• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pathfinder : Wrath of the Righteous Reviews

Vaelka

Shit, I started Kingmaker on core rules and was getting battered and bruised so I dialed some stuff back. I appreciate the vast amount of difficulty and gameplay tweaks they offer. You can cruise through on easy street or make it as masochistic as possible, it's up to you.
I'd say that the game suffers from being either too hard or too easy.
The difficulty is way too inconsistent, either you just one-shot the enemy or they one-shot you and you need to cheese them.

Don't get me wrong I loved the game but the combat was definitely a mixed bag and mostly was about abusing mechanics and overleveling/ gearing.

Last edited:

MetalRain

I'm surprised i can't do 4K 60 with my 2080ti. The game has poor performance.
Yes, this game doesn't look amazing, but doesn't run well.

For myself I'm not still convinced about the lore in this one, seem quite divided into heaven / hell archetypes based on 5 hours of play.

I would like to play as Chaotic Neutral, but not sure how I do it. Do I alternate between good and evil or are there more neutral options in the future?

Last edited:

Raphael

Yes, this game doesn't look amazing, but doesn't run well.

For myself I'm not still convinced about the lore in this one, seem quite divided into heaven / hell archetypes based on 5 hours of play.

I would like to play as Chaotic Neutral, but not sure how I do it. Do I alternate between good and evil or are there more neutral options in the future?
Damn, is it more demanding than kingmaker? I have an old i5 4460 and a 960 gtx. Hope i can run it in 30fps in ultrawide like kingmaker.

Sygma

last CRPG that did review really well was Wasteland 3 and honestly I couldn't get into it for some reason. This one however, very good so far

If you got issues with the performance in crowded towns, just disable reflections

Last edited:
Damn, is it more demanding than kingmaker? I have an old i5 4460 and a 960 gtx. Hope i can run it in 30fps in ultrawide like kingmaker.

1080p High settings on RTX 2060 Super/Ryzen 3600 and there are locations where I'm getting around 40 fps. The worst I've seen was 30 fps in the Market Square area with a lot of particle effects. Game is definitely prettier than Kingmaker, but that doesn't excuse such poor performance.

Otherwise, phenomenal game.

Nezzeroth

My PC could run Kingmaker flawlessly but it has some issues with Wrath (i5 9600K, RTX 2060, running at 1440p).

Disabling SSR made it run fine again and I could not tell the difference in the areas that I tried it. I also disabled bloom but that was more of an aesthetic choice.

I wish I could disable capes as well like you could in Kingmaker but I don't see that option in this one.

Last edited:

Sygma

yeah i got a 4790k + 2080ti and game was legit running at 25 fps in 1440p in the ruined city

Sygma

I should have expected shit performance when I saw the Unity logo.

The engine is very CPU heavy, mine is kinda old. Good game so far but I lost all interest on the story in about 10 hours.

Game doesn't really have something particular going for it and one thing I find really lacking is the lack of organic conversations with your companions. Also I don't know I think the characters are fairly bland ? like who the fuck even cares about the storyteller (the npc), seriously. Game itself is seriously good tho but I don't think its PoE 1's expansion level of good all things considered. Granted I just reached the whole army part, yet I still think that Obsidian have that shit down to a science when it comes down to set the mood and the context of the story. PoE and Tyranny did grip me from start to end,

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

To be fair it only ran like dogshit for me in that particular area, otherwise it runs decently

If I can get 4K 60fps while I was playing Baldur's Gate 3 then there is no excuse for this game. BG3 while being the same genre shits all over this game visually. BG3 is also only a Beta. This game has crappy performance and I'm positive its because they are using Unity.

Last edited:

If I can get 4K 60fps while I was playing Baldur's Gate 3 then there is no excuse for this game. BG3 while being the same genre shits all over this game visually. BG3 is also only a Beta. This game has crappy performance and I'm positive its because they are using Unity.

Isn't Unity known for being problematic when it comes to performance? It's likely something Owlcat are used to using and didn't want to move engines and take even longer to develop the game.

I'll still buy it, hopefully they improve performance and optimise over time.

Rickyiez

It's only in the Market Square and actually not that bad. This is the kind of game that I'm not really bothered by the FPS drops. After all it's Unity Engine can't expect too much from it

don't know, anecdotally, it runs butter smooth on 2080ti and ultrawide. Looks pretty damn good as well, love the environments and attention to detail.

