• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Owners left with worthless NFTs after F1 Delta Time racing game shuts down

fermcr

"F1 Delta Time was released in 2019 before the NFT boom and offered players a “play-to-earn” experience with its Ethereum-based NFTs. It’s just three years later, and the game has folded, leaving players with worthless investments.
The officially-licensed F1 game was geared toward racing fans and allowed them to live out their dreams of owning their own team. Unlike most games with paid content, every item in F1 Delta Time, including things like tires, cars, and helmets, were NFTs paid for with the Ethereum-based REVV token. Most in-game items weren’t expensive, but some, like the “111” car, were sold for around $113,000. The pay-to-play model was mandatory, and there was no way to build a team or race without buying the NFT items..."

https://dotesports.com/hardware/new...ts-after-f1-delta-time-racing-game-shuts-down

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/f1-delta-time-blockchain-game-shuts-down/

F1.jpg

I don't even feel bad for this and the Ex Infinity situation. My cryptobro coworker lost around 20k on that game and I can only laugh so much. He deserves to learn the lesson the hard way. He doesn't even like games, he called "this game thingy".

Kabelly

I only feel bad for myself for not scamming people sooner knowing how easy it seems.

Last edited:

Jennings

Maybe one of the wealthier players could just buy the game from the old devs and relaunch it in order to add value back to their investments.

At least with something physical, it has value and can actually increase in value, depending on its rarity. NFTs and anything digital are ultimately worthless in the grand scheme of things. Even digital games and DLC are worth zero if the servers are switched off and you can no longer access your content or the account that these are tied to.

Just do not understand why anyone would buy into NFTs at all. It just seems so pointless to me.

Inviusx

Ubisoft also announced today that they're walking away from Breakpoint and their NFT efforts in that space, the ultimate fate of all these schemes. We can only hope this quick rise and fall casts doubt among the other publishers that were holding off to see how these projects fared.

A win for all gamers I say.

Last edited:
Welcome to the future.......from a long time ago. What did they expect? they paid a lot of money, which won't have any value after the game is dead, like any other game as a service.

Of course, those who sell and get the money:
Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

Lunarorbit

Surely the players will be allow to keep their accessories when they start the next race in the DeLorean or ecto 1?

How can they defeat kong otherwise?

AGRacing

I guess NFT value should rise and fall with player count, eh?

That being said.. player count should always be public... and if you're invested you should bail out when you see the writing on the wall.

And of course the real geniuses will bail at the tippy top of the mountain ;)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When it comes to dumb digital purchases, I'd love to know the demographics how much are whales who dont give a shit about spending $10,000 and how much are average dudes getting sucked into a vortex, losing their shirt and complaining about being ripped off.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Guys, you are all wrong. Bree Larson bought one so you know they are legit.

Nfts are such a suckers bet. Technology moves to fast to be tied to this kind of an idea.

kevm3

It's just amazing how businesses can invent something out of thin air and get people to spend handfuls of cash for it.

Top Bottom