• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 break Twitch concurrent views "highest day ever for Overwatch"

STARSBarry

Gold Member
There is definitly interest, but considering how essentially the biggest changes are a new character named Soldier spelt by a dyslexic and one less player per team....

Yeaaaaaah OK, wonder if Microsoft will force them to rethink once the buyouts done and dusted and just release it as an update instead.

Show any overwatch 2 gameplay on an old map and ask a player to spot the diffrence, they will really struggle.

Last edited:

AX8

Banned
There is definitly interest, but considering how essentially the biggest changes are a new character named Soldier spelt by a dyslexic and one less player per team....

Yeaaaaaah OK, wonder if Microsoft will force them to rethink once the buyouts done and dusted and just release it as an update instead.

Show any overwatch 2 gameplay on an old map and ask a player to spot the diffrence, they will really struggle.
Well it is an update.... all the PVP features are free
you're paying for the new PVE content

AX8

Banned
I was watching poki play this earlier and at first I legit thought she was playing OW1
Technically it is OW1, OW1 owners will have the same updates, so if you only have OW1 that is what it will look like, what the beta is missing is the PVE features of 2 which OW1 owners wont get until they purchase OW2.

You mean gaming PR doesn’t want to send free review copies to people who will use it for some kind of braindead political rant?
No, I mean gaming PR has to find another avenue for exposure, because it turns out making a website like IGN, Polygon, or Gamespot rate their broken unfinished game a 9 or 10 out of 10, and then making them put huge obtrusive ads for that same game on their website, doesn't fool that many consumers anymore.

This has nothing to do with political sides, it's about viewcount and money. Twitch, Tiktok, and Youtubers are the new moneymakers.

Talonz

8 hours after my drop on Twitch, and I'm still waiting for access. Ugh....this sucks. I'm dying to play it.

Edit: After 9 hours, I was able to get access.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I hate this "You'll get beta access if you watch twitch streamers so we can boast how good our twitch numbers are!" has become the norm.
People have been fucking with social media numbers for the past few years now, buying likes, buying subs, buying follows.

It's scummy shit but it's here to stay.

This metric that Blizzard is so desperately touting is soiled by it's pathetic "watch streamers to get a beta key" bullshit.

I'm not a competitive player, but I can see why they did this change. Tanks are just not fun to play currently. Orisa rework looks fun.
With every change and patch I feel like they're trying to make the battles faster and the ebb and flow of matches not be so long and exhausting. They should re-work 2cp into crazy king(KotH that moves every minute) and make it point based, make CTF Blitz(not regular CTF) a part of the ranked rotation, and make team deathmatch a part of the ranked rotation too while making it point based instead of kill based. Also, make regular DM point based and keep a separate ranked version of it available at all times instead of during just one holiday event.

Last edited:
Hope they won't take the 0,1% of players, the professionals and esport players, as a baseline for future balancing and take out the whole fun like they did with OW1. But who am I kidding...
They have no choice. It's cause and effect due to the pros creating a meta. Plus many agree that they don't want ever want to see a team of tanks vs a team of tanks again.

Griffon

I've been replaying OW1 on and off those past months (I play that game since the beta in 2015), and I got in the OW2 beta.
And Man... Blizzard really is a shadow of itself, OW2 feels like a pre-alpha for Overwatch 1. The UI is ugly and a straight downgrade from OW1.

The whole 5v5 shtick transforms the game into a stupid Team Deathmatch. Hitscan DPS now dominate the game completely.
The hero balance is completely out of whack, many heroes like Symmetra and Brigitte are just unplayable (my boi Reaper is utterly useless), I'd say half of the cast are now barely playable in 5v5. In general playing support is a miserable experience.

Maybe 5v5 could be a fun balanced experience, but they haven't finished the work to make it so.

It's unbelievable it took 4+ years to arrive here...

My headcannon is that, ever since Jeff Kaplan left with most of the team, the game has been stuck in limbo because they have nobody left who knows wtf to do with it. So after years of doing close to nothing they finally said "fuck it we release whatever we got, it'll make money anyways".
I mean... it looks that way. Everything that's new in the game has been things that were announced 3 years ago.

