• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter launched.

Ivory Blood

Owlcat finally launched the promised kickstarter for the sequel. Considering Kingmaker after all the patches was one of the best RPG experiences I've had the pleasure of playing, I have high hopes for the second game and it's announced features - especially the Mythic destinies, who don't wanna be a lich, right?

f37d288c8b40d061680b3c459863fff3_original.png

Last edited:

data_jack

Lich class forever! Necromancy gang will unite and rule, no bones about it. I am unfamiliar with their first entry; does anyone have any experience with it or how well it played?

Ivory Blood

Lich class forever! Necromancy gang will unite and rule, no bones about it. I am unfamiliar with their first entry; does anyone have any experience with it or how well it played?
It's great now that they fixed it. Was literally unplayable at launch, but they learned a lot and promised to avoid exactly that kind of situation with the sequel.

The game itself imho is the real Baldur's Gate successor, no other CRPG had that feel of adventure. It has everything for everyone - story, companions, tactics, tons of possible character builds, even a turn-based mod that works perfectly.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh, cool.

I still haven't played the first one, as I was waiting on patches, but I've heard that the game is now like... fucking fanastic.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Owlcat finally launched the promised kickstarter for the sequel. Considering Kingmaker after all the patches was one of the best RPG experiences I've had the pleasure of playing, I have high hopes for the second game and it's announced features - especially the Mythic destinies, who don't wanna be a lich, right?

Is Kingmaker actually good now? I heard it was a disaster at launch with random insane difficulty spikes, and crazy unfair RNG. Did they fix that part of the game? Interesting story?

Ivory Blood

Is Kingmaker actually good now? I heard it was a disaster at launch with random insane difficulty spikes, and crazy unfair RNG. Did they fix that part of the game? Interesting story?
It's great now that they fixed it. Was literally unplayable at launch, but they learned a lot and promised to avoid exactly that kind of situation with the sequel.

The game itself imho is the real Baldur's Gate successor, no other CRPG had that feel of adventure. It has everything for everyone - story, companions, tactics, tons of possible character builds, even a turn-based mod that works perfectly.

Hopefully there are no time limits in this one. Those really sucked. Especially when they were related to some companion quests.

They said they would have some sort of limit where it makes sense, but nothing like the time limits in Kingmaker.
I didn't finish the game, I missed out on Tristans personal quest by not traveling with him and having a random encounter that would have triggered it in correct chapter and that killed my enthusiasm for it

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks! Interestingly enough, it was part of this month's Monthly Humble Bundle to which I still have a subscription.

I'm playing through the intro, and it seems really well made and polished, but holy shit they make no effort to introduce you to this world or its rules system. It's like 10x worse than Pillars of Eternity. I'm barely 40 minutes into the game and I have a party of 5 and well over 50 unique abilities across the characters in my party that I have no fucking clue what they do even after attempting to read descriptions. I feel like I'm playing a flight simulator, where it already expects that the player has an idea of how to operate an airplane. I'm just autoattacking everything in the tutorial area, but I assume I'm going to either need to buy the Pathfinder rule book and study it front to back or drop the difficulty down to the easiest option if I want to get much further...

Handel

So the hidden goal revealed to be a choice of three races(Catfolk, Kitsune, Ratfolk), only one of which will get in based off voting if the goal is met and at the end of the kickstarter. Going to put my vote towards Kitsune, I love Catfolk and am playing one right now in a campaign but cat-like races already have representation in other RPGs like the Khajit in TES. Ratfolk for same reason would be preferred over Catfolk, if only the Gunslinger class and the Ratfolk only Gulch Gunner archetype for it also made it in.

Thanks! Interestingly enough, it was part of this month's Monthly Humble Bundle to which I still have a subscription.

I'm playing through the intro, and it seems really well made and polished, but holy shit they make no effort to introduce you to this world or its rules system. It's like 10x worse than Pillars of Eternity. I'm barely 40 minutes into the game and I have a party of 5 and well over 50 unique abilities across the characters in my party that I have no fucking clue what they do even after attempting to read descriptions. I feel like I'm playing a flight simulator, where it already expects that the player has an idea of how to operate an airplane. I'm just autoattacking everything in the tutorial area, but I assume I'm going to either need to buy the Pathfinder rule book and study it front to back or drop the difficulty down to the easiest option if I want to get much further...
If the rules stick largely the same use this site :

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/

As soon as I found out about the kickstarter I funded it. Might take a year if bug fixes but the final product will be legendary.

Ivory Blood

Really surprised about the furry races. Was hoping for drow myself, but I guess catgirls and skaven are alright too.

Also: RAT LICHES!

giphy.gif

There are some good guides on RPGcodex in a dedicated thread. And yes, there is a lot of information if you are not familiar with the systems, but it's still very rewarding once you power through it.

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

Official turn-based mode is in.

643d39d4ded3a89dec3ef9b2361057a3_original.png

Dear Pathfinders,

We know that many of you are eager to see a turn-based mode in our new CRPG. And though our creative vision for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is real-time with pause—we’ve designed and balanced the game to be played that way—we don't want to ignore the voices of a huge part of our community that is asking for turn-based mode. We see all your comments, and we know just how much you want this. The truth is that we’ve been working on this for quite some time already, and the plan was to announce it later once we had a playable demo. But with all the enthusiasm in the community, we decided to share it with you now.

It is official now: we will be introducing a turn-based combat option in Wrath of the Righteous!

The mod community is amazing, and we are thankful for all the work they did with Pathfinder: Kingmaker. We took inspiration from Hsinyu’s mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/109

Once again, we want to stress out that our new CRPG is designed and balanced for RTWP, but with that, we're aiming to develop a turn-based mode to bring the game closer to a tabletop experience and give more control over combat for those of you, who prefer to play turn-by-turn. You will be able to control every action your characters take. More than that, we want to give you more tools to plan ahead and employ tactics based on your party's unique composition and abilities. You will be able to switch between modes on the fly, without the need to reload the location, which will give you the ability to fight any encounter in either mode at any moment.

There is still much work to do: we took the user mod as a starting point, and then we spent a long time reconsidering the interface, and also adding some useful features—for example, we will add the ability to see the exact path your character will take toward their target, taking static obstacles and other characters into account. You will also be able to see any attacks of opportunity that enemies are going to make if the character takes this path.

More info on turn-based mode will be revealed later, after we finish the Kickstarter campaign.

To arms, crusaders! Now it’s your TURN.

Owlcats

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I still haven't played much more of their first game since my last post, but this looked like something I wanted to support, so I put in $30 for the digital version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Virex

Banned
Pretty bold of them to have launched and funded the kickstarter while King Maker is still broken and filled with so much bugs.

Virex

Banned
Freezing, crashing, party members getting stuck, party members disappearing, quests still getting broken, saves still getting corrupted etc. etc. Not nearly as bad as on launch. EE fixed a lot but there are still a lot of bugs. Did you manage to play it at launch?

Edit : Spelling mistakes

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Freezing, crashing, party members getting stuck, party members disappearing, quests still getting broken, saves still getting corrupted etc. etc. Not nearly as bad as on launch. EE fixed a lot but there are still a lot of bugs. Did you manage to play it at launch?

Edit : Spelling mistakes

Naw, I waited a few months then did a few playthroughs. Last one was near the end of 2019, and I didn't have any issues. The only bug I get is performance degrading as your save becomes huge.

Virex

Banned
Naw, I waited a few months then did a few playthroughs. Last one was near the end of 2019, and I didn't have any issues. The only bug I get is performance degrading as your save becomes huge.
Dude, be glad you didn't play it at launch. It was a fucking nightmare. While I am not one to praise devs when their games launch in such a state at PFKM launched. It was still really good at launch. But the game was so broken. Hopefully with Wrath of the Righteous we will get a better launch. I assume you are a fan of crpgs?

Lanrutcon

Dude, be glad you didn't play it at launch. It was a fucking nightmare. While I am not one to praise devs when their games launch in such a state at PFKM launched. It was still really good at launch. But the game was so broken. Hopefully with Wrath of the Righteous we will get a better launch. I assume you are a fan of crpgs?

That totally aligns with what I heard/read on the initial reviews, which is why I waited. Owlcat basically aimed really, really high when it came to faithfully implementing the ruleset (which they achieved, eventually, but launch was a clusterfuck).

Huge fan of crpgs. Kingmaker was in my top 3 games for 2019.

Virex

Banned
That totally aligns with what I heard/read on the initial reviews, which is why I waited. Owlcat basically aimed really, really high when it came to faithfully implementing the ruleset (which they achieved, eventually, but launch was a clusterfuck).

Huge fan of crpgs. Kingmaker was in my top 3 games for 2019.
Have you played Atom?

