• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Part of the Marvelization of Hollywood is you have all these actors...but they're not movie stars." - Tarantino

Bragr

Banned
"Part of the Marvelization of Hollywood is you have all these actors who have become famous playing these characters, but they're not movie stars. Captain America is the star. Thor is the star."

"I mean, I'm not the first person to say that, I think that's been said a zillion times," he added. "But it's these franchise characters that become a star."

"My only axe to grind against them is they're the only things that seem to be made," he said. "And they're the only things that seem to generate any kind of excitement amongst a fan base or even for the studio making them. That's what they're excited about. And so it's just the fact that they are the entire representation of this era of movies right now. There's not really much room for anything else. That's my problem."

"Look, I used to collect Marvel comics like crazy when I was a kid," Tarantino said. "There's an aspect that if these movies were coming out when I was in my 20s, I would totally be fucking happy and totally love them. I mean, they wouldn't be the only movies being made. They would be those movies amongst other movies. But, you know, I'm almost 60, so yeah. No, I'm not quite as excited about them."

https://www.insider.com/quentin-tar...not-movie-stars-chris-evans-hemsworth-2022-11

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
297.png

Power Pro

I've always thought it spoke volumes by how widespread the appeal of first 3 phases of the MCU were that even my mother, who never cared for action or super hero movies before always went to the theaters to see a MCU movie. That's how affective they were.

I think Tarantino is wrong about the movie star thing though. Part of the reason they were grabbing her, is because they did have good movie stars in the first 3 phases. Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Paul Rudd, Chris Pratt all have star power. Even if I don't like every movie these actors do, they have a presence and charisma on screen that many of the current "stars" don't have. I think the rest of the MCU is just riding off the success of the more talented actors, and I think it's going to diminish when people are not as entertained by the lack of stars in future movies. It's still in that honeymoon period, so it's too soon to say if they'll keep making money.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Is he wrong though. No one goes to a movie to see the actor, they go for the IP. All the movie stars left gained their stardom in the 80s and 90s.
Yes they do. The fact that big names are still paid big bucks proves that. If the actors didn't matter and names didn't draw sales they would just hire lesser know actors for less and make the movie.

This is just another old school director throwing a hissy because the comic book movies are so successful compared to "traditional" movies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Makes sense.

There's so much CGI, flashy costumes, and hardly any dialogue. And no doubt hardly any meaningful dialogue. It's all about the super powers.

That's why superhero characters flip flop between actors all the time and nobody cares. People care about Batman. Not the person who plays Batman.

Kenpachii

Everybody knows the guy behind iron man and thor and superman and chris pratt etc. So wrong again. I watch the movie to watch the actual actors play the roll if they stop or move on i move on simple as that. Spiderman is a good example of that.

Look the guy is just a old school movie maker that sniffed to much of the holywood prestige bullshit that there are "classes of movies" with one being more worth then the other. Honestly movies are just entertainment and all those directors shouting at the cloud its not, are basically simple not competing anymore and die off as result.

Also there is room for other movies, top gun 2 was incredible good movie and scored perfectly fine money wise after corona.

The problem i have with older generation of movie makers, there movies in general are niche or simple not good to watch anymore. People's taste moved forwards and if u don't they will. Good luck.

Fbh

I think it has more to do with "influencers", youtubers, streamers, etc taking over the traditional celebrity role among younger generations.
If you talk to younger people a lot of them don't care that much about actors anymore, but they obssess over online celebrities. When I was growing up being a famous Hollywood actor was still one of those classic dream jobs, these days I think the average teen/young adult would much rather have a youtube channel with 80 million subs than being cast as a main character in a blockbuster movie.

He's not wrong. Does anybody actually give a damn about Chris Hemsworth outside of his Thor costume? I know I don't.

Sure, but at the same time if they would replace Hemsworth with some random other actor in the next movie fans wouldn't be happy.
Same if they bring back Tony Stark but it's not RDJ

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it has more to do with "influencers", youtubers, streamers, etc taking over the traditional celebrity role among younger generations.
If you talk to younger people a lot of them don't care that much about actors anymore, but they obssess over online celebrities. When I was growing up being a famous Hollywood actor was still one of those classic dream jobs, these days I think the average teen/young adult would much rather have a youtube channel with 80 million subs than being cast as a main character in a blockbuster movie.

Sure, but at the same time if they would replace Hemsworth with some random other actor in the next movie fans wouldn't be happy.
That's the power of social media. Frequency. A red carpet Hollywood star comes out with what? Two movies per year? Does some talk shows. And that's a wrap. A career youtuber or Twitter user does content every day where they churn out videos daily and tweets hourly.