Sygma

I mean sure, thing is Baldur's Gate 3 fucking sucks so I'm ok with one area with poor performance

• Triggered
Reactions: GHG
It doesn't. He's just butthurt it's not like the og. It's obviously more Divinity OS3 than BG but in the BG universe. Some haters want the game to be like Pillars of Eternity, aka classic and boring.
Well when you use the name "Baldur's Gate" people expect something resembling the classic CRPG.

But that's one of the things about getting old: everything you love will be destroyed.

Rickyiez

Now I know why this game is so good and vibes with me , Praise the Sun !

GhlcVNX.png

Last edited:

Sygma

ORLY? Why so?

Ive been on blackout so curious what is so wrong with it - feel free to share.

DnD ruleset its based on, combat is abysmal, dialogue / writing are bad, exploding barrels, turn by turn

Like from the introduction area to the end of the playable content in the EA, its just extremely lacking holistically speaking

But that's one of the things about getting old: everything you love will be destroyed.

Sure, I guess it explains why Pathfinder is the closest thing to Baldur's we've had in a very very long time, and its actually reviewing pretty decently

Got zero hope for the upcoming Dragon Age either but I'm open minded about being surprised

Well when you use the name "Baldur's Gate" people expect something resembling the classic CRPG.

Times change. It's been many years. Fucking move on. Nothing is getting destroyed. Not everything has to have the classic feel. Play Pathinder, or other crpgs's if you want.

Mercador

Yeah, but i think Journalists should be able to review all games, there are exclusive console games that are open world 100+ hours and they will release 80+ reviews days before, or some JRPG with 100+ hours as well, its weird that this game is getting 7 reviews so far and its after its release. 7 Reviews on metacritic! wow thats really low.
Do you know if any journalist from the popular gaming magazines/websites work on it? Looks like incompetence on their part tbh.
Unless it's really different those days, CRPGs like those had different saves that you could load to see different portions of the game. It was like that in BG2 and IWD, I did review those titles.

Spent probably around 2 hours in the character creator before settling for a Flamewarden Ranger. Going down the Lawful Neutral route with Asmodeus as my deity. May end up going down the evil route though.

Fools idol

Banned
Finished my first run and immediately started building a character for an Unfair run.

This game is fantastic - I honestly think this is equal to baldurs gate shadows of amn for me.. it's been 20 fucking years! Owlcat nailed it -- story, gameplay, depth, companions, atmosphere... it's just spot on.

The possibility for builds is just insane, I can easily see myself doing 500 hours in this beast.

Last edited:
Finished my first run and immediately started building a character for an Unfair run.

This game is fantastic - I honestly think this is equal to baldurs gate shadows of amn for me.. it's been 20 fucking years! Owlcat nailed it -- story, gameplay, depth, companions, atmosphere... it's just spot on.

The possibility for builds is just insane, I can easily see myself doing 500 hours in this beast.
How long did it take you to finish the main quest?

Lanrutcon

I wanted to start the game, spent like 40 minutes trying to get around Weapon Focus :( I read that weapon crafting didn't make it in? Where's my crafting mod!

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Just got this. Went into character creator. Might be done setting up my character in a year or two.
I'm honestly surprised it took me only 1.5 hours.
Half of that was downloading portrait packs online because the default portraits are a joke - they aren't bad, of course, but SO FEW.

Something about trying to go for a Winter Witch just resonated with me...

Last edited:
just shy of 40 hours. Core difficulty for my first mainline story focused run, I actively avoided doing much side questing.

Unless Core difficulty is very easy I dont see how u could've managed being so underleveled without any side content. I'm playing on Hard and some fights take me an hour of reloads over and over and maybe with some luck and some better position I win. Defending the tavern on Hard was a fucking Nightmare. I almost just gave up on the game there. And I'm doing and clearing the maps as much as I can. Dunno if xp rewards are lowered in difficulty or not but I almost cleared the entire market and enemies are still 4 levels above me and steamroll me.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Unless Core difficulty is very easy I dont see how u could've managed being so underleveled without any side content. I'm playing on Hard and some fights take me an hour of reloads over and over and maybe with some luck and some better position I win. Defending the tavern on Hard was a fucking Nightmare. I almost just gave up on the game there. And I'm doing and clearing the maps as much as I can. Dunno if xp rewards are lowered in difficulty or not but I almost cleared the entire market and enemies are still 4 levels above me and steamroll me.
Are you playing in turn-based or real-time?

The more difficult fights are much easier to manage in turn-based mode as only that really allows you to utilize all of your tools without missing chances to do so.
There are some exceptions, e.g. the optional Water Elemental boss in the "tutorial" is much easier to deal with in real-time (as it makes kiting easier).

Anyway... the tavern defense fight takes a rather long time in turn-based, but I managed to do it on my first attempt on Hard that way.

Last edited:
Are you playing in turn-based or real-time?

The more difficult fights are much easier to manage in turn-based mode as only that really allows you to utilize all of your tools without missing chances to do so.
There are some exceptions, e.g. the optional Water Elemental boss in the "tutorial" is much easier to deal with in real-time (as it makes kiting easier).

Anyway... the tavern defense fight takes a rather long time in turn-based, but I managed to do it on my first attempt on Hard that way.

Turn based takes too long. I can easily manage real time with pause but no matter what, it's a very rng game and some enemies on Hard, besides the fact that the game just throws more at you on that difficulty with absolute nothing taken into consideration aka tactics or logic(they just spawn inside eachother rofl, ridiculous), have annoying stats, and idiotic spells as extra. I had to fight some boss and I easily killed him but some random stupid monster somehow spawned with insane stats that not even my full full health party could kill. Theres no balance on Hard and even when luck with you, its still against you. Kinda wanna just lower it but I hate it when its easy. Sry, just venting about difficulty. I should've not rolled a Hunter tbh. The pet is fucking useless. CC is clearly the only thing good, grease just wins all my fights.

Fools idol

Banned

What does your party look like? I am using grenadier alchemist and a mix of bloodrager / barb companions which as a combination seems very strong.

I should probably have said that I put around 1,000 hours into pathfinder kingmaker, so am very experienced with the game / build mechanics, I would say a core run for less experienced players is more likely 60 hours.

I am playing RTWP as well just fyi. I stayed approx 2 levels below most enemies for the majority of the run, though it was getting more difficult later on, I did a few quests to grind up. Defending the tavern is definitely a challenge when it hits in the story as your party is kind of flakey. lol

What does your party look like? I am using grenadier alchemist and a mix of bloodrager / barb companions which as a combination seems very strong.

I should probably have said that I put around 1,000 hours into pathfinder kingmaker, so am very experienced with the game / build mechanics, I would say a core run for less experienced players is more likely 60 hours.

I am playing RTWP as well just fyi. I stayed approx 2 levels below most enemies for the majority of the run, though it was getting more difficult later on, I did a few quests to grind up. Defending the tavern is definitely a challenge when it hits in the story as your party is kind of flakey. lol

I didnt get any custom companions cuz its kinda expensive and I had to buy a lot of pots and scrolls. My char is a Hunter but kinda regret it. My dog just dies and thats it lol. Build him tanky? Does nothing. Dexterity? Misses all the times. I swear I have like a ton of huge buffs on my hunter which boost all my throws and I still miss a lot and I'm even using the Pathfinder weapon dude, which is a ghost weapon and a cold iron so there should be little resistance but nope. That fucking ranged monk companion does more damage with just one ability and has almsot the same stats. Either the Hunter skills are bugged or something aint working as intented. At least on Hard difficulty anyway.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Turn based takes too long. I can easily manage real time with pause
Clearly you don't, though :messenger_winking:

I play the entire game in turn-based and if you speed up the animations (can be done in options, and to some VERY quick degree as well) it's really not that slow. And I'm someone who ditches turn-based games if they don't have a speed up option.
Just sometimes I switch to real-time when a fight is VERY easy, but I found that (at least on Hard) that happens rarely.

It's after all how these systems were designed (Pathfinder), so it's no miracle that's how they work best. Turn-based is not just "automatically pressed pause", they are rather different systems with some things just being easier/harder to do in either.
It was no different in PoE - except those games were full of annoying easy trash fights slowing the game to a grind in turn-based mode.

The pet is fucking useless. CC is clearly the only thing good, grease just wins all my fights.
You have to stop trying to use the pet as a full tank or DPS character. They are an additional tool for the hunter, meant to take some heat off you and offer some more battlefield control, not a full fledged character on their own.
Hunter is a utility class. You'll never out-damage a Zen archer, never outcast a druid, never out-tank a paladin, etc. Hunters are jacks of many trades.

Maybe that's just not what you WANT to play, though. If you want a pure DPS machine-gun-bowslinger, I don't think you can beat Zen archer.

Last edited:
Clearly you don't, though :messenger_winking:

I play the entire game in turn-based and if you speed up the animations (can be done in options, and to some VERY quick degree as well) it's really not that slow. And I'm someone who ditches turn-based games if they don't have a speed up option.
Just sometimes I switch to real-time when a fight is VERY easy, but I found that (at least on Hard) that happens rarely.

It's after all how these systems were designed (Pathfinder), so it's no miracle that's how they work best. Turn-based is not just "automatically pressed pause", they are rather different systems with some things just being easier/harder to do in either.
It was no different in PoE - except those games were full of annoying easy trash fights slowing the game to a grind in turn-based mode.

You have to stop trying to use the pet as a full tank or DPS character. They are an additional tool for the hunter, meant to take some heat off you and offer some more battlefield control, not a full fledged character on their own.
Hunter is a utility class. You'll never out-damage a Zen archer, never outcast a druid, never out-tank a paladin, etc. Hunters are jacks of many trades.

Maybe that's just not what you WANT to play, though. If you want a pure DPS machine-gun-bowslinger, I don't think you can beat Zen archer.

I can manage in a sense that I dont need to have each actor go turn based. I already tried turn based serveral times, and I found it easier in real time. A lot of ppl told me about tbs making it easier but I dont feel like it is to me. I pause nonstop and issue orders to every companion so not that impactful to me. I doubt the pet is a tool or at least I doubt that was the intention behind it. YOur pet is clearly not a tool at all. You can give him skills like any other class, as well as increase his stats like perception stealth and all that. A tool is the cats or other creatures you can have around you that boosts your stats. The pet is a character of its own and should act like it. Hunter has many subclasses just like Monk and all the rest. I didnt pick a jack of all trades master of none type of Hunter. Stats wise, I'm no different than the zen archer monk. I doubt the name has any significance over combat. Its all about stats and skills and well luck of the dice. This aint my first Pathfinder game, nor my first crpg. I know how shit works, I wouldnt have picked hard from the start if I didnt. But yeah, since its all rng, theres not much I can do. Clearly AOE seems to have a better impact, especially on Hard, since they spawn more enemies at you. I'll wait and see what other companions I can get to synergyze with my pet and hunter better. I dont like the shaman very much, and the witch is eh but the spell rogue, is pretty good since he can stealth attack with spells.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Isn't Unity known for being problematic when it comes to performance? It's likely something Owlcat are used to using and didn't want to move engines and take even longer to develop the game.

I'll still buy it, hopefully they improve performance and optimise over time.

Don't get me wrong, its a good game and I'm very much enjoying it. I just wish developers would stop using Unity if even the experienced developers struggle to get good performance with it.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
YOur pet is clearly not a tool at all.
Yes, it is.
A strong and customizable tool, but still just a tool.

You are trying to force your pet into a role meant for full-fledged characters.

Of course your companion is not a fully fledged character. Imagine if it was: Hunter would be as strong as two characters in one. Doesn't sound right balancing-wise, does it?
Obviously, your pet should perform better than some random summon. But it should also perform worse than any actual party character.
If especially the former is not true, that sounds like a bug honestly.

Stats wise, I'm no different than the zen archer monk.
Zen archers get all those bonuses to attacks, though. Plus extra attacks, guaranteed hits, etc.
I don't have the combat feats of Hunters in my head right now, but I don't think they are as good. If they were, having additional spellcasting AND a capable pet would be seriously OP.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound right balancing-wise, does it?

Its the reason why I picked the hunter. Theres never a good balance in crpgs anyway. Most pets act as an extra character or at least they should and most of the tiems they have. It should here as well, thats why I consider it one. Hell the game even bugs sometimes and you cant add the pet in your group because its "full". Summons and the small pets are tools. You can;t compare those with your own pet, at all. Call it a better tool or whatever you want, either way, the pet should be a strong case for why you should pick a Hunter over Ranger. Else hes just, useless. Oh he can casts spells but then so can all the other mages, even better and they can also use bows and what not. Really, theres no reason other than having a pet, to pick the hunter. Its his shtick but it feels eh.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Really, theres no reason other than having a pet, to pick the hunter. Its his shtick but it feels eh.
I played a Hunter in Kingmaker and found it was fine.
Honestly, I think you are expecting more of the class than what it was made to deliver.

And I can relate, I'd love a class that has such a strong pet that it becomes the main focus of the class and the character itself is more "side work" - e.g. some kind of animal trainer class.
Would be especially cool in combination with mounted combat.

But that's just not how Hunter works.

Top Bottom