• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pain inside ribs and skin getting red...

Status
Not open for further replies.
chestburster.gif.cropdas8f.gif

Hahaha they had the Hot Kinky Joe gif when I searched for this.

I got what I came here for , thanks.

But I've had it this pain for a week. I really want it checked out, but I'm not sure if it's ER worthy. I'm kinda short on cash and I don't really want to pay the deductible of max €350.

PS. I know I sound like a damn annoying person at the moment. It's weird to be on this side of this kind of thread.

GO TO A DOCTOR! You know you body better than anyone and if you think there is something wrong there's no point taking chances.

With that out of the way:
Are you a smoker? Are you getting enough exercise? Does your job involve a lot of sitting at computers or inactivity? Are you sleeping okay? Balanced diet?

Stop smoking. Get a better adjusted chair. Go for at least a 45 min walk in the fresh air each day. Eat well. Your mattress can have a pretty bad cumulative effect on your back and can form pressure points. Try doing some light but regular stretching to exercise the chest area, like 15 minutes waving your arms about (yeah, i'm not gym person, lol) in the evening and then repeat in the morning for 2 days, see if that eases any muscles that may have cramped.

Also, try some breathing exercises that use your entire lung capacity - in and out:

First practice taking slow, calm and measured in and out breaths of the same length. Then slowly deepen, lengthen them - your diaphragm should flex out at max capacity and you will feel the tension of rib muscles at min capacity. Observe if you can pinpoint any pain and note where and when - if not, try some calming breathing exercises: they might help relieve some anxiety. Give the regime two days to check for signs of improvement.

If you feel pain at any point during the above - then you will probably be more anxious than you ever were before you read this. I am sorry about that. I am not a doctor. You really should have gone to a doctor :)

Weilthain

Banned
This goes against everything I've ever heard about the NHS.

I can't imagine what it feels like not going to the hospital because of money worries.

In the UK you'd just go to hospital and be taken care of, no matter what.

For example, my wife is pregnant and early on she found blood down below, obviously we were scared and went straight to the hospital. Waited about 1 hour, had an ultrasound scan and everything to make sure everything was ok. Cost nothing. Huge relief that everything was ok.

In America would this have cost me hundreds of $? Would I have thought about not going to the hospital and risk further problems because I did'nt want to potentialy "waste" the money? I hate to think what it would be like. :(

hope you get it sorted out. that must really suck.

EDIT : I just assumed America, didn't realise it was Holland.

junkboy

Explosion Master Supreme
My money is on shingles. Go to a doctor ASAP and get treatment before it fully breaks out. I didn't do it and oh boy do I regret it...

Well, I don't wanna be that guy, but eh, should I worry about this pain I'm having in my chest for a week? It's the kind of pain like as if I had a random fork in my body and sometimes it hurts randomly with the wrong movement. When I wake up in the morning I feel like I've been beaten up. I have a hard time pin-pointing where exactly the pain is, one moment I think it's my back, then underneath my ribs, then just in my abdomen.

Now what prompted me into alarm mode is that I noticed red, irritated skin on my left side. I thought it must've been coincidence, but now I see like the same irritated skin on 2 more spots, together all 3 seems to kind of highlight the bottom of my left lung.

Does it get randomly itchy and does the pain appear kinda randomly? Have you had chickenpox when you were a kid? This might be the same virus that is now coming back as herpes zoster (can be caused by stress).

Liha

Banned
But I've had it this pain for a week. I really want it checked out, but I'm not sure if it's ER worthy. I'm kinda short on cash and I don't really want to pay the deductible of max €350.

PS. I know I sound like a damn annoying person at the moment. It's weird to be on this side of this kind of thread.

350 deductible? I am happy I live in austria.

ShinNL

Does it get randomly itchy and does the pain appear kinda randomly? Have you had chickenpox when you were a kid? This might be the same virus that is now coming back as herpes zoster (can be caused by stress).
It's not itchy in any way. Rather my left chest feels like it's one big bruise on the inside. The pain is kinda random. The biggest pain spikes are more like someone just punched you in a non-lethal fight and the lowest spikes can be someone pressing on a bruise with a finger. Never comfortable though, even sitting here and I feel something.

Don't know about chickenpox, but I did get my common vaccines as a kid.