Now my biggest regret is that OW2 pvp is going to replace OW1. We wont even be able to play the good one, this oddly feels like a Warcraft 3 Reforged situation.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

I really want to jump in OW but I hope they make a good PVE GAAS campaign out of these characters.
Intro PvE for casuals for eventual PvP addiction.

sendit

It is just an update......Overwatch players who already have the game will receive the update for free.

AX8

Banned
Excited to start playing later today, happy that the Twitch numbers proved Overwatch is not dead, and that can convince Blizz to support the game more, I know battle passes are all but confirmed so excited about that as well.

sendit

I was watching poki play this earlier and at first I legit thought she was playing OW1
Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

I'm not a competitive player, but I can see why they did this change. Tanks are just not fun to play currently. Orisa rework looks fun.
I like tanks and unlike having a co-tank. I play all tanks except ball well. In general I play all roles but this sounds like a cope by the devs to decrease the prominence of the tank role.

I think OW will eventually kill 1 healer slot as well and maybe add a DPS slot. Most players don't like to play tank or heals they just wanna lock in dps and pretend the game is deathmatch, that's exactly why this change was done. If you played OW2 you can see that the game is way more deathmatchy, if you enjoy getting 1 shit by widow cause there's 100 flank spots and no barriers to hide behind then enjoy.

Just make a good game and people will play it. I remember the hype around OW1, it was insane. So people are clearly interested, just don't fuck it up.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I’m glad we are finally getting more content. I played the game daily for 4 years and had an absolute blast, but quit when nothing but minor tweaks were happening in 2020. So far what they have shown is a pretty big fundamental change to how it plays and flows now. game almost feels like a high speed death match game with a slight focus on an objective. Going 5v5, losing some shields, and taking things away like being frozen / stunned all the time will help people have fun.

Also, about the visuals, I don’t think they are done with them yet. The banner they made all the alpha players post on their videos said that. It definitely gives a same ole same ole vibe but you can already tell the lighting engine has been improved with some of the maps shown so far.

Last edited:
When i saw that 4 hour requirement to unlock beta access, I instantly knew they would boast about the numbers. Those engagement numbers are mostly meaningless as a result of that requirement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Well it is an update.... all the PVP features are free
you're paying for the new PVE content

Then that's not too bad then. Don't think it will make me break my "never play a Blizzard game again" rule, but at least that's something.

Spent 4 hours afk in Asmon's stream to get beta access. Played one match before uninstalling. It's still Overwatch. No idea what I was expecting, honestly.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Did anyone try it? I checked out a couple streams and it doesn't look much different than its predecessor.

bigedole

Console player here, haven't had a chance to play the beta obviously but have thousands of hours in OW1 and have watched Seagull's stream a ton over the last 2 days. I think the game experience looks improved. One of the biggest gripes with OW1 was you could be getting stomped and not have an easy way to tell who wasn't pulling their weight. Tanks also didn't feel impactful in a lot of situations, mostly serving as just a meat shield to hide behind. Nobody enjoyed playing the poke game with shields and barriers and all that, it just wasn't a great experience. The removal of hard cc from everyone but tanks (and Ana) is huge, as it along with the removal of 1 tank places a huge emphasis on the tank role. They feel a lot more impactful and it really does look good. Removing the off tank also opens up the carry potential of the DPS, as it was just too easy to shut down certain characters with an off tank that was dedicated to marking them. 50% of my hours in the game have been spent playing Ana and Zen so believe me, I understand the concerns with losing an off tank but I am looking forward to experiencing how that opens up the game more. I don't want maps to just be drawn out team deathmatches, so I do definitely hope the teamwork dynamic is still there as it is at the core of what has made OW a fun game for me. That said, if they can increase the impact each individual player has while still maintaining the need to coordinate/work together, I am all for it. It definitely looks like a lot of fun and we won't have to wait long to see if that holds up through the rest of the beta.

MiguelItUp

It's primarily because of the big streamers playing it, of course. A lot of them wanting to play something new, and there isn't anything, but this, lol.

