters to me are interesting but i'm not really into the pvp shit.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Halo infinite’s season 2 added more things than this “sequel”.

And all it did was add some modes and two maps.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Starting to really question being on the "gaming internet" at all. Like 90% of people seem to post online just to shit on games they have no interest in, or wish for failure.

Just a bunch of fucking haters, even ignoring console fanboy garbage.

MayauMiao

Because they're calling it "2", when it really is nowhere near the expectations of what a sequel is. As far as I know, no one is excited about it. If anything, maybe a few are content.
Maybe the "2" was a typo and the real name is actually "Overwatch 1.2".

Banned
Halo infinite’s season 2 added more things than this “sequel”.

And all it did was add some modes and two maps.

Halo Infishit still has less content than any Halo since Halo 2, so they better have added more than a fucking beta with half the game missing did...

also it's 4 new maps not 2
which is half the amount of maps Halo Shitfinite launched with :)
Shitfinite... Infishit... I can't decide which I should use going forward

Last edited:

Codes 208

Halo Infinite still has less content than any Halo since Halo 2
no shit, that was my general point. The new season barely did anything and yet overwatch did essentially even less than that.

Its an update disguised as a sequel

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned

D8TTC.gif

Banned
no shit, that was my general point. The new season barely did anything and yet overwatch did essentially even less than that.

Its an update disguised as a sequel

yeah but it didn't. the issue is Halo Infishit needs to add back stuff that was missing, that doesn't take any designers or anything really, all it takes is some programmers reintroducing already designed modes.

Overwatch takes a lot of balancing and tweaking for every new core mode they introduce because it's played in tournaments (the new pro season actually starts today I think)

Shitfinite has 1 actually new mode and 2 new maps
the BETA version of Overwatch 2 has 1 actually new mode and 4 new maps

the final game will have a whole coop mode and more new PvP stuff beyond what the beta has

Last edited:

Urban

What I don’t understand is why they are calling it OW2?

Go the CS route with naming your games?

But tbh I don’t recall ever seeing a sequel to a game and not seeing a big difference between them

-MD-

I mean as soon as I realized it was essentially a patch to the original game and not a real sequel I went back to ignoring it.

If it was an actual sequel I'd be way more interested.

Codes 208

yeah but it didn't. the issue is Halo Infishit needs to add back stuff that was missing, that doesn't take any designers or anything really, all it takes is some programmers reintroducing already designed modes.

Overwatch takes a lot of balancing and tweaking for every new core mode they introduce because it's played in tournaments (the new pro season actually starts today I think)

Shitfinite has 1 actually new mode and 2 new maps
the BETA version of Overwatch 2 has 1 actually new mode and 4 new maps

the final game will have a whole coop mode and more new PvP stuff beyond what the beta has
Wow, the beta added two more maps than the newest season of infinite? Wooow!

Yeah i dont care. Theyre both shit. The one thing ill give infinite is that at least the map flow and overall gunplay feels a lot better than its predecessor and it does enough to differentiate itself as a sequel whereas this is just OW converted to 5v5 (but hey, its got daytime maps now!)

As for the pve stuff, at this time thats the one thing im curious about OW1.1

Codes 208

Imagine having to watch cringe lord streamers “yooo lets goo boys!!!!!, please donate to me so i dont have to get a real job and provide value to society”
Its far more cringe with single player games.
While i dont mind watching insym showing new strats and patch notes in phasmophobia, it does break the tension when, every ten second he goes “and thank you ____ for the subs!”

Last edited:

The_hunter

It's a beta, and they want to test out changes to see if they're good. I won't make fun of the game until it gets released and we get a definitive list of all the new content.

Having a public open beta like this is the worst marketing move ever.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I bought Overwatch at launch. Played a bit. Realized you had to go to YouTube to watch videos of the characters and their lore (couldn't be bothered to add that in the game ......at least when I was playing it). Dropped it after a month.

People care too much about twitch viewership...overwatch 2 will be a massive success...may not be as popular as fork knife or apex but will still be huge...I will never play this game tho.

SZips

I helped inflate those initial viewer numbers, same as 99% of everyone else watching on that "highest day" nonsense. I knew the beta wasn't going to be great. I haven't played Overwatch in years because of the terrible changes made to the game and the constant shield spam.

Got into the OW2 beta. Hated their role queue system (I know they added it to OW1 but we dipped before that became a thing there).

I've no plans to buy Overwatch 2 for the PvE stuff. I anticipate it being just a slight expansion of the PvE experiences we were given in OW1. That, coupled with all the shitty things going on at that entire studio really makes me not want to buy it. And with this multiplayer stuff being integrated into OW1, there's literally no reason to buy the "new" game.

To make this long story short: I played just one round of the OW2 beta. One. Round. That was all I needed to see that the game I once loved is kind of shit now.

Last edited:

Tg89

People had to watch the first couple days to get a key.

Anyway, game is ass as expected. Like a 10 minute queue to even get into a game. Blizzard continues to be a pathetic shell of their former selves.

Urban

People care too much about twitch viewership...overwatch 2 will be a massive success...may not be as popular as fork knife or apex but will still be huge...I will never play this game tho.
i dont think it will sell well because OW2 is free for all the OW1 owners. Atleast the pvp part of it.

you only pay for the pve mode

Three

Isn't this because they tied twitch views to beta access? so a bunch of people who had no interest in watching these streams used it to gain access then didn't watch again.

octiny

Banned
Well duh, the drops stopped. That's how it is for all popular games which do beta drops on Twitch. Happened w/ Valorant as well.

They have another drop this weekend I believe. So will you post how much it increases as well?

If anything, it goes to show how many people are anxiously waiting for a chance to play it. Not everyone gets a beta key either.

Also, streamers don't get payed by the developer to do key drops on Twitch. It's a choice to participate in collaboration w/ Twitch. If it's a popular franchise, what it does for them is increase said streamers viewership a shit load which leads to more subs/donos/ad revenue. Prime example would be XQC, 300K viewers during drop, 60-70K without.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Games still gonna be massive. I enjoyed the first one for a bit, but got bored with it faster than most.

Batiman

Banned
Halo Infishit still has less content than any Halo since Halo 2, so they better have added more than a fucking beta with half the game missing did...

also it's 4 new maps not 2
which is half the amount of maps Halo Shitfinite launched with :)
Shitfinite... Infishit... I can't decide which I should use going forward
You really are 10 ten years old lol

Infishit………Really?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
People were just turning it on and walking away for 4 hours to get a beta key. I don't think this is much of a litmus test.

-MD-

I bought Overwatch at launch. Played a bit. Realized you had to go to YouTube to watch videos of the characters and their lore (couldn't be bothered to add that in the game ......at least when I was playing it). Dropped it after a month.

Wait, what? Every character has like 3 skills and they're all detailed on the character selection screen, that's been there since the game launched.

Top Bottom