• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch League Season 1 | Stage 5 Grand Finale

shira

Congrats as London wins the Stage 1 Playoffs getting a $100k bonus
2nd place goes to New York with a $25k bonus
3rd place goes to Houston, no bonus

10 day break as OWL Stage 2 resumes on Feb 21, hopefully the new signees for Shanghai will help them get their first win

They should make an A.I to compete in OW.
They have one for Dota 2, but it's only learned how to do 1v1 matchups.
A complete 6 player AI that could coordinate shields, heals, combos would dominate.

shira

https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/news/21497938/watch-overwatch-league-get-league-tokens
Watch OWL on Twitch, win free skins and emotes

NRKCTXZNWRQ81519177975121.jpg

1*fYHu8oLjCov7HA3l81xh0A.jpeg

Last edited:

bigedole

Dang, only 1 token per map win lol. Would have to watch 33 matches at least to get 1 skin, so 11 days of OWL. But, at least there's a mechanism for getting them, can't look a gift horse in the mouth I suppose. Thanks for sharing!

shira

Dang, only 1 token per map win lol. Would have to watch 33 matches at least to get 1 skin, so 11 days of OWL. But, at least there's a mechanism for getting them, can't look a gift horse in the mouth I suppose. Thanks for sharing!
I got 2 tokens watching
In the end I don't know it's worth it.

bigedole

8 yesterday, I'm not exactly sure how it works. I thought I had twitch open for the entire event, but I had switched tabs at one point for a while and switched back, dunno if it counted that. Either way, it's not awful and at least there's a way to get them other than buying them outright.

bigedole

For sure, I was also surprised Mayhem took a map off NYXL. I think the meta shift is going to make it a little harder to predict outcomes. Will be especially interesting to see how the meta settles, since it doesn't look like everyone is convinced that dive is still the dominant way to go. I'm also kind of pleasantly surprised to see Mercy still being used, even without Pharah. This may be the healthiest meta for supports yet.

shira

Stage 2 win-loss (maps won-tie-lost) [Overall win-loss (maps won-tie-lost)]
CxxLhmL.png
Philadelphia Fusion 2-0 (8-0-0) [8-4 (28-1-24)]
CPa9xbH.png
Seoul Dynasty 2-0 (7-0-1) [9-3 (32-2-17)]
zU64qSe.png
Houston Outlaws 2-0 (7-0-2) [9-3 (37-0-15)]
wDJR8Ub.png
Dallas Fuel 2-0 (6-0-2) [5-7 (20-3-27)]
6ZgPLAT.png
NY Excelsior 1-1 (5-0-4) [10-2 (36-2-14)]
y5CgvN1.png
LA Gladiators 1-1 (5-0-3) [5-7 (21-0-29)]
63GN6Aj.png
London Spitfire 1-1 (5-0-5) [8-4 (34-0-19)]
UlfZl5H.png
LA Valiant 1-1 (3-1-4) [7-4 (26-3-17)]
87anKHo.png
Florida Mayhem 0-1 (1-0-3) [1-10 (10-1-38)]
JWG5vR2.png
Shanghai Dragons 0-2 (1-1-6) [0-11 (7-0-39)]
QSgMQ2X.png
SF Shock 0-2 (1-0-7) [3-9 (17-2-31)]
qLYF2jU.png
Boston Uprising 0-2 (0-0-8) [6-6 (27-0-25)]

Just to recap Stage 2 Week 1 we've seen some massive shifts in the standings as we move away from the Mercy meta.
The "Korean" teams: NY, Seoul, and London all looked a little less than invincible.
Dallas who got dumsptered face their first test today against Seoul and well Shanghai is still winless.

shira

Boston plays today so far 0-3(0-0-12)

Well at least they are facing fellow basement dweller Florida 0-3(2-0-10)

bigedole

They'll beat Florida. Boston as had a really tough opening stage 2 schedule, I don't think anyone really expected Philly to improve as much as they have but having beat Houston, they're clearly legitimate. I'm actually hopeful Dallas and LAV will be a good game, despite the 3-1 loss, Dallas actually looked pretty competitive against Seoul.

Somehow, Shanghai has fallen even further behind. I didn't really think that was possible.

shira

From last week

https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/n...nary-action-taimou-tairong-silkthread-and-xqc

- Timo “Taimou” Kettunen, of the Dallas Fuel, is fined $1,000 for using anti-gay slurs on his personal stream.
- Tae-yeong “TaiRong” Kim, of the Houston Outlaws, has received a formal warning for posting an offensive meme on social media. After the incident, TaiRong issued an unprompted public apology, and made a donation to the Hiroshima Peace Culture Foundation, actions which were taken into account when determining the judgment against him.
- Ted “Silkthread” Wang, of the Los Angeles Valiant, is fined $1,000 for account sharing, a violation of the Blizzard End User License Agreement.
- Félix “xQc” Lengyel, of the Dallas Fuel, is suspended for four matches, effective March 12, and fined $4,000. xQc repeatedly used an emote in a racially disparaging manner on the league’s stream and on social media, and used disparaging language against Overwatch League casters and fellow players on social media and on his personal stream. Previously, xQc has been warned, fined, and suspended for similar infractions.

Blizzard cleaning up Esports one step at a time.

bigedole

Man did SHD get stomped though. Guess you can't expect much from a team where no one speaks english and half are korean half chinese. I hope they figure out some chemistry, Ado especially looked good.

I was also super impressed with LAV, even though it was Seoul's B team they just dominated. Space may have had the best first match of any of the 18 year old's.

shira

Well here we are at the 2 Day Grand Finals for Season 1

Philly vs London

Winner takes $1M, loser $400k

Top Bottom