• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Owning A Piece Of My Childhood - MvC2

Some of my fondest memories growing up involved videogames. Getting a Super Nintendo for my birthday. Playing Mortal Kombat for hours with my uncle. Going to Toys R Us all the time to experience the N64 while saving up to buy one, then finally owning one. Beating Ocarina Of Time and feeling like I just went on a real life epic adventure.

Another big part was going to my local mall, to Aladdins Castle arcade and playing Marvel vs Capcom 2. Just seeing the arcade cabinet, practicing on it, seeing all the crazy air combos people would do & being blown away, time and time again was such joy. Now, Im in my late 30’s and arcades are pretty much a thing of the past, at least as I known them. And then I came across an announcement. Arcade1up is releasing a Marvel Vs Capcom 2 Arcade cabinet. For the very high price tag of $600. Man thats expensive. But could it be though? Could I own this piece of my childhood? Will it actually take me back to that time? Well I bought it. And it did.

B9lY4qe.jpg

I know its expensive. Yes there are some issues. Its a bit smaller then a normal size arcade. Its online is not up and running yet. The sound sometimes turns down by itself. But you know what? When I turn that machine on, and the classic marquee lights up, the jazz music starts, and Im standing there with a full arcade stick in my clutches, and an arcade screen in my face, Im back to my childhood. And I own it. Its just me, as a kid, feeling like a superhero, pulling of some crazy moves, feeling victorious (or pissed) and no worries in the world. Its AMAZING. And to know I can freeze this moment in time for potentially the rest of my life in a certain way, its so wonderful. I hope everyone else here gets to have things like this that make you feel good, to remember, and to have those moments where the worries of the world don't exist and you are just happy. I love gaming.

p.s- I recorded a video of my unboxing and my review, and I’m not that articulate or expressive as I talk but these are the feelings I felt as I constructed this and played it:

I watched a YouTube vid the other day with some guy showing off a custom cabinet from some primo high dollar outfit. It was a gorgeous monster, and stuffed with every game/emulator under the sun. The coolest part was a customized display marquee that would show the original arcade marquee for whatever title you were playing. It was badass. It was also like 10k which is laughably expensive for a glorified emu machine, but damn if it didn't look amazing.

Arcade cabinets are absolutely bonkers to own. One is fine, but several require a large amount of space and time to play. Most of them often end up collecting dust in some back room.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This is one cabinet I really wanted to buy, but I couldn’t convince my wife due to space. One day maybe. I have a lot of fond memories of Aladdin’s Castle and Family Fun arcades.

MrMephistoX

I modified my Arcade 1up with a raspberry pi, if you want more games.
The MVC2 cab seems like one of the perfect ones to mod too since it has 6 buttons and some other cabinets like Pac-Man have like 2 buttons only…plus the artwork looks amazing! If I had more room I’d buy one of these in a heartbeat but for now Steamdeck will have to do.

Where is this if you don't mind me asking?
Its not there anymore. Erased…from existence. It was inside a mall called Del Amo Fashion Center in southern California, city of Torrance, which completely changed years ago.
Arcade cabinets are absolutely bonkers to own. One is fine, but several require a large amount of space and time to play. Most of them often end up collecting dust in some back room.
Yeah, I just have this in my room but I was thinking if I can own a home one day with a gameroom, this is my #1 item I want in it & if I don’t get one now, who knows if I’ll ever get the opportunity to get one again.

Getting to feel that youth and pure enjoyment again is amazing. You can't put a price on that feeling. Sounds like a wise investment to me. I'd like to pick one up myself. Doesn't it have like a dozen other games as well?
I haven’t gotten to the other games yet as I’ve been practicing getting good at air combos but yeah it has 7 other games.
Marvel vs Capcom
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes
Children of the ATOM
Mutant Apocalypse
War of the Gems

I modified my Arcade 1up with a raspberry pi, if you want more games.
Thats awsome, was it expensive? I kind of don’t want to change the insides but I did see people add games to the other A1Ups without changing any of the hardware inside.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
This and the x-men arcade cabinet are the two I would buy if I could. Just checked the arcade 1up website and they are oos for mvc2 :(

A.Romero

Looks pretty great. I didn't know this existed.

I've been thinking about building a half cabinet. I'll probably do it next year once I upgrade my PC and use some of the components on my current PC for it.

Top Bottom