• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patty Jenkins‘ ‘Wonder Woman 3’ Not Moving Forward as DC Movies Hit Turning Point (Affleck out of Aquaman too)

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's odd. I didn't even realise she managed anyone other than The Rock.

She only manages Dwayne and Cavill. He was with United Agents in the UK up until 2016. They got him Superman, and kickstarted his career. Once he went with Garcia, all the bullshit really got going about his continued involvement as Superman in the DCEU. Garcia is the reason it was all so up in the air for so long. She thought riding on Dwayne's coattails off of Black Adam would cement Cavill moving forward, but that movie flopped, and Gunn and Safran are now in charge, and she and Dwayne are out in the cold. Hollywood is a tough business, but on this front, it's probably for the best. I kinda hope Cavill drops her. He seems very easily led around by the nose and needs someone a little more in his corner. She even fucked the Witcher contract, by not getting him developmental input. And then binned him off it before having anything concrete with WBD.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Man, Cavill needs to get back in the saddle. All he has done for YEARS is Witcher and that Sherlock Holmes/Enola stuff, he is losing out on his prime heartthrob years!

If he bailed on Witcher (understandable if it continues to nosedive) for Supes and passed (or was passed over) for Bond it will be the greatest film tragedy since Pete Townsend was replaced as Aragorn by that Viggo fella!

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Arent these movies making money hand over fist?
DC's box office is kind of mixed. Aquaman in 2018 was the last DCEU film to break $400 million in theaters (and it's also the only DCEU film to break a billion), but financial underperformance for WW84 and The Suicide Squad can also be attributed to COVID (neither film made back its production budget in theaters). The Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey were also R-rated, which limits the potential audience, but movies like Deadpool and Joker did gangbusters even with the R rating (or arguably, because of).

I'd also like to add that out of the ~400 movies I've seen so far this year, Black Adam was the worst.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I will never understand why James Gunn of all people got the job. Guardians 2 is one of the worst movies ive ever seen. His Suicide Squad is an assault on the senses. It flopped barely making $200 million while the David Ayer one at least made around $750 million.

Nothing makes sense anymore.

WW2 was kinda bad, but WW1 was great. WW2 is no different from other bad marvel movies that go on to be successful at the box office. Releasing it for free was a dumb mistake by idiot execs and they are blaming the director for it?

Lunarorbit

I can't be the only one who thought ares as the villian in the first film was lame as hell. I legit didn't know what was happening the first time I saw the movie.

He's so generic.

I fell asleep during Wonder Woman right around the part where the secretary character is introduced in London. I like Gal Gadot in the role but the story was boringly told and it's not like they even had to be creative the backstory since it's already written many times over.

Ben Affleck out as Batman is also great IMO. I don't get the fascination with him he's on the level of George Clooney batman from what I've seen of his performances. I don't blame him for the writing in the BvS or Justice League movies but he brought nothing to the table.

So far they seem like solid moves from the new DC bosses.

I will never understand why James Gunn of all people got the job. Guardians 2 is one of the worst movies ive ever seen. His Suicide Squad is an assault on the senses. It flopped barely making $200 million while the David Ayer one at least made around $750 million.

WW2 was kinda bad, but WW1 was great. WW2 is no different from other bad marvel movies that go on to be successful at the box office. Releasing it for free was a dumb mistake by idiot execs and they are blaming the director for it?

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was great as was Suicide Squad reboot.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Poor Patty. She loses out on the Star Wars fighter film (which ought to have been a SURE FIRE HIT if even barely competently written) and now this. WW84 really sunk her.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
David Ayer one at least made around $750 million.

To be fair, the hype around the first was insane, and Joker, no matter what, is an instant boner for everyone. When the second was announced the name Suicide Squad was practically ruined. It didnt help that the boss fight, tho hillarious, was a starfish. Humor is fine, we get it, but sometimes people want some good serious villain, like the Joker.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

You'd have to assume it was something along the lines of:

"Give it to me, I'll reboot the whole fucking thing, and bring you in profit based on a relaunch that doesn't cost you the earth".

Last edited:

Doom85

It didnt help that the boss fight, tho hillarious, was a starfish. Humor is fine, we get it, but sometimes people want some good serious villain, like the Joker.

Cnn Hello GIF

I’m sorry, are we pretending that said starfish wasn’t introduced showing one prisoner’s face being dissected in a scene that would fit right at home in Alien, then soon after ripping a dude in half and slamming him against the wall, and dying make you realize that it didn’t even want any of this death and destruction to begin with and it was some dumbass humans that kickstarted all of this because they couldn’t just leave a creature alone in peace?

All of the above was way, way, WAY more serious than Jared “I’m going to purr, and get off on another dude getting busy with Harley” Leto’s Joker, and the dancing “sensation” known as the Enchantress from the first film. Not to mention Starro is the original Justice League villain. If a talking raccoon with guns can be taken seriously in Marvel, an intelligent alien starfish violently murdering everybody because of greedy governments valuing weapon advancement over the sanctity of life should be a non-issue.