Also, there is something more comforting and relatable to a YT star. Even if they are multimillionaires getting endorsements and click revenue they will always be more down to Earth than Hollywood celebs dolled up in make up, getting limo rides and insane requirements when doing a movie shoot. Google what some Hollywood stars demand to shoot a movie. Money is part of it. So is the laundry list of retarded demands. Elitism at its best. The best ones are celebs that demand no crew members are allowed to speak to them or certain food and snacks have to be on set.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well let's see, I just smoked a jay and have some time to vibe on this. Gonna just try and remember all of the heroes and major villains in rough (key word rough) order as they appeared. Green is they were already stars, red is a point to Tarantino, yellow is a toss up

• Iron Man | Robert Downey Jr | Was already one of the most popular actors in the world, and an icon
  • Pepper Potts | Gwyneth Paltrow | Was a huge star
  • Nick Fury | Samuel L Jackson | Icon
  • Captain America | Chris Evans | Was already a household name for the millennials who Marvel was targeting, but probably wasn't terribly well known amongst people Tarantino's age
  • Thor | Chris Hemsworth | Tarantino has a point here
  • Jane Foster, The Mighty Thor | Natalie Portman | Was already a huge star
  • Loki | Tom Hiddleston | Point Tarantino
  • Hulk | Mark Ruffalo | Was already a well known dramatic actor
  • Black Widow | Scarlett Johannessen | Was already a huge star
  • Hawk-Eye | Jeremy Renner | Among movie buffs he was well known. Furthermore his movie right before Thor was The Town, in which he was a nominee for an Academy Award for best supporting actor
  • The Falcon | Anthony Mackie | Was already a star. Maybe not a big star in terms of accolades and the caliber of films her worked on. But he had been in a slew of films and was immediately recognizable
  • Scarlet Witch | Elizabet Olsen | Point Tarantino
  • Quicksilver | Aaron Taylor-Johnson | Pretty well known, in that he was one of those actors who's face many recognized but didn't know his name. Toss up
  • Spider-Man | Tom Holland | Toss up, because it's not really fair. Dude was practically a kid and this was his first major film role, and to my knowledge first work outside of the UK
  • Star Lord | Chris Pratt | Was definitely a big star from The Office Parks and Rec alone. In fact more people still probably remember him from that moreso than Marvel stuff
  • Gamora | Zoe Saldana | Had already been a lead in her own films, and was in Star Trek
  • Groot | Vin Diesel | Was already a huge star
  • Rocket Raccoon | Bradley Cooper | Was already a huge star
  • Drax the Destroyer | Dave Bautista | As far as his film work goes, sure, newcomer. But he was well known as a wrestler and fighter. Toss up
  • Ultron | James Spader | Was already an icon like his pal Downey Jr
  • Thanos | Josh Brolin | Was already a huge star
  • Doctor Strange | Benedict Cumberbatch | Was already am international star
  • Wong | Benedict Wong | He was a already a journeyman actor, but not well known. Point Tarantino
  • Black Panther | Chadwick Boseman | As far as I recall this was his first real role. Point for Tarantino
  • Shuri | Letitia Wright | Point Tarantino
  • Ramonda | Angela Basset | Was a star and icon
  • Erik Killmonger | Michael B Jordan | Was already a huge star
  • Ant-Man | Paul Rudd | Huge star already
  • The Wasp | Evangeline Lilly | Was already a huge star from Lost
  • Hank Pym | Michael Douglas | Icon
  • The Vulture | Michael Keaton | Icon
  • Captain Marvel | Brie Larson | Point Tarantino
  • Yonn-Rogg | Jude Law | Was a huge star
  • Kang the Conqueror | Jonathan Majors | Toss up. His star was rapidly rising, but wasn't quite well known yet. He's looking to be a major star in the making however

OK that's all I can take. I probably missed a bunch. Final tally:

He's right: 7
He's wrong: 23
Toss up: 4

Conclusion: old man yelling at clouds

Edit: added a bunch I forgot

Last edited:

Wildebeest

If stars still sold movie tickets, then there would be no need for Marvel. Fact is that people just got used to stars being famous for being famous, and it is rude to care about "talent".