I woke up like shit today just like the last few days, but I don't feel like the pain is any worse than the days before. I'll just wait out on Monday. If I don't update, then I'm dead. (I hope this sentence stays as a joke)

GO TO A DOCTOR! You know you body better than anyone and if you think there is something wrong there's no point taking chances.

With that out of the way:
Are you a smoker? Are you getting enough exercise? Does your job involve a lot of sitting at computers or inactivity? Are you sleeping okay? Balanced diet?

Stop smoking. Get a better adjusted chair. Go for at least a 45 min walk in the fresh air each day. Eat well. Your mattress can have a pretty bad cumulative effect on your back and can form pressure points. Try doing some light but regular stretching to exercise the chest area, like 15 minutes waving your arms about (yeah, i'm not gym person, lol) in the evening and then repeat in the morning for 2 days, see if that eases any muscles that may have cramped.

Also, try some breathing exercises that use your entire lung capacity - in and out:

First practice taking slow, calm and measured in and out breaths of the same length. Then slowly deepen, lengthen them - your diaphragm should flex out at max capacity and you will feel the tension of rib muscles at min capacity. Observe if you can pinpoint any pain and note where and when - if not, try some calming breathing exercises: they might help relieve some anxiety. Give the regime two days to check for signs of improvement.

If you feel pain at any point during the above - then you will probably be more anxious than you ever were before you read this. I am sorry about that. I am not a doctor. You really should have gone to a doctor :)
Thanks for your post. While the pain is like near my left lung, I don't seem to have any problems breathing. I only smoke e-cigs, never been an actual smoker. I normally do some moderate weight training at home but I'm afraid if it's a muscle issue that I might tear some stuff so I haven't been doing that this week.

Thanks for your post. While the pain is like near my left lung, I don't seem to have any problems breathing. I only smoke e-cigs, never been an actual smoker. I normally do some moderate weight training at home but I'm afraid if it's a muscle issue that I might tear some stuff so I haven't been doing that this week.

Well, good news that the pain hasn't worsened.

Honestly, if you smoke e-cigs regularly, I would try swapping out for an approved substitute like patches or gum for a week, see if this helps.

There are still a lot of unknowns with e-cigs. I'm not saying they are dangerous or making any assumptions. I'm a fan of Alexander Shulgin, after all :D

The quality of e-cigs is still unregulated and independent researchers have found some brands containing nitrosamines, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acrolein in the vapour or liquid. These are found in regular industry tobacco smoke: some are formed from nicotine alkaloids reacting with tobacco alkaloids. No more dangerous than a cigarette, but I thought the point was to have a safer alternative?

So, there are many unknowns: additives and contaminant are present in this unregulated industry and now stalwart tobacco industry forces are getting in on the action, not sure if that will lead to a safer product or a more addictive product given their history :D

As for exercise and stretching: I don't even lift :(
I use inertia and momentum of my body to stretch muscles. I wouldn't suggest using any extra weights in your position - just the lightest of stretching movements, if anything at all :)

smr00

Banned
Why do people in pain always come to the internet before going to a doctor?

Go to a walk in clinic or something, stop being silly.

ShinNL

Update:

I live.

With shingles.

PS. I woke up like shit today. The pain is ridiculous without painkillers (which I have now).

Vlodril

I always keep thinking threads like this are trolls or something because they always sound unbelievably stupid to me.. Anyway all ended well(this time..).

Well, I don't wanna be that guy, but eh, should I worry about this pain I'm having in my chest for a week? It's the kind of pain like as if I had a random fork in my body and sometimes it hurts randomly with the wrong movement. When I wake up in the morning I feel like I've been beaten up. I have a hard time pin-pointing where exactly the pain is, one moment I think it's my back, then underneath my ribs, then just in my abdomen.

Now what prompted me into alarm mode is that I noticed red, irritated skin on my left side. I thought it must've been coincidence, but now I see like the same irritated skin on 2 more spots, together all 3 seems to kind of highlight the bottom of my left lung.

It's 4 AM here so I can't really do much and tomorrow I have to go to a friend to celebrate his birthday, but yeah... I guess I should go to the hospital on Sunday, right?