The game itself is SO much like the original it's silly to me. I mean, they slapped a 2 on it to claim it's a sequel, but so much of it is exactly the same just with a new UI. It's really off-putting and bizarre to me, honestly.

The game itself is SO much like the original it's silly to me. I mean, they slapped a 2 on it to claim it's a sequel, but so much of it is exactly the same just with a new UI. It's really off-putting and bizarre to me, honestly.
Think of it like this, the game is Overwatch 2.0, the same way that WoW's next expansion is being labeled as WoW 10.0

The PvE expansion is what actually costs money, just like WoW expansions.

MiguelItUp

Think of it like this, the game is Overwatch 2.0, the same way that WoW's next expansion is being labeled as WoW 10.0

The PvE expansion is what actually costs money, just like WoW expansions.
Which is totally fair, but I feel like it'd be more accepting as "Overwatch 2.0" rather than "Overwatch 2", a pretty silly and small detail, sure. But with just that "2", comes an expectancy from a lot of people.

I'm still not sold on it whatsoever, but I'm curious to see how it is received on release and after.

squallheart

i haven't played in a long time but watching some streams i ended up downloading it again. i'm getting destroyed every game :( i really can't wait for the PvE stuff. i enjoy the world and characters but the pvp is too difficult to get into. i want some solo/story stuff to mess about in.
Lol same was gone for a while but after a few games I'm doing more kills as a healer than dps xD. OW2 feels the same as 1 so not a major change other than a female Baptist, orisa rework and maps that were day time are now night.

Which is totally fair, but I feel like it'd be more accepting as "Overwatch 2.0" rather than "Overwatch 2", a pretty silly and small detail, sure. But with just that "2", comes an expectancy from a lot of people.
True, but I think we should wait to see actually how big the PvE mode is going to be. At least the PvP is free for part 1 owners. At worst this could have been a Left 4 Dead 2 situation.

MiguelItUp

True, but I think we should wait to see actually how big the PvE mode is going to be. At least the PvP is free for part 1 owners. At worst this could have been a Left 4 Dead 2 situation.
I admit that's something I keep forgetting they're adding, haha. They could certainly fluff it up to feel more like a full fledged sequel, but I guess we'll see!

I admit that's something I keep forgetting they're adding, haha. They could certainly fluff it up to feel more like a full fledged sequel, but I guess we'll see!
This is what I'm expecting for PvE from what they've shown and talked about:

-20 to 30 hour story mode following the 3 factions: Overwatch, Talon, and Junkers.
-A mode similar to challenge rifts in Diablo 3
-Daily PvE challenges(with loot boxes or skins as a reward)
-Dungeons/Raids or something that challenge your coordination.(This mode should give you golden weapon points, or skins, or skin shop credits, or all of the above)

If done right, the PvE mode should be what the Avengers video game was trying to be, but better, with that added Blizzard polish. It could elevate the game to a top 5 of the year(I don't think it will win GoTY due to Elden Ring, Starfield, and GoW2).

I still have a good time playing Overwatch and I'd definitely play Overwatch 2.

If I'm not mistaken I believe the PVP portion will be free if you already own it, so that's perfect for me. I've been having fun watching it the past couple of days.

Last edited:

Talonz

It's curious Overwatch 2 doesn't have it's own tab in the Battle net client, and there is still no preorder for it. They'll put up WoW expansions for preorder over a year in advance. There must be something with the pricing they don't want out yet. I bet they want a full $60 for OW2(PVE) which would be laughable.

The OW2 PVP Beta Client just says Overwatch in the title bar.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
Blizzard is a wreck of it's past-self and so is Overwatch.

OW2 is NOT even a DLC, it's free updates (4 maps, 1 mode & 1 hero) that should've released years before with a PVE expansion disguised as a paid full prive sequel.

I'm pretty sure project Titan was developed by 80 to 100s of people, while OW2 was developed by 30-40 people max, and it's not gonna save the game, the balance and matchmaking are already completely fucked, they ruined all the subtle chemistry of the TvT gameplay and ruined some characters like Bastion or Sombra.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz
Top Bottom