Yeah, how they killed him had some humor, but even then it tied into the theme of the film. As Ratcatcher 1 was trying to show people that we all have potential value, the Squad members were showing the world they have value despite their criminal history. It wasn’t just craziness for the sake of craziness.

But yeah, anyone disrespecting Starro:

ng0c62j.gif

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Cnn Hello GIF

I’m sorry, are we pretending that said starfish wasn’t introduced showing one prisoner’s face being dissected in a scene that would fit right at home in Alien, then soon after ripping a dude in half and slamming him against the wall, and dying make you realize that it didn’t even want any of this death and destruction to begin with and it was some dumbass humans that kickstarted all of this because they couldn’t just leave a creature alone in peace?

All of the above was way, way, WAY more serious than Jared “I’m going to purr, and get off on another dude getting busy with Harley” Leto’s Joker, and the dancing “sensation” known as the Enchantress from the first film. Not to mention Starro is the original Justice League villain. If a talking raccoon with guns can be taken seriously in Marvel, an intelligent alien starfish violently murdering everybody because of greedy governments valuing weapon advancement over the sanctity of life should be a non-issue.

Yeah, how they killed him had some humor, but even then it tied into the theme of the film. As Ratcatcher 1 was trying to show people that we all have potential value, the Squad members were showing the world they have value despite their criminal history. It wasn’t just craziness for the sake of craziness.

But yeah, anyone disrespecting Starro:

ng0c62j.gif

Im not defending Jareds Joker, I'm merely stating that most people dont want a starfish, no matter how ridiculous it is, as a villain. Simple as that. Like it all you want but Joker sells, a starfish does not. Facts.

Doom85

Im not defending Jareds Joker, I'm merely stating that most people dont want a starfish, no matter how ridiculous it is, as a villain. Simple as that. Like it all you want but Joker sells, a starfish does not. Facts.

So Godzilla films always flop? A kaiju can work just fine with an audience. Also, everybody knows The Suicide Squad came out at the worst possible time due to the new COVID variant hitting hardest that week, so most people were not risking going to theaters. Virtually every person I’ve seen react to the movie really enjoyed it. Facts.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Wouldn't it just be better to make standalone movies with favorite superheroes? No one needs another huge cinematic universe that's gonna a be pain to follow and catch up as a new viewer.

My opinion: I'm hoping for a loose acknowledgement that they all exist together, but no rush to make a Justice League type film for several years. Let it breathe and form more naturally than old WBDC did.

At the same time, keep making stand alone auteur films like Joker and The Batman.

I think there's room for both approaches.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

The new Deadline article says that Jenkins was given shot to submit another WW3 story proposal more in line with the new vision and seems to have turned that down. WB still wants more Wonder Woman but isn't sure if Gadot would return without Jenkins.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
So Godzilla films always flop? A kaiju can work just fine with an audience. Also, everybody knows The Suicide Squad came out at the worst possible time due to the new COVID variant hitting hardest that week, so most people were not risking going to theaters. Virtually every person I’ve seen react to the movie really enjoyed it. Facts.

Dont be ridiculous. Godzilla is an established character/monster. Covid had an impact but not as much as you ppl excuse that shitposting movie. I enjoyed it but it just did not have that grab.

Alcibiades

Wouldn't it just be better to make standalone movies with favorite superheroes? No one needs another huge cinematic universe that's gonna a be pain to follow and catch up as a new viewer.
I'd like for them to focus on individual stories that have small references and then they can all come together every few years but without the current Marvel situation where you need to follow every piece of media to fully enjoy.

Aquaman had 1 line that referenced Justice League happenings and The Suicide Squad was a direct sequel to the first one (despite feeling like reboot). Both were good movies that can be enjoyed on their own without needing to watch 20 movies to understand what's going on.

At this point it's hard to simply replicate Marvel success because it's going to be hard to convince general audiences to sign on to another 10+ years of having to follow every single little thing to lead up to a major event. Even Marvel fatigue is starting to set in. Better to have good standalone movies with slight connections that can be taken advantage of later on if need be.

Part of the problem is unfortunately Marvel is flooding the scene with too many movies in a year. Should be 1 or 2 per year. I don't think the market can sustain 3 Marvel + 3 DC movies all trying for billion dollar box office. Not to mention other studios trying to get in on the action like Sony. Even at Infinity War-level quality, at some point audiences will burn out or have to choose which 2-3 movies will be their priority out of a dozen super hero movies.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
WB still wants more Wonder Woman but isn't sure if Gadot would return without Jenkins.
Hopfully Gal isn't an idiot, because the second movie was awful and they are now doing Cleopatra, she needs to move on and be directed by other people.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Didn't know that, so if that's the case, why would Gal need her to continue on WW?
Solidarity? Friendship?

Bautista did it with GotG3 and Gunn. Not sure if Gal would do it for Patty. I guess it would depend on whether she needs the money and if she buys into the vision (that seems to change every 6 months?).

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Solidarity? Friendship?

Bautista did it with GotG3 and Gunn. Not sure if Gal would do it for Patty. I guess it would depend on whether she needs the money and if she buys into the vision (that seems to change every 6 months?).
Gal won't get an iconic role like this ever again. Business is business.

bitbydeath

Jenkins made a threequel pitch that reportedly “had character arc problems which rivalled that of Wonder Woman 1984” – the widely panned sequel to the acclaimed first outing.
Warner Bros. Motion Picture chiefs Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy had concerns about the treatment even before new DC chiefs Peter Safran, and James Gunn weighed in.
All reportedly provided notes, but Jenkins fought back and defended her vision. She was given the opportunity for another pass but opted to walk.

Azurro

Banned
The new psycho bot narrative being spread on Twitter is that she didn’t even direct the first movie. Zack Snyder “ghost directed” it.

Well, I wouldn't entertain that, but something definitely went different, since the first WW was a pretty decent movie and 1984 was a trainwreck. More proof is that the woman had a meltdown when apparently the third movie's script was also shit and was asked to change things.

Futaleufu

True, that ending of letting the mass murderer go because of feelings really ruined the rest for me.

This is exactly how I feel about Dr. Strange 2

To be fair, the hype around the first was insane, and Joker, no matter what, is an instant boner for everyone. When the second was announced the name Suicide Squad was practically ruined. It didnt help that the boss fight, tho hillarious, was a starfish. Humor is fine, we get it, but sometimes people want some good serious villain, like the Joker.

Peacemaker and Waller were the real villains of TSS. The starfish was a victim of the circunstances.

pramod

Banned

The second Suicide Squad is my favorite DCEU movie, by far, and probably in my Top 10 of Superhero films.

And Starro was actually one of the reasons I loved it. He's a classic villain from the Golden Age of DC, never dreamt one day I would see him on the big screen.
Only bad thing was he got taken out by a swarm of rats, while in the comics he was powerful enough to defeat the entire Justice League.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The new psycho bot narrative being spread on Twitter is that she didn’t even direct the first movie. Zack Snyder “ghost directed” it.
Not related but didn't kurt Russell essentially direct tombstone? Has that ever happened on a film since? Where the actor essentially takes over?

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Thank god. The DC universe deserves a full reboot. Please please please have Flash reset it all.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Not related but didn't kurt Russell essentially direct tombstone? Has that ever happened on a film since? Where the actor essentially takes over?
I think it's happened a fair amount with a particularly potent actor who is also producing. They hire a director to keep the show going while the actor focuses on their scenes.

Though I think far more movies are made or broken in the editing room later on that we give credit for, so whoever is involved at that stage is probably the real "director".

ManaByte

Gold Member
I think it's happened a fair amount with a particularly potent actor who is also producing. They hire a director to keep the show going while the actor focuses on their scenes.

Though I think far more movies are made or broken in the editing room later on that we give credit for, so whoever is involved at that stage is probably the real "director".

But the Snyder "ghost director of Wonder Woman" stuff is absolutely insane. He was prepping Justice League when WW was being filmed. The whole thing is based on a bunch of dumbasses who don't understand DGA rules for story credit. Because Snyder has a story credit on WW1 they think he "ghost directed" it. But the only reason he has a story credit is due to the photograph from Batman V Superman being used as part of the plot. Because that photo came from his movie, the DGA required him to get a story credit on the movie.

Laptop1991

Sums up alot of what is wrong with the current Film and TV industry, she act's like she is paying for the film and not the studio, so it's her way or the highway, regardless whether the consumer will like it or not.

Dural

Screw the connected universe.

Just make good standalone movies.

Look how fucking awesome JOKER is.

Also aren't people burnt out on the connected universe. MCU has nosedived. That should be a sign people are growing tired of the same shit. DC will need at least a decade to build up anything like The Avengers.

This is exactly what I want, more like the animated movies. You're able to try new things and have crazy stories when you don't have to worry about how it affects the "connected universe".

jason10mm

Gold Member
But the Snyder "ghost director of Wonder Woman" stuff is absolutely insane. He was prepping Justice League when WW was being filmed. The whole thing is based on a bunch of dumbasses who don't understand DGA rules for story credit. Because Snyder has a story credit on WW1 they think he "ghost directed" it. But the only reason he has a story credit is due to the photograph from Batman V Superman being used as part of the plot. Because that photo came from his movie, the DGA required him to get a story credit on the movie.
I think I read that he had a hand in designing the action scenes, but yeah, I don't think he was there each day calling "cut"!

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he wasn't fairly active in the pre-pro and editing though.

Mr Hyde

Where the actor essentially takes over?

Kevin Costner took over directing duties on Waterworld when he wasn't happy with how the movie was turning out. I think Costner actually fired the director himself. Was a lot of fuss about that in the media. And then Costner torpedoed the movie himself and it became an infamous box office bomb, lmao.

Top Bottom