Well let's see, I just smoked a jay and have some time to vibe on this. Gonna just try and remember all of the heroes and major villains in rough (key word rough) order as they appeared. Green is they were already stars, red is a point to Tarantino, yellow is a toss up

• Iron Man | Robert Downey Jr | Was already one of the most popular actors in the world, and an icon
  • Captain America | Chris Evans | Was already a household name for the millennials who Marvel was targeting, but probably wasn't terribly well known amongst people Tarantino's age
  • Hawk-Eye | Jeremy Renner | Among movie buffs he was well known. Furthermore his movie right before Thor was The Town, in which he was a nominee for an Academy Award for best supporting actor
  • The Falcon | Anthony Mackie | Was already a star. Maybe not a big star in terms of accolades and the caliber of films her worked on. But he had been in a slew of films and was immediately recognizable
  • Quicksilver | Aaron Taylor-Johnson | Pretty well known, in that he was one of those actors who's face many recognized but didn't know his name. Toss up
  • Spider-Man | Tom Holland | Toss up, because it's not really fair. Dude was practically a kid and this was his first major film role, and to my knowledge first work outside of the UK
  • Star Lord | Chris Pratt | Was definitely a big star from The Office alone. In fact more people still probably remember him from that moreso than Marvel stuff
  • Gamora | Zoe Saldana | Had already been a lead in her own films, and was in Star Trek
  • Drax the Destroyer | Dave Bautista | As far as his film work goes, sure, newcomer. But he was well known as a wrestler and fighter. Toss up
  • Wong | Benedict Wong | He was a already a journeyman actor, but not well known. Point Tarantino
  • Black Panther | Chadwick Boseman | As far as I recall this was his first real role. Point for Tarantino
  • Kang the Conqueror | Jonathan Majors | Toss up. His star was rapidly rising, but wasn't quite well known yet. He's looking to be a major star in the making however

He's right: 6
He's wrong: 20

Lay off the drugs, they are clearly not good for you.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don't think when any of these actors were originally cast in a marvel film they would move the needle on ticket sales. They will now, but not then. Marvel made them stars.

dr_octagon

Banned

• Star Lord | Chris Pratt | Was definitely a big star from The Office alone. In fact more people still probably remember him from that moreso than Marvel stuff

He's right: 6
He's wrong: 20

Chris Pratt from Parks and Rec you mean?

bitbydeath

I disagree, look at Captain Marvel, if they cast someone else in the role that had less of a grumbly bitch face, then those movies would be a lot more popular.

DKehoe

He’s not wrong. Robert Downey Jr was theoretically the biggest actor on the planet and yet that Doolittle film lost money. Which actors from the MCU are a guaranteed box office draw? People aren’t going to films to see stars in the way they used to in the past. The star isn’t the draw, the franchise is. It’s just like Anthony Mackie said in that video strange headache strange headache posted

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This is just another old school director throwing a hissy because the comic book movies are so successful compared to "traditional" movies.
Yeah, and McDonald’s is the biggest restaurant chain in the world. I’m not mad about that but you’re not gonna catch me at one if there’s an alternative within 50 miles

Edit:
Though just like super hero movies, McDonald’s has breakfast, which is like a Batman movie in the super hero realm

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Yeah, and McDonald’s is the biggest restaurant chain in the world. I’m not mad about that but you’re not gonna catch me at one if there’s an alternative within 50 miles

Edit:
Though just like super hero movies, McDonald’s has breakfast, which is like a Batman movie in the super hero realm
Eh I enjoy them.

To use your example McDonald's will never be my favorite, but sometimes it nice to sit down have a greasy cheeseburger and some fries for some cheap enjoyment.

Bragr

Banned

• Star Lord | Chris Pratt | Was definitely a big star from The Office Parks and Rec alone. In fact more people still probably remember him from that moreso than Marvel stuff

A lot of these are not movie stars. Do you think Zoe Saldana, Mark Ruffalo, Jonathan Majors, Anthony Mackie, and Paul Rudd are movie stars? you need to increase your standards.

Hugare

So you telling me that when a new movie is announced with Samuel L Jackson in it, it doesnt sell as many tickets as announcing Nicky Fury in it?

I'm still trying to find the logic in here.

And that wasn't the case before with actors in iconic roles? Like every James Bond actor being remembered by their role? Or Daniel Radcliffe being remembered as "that Harry Potter actor"?

People watching movies for the characters and not the actors playing them.

Oh, the horror.

Basically, this

Start making exciting movies again, Tarantino. A 3h movie about Hollywood aint doing you any favors.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
A lot of these are not movie stars. Do you think Zoe Saldana, Mark Ruffalo, Jonathan Majors, Anthony Mackie, and Paul Rudd are movie stars? you need to increase your standards.

What in the world? lol

I knew there was a reason I had you on ignore for months until a week or so ago

So you telling me that when a new movie is announced with Samuel L Jackson in it, it doesnt sell as many tickets as announcing Nicky Fury in it?

Different people are drawn to movies for different reasons, right? I think some are assuming it's a binary decision, even Tarantino in a sense, when people's motivations for seeing specific movies are nuanced.

But, I think there is a strong argument to be made that franchises overall attract the general audience the most - actors be damned. That's why Marvel, Star Wars, et al consistently do so well. The actors and individual films/characters factor into the equation, but the brand overall is largest draw.

Last edited:
I'm completely with you on RDJ as he's completely inhabited that snarky sarcastic persona of Tony Stark. Sometimes I don't even think he's acting! As for Hemsworth being replaced I'm not sure the uproar would be as large as you might think, at least not compared to his contemporaries.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm completely with you on RDJ as he's completely inhabited that snarky sarcastic persona of Tony Stark. Sometimes I don't even think he's acting! As for Hemsworth being replaced I'm not sure the uproar would be as large as you might think, at least not compared to his contemporaries.

RDJ has always genuinely been like that. It's part of what made Iron Man so special. We RDJ fans were sitting there after the first ten minutes like "OMG he's playing himself but it's absolutely perfect".

Last edited:

Neolombax

I personally don't watch movies because of who acts in them, but it sure would make the experience better if the story was presented by competent actors/actresses.

Nobody_Important

Right…because it’s being pushed out in favor of 3 hours of video game cutscene level trash
Nothing is being pushed anywhere. A movie making less than a MCU film or DC film is not being "pushed out". You can buy a ticket for it or stream it just the same.

Lets not get silly here.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Nothing is being pushed anywhere. A movie making less than a MCU film or DC film is not being "pushed out". You can buy a ticket for it or stream it just the same.

Lets not get silly here.
It's not the same if you have to do more to find the good stuff, as you said.

Don't worry, I'm happy to just ignore super hero bullshit. But the deluge of trash in Star Wars, for example, a franchise I did actually care a lot about previously has kinda soured even the good stuff they're putting out like Andor. And you can see the influence of Marvel humor and other bullshit spreading into Star Wars, and it makes me sad. My space wizards used to be respectable :messenger_unamused:

Trilobit

Ever since Endgame I haven't really been interested or enjoyed Marvel movies. Covid messed up things sure, but that special spark is no more. If the next Ant-Man movie is mediocre I'll likely check out completely.

This your brain on drugs. The power of weed people. Kudos for banging that together I was sort of leaning on the side of Tarantino but after your post I think the Marvel-a-thon we've been seeing is just that transformation and Tarantino sees the end game. We're not quite there yet. Actors like the Rock or Jack Black etc basically live on their public persona as much as the cruise missile, irrespective of their current movie or genre.

Also, nice touch selecting a green font mate. Well played.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

It's not the same if you have to do more to find the good stuff, as you said.

Don't worry, I'm happy to just ignore super hero bullshit. But the deluge of trash in Star Wars, for example, a franchise I did actually care a lot about previously has kinda soured even the good stuff they're putting out like Andor. And you can see the influence of Marvel humor and other bullshit spreading into Star Wars, and it makes me sad. My space wizards used to be respectable :messenger_unamused:
Hey you won't hear disagreement from me about the Star Wars movies being trash. That is what could have been a great thing being tainted by shit writing. I'm just saying that the current run of comic book stuff has its place in the history of cinema. I see this current era no differently than I would the times when Westerns and Sci-Fi films were all the rage in the earlier days of cinema or how TV followed similar trends of medical shows, game shows, sitcoms, or detective shows throughout its history.

Sometimes in the Movie/TV world there are trends and the industry slavishly follows them because its what the people (the majority) want at the time. It comes and goes.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The thing is Tarentino's movies are mostly dramas and action flicks. I havent seen all his movies, but skimming what I remember they are traditional movies with zero CGI, people flying, aliens and shit like that.

Any filmmaker in his shoes probably sits there, sees Pixar and Superhero movies making a billion dollars, most of the movie is green screen sci-fi effects and no matter how hard he tries his movies will never be blockbusters like that. HIs movies are overall very successful though. But just in a different way. People have a cult following for his classics like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but I dont think anyone will watch his movies over and over again like people enjoying rewatching seeing crazy shit in a SW, Marvel or Batman movie.

I'm not even a big superhero movie fan, yet even I've seen reruns of Batman or old ass SW movies more than rewatching Tarantino films.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
All I hear is he is salty about the lake of feet.
Also Brie larson’s feet
No Way Beer GIF by Busch

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned

I don't know what you mean for "point to Tarantino".

Robert Downey had his career re launched after Iron Man. He can ask 30/40M a movie thanks to Iron Man.

Tom Hiddlestone and Chris Hemsworth were basically unknown aussie guys before Thor;

Paul Bettany is not a widely known superstar but he's quite famous now. He said he was about to quit his career before Avengers because he had no roles and nobody wanted him;

Mark Ruffalo did some good movies, but he wasn't a recognizable star before Avengers;

Boseman litterally became famous with Black Panther;

Top Bottom