Virex

Banned
Naw, last "new" crpg I tried was Encased (which was fine, a bit soulless, but fine).
Atom is really good. It's like Wasteland. But just in the Soviet union. But better than wasteland 1 and 2 could ever hope to be and it does Fallout 1 and 2 justice. You should give it a go sometime. And I fully agree, while I'm glad for the crpg "renaissance" we're going through. Most of them are bland and uninspiring. But I can highly recommend Atom. Tons of content and complete.

It's basically Fallout 3 that we never got.

Edit : Spelling mistakes. I should go to sleep. Haven't slept for almost 2 days.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Atom is really good. It's like Wasteland. But just in the Soviet union. But better than wasteland 1 and 2 could ever hope to be and it does Fallout 1 and 2 justice. You should give it a go sometime. And I fully agree, while I'm glad for the crpg "renaissance" we're going through. Most of them are bland and uninspiring. But I can highly recommend Atom. Tons of content and complete.

It's basically Fallout 3 that we never go.

I'll give it a shot. I think I've actually got it wishlisted!

Ivory Blood

It's basically Fallout 3 that we never go.
Yeah, Atom is basically old school Fallout,with some great writing. I'm really surprised that some of my favorite rpgs of the last years came from my home country, when the likes of Obsidian and Bioware have fallen.

Virex

Banned
Yeah, Atom is basically old school Fallout,with some great writing. I'm really surprised that some of my favorite rpgs of the last years came from my home country, when the likes of Obsidian and Bioware have fallen.
There's some good shit coming out of eastern Europe and Russia. Bar CDPR and their new "liberal" route they are taking.

Ivory Blood

And finally a word from the developers.

The End Is the Beginning

The campaign has ended. And we have only one thing to say: WOW. Something truly mythic has happened. The campaign blew through the roof and hit more than 2 000 000! Of course, we expected excitement for the Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous campaign—after all, it is our second project, and Kingmaker has gathered a loyal and dedicated community. But we could never have imagined so much support and passion for our new game! We reached the main goal in 15 hours, but more and more people kept flocking to our banner. And they weren’t just veterans: more than 20% of our backers had never supported a Kickstarter project before. Seeing the Pathfinder community grow and our games attract different CRPG fans makes us so proud. This means that there is something in our games for practically everyone.

But this interest also generated an endless tide of comments and discussions. We had our hands full with questions, feedback, and other comments—it was a great opportunity to learn more about our community and its wishes. But we are happy with the way our Kickstarter went: it was fun to read your guesses about the next stretch goal (go #codebreakers!), your messages expressing support, joking, and planning your first playthroughs.

We want to express our gratitude to you all, our community. Thank you for being smart, creative, and awesome! It is your support that will allow us to make Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous truly Mythic. Now it is our turn, and we will do our best to meet your highest expectations!

With this update, we also want to address some of your questions and offer a glimpse into the future of our community. Currently, our backer portal is under construction and we are planning to launch it by the end of March. It will allow every Kickstarter backer to access a personal account where they will be able to manage or upgrade their pledge, select specific add-ons, receive digital rewards, and provide personal information (such as their shipping address). We will also provide guides on pledging via PayPal, pre-ordering, receiving your digital rewards, and other important topics.

We want to confirm that it will be possible to support us after the end of Kickstarter campaign for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous during slacker backer campaign. This way you can help us reach the last stretch goal on our backer portal. Closed Alpha Test will launch in April. There are a lot of big and small things to arrange before it starts. We will announce the date closer to April.

And, though the Kickstarter may have ended, there is so much we still want to tell you about! Mythic paths, new classes and archetypes, our development “kitchen,” the lore surrounding Wrath of the Righteous… Lots of interesting and exciting stuff. That’s why we’ll be bringing back our Development Diaries, updates about Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous and everything related to it. Our diaries will be presented in various formats, but the two main ones will be: 1) Video dev diaries showing off cool features; 2) Forum dev diaries where you will be able to ask team members questions on specific topics and provide feedback; Besides the Development Diaries, we also plan to address important discussions in our smaller Community Updates. With the help of our moderators on different platforms, we’ll be gathering hot topics and popular questions that crop up during each week and posting a short update with answers or thoughts. This will allow us to have constant communication with the community and address your questions on a regular basis. And there is even more content to come! So now might be a good time to subscribe to our YouTube channel *wink wink*. We also plan to host various streams: Q&As, builds and strategies, collaborations with content creators, and maybe playthroughs of classic CRPGs. If you have ideas about what we should cover, share your thoughts in the comments!

We have also created an infographic to share some details of the campaign with all of you.

222783512e9dbb39cb7f4b415a8e34cc_original.png

amigastar

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous looking good, never played Kingmaker but this one looks promising.

Top Bottom