• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P90: The Weird SMG That Became A Gaming Icon - MOST CURSED Weapons Of 2022

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

From Goldeneye 007 to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare via Stargate SG-1, the FN P90 has cemented itself as one of the most iconic SMGs in pop culture. With the help of Jonathan Ferguson, Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries Museum in the UK, we break down what makes this unique PDW so iconic, and why games have embraced this weird little SMG.

In this episode of Loadout, Dave Jewitt visits the Royal Armouries to talk to Keeper of Firearms & Artillery Jonathan Ferguson to chat about one of pop culture’s most iconic submachine guns, the P90.

AGRacing

b6tkckC.gif

GymWolf

Coolest thing is usually the form factor and sound, as a weapon is almost always shitty with those small bullets.

I like mine. The round is expensive however so going to the range with it is a a treat rather than an every range trip type of thing.

I never bothered to SBR mine for that very reason.

Sadly COD and BF got me addicted to gun collecting and a lot of my purchases were based off of those games. Splinter cell made me buy my MK 23.

It’s an expensive hobby and being a gamer doesn’t help because you naturally want the real deal (minus the fun switch) after fucking around with them in games.

7yjbM15.jpg
O0VqJmX.jpg

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I like mine. The round is expensive however so going to the range with it is a a treat rather than an every range trip type of thing.

I never bothered to SBR mine for that very reason.

Sadly COD and BF got me addicted to gun collecting and a lot of my purchases were based off of those games. Splinter cell made me buy my MK 23.

It’s an expensive hobby and being a gamer doesn’t help because you naturally want the real deal (minus the fun switch) after fucking around with them in games.

7yjbM15.jpg
O0VqJmX.jpg
I’m guessing you are from the USA I am not so it just seems a world away for me.being able to buy such things.

Toots

Gold Member
It's not weird its French :messenger_blowing_kiss:

"Fabrique Nationale Projet 90" = National Factory Project 90 (makes you wonder about the 89 other projects...)
900 shots per minute, 50 bullets in a mag (I don't know anything about gun but i'm guessing those are the important characteristics)
French gun FTW

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It's not weird its French :messenger_blowing_kiss:

"Fabrique Nationale Projet 90" = National Factory Project 90 (makes you wonder about the 89 other projects...)
900 shots per minute, 50 bullets in a mag (I don't know anything about gun but i'm guessing those are the important characteristics)
French gun FTW

FN is Belgian.

Toots

Gold Member
You don't get claim things for your country, just because you like them.
France has made many interesting weapons for centuries, but the P90 is not one of them.
It's hard to be trolling (even gently) when you are such a collected individual...

I was totally wrong, i always thought that the fnp90 was a french rifle, maybe because it equipped french special forces in the 90s when i was a child (and as such really impressionable). I think us french stopped making good tools of war, or being good at war after Napoléon, and i don't see anything wrong in that, let us focus on making love, not war. And i mean it litteraly.

winjer

Gold Member
It's hard to be trolling (even gently) when you are such a collected individual...

I was totally wrong, i always thought that the fnp90 was a french rifle, maybe because it equipped french special forces in the 90s when i was a child (and as such really impressionable). I think us french stopped making good tools of war, or being good at war after Napoléon, and i don't see anything wrong in that, let us focus on making love, not war. And i mean it litteraly.

Seriously dude, you have to study your countries history a bit better.
For example, one of the most important weapons of all time, is a French rifle. The Lebel rifle, also known as Fusil Mle 1886 M93, was the first rifle ever to use smokeless powder.
Over night, this rifle made all other rifles in the world, obsolete. No other small arm had such a impact.
Or we should remember the Chassepot, aka Fusil modèle 1866. Used during the French-Prussian war, it was much better than the Dreyse needle-gun, and was a gigantic advantage for the French army.
It was the Krupp's artillery that gave the Prussians the victory.
Even recently, you had the Famas, a widely praised bullpup.
And mind you, I'm skipping a lot of great French small arms.

But even your military had some important victories, after the Napoleonic era. Remember WW1, for example.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Alx

Alx

I had no idea the P90 was Belgian. I only saw it in Stargate SG1 and assumed there was some advertising deal for a US brand in there.
Still think it's an ugly gun anyway. Like "what if someone made a rifle for Playmobils and then adapted it for real humans ?".

*e - thinking about it, the French dub for Stargate SG1 should be changed from "P-quatre-vingt-dix" to "P-nonante" then. :p

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Seriously dude, you have to study your countries history a bit better.
For example, one of the most important weapons of all time, is a French rifle. The Lebel rifle, also known as Fusil Mle 1886 M93, was the first rifle ever to use smokeless powder.
Over night, this rifle made all other rifles in the world, obsolete. No other small arm had such a impact.
Or we should remember the Chassepot, aka Fusil modèle 1866. Used during the French-Prussian war, it was much better than the Dreyse needle-gun, and was a gigantic advantage for the French army.
It was the Krupp's artillery that gave the Prussians the victory.
Even recently, you had the Famas, a widely praised bullpup.
And mind you, I'm skipping a lot of great French small arms.

But even your military had some important victories, after the Napoleonic era. Remember WW1, for example.
Are you the dude in the video ? Or do you just love weapons this much :/
Im kidding your interest seems to stem from love of History more than love of « violence »
I don’t intend to educate myself on guns, I find other topics more suitable for my interests (sorry i don’t know how to say it in English and not sound like a tremendous douchebag), but at least your post made me realize my mistake, it is the famas that was french special forces weapon of choice not the fnp90. I mixed up both.
The famas was another weird francophone (;)) video game gun, as it was used in metal gear solid if I’m not mistaken.

winjer

Gold Member
Are you the dude in the video ? Or do you just love weapons this much :/
Im kidding your interest seems to stem from love of History more than love of « violence »
I don’t intend to educate myself on guns, I find other topics more suitable for my interests (sorry i don’t know how to say it in English and not sound like a tremendous douchebag), but at least your post made me realize my mistake, it is the famas that was french special forces weapon of choice not the fnp90. I mixed up both.
The famas was another weird francophone (;)) video game gun, as it was used in metal gear solid if I’m not mistaken.

I love history and wars are one of the most brutal catalyst of change in history. So understanding the guns used, is a part of it.
Although I find weapons very interesting, I'm also for strict gun control, as I don't want my country to became a cluster of mass shootings like the USA.
I live in the 6th most peaceful country in the world, and I would very much like to keep it that way.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Jonathan Ferguson, a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries, breaks down a range of weapons from games like Escape From Tarkov, Team Fortress 2, and Resident Evil Village.

00:00 - Intro
00:42 - Mk18 ABR - ARMA 3
01:59 - Origin 12 - Call of Duty: Warzone
02:51 - Werndl M1873/77 - Isonzo
04:08 - Double-Barrel Shotgun - Fallout 4
05:18 - MP5 - Back 4 Blood
06:23 - USM AI - Resident Evil Village
07:05 - RPK 74 - ARMA Reforger
08:05 - 357 Magnum - Back 4 Blood
09:35 - SIG Sauer MPX - Escape From Tarkov
10:46 - 1897 Winchester Shotgun - Resident Evil Village
11:48 - GOL Sniper Magnum - Battlefield: Bad Company 2
12:51 - Uzi- Back 4 Blood
14:10 - BFR Revolver - Resident Evil Village
15:21 - AI Arctic Warfare Magnum - PUBG: Battlegrounds
16:25 - The Back Scatter - Team Fortress 2
18:33 - Ending

In the latest video in the Firearm Expert Reacts series, Jonathan Ferguson--a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries--breaks down a range of weapons from games like Escape From Tarkov, Team Fortress 2, and Resident Evil Village.

Top Bottom