• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 Will Release on Nintendo Switch With "Some Compromises"

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a recent AMA session over on Reddit, Blizzard's John Lafleur reiterated that the game is still very much going to be coming to the Nintendo Switch platform. Because the sequel is going to run on a better game engine compared to the original Overwatch, though, this means that the way in which Blizzard will have to adapt Overwatch 2 for Switch will be a bit more difficult than last time around. Still, just because it will be more challenging doesn't mean that the studio is forgoing a release on this platform.

"Switch is a little more challenging than some, and we'll have to make some compromises there," Lafleur explained of the process of porting Overwatch 2 to Switch. "For that reason, some of the higher end visual enhancements might not be visible, there. We'll focus on making sure all of the gameplay-related features get in, first, and then accentuate with additional features as much as possible."

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Sounds a lot like with what the project cars devs said about the Wii u version.

With Jeff Kaplan gone, i really don't have faith on what this game will turn into.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Instead of running at 20 fps, this time it will run at 15 FPS.

Maestr0

We don't even have a release date for Overwatch 2, and with Jeff Kaplan out of Blizzard, it doesn't sound good at all, and well activision of course............

Banned
still very underwhelming that port...
Paladins, its direct competitor runs at an extremely stable 60fps on Switch while actually looking somewhat better even... like wtf Blizzard?

Banned
At the rate that they're going in, I'm surprised to even hear that they'll be porting Overwatch 2 for the Switch. So far, the only online games that are running buttery smooth on the Switch that I know of are Paladins and Fortnite (using a Fortnite account that I also use on PC). I wonder if they'll also be doing cross-play and cross-save for it...

Crossplay is already live as far as I know... cross progression will come later.

Overwatch 2 PvP multiplayer is not a new game, it is Overwatch 1 updated. everyone who owns Overwatch 1 will simply get an update to Overwatch 2 when it launches. the only thing you will not get for free as an Overwatch 1 owner is the new PvE coop modes that come with Overwatch 2.

Last edited:

Banned
Thank you for the clarification! So it's basically like Overwatch 1 with a huge patch update?

yes. the PvP is literally just a gigantic patch for Overwatch 1.
if you want the PvE Coop stuff you will need to buy Overwatch 2 tho.

I am not sure if they will completely replace Overwatch 1 tho or if they will let you have it installed separately... I doubt it tho. I think it will completely replace OW1

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Crossplay is already live as far as I know... cross progression will come later.

Overwatch 2 PvP multiplayer is not a new game, it is Overwatch 1 updated. everyone who owns Overwatch 1 will simply get an update to Overwatch 2 when it launches. the only thing you will not get for free as an Overwatch 1 owner is the new PvE coop modes that come with Overwatch 2.
People enjoy giving Blizzard shit, but this is a pretty generous way of rolling out Overwatch 2.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm honestly surprised anyone cares about Overwatch 2 still.

There are still rabid fans of Blizzard that despite there recent track record will preorder every title they announced, its just the development team that don't care about Overwatch 2, releasing a version that Compromises the product but is on a larger install base makes sense if your goal was never to make a good game, but maximise sales before people catch on.

Top Bottom