Dude... no. Go to a fuckin hospital man. You young guys, you fret over nothing and then brush off like the most ultimate of serious shit. Your body is telling you, "please, please, get me help. I don't know how many more signs I have to give you. Will it take passing out? Death? Please, don't make it be death. Look, I'm even showing you external signs of an internal problem. Please get me help."

Do not ignore this.

*edit* Damn, so it's shingles. Only good thing I can say is that my Mom had that and it eventually went away so I don't think it's some permanent life will be super sucky from here on out thing.

CPCunha

Had a shingles event about two months ago, but i guess i detected it early enough so i never really got any pain from it, just a weird numbness/itchiness on the area... Noticed a red spot on my chest about the size of my thumb and went to see a doctor the same day. the worst part for me is that i can still see the affected area... it takes sooo long to heal visually. But you're going to be fine!

Rlan

Okay, now, the symptoms you describe point to ‘bonus eruptus’, it’s a terrible disorder where the skeleton tries to leap out the mouth and escape the body.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
as my doctor has told me, if you're young, don't smoke, do enough exercise, not obese, and neither you nor your family have a history with heart disease/high blood pressure/high cholesterol, then chest pain is most likely (almost certainly) not a heart problem, esp. if it doesn't happen after exercise or strenuous activity. of course, better safe than sorry, but there are lots of costs (financial and otherwise) of a rush trip to the doctor or emergency room. not to mention that anxiety/freaking out can only make things worse.

snarge

OP, it sounded like shingles from the get-go, glad it's something not life threatening...but shingles are the worst! Pro-Tips: Be very aware of what you are touching...as in Don't touch your face, especially around your eyes. It can spread there and do a lot of harm. So frequently wash your hands too. Don't scratch the blisters when they are healing and keep the wounds clean and treated to prevent scarring. Good luck and take care!

Az987

all good things
Costochondritis maybe.

I was diagnosed after my doctor told me to go to the ER. They told me to take ibuprofen and gave me a $1500 bill my insurance didn't cover. Weeeeee!

Just kidding I don't know how to read.

Demon Ice

Banned
Well,should I worry about this pain I'm having in my chest for a week? It's the kind of pain like as if I had a random fork in my body and sometimes it hurts randomly with the wrong movement. When I wake up in the morning I feel like I've been beaten up

This sounds like shingles.

Edit: Cool it's shingles

dbztrk

It's 4 AM here so I can't really do much and tomorrow I have to go to a friend to celebrate his birthday, but yeah... I guess I should go to the hospital on Sunday, right?

You want to wait to go to the hospital? A friend's birthday party is more important than your own health? You do realize that if this is serious, you may not live to see your next birthday right?

Raiden

Banned
You know, i read tons of threads like this and then forget about them because they're never updated.

Hope you dont die OP, but update the thread yo!

ShinNL

Did you get the super expensive medication? I went to emergency so I got them for $20 instead of $500.
I have no clue to be honest. The doctor gave me the prescription for painkillers, not sure if that's part of the deductible or not. He also recommended me some creme for the skin, which was only a few bucks that I could buy without prescriptions.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
You sure he gave you painkillers?

no Valtrex ( Valaciclovir ) or other anti-virals?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Man, so now you got herpes
shingles
for the rest of your life?

Shingles is basically a flare-up of the chickenpox virus, which lies dormant in your body's nerve cells for years/decades after initial exposure (usually when young, and resulting in a chickenpox outbreak upon initial exposure). Most people will have a shingles outbreak at some point.

Shingles is basically a flare-up of the chickenpox virus, which lies dormant in your body's nerve cells for years/decades after initial exposure (usually when young, and resulting in a chickenpox outbreak upon initial exposure). Most people will have a shingles outbreak at some point.

Alright, give it up OP - we all know you're the evil twin that poisoned the real GaimeGuy.

I've got shingles, too. Over the span of a couple of days, I went from, "Hey, what are these couple of little bumps on my lower back?" to "Holy Mother of God this hurts!" There's a 2"x1" oval patch of angry red bumps by my kidneys, though the pain and itching seems to permeate all the way to the front. Not fun!

Damn it..seems I just got this crap. What's the best way to deal with this? Got oxy, for the pain..ain't working. How long are you out of commission? Is exercise something I need to avoid? Any help would be great..geezuz..feels like someone is stabbing a large kitchen knife in my right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom