• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pathfinder Lead Doesn’t Expect a Great Difference From Next-Gen Graphics After Seeing Halo Infinite

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

At PAX East 2020, Kai had the chance to interview Alexander Mishulin, Creative Director for Pathfinder: Kingmaker and the upcoming sequel Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous at Owlcat Games.

I would definitely get those. I set aside a hefty sum of money for that. I really like the fast loading times. For example, I played Marvel's Spider-Man, it's a great game, but eventually when hopping between the regions, I was getting tired of [riding] the metro. I don't expect a great difference in terms of graphics because when Microsoft was presenting the newest Xbox and new Halo, I actually caught myself thinking that I personally don't see a difference now. For our artists, there is a great difference, but not for me.
I kind of expect the games going the same route they're going right now with consoles. For some time, for a couple of years, while people learn how to make the best out of the consoles, we'll still be playing a mix of the generations and games will be very similar, but then somebody will do something really insane. We'll see.

It doesn't look like Mishulin was impressed with the Halo Infinite in-game trailer released at E3 2019, though admittedly for all we know the game could look much better when it releases in Holiday 2020. His comment on the first really impressive next-gen games taking quite some time before they land seems to be spot on, though, as that was also the case for pretty much every previous console generation so far. Developers will have to figure out how to optimize the new hardware first.

nikolino840

Yeah that's why the crossgen for Microsoft..Need many years to make a game,so to take full control of the new hardware we have to wait those games that are in early development now,not 4 years ago

Matt_Fox

Yes, this is one of the gimped titles from Microsoft Studios. I fully expect the XSX to be better res than the ancient Xbox One version but essentially they'll both be the same old gen game.

CuNi

He said his artists noticed a lot of difference though, so I don't know what to expect.

Imagine being in that lead position, not seeing a difference and then hear your artist employees talk about how awesome all the new tech looked like and the possibilities...
That man is in a "oof" position.

Vawn

Banned
We are at a point where graphics can only improve so much. The days of going from NES to SNES, PS1 to PS2, etc are long gone.

New generations will need to innovate in different ways. Getting rid of load times would be a great start.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Nothing wrong with an opinion, and I'm not thread complaining at all. But I'm just completely lost here. Can someone please explain the context and relevance. I mean, E3 2019 trailer, Pathfinder lead..? I don't get it, what does it mean?

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
That comments makes me want to....

fHBEzuZ.jpg

But then I remember how amazing the assets look and I smile again.

NZUQ6OB.jpg

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
As an artist I absolutely see a large graphical leap on halo infinite even if it’s a cross gen title. I think whatever this guy said has been taken out of context because there’s no way somebody is that daft.

Shmunter

Current gen game, why the surprise? Nothing to see here.

Game needs to be exclusive to a ~12tf console to realise true potential.

Cpu is the ultimate upgrade tho.

Last edited:

McCheese

It's a game that has to work on Xbox One S, so of course it won't look "next gen". There is a big difference between just turning all the dials up on a last-gen game, and creating something just for the newer hardware.

I think its worth pointing out for the people that dont actually bother reading before posting, he's talking about the E3 2019 trailer that we all saw. He hasnt actually seen the game itself.
Especially since it's had another year of development, just wait until there's actual gameplay footage... oh my, it'll look insane.

llien

Who was that "lesser XSeX console won't have negative impact, see, I can dynamically change resolution" idiot again?

I missed where he also downscaled, let me think, fucking GEOMETRY and TEXTURES.

Top Bottom