• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 will get cross play with aimbot for console users.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Blizzard has changed its mind about console aim assist in Overwatch 2 crossplay lobbies. The game's latest patch has now enabled aim assist for console players across all games except competitive.

In the November 17 patch notes(opens in new tab), Blizzard said it found that having the feature disabled was causing problems on both sides of the peripheral pond. "In our data, we found many groups were crossplay groups between PC and console players. This meant if you were playing on console and grouping with players on PC, you were opting into a bad experience for yourself to play with your friends. Also, if you had a group that was primarily console, but one of your friends was a PC player, you had to leave the PC player out to have a good experience."

Blizzard reiterated that the aim assist was for console players only, with the option unavailable for PC players regardless of peripheral. The developer also said it was "monitoring the deployment of this change carefully and making changes quickly if needed."

The lack of aim assist in crossplay parties proved to be a point of contention when Overwatch 2 launched in October. Though the feature has been disabled since Blizzard introduced crossplay to the original Overwatch last year, it was brought back to attention with its sorta-sequel's influx of new and returning players. As Morgan Park pointed out when crossplay tensions were simmering(opens in new tab), aim assist in modern games isn't as obvious a choice as it used to be. Games like Apex Legends and Call of Duty: Warzone have cracked-out aim assist, with some arguing that it makes using a controller advantageous over keyboard and mouse inputs. It makes implementing it in a crossplay environment more of a grey area, and a balancing act in pleasing both sides.

Equalising two different ways of playing the same game can be tricky, especially when those two methods collide in the same match. It'll be interesting to see how big a difference it makes for both PC and console users, and if Blizzard ends up walking back its decision. For PC players who have previously been shunned by their console pals, let's hope the change will stick around.

https://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-2...m_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

Soon pc players will face professional controller players like this amount of skill.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Console gamers please stand up!!!

King Yes GIF

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The baddies that used assist that did leave the game now will return.

Last edited:

Banned
the game has really outdated controller aiming and not many options, so playing this without AA sounds horrible.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Blizzard has changed its mind about console aim assist in Overwatch 2 crossplay lobbies. The game's latest patch has now enabled aim assist for console players across all games except competitive.

In the November 17 patch notes(opens in new tab), Blizzard said it found that having the feature disabled was causing problems on both sides of the peripheral pond. "In our data, we found many groups were crossplay groups between PC and console players. This meant if you were playing on console and grouping with players on PC, you were opting into a bad experience for yourself to play with your friends. Also, if you had a group that was primarily console, but one of your friends was a PC player, you had to leave the PC player out to have a good experience."

Blizzard reiterated that the aim assist was for console players only, with the option unavailable for PC players regardless of peripheral. The developer also said it was "monitoring the deployment of this change carefully and making changes quickly if needed."

The lack of aim assist in crossplay parties proved to be a point of contention when Overwatch 2 launched in October. Though the feature has been disabled since Blizzard introduced crossplay to the original Overwatch last year, it was brought back to attention with its sorta-sequel's influx of new and returning players. As Morgan Park pointed out when crossplay tensions were simmering(opens in new tab), aim assist in modern games isn't as obvious a choice as it used to be. Games like Apex Legends and Call of Duty: Warzone have cracked-out aim assist, with some arguing that it makes using a controller advantageous over keyboard and mouse inputs. It makes implementing it in a crossplay environment more of a grey area, and a balancing act in pleasing both sides.

Equalising two different ways of playing the same game can be tricky, especially when those two methods collide in the same match. It'll be interesting to see how big a difference it makes for both PC and console users, and if Blizzard ends up walking back its decision. For PC players who have previously been shunned by their console pals, let's hope the change will stick around.

https://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-2...m_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

Soon pc players will face professional controller players like this amount of skill.

And people who know how to abuse rotational AA will have a field day if OW2 supports it

Bridges

Happy to see this. I play mostly with PC players via Xbox and it is very difficult to compete as any non-support class. Didn't have this issue in pre-crossplay OW1.

Shut0wen

Still not enough since all i play is competitive, should be controller v controller and kb v kb, blizzard prettymuch forcing those on console to play support or get fucked

So as someone that uses controller on PC anyway it won't make a difference? Not that you really need aim assist with Moira & Brigette though

9OFOaQcDVX7G.gif

SomeGit

Since it's on quick play only I guess it's fine. By default the pools are still seperated, unless there are cross play lobbies, wish it was like that for other cross play games.
Also strange that there's no KB & M option on console.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Good thing I only play competitive. Aimbots will make the hitscan characters broken and make every other dps useless. Although I don’t see many console players in lobbies anyway.

So controller users on PC won't get it, but the ones on console do? Who thought that was a good idea?
Yeah, this doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I think aim-assist is nonsense anyway. There's more to it than just aim-reflexes.
A game like Overwatch allows for players to outsmart their opponents.

Honestly, accept that PC-players have an advantage with aiming and work with that, or just buy a PC yourself.

The handholding is unnecessary and leads to dumb decisions like in the OP.

nikos

So if some shit player on console groups up with a friend on PC, they're going to end up in the PC pool with aim assist? If so, that's bullshit.

I really love this game, but that could stop me from playing it. I'm really tired of playing against aim assist rather than other people.

I have absolutely no respect for it. Used to be able to say "nice shot," now it's "nice fucking aim assist."

PC hardware keeps getting better only to play fucking console games on it. At this point, I'm going to end up playing PC specific games that don't include any of this garbage.

The_Mike

The more aim assist the better. Everybody should be on equal footing. This should have been in on day one.
Yeah fuck need to have skills.

Let's make it more fun to just have to press the trigger

The_Mike

This isn't how aim assist works. Also, it's impossible to play against mouse without aim assist.

This is zero skills.

And I am aware that controllers are in a huge disadvantage over a mouse.

Either you have mouse users dominate, or you need to implement cheat to controller users

Aranea

Mouse and keyboard is still superior to controllers with aim assist. Those who play on both platforms (i do play on both) can tell the difference. Only a small minority of PC only players are complaining about it.

Top Bottom