• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pathfinder : Wrath of the Righteous Reviews

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Bought it on Steam Deck. So, far it plays well. Everything is mapped right from the start, with icons clearly listed on the screen. Very polished!!

geary

For a port that they've had over a year to work on, I expected better.
They released 2 Expansions and fixed numerous bugs on PC in the course of a year. I don't think they worked to much on the port. And these games are heavily CPU bounded. PS4 and Xbox One might lack the power in that area. Realistically talking, you guys shouldn't expect to much of optimization of any 202X+ games on old gen.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
This game is so fuckin good. Performance is kinda disappointing, no official ps5 support means you're stuck with crappy loading times. A few weird bugs, and I've had 2 crashes as well in about 20 hours of play. For a port that they've had over a year to work on, I expected better.
Technical problems aside, the game is phenomenal. I spent over two hours just fucking around in character creation, the amount of options is almost overwhelming. Party members are cool and (mostly) well written. Regill the gnomish Hellknight is a bad mofo.

I spent a good 7 hours in the character creator and first level just tyring things out. There are so many combinations and archetypes that you can imagine balance being all over the place but it somehow isnt. They did so well balancing all of this shit.

The midgame is some of the best cRPG gaming in a long time.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
10 hours in, playing on a 3080 via couch life, 65" C1 beaming Golarion's goodness to my retinas.

Playing with a controller, what a time to be alive.

Reactions: Isa
They released 2 Expansions and fixed numerous bugs on PC in the course of a year. I don't think they worked to much on the port. And these games are heavily CPU bounded. PS4 and Xbox One my lack the power in that area. Realistically talking, you guys shouldn't expect to much of optimization of any 202X+ games on old gen.

No native ps5 support is a pretty big bummer. Would be worth it for the load times alone. I shouldn't have been surprised by the performance issues considering it has to run on a base ps4.
Hopefully if they see good sales numbers on ps5 they'll add in official support in a patch, but I ain't gonna hold my breath.

Reactions: Isa
bleh, had 3 more crashes playing today, it's getting kinda ridiculous. Seems to always happen during a loading/transition screen, game just folds and drops you in the ps5 home screen. At least the autosaves and frequent quicksand prevents any real progress loss, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

I enjoy the game too much to wait for patches that may never come, but it would be great if you would fix your shit Owlcat!

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous is one of the best CRPGs I've ever played. It's so huge, and there are so many systems working in concert at any one time, it's truly incredible.

Having said that, I'm so fucking hyped for Baldur's Gate 3 I don't give two shits about Pathfinder right now.

the-simpsons-ahhhh.gif

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I wish BG3 would take a few more hints from Pathfinder, especially when it comes to UI.
WotR is honestly way ahead of BG3 in that aspect, most of all when it comes to rules & builds.

I love how you can plan a build in WotR perfectly, because it will show you what happens when you level up at which level exactly.
In BG3, you don't know anything that will happen on level-up for any class, you have to look all of it up online.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I think i'm gonna play the game after BG3.
Now my question is, is there something like a necro build?

You can definitely play as a Lich if you would like. Honestly it is the only redeeming thing about the game for me. I found the narrative to be very heavy handed with little in the way of interesting characters or plot development. Felt like a major step down from Kingmaker. Playing as a Lich at least let me have a little fun with its combat system.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I wish BG3 would take a few more hints from Pathfinder, especially when it comes to UI.

And the lore. Pathfinder has this amazing thing called lore where when it tells you about someone you can fucking click on it and read a small description, unlike BG3 who somehow expects everyone to know all the D&D lore and to make matters worse, whenver theres a chance for you to learn lore, it's behing a fucking DICE ROLL and you can fail, remaining baffled about what the fuck theyre talking about. Larian really needs to get better writters.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
And the lore. Pathfinder has this amazing thing called lore where when it tells you about someone you can fucking click on it and read a small description, unlike BG3 who somehow expects everyone to know all the D&D lore and to make matters worse, whenver theres a chance for you to learn lore, it's behing a fucking DICE ROLL and you can fail, remaining baffled about what the fuck theyre talking about. Larian really needs to get better writters.
I agree about the highlighting and it would be cool if there was some kind of in-game wiki with non-spoiler setting lore, but the other part is just how roleplaying works.
Player knowledge is not character knowledge.

You might know something (or can look it up).
Your character does not (and can not).
Therefore, your character can not and should not gain advantage from something they don't know.
I'd never allow a player on a table to have his character use knowledge they couldn't logically possess just because the player has it.

And from my playthrough, skill checks pertaining to lore are done only for very rare knowledge (ie you won't be rolling to know who Bhaal is, because everyone knows that, but you might be rolling about the meaning of some ancient symbols).

Still, skill rolls in many situations are a flaky concept to begin with.
I'd prefer hard skill locks (must have a skill of at least X to succeed) over rolls. When it comes to knowledge and skills, you either know something or you don't, you can either do something or you can't.
Rolling doesn't make much sense (and just invites savescumming anyway) unless there is a very strict time limit (such as in combat) and your character couldn't just try again or think about it some more.
But that's an issue with all of DnD and Pathfinder (and many other systems) - too many skill rolls, not enough skill locks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom