• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pathfinder : Wrath of the Righteous Reviews

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I played a Hunter in Kingmaker and found it was fine.
Honestly, I think you are expecting more of the class than what it was made to deliver.

And I can relate, I'd love a class that has such a strong pet that it becomes the main focus of the class and the character itself is more "side work" - e.g. some kind of animal trainer class.
Would be especially cool in combination with mounted combat.

But that's just not how Hunter works.

Perhaps I am expecting too much of it. I'll see how it progresses. LIke I said, perhaps I need some better companions that would work well with the pet as well like a bard or something.

The first was a great game, but parts of it (kingdom management) just straight up didn't work and could end your game early. Glad they got rid of it and early impressions seem to be this one is much less bug-addled. Looking forward to it

The "Kingmaker" part of Kingmaker was easily the worst part and I was glad to be able to automate the lion's share of it.
Hopefully the Crusade part of the new game is the same. I don't want to manage kingdoms and wars, I just want to play with my badass party of adventurers.

Fools idol

Banned
Bumping an old thread since there isn't an OT for this game on this board.

HOW CRIMINAL THAT IS!

I've just wrapped up my 2nd playthrough of this wonderful game, it's so under the radar that I'm shocked. It's probably the best cRPG I have played of all the Kickstarter backed relaeases yet.

DLC is coming out soon and so is an 'enhanced edition'.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

HOW CRIMINAL THAT IS!

I've just wrapped up my 2nd playthrough of this wonderful game, it's so under the radar that I'm shocked. It's probably the best cRPG I have played of all the Kickstarter backed relaeases yet.

Is it less of a technical disaster than Kingmaker? Are they still patching it?

Irobot82

HOW CRIMINAL THAT IS!

Does this one have a time limit on it's main quest?

Fools idol

Banned
Does this one have a time limit on it's main quest?

No mate.

In chapter 1, there is a 3 day time limit on a certain event which unlocks / locks some companions access, as well as a mythic path option, but as far as hard deadlines that must be met no..

It really is a fantastic improvement on Kingmaker. If you loved Kingmaker, this is so much better I can't even explain all the reasons. Just jump in!

Xeaker

Does this game has this slow overworld travel again?
Do you have to build your town? I did not like it at all.

Elitro

Been playing this game for a while now and i'm having a blast, will take forever to finish on core difficulty though lol

Fools idol

Banned
The Mythic path options are truly amazing. Building a Lich is super rewarding, you can basically become the night king lich necromancer and destroy everything in your path good and evil.

Been patiently waiting for the console release, can't wait to be The Swarm Who Walks.
Wish BG3 had ended up with Owlcat instead of Larian.

Irobot82

No mate.

In chapter 1, there is a 3 day time limit on a certain event which unlocks / locks some companions access, as well as a mythic path option, but as far as hard deadlines that must be met no..

It really is a fantastic improvement on Kingmaker. If you loved Kingmaker, this is so much better I can't even explain all the reasons. Just jump in!
Amazing. Now for whatever reason, the leveling system breaks my brain compared to D&D5e. Off the top of your head, do you know of a good resource for how to navigate leveling?

Fools idol

Banned
Amazing. Now for whatever reason, the leveling system breaks my brain compared to D&D5e. Off the top of your head, do you know of a good resource for how to navigate leveling?

Fextralife is the best source of build ideas and general level allocation information. It goes without saying this is an intensely deep game, with many viable build options, and multi classing, as well as late game mythic paths to ascend your character to Deity status.

Last edited:

Salz01

Not sure if it’s a dumb question but are you able to customize the hud? Like minimize it or turn it off?

Wrath of the Righteous enhanced edition and console release = out today! Note ; It's a free update for steam owners.

Go ahead and pick up this masterpiece of a cRPG you reprobates.

Burn 100 hours with me.
Day 1 patch on consoles already broke some things like hotbar during combat. They also reduced graphics compared to Kingmaker. Especially shadows. It's not great. Otherwise if u liked Kingmaker u will like this. I'm having a blast.

Wildebeest

Character creation in Pathfinder.

EUxzVtb.png

Next gen versions?
There are none. I talked to one of the guys in the official discord about missing graphical features that were present in the predecessor and was told that they first wanted to make sure the game runs stable on official release because its more taxing than Kingmaker but will eventually discuss additional enhancements for next gen machines. I wouldn't get my hopes up tho. But apart from that and the horrible shadows the game runs perfectly.

Last edited:
I'm happy to wait until a full next gen version is launched because the first game was freaking sweet. Running 6 variations of chars with a beast companion was like rpg jumanji.

I hope the load times are reduced though. Kingmaker load times on an 1x were abysmall

Irobot82

I'm in ACT 3 now. Just started it, it's gets a bit, overwhelming. Not exactly sure what I should be doing. Great game though.

My main I named Hog Rider from Clash of Clans.
Dwarf that mounts a hog, uses trip attacks. Fun character.
2 level mad dog barb
3 levels sacred huntsmaster
1 level vivesectionist
and the rest Gendarme cavalier.

Last edited:
I've waited sooooo fuckin long to play this and the thrice damned hurricane wiped out the internet down here.
Even if I'd been smart enough to preload I still couldn't authenticate through the server.
Oh well, I've waited like a year and a half, I can wait a few more days to start my journey towards The Swarm That Walks.

I just recently got this. Can't be bothered to play these correctly. They are one of the few types of games I'll slap on story/casual mode..... I like these types a lot, they are just too time consuming.

The first game had a lot of options to customize your difficulty setting. You could tailor it to be damn near impossible or a literal walk in the park, it was impressive. Automating the kingdom management was a godsend, I imagine I'll automate the crusade stuff as well in part 2.

gela94

HOW CRIMINAL THAT IS!

I'm confused isn't the enhanced edition already out since last year?

Does the enhanced edition include all the previously released DLC or so I still need to buy them? I haven't bought the game yet but seeing as Steam has a discount I was going to grab it but I don't want to buy the DLC if I didn't have to.

Does the enhanced edition include all the previously released DLC or so I still need to buy them? I haven't bought the game yet but seeing as Steam has a discount I was going to grab it but I don't want to buy the DLC if I didn't have to.
Three big DLC's u'd have to buy separately. Or the season pass.

RavageX

The first game had a lot of options to customize your difficulty setting. You could tailor it to be damn near impossible or a literal walk in the park, it was impressive. Automating the kingdom management was a godsend, I imagine I'll automate the crusade stuff as well in part 2.
Kingmaker? If so then you talked me into getting that too.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I believe it was out last year on PC and this week on consoles.

FYI, its on sale on Steam for $19.99. Just picked it up for the Steam Deck.

BTW, for anyone who has played it, how does it compare to Divinity Original Sin 2?

I much enjoyed Divinity Original Sin and its sequel, but I thought Pathfinder was better. I've looked high and low for a "Baldur's Gate" successor, and Pathfinder easily came the closest to those old vibes.

I much enjoyed Divinity Original Sin and its sequel, but I thought Pathfinder was better. I've looked high and low for a "Baldur's Gate" successor, and Pathfinder easily came the closest to those old vibes.
Is it hard to get into? I’m a newb other than the first divinity

Is it hard to get into? I’m a newb other than the first divinity

It is pretty deep, and Pathfinder 2 is even more so. You have WAY more variety with Pathfinder. Familiarity with DnD is a plus, as Pathfinder is based on a modified DnD ruleset.
There's a ton of great YouTube vids though, I highly recommend Mortismal Gaming, his channel is a great resource. Watch some vids on character creation, it's crazy deep.

It is pretty deep, and Pathfinder 2 is even more so. You have WAY more variety with Pathfinder. Familiarity with DnD is a plus, as Pathfinder is based on a modified DnD ruleset.
There's a ton of great YouTube vids though, I highly recommend Mortismal Gaming, his channel is a great resource. Watch some vids on character creation, it's crazy deep.
I went ahead and bought it. I still have not figured out the spells and abilities but I kinda like it so far. My weaker npc keeps running in all leeroy style so gotta do some reading to figure out what I’m doing wrong lol

This game is so fuckin good. Performance is kinda disappointing, no official ps5 support means you're stuck with crappy loading times. A few weird bugs, and I've had 2 crashes as well in about 20 hours of play. For a port that they've had over a year to work on, I expected better.
Technical problems aside, the game is phenomenal. I spent over two hours just fucking around in character creation, the amount of options is almost overwhelming. Party members are cool and (mostly) well written. Regill the gnomish Hellknight is a bad mofo.

Reactions: Isa

Irobot82

I went ahead and bought it. I still have not figured out the spells and abilities but I kinda like it so far. My weaker npc keeps running in all leeroy style so gotta do some reading to figure out what I’m doing wrong lol
Turning on turn based can help a lot for first time players getting their feet wet.

Top Bottom