• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC build, is it worth it for 1080p gaming going forward?

Rossco EZ

So i’m considering just moving to PC and getting rid of my consoles but want to know if this build will last this generation for 1080p gaming above 60fps with high settings?

List of parts (also provided pcpartpicker link below)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600x
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (DDR4 3200mhz)
SSD: Western Digital SN850X 2TB
GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3060ti 8GB or a ASUS TUF Gaming 3060ti…
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
PSU: Corsair SF600 600W 80+ Platinum.

Price £1129

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fbZ69r

how long will this build last me at 1080p gaming at high settings?

it gives me a warning about flashing the BIOS to support the CPU, is this something a first time builder is gonna mess up or is it easy?

anything you would change and why? bare in mind the build is roughly what i can afford as i need to buy a desk, monitor, chair etc so try to stick to same price range.

cheers :messenger_ok:

Last edited:
I honestly am not the expert, but if it were me the first thing I'd do is bump up to 32 Ram, but you can always do that later too. I'm also using a 1080ti and can't imagine you wouldn't be just fine with that setup at first glance.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Rossco EZ Rossco EZ , resolution is only part of the equation. With PC gaming you can pick your resolution, and then you can pick your quality. What I mean by that is that the 1080p resolution is only one factor, and the other factor is whether you want to max out your graphics quality with the 1080p resolution. For example, most games let you decide how poor or amazing the game's shadows are. It's tough to say what exactly you will get with your setup without reviewing individual games to see what the minimum specs should be for the resolution AND image quality that you're looking for.

Lasha

Not much tbh. The 3060TI is a banger for 1080P gaming. Doubly so if you are satisfied playing at high settings. I do not know the current state of motherboards but I would probably look for a cheaper one than an Aorus Elite. You're good otherwise.

Rossco EZ

I honestly am not the expert, but if it were me the first thing I'd do is bump up to 32 Ram, but you can always do that later too. I'm also using a 1080ti and can't imagine you wouldn't be just fine with that setup at first glance.
yeah i was thinking about going with 32gb of ram but i wasn’t sure if it was needed at all because i thought 16 was enough for gaming especially at 1080p and having more ram was better for people designing or rendering videos etc or do games on pc need 32 now?

Rossco EZ

Rossco EZ Rossco EZ , resolution is only part of the equation. With PC gaming you can pick your resolution, and then you can pick your quality. What I mean by that is that the 1080p resolution is only one factor, and the other factor is whether you want to max out your graphics quality with the 1080p resolution. For example, most games let you decide how poor or amazing the game's shadows are. It's tough to say what exactly you will get with your setup without reviewing individual games to see what the minimum specs should be for the resolution AND image quality that you're looking for.
ok thanks, as i said i would be happy with high presets (i think). i guess i will try to look at some reqs of games and get a baseline or something

Not much tbh. The 3060TI is a banger for 1080P gaming. Doubly so if you are satisfied playing at high settings. I do not know the current state of motherboards but I would probably look for a cheaper one than an Aorus Elite. You're good otherwise.
what other motherboard would you recommend? i ended up choosing this one as the case i chose has a USB-C port and some of the other boards didn’t support it or required an adapter or something

Crayon

Up to you. I play stuff at 1440p on average I guess you could say. But 1080 honestly looks fine to me even on a tv.

yeah i was thinking about going with 32gb of ram but i wasn’t sure if it was needed at all because i thought 16 was enough for gaming especially at 1080p and having more ram was better for people designing or rendering videos etc or do games on pc need 32 now?
I don't think it is - but seeing some games "recommend" 16 reminds me that 16 as requirement isn't that far and some games may require it, not sure. And since it's so cheap relative to other things, I went ahead and boosted to 32 when I made mine last year. My last PC I built almost ten years ago, that's the one thing I wished I had improved to start - my RAM. But yes, moreso for editing, video, etc, but it can't hurt. But you can definitely get on with 16 and buy 2x more 8s later or just replace with 2 16s I'm sure.

SScorpio

Depending on price, I'd drop to a 3.0 NVME and spend the savings I on going with 32GB of RAM. 3.0 vs 4.0 isn't very noticeable with gaming. The Diablo IV beta with it's memory leak was hitting around 54% usage of my 64GB.

Everything should be fine for 1080p gaming. But anything can change with future games. In four to five years if it's an issue new consoles could be out new baseline specs for games.

Reallink

Not real familiar with UK pricing, but this seems expensive for nearly 3 year old parts. Ryzen 7000's have bombed sales wise, so in the US they're fireselling bundles with a 7700X, 32GB DDR5 6000, and B670 mobo's for $499, or similar 7600X bundles for like $450. 2TB NVMe's are also as low as $80 (albeit at 3500/3000Gbps speeds, which is more than fine for budget builds). Do you guys not have any UK focused deal sites like the US's Slickdeals? I strongly suggest following deal sites rather than picking everything off part picker. If you're on a budget, buy parts over time as the best deals pop up, not all at once. There is unfortunately no "good" mainstream GPU, but at this point I think you're better off waiting for the 4060's/4070 or Radeon 7700/7800. Seems really stupid to pay launch MSRP's for 2.5 year old GPU's. I'd honestly prefer to have nothing at all rather than do that.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

At least I would say if you are laptop gamer, 1080p should be the standard, with how small the screen are. 1440p and 4K laptops are gimmick, don't fall for it.

As for desktop, you would want at least 27 inch monitor, 1440p would make a difference.

For people having higher budgets, I would recommend Ultrawide instead of standard 4K, 3440x1440 is much better than 3840x2160 and also cheaper

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
3060ti is more than enough for 1080p gaming. I'm using it on my 1440p setup and it works great, especially if you don't mind using dlss.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just remember your leaving behind a life of not screwing around for potentially a life with more flexibility but more headaches. As much as people swear pc is plug and play, it's not always. Plus no day and date ps5 new games......

Bojji

3060ti is more than enough for 1080p gaming. I'm using it on my 1440p setup and it works great, especially if you don't mind using dlss.

I have 3060ti and Vram limit in new games is showing. I'm talking about 4k with dlss/fsr (performance so 1080p internal) but more and more games will just dump itself into memory with little to no optimization.

Forget about RT in new games too (takes more memory)...

But there are no Nvidia alternatives with high amount of Vram right now.

Fredrik

I would never get rid of my consoles. But it’s definitely worth getting into PC gaming, if you have the money to handle upgrades.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
1080p is still the most used resolution my guy. Dont let gaf/anyone else tell you otherwise.

More than 60%!!! still use 1080p. Only 3 or 4 ppl around here game at 4k and will tell you to get the best gpu or that it aint worth it. 1440p is ideal with all DLSS games nowadays imo but youre good to go at 1080p if thats what you wish. Hell, most pro gamers still game at that resolution for many reasons. Make sure you get a 1080p monitor, nothing bigger than 24-25inch.

Banjo64

cumsessed
So i’m considering just moving to PC and getting rid of my consoles but want to know if this build will last this generation for 1080p gaming above 60fps with high settings?

Price £1129

it gives me a warning about flashing the BIOS to support the CPU, is this something a first time builder is gonna mess up or is it easy?

anything you would change and why? bare in mind the build is roughly what i can afford as i need to buy a desk, monitor, chair etc so try to stick to same price range.

Have you looked at pre builds? There’s some good deals in the UK now.

MSI MAG Forge - 11400F + 3070Ti - 16GB - 1TB Gaming system at £1034.98 at AWD-IT​

£1,034.98

MSI MAG Forge M100R ARGB Tempered Glass Case
Asus PRIME B560M-A Micro ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i5 11400F 6 Core, 12 Thread 4.4Ghz Turbo
Arctic Alpine 12 Compact
Kingston Fury Beast 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory Kit
ZOTAC TRINITY RTX 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6X Graphics Card
Gigabyte P750 750W Gold Rated Modular
Kingston NV2 1TB NVME M.2 GEN 3 SSD

Banjo64

cumsessed
There’s this one too;

Ryzen 5 - RTX 3070 - 16GB - 650W - Gaming System from £899.99 at AWD-IT​

£899.99

Air Mesh RGB Tempered Glass Case - Black <-> White version & MSI Case option on site.
Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX Motherboard <-> Gigabyte B550M WIFI +14.99
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 6 Core, 12 Thread, <-> AMD Ryzen 5 5600 +46.99
AMD Stealth Cooler
Zotac Twin Edge RTX 3070 8GB Graphics Card
Adata 16GB (2x8GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 Memory <-> Kingston 16GB 3600mhz +7.99
Corsair 650W Bronze Rated PSU <-> Gigabyte Gold 750W (V2)
PNY CS900 480GB SSD <-> Kingston 1TB NVME Gen3 +34.99

Starting price at £899.99
And then up to £1027.94 for the lines swapped into bold.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
There’s this one too;

Ryzen 5 - RTX 3070 - 16GB - 650W - Gaming System from £899.99 at AWD-IT​

£899.99

Air Mesh RGB Tempered Glass Case - Black <-> White version & MSI Case option on site.
Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX Motherboard <-> Gigabyte B550M WIFI +14.99
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 6 Core, 12 Thread, <-> AMD Ryzen 5 5600 +46.99
AMD Stealth Cooler
Zotac Twin Edge RTX 3070 8GB Graphics Card
Adata 16GB (2x8GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 Memory <-> Kingston 16GB 3600mhz +7.99
Corsair 650W Bronze Rated PSU <-> Gigabyte Gold 750W (V2)
PNY CS900 480GB SSD <-> Kingston 1TB NVME Gen3 +34.99

Starting price at £899.99
And then up to £1027.94 for the lines swapped into bold.

This would be a great build with the upgrades imo...I would try push to 32b though

El Muerto

A RX 6700xt will perform a little bit better and have more vram than the 3060ti. If you decide to go 1440p or 4k later, AMD has super resolution where you set your in game resolution lower than your desktop resolution and it will upscale the image what resolution your monitor is at. Works great.

Spyxos

Gold Member

Price £1129

It is almost 1 to 1 one of my Pcs. On 1080p actually no problems so far unless you want to play on ultra settings, as the 3060 ti already does not cooperate with some games (Forspoken, Hogwarts) .

I think it should still hold 2-3 years. After that, I think it will look worse. If i would buy it today I would get a rx 6700xt. If it's comparably priced in your country.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
1080 is crap but this pc is good for 1440p
John Candy No GIF by Laff

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Real talk: For the same amount of money as that 3060ti you can get an AMD 6750XT that outperforms not only the 3060ti, but even the 3070. I’m noticing as a 3070ti owner that AMD’s cards are aging better thanks to the larger amounts of VRAM. Hell, you might even be able to snag a used 6800XT for a little more.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2462-amd-radeon-6750xt/

Go for what’s bringing you the best performance for your money. That’s not always going to be Nvidia.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Real talk: For the same amount of money as that 3060ti you can get an AMD 6750XT that outperforms not only the 3060ti, but even the 3070. I’m noticing as a 3070ti owner that AMD’s cards are aging better thanks to the larger amounts of VRAM. Hell, you might even be able to snag a used 6800XT for a little more.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2462-amd-radeon-6750xt/

Go for what’s bringing you the best performance for your money. That’s not always going to be Nvidia.

VRAM isnt that important at 1080p like at all, instead, i'd go for a better cpu/more ram, as at that resolution, cpu bottlenecks are more obvious.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Not true. I have a 3060ti and I was Vram limited at 1080p in Forspoken and in Hogwarts Legacy.

At 1080p? unlikely. Forspoken is a broken tech. Hogwarts is also poorly optimized.

this guy is playing on the same gpu at 1440p and barely passes 7GB VRAM. Maybe you should look into your other PC parts bottlenecking you.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned

Price £1129

The specs you're targeting make no sense for a PC investment if you have a PS5 or a Series X...I'm confused.

Is there something else drawing you to PC gaming? Because if it's only 1080p and 60fps you seek then save yourself some money and buy a modern console or if you already have one don't waste $1k.

SHA

I get its a reasonable build but these stupidly detailed new games are scary and unpredictable.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If you have a sharp vision then yes upgrading over 1080p would be better. But I would rather buy a console, with all due respect.

Bojji

At 1080p? unlikely. Forspoken is a broken tech. Hogwarts is also poorly optimized.

this guy is playing on the same gpu at 1440p and barely passes 7GB VRAM. Maybe you should look into your other PC parts bottlenecking you.

Poorly optimized or not reality is that some games don't like 8gb of Vram and will show issues on cards with this amount. With time there will be more and more games like that.

Edit: this is for 1440p but soon even 1080p will suffer:

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
but soon even 1080p will suffer:

Nah. Hes not going to play on a medium ranged PC with raytracing and ultra max textures. Stop getting brainwashed by gaffers with 16VRAM cards and doomsaying youtubers saying its not enough. If that were true, literally 70% of PC gamers would not be able to play games properly.

Spyxos

Gold Member

Broken and poorly optimized yes, but it is already happening today, how bad will it be in 1-2 years? The guy is only running around for a few minutes in the video. My Vram was full when I played longer.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Broken and poorly optimized yes, but it is already happening today, how bad will it be in 1-2 years? The guy is only running around for a few minutes in the video. My Vram was full when I played longer.
As long as PS5 is around for the next 5 years, he'll be perfectly fine as long as he does not expect to max the games.

Price £1129

That's overpriced for what you get. You need a 12GB Graphics card minimum and Ryzen 7. The Compatibility issues is, you only need to update the CPU bios settings, it's optional. You can also get Windows 10 Pro or 11 Pro for about £3 from eBay.

Something like this...

w9GHA3D.png

Last edited:
You could get a 1440p monitor. That's overkill for 1080p.

1080p isn't difficult to run and you shouldn't build for it unless you're on a super low budget. Go for a 1440p 144hz monitor. Any 3000-4000 card and any recent CPU should handle that no problem.

SNG32

Tbh the only way I would consider 1080p gaming would be on a laptop. If your going desktop 1440p would be much better to aim for and get you more head room and like someone said is the sweet spot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom