• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC build, is it worth it for 1080p gaming going forward?

PaintTinJr

It would be fine, but to answer the "is it worth it?". Definitely no IMHO.

For that type of build price you should be getting higher class foundation components for Motherboard (chipset), higher end processor, high end power supply and case,, because at £1100-1200 spend, those are the key items you don't really want to replace for the next 7years. Two or three GPus in that time, a memory upgrade, a new faster nvme SSD, or a better cooler - although if you get the right case with 3-4 quality/silent big diameter fans, the cooler isn't such a big deal with the right fan profiles unless you are overclocking the CPU.

JRW

An RTX 3060 12GB is 10-35% slower than a 3060 Ti , the Ti variant has faster memory bandwidth & uses the same GPU die as a 3070.

Recent video with various games benchmarked with a 3060 & 3060 Ti:

But yes it's silly Nvidia released a 3060 with 12GB & the TI variant with only 8GB, but 8GB has been a non issue for me at 1080P and even when using DLDSR 1440P

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
VRAM isnt that important at 1080p like at all, instead, i'd go for a better cpu/more ram, as at that resolution, cpu bottlenecks are more obvious.

Point is the card performs much better for the same amount of money, if not less.

Everyone just wants to go Nvidia because of the brand, even when there’s much better options for the money.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not true. I have a 3060ti and I was Vram limited at 1080p in Forspoken and in Hogwarts Legacy.

Hogwarts especially is a VRAM hog. Already maximizes an $850 4070ti.

You figure a PS5 has 16GB, and a lot of games are going to be targeting that as cross gen ends.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Look, I'm not saying its wrong to keep a system like that if you already own it for 1080p gaming, put it to some use as some HTPC or something, but going forward the majority of new titles will be targeting Series X and PS5 and it makes no sense to build using 1080p as a target.

proandrad proandrad agreed 1000%

Rossco EZ

started ordering some parts for my pc build today, will probably post here again with photos if i get stuck during building it and need some advice.

been looking for a 27 inch 1440p 144hz monitor that isn’t curved and reviews seem a mixed bag on most i see. any of you guys use one and what model?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If you're sitting close to the monitor 1080p is fine.
It's even worse when you're sitting close to the monitor

1080P only works with a bunch of antialiasing tech or DLSS, in some games like wreckfest though 1080p can look like garbage with all the terrible awful jaggies, it's like playing at 480i these days. Even on a 4k monitor 1440p goes a long way to drastically improve the image

small_law

There's something to be said about to going into graphics settings, maxing everything out, and getting 240 FPS without a dropping frame. That's 1080p right now. Nothing wrong with it. You can be frugal and have a blast.

Problem is 1440p is kind of table stakes when it comes to monitors and components right now. You can pick up a 27" 1440p 144 HRz gaming-branded monitors for a couple hundred bucks, less if you shop around. It's close enough to 4K resolution without needing a high-end card to push 120+ FPS even at high settings. Best of both worlds.

So my concern about focusing only on 1080p would be the fact that it's going to get very old very quickly, especially in the next few years. 1440p is where you should aim. Low end display tech tends to get very old very fast.

Rossco EZ

There's something to be said about to going into graphics settings, maxing everything out, and getting 240 FPS without a dropping frame. That's 1080p right now. Nothing wrong with it. You can be frugal and have a blast.

Problem is 1440p is kind of table stakes when it comes to monitors and components right now. You can pick up a 27" 1440p 144 HRz gaming-branded monitors for a couple hundred bucks, less if you shop around. It's close enough to 4K resolution without needing a high-end card to push 120+ FPS even at high settings. Best of both worlds.

So my concern about focusing only on 1080p would be the fact that it's going to get very old very quickly, especially in the next few years. 1440p is where you should aim. Low end display tech tends to get very old very fast.
i went 1440p in the end

Top Bottom