• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC build question?

I'm just building a new office PC, so it isn't a gaming beast, and I just had a question.
The specs are as follows.

CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8 Core/16
Threads 3.8/4.6GHz AM4 CPU
GPU : AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT
RAM : 32gb DDR4
SSD : Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe
HDD : WD 5TB

Now I have just realised that the CPU is a APU? Has graphics abilities.
Will this work fine with the GPU or will I have to nominate which part the game is going to run off?

Sorry for the noob question. This is why I console.

Crayon

It will run one or the other. It's not going to conflict with anything. Just makes the CPU graphics redundant. Still a good CPU even if you aren't using the graphics part.

If your motherboard has enough outputs for the monitors you want, you might be able to skip that 6500 and just rely on the apu.

It will run one or the other. It's not going to conflict with anything. Just makes the CPU graphics redundant. Still a good CPU even if you aren't using the graphics part.

If your motherboard has enough outputs for the monitors you want, you might be able to skip that 6500 and just rely on the apu.
Thanks.
So if I loaded in a game, by default it would run the via the GPU and not the graphics part of the CPU?
I was kinda wondering how it would know which component it needed to run the game on and Wether I needed to tell it to use the GPU.

TheContact

Thanks.
So if I loaded in a game, by default it would run the via the GPU and not the graphics part of the CPU?
I was kinda wondering how it would know which component it needed to run the game on and Wether I needed to tell it to use the GPU.

I know with nvidia they have a “control panel” app which lets you specify which GPU is used and even if you want to do things like force AA and stuff. I’m sure AMD has their own version of this. Just poke around the software and you’ll find a setting that says which GPU specific apps use. In most cases it’s automatic and chooses the appropriate graphics processor for the task

Last edited:

Xyphie

You should get the RX 6600, it cost 50$ more but gives you twice the performance, it's a solid 1080p card
either that or just skip the gpu part entirely

This is the correct take.

Skip 5700G ( $186 ) and go for a 5600 ( $133 ) instead. Use the $50 you save to upgrade from a RX 6500 XT to a RX 6600.

This is the correct take.

Skip 5700G ( $186 ) and go for a 5600 ( $133 ) instead. Use the $50 you save to upgrade from a RX 6500 XT to a RX 6600.
I'd also question if the OP really needs 32GB of RAM. For gaming 32 achieves pratically nothing. If it's for actual work it might be necessary though, but "office" does not sound like a RAM hungry workstation to me, so a 16GB Kit could suffice. Also some saved dollars which could be used for something else.

Last edited:
I'd also question if the OP really needs 32GB of RAM. For gaming 32 achieves pratically nothing. If it's for actual work it might be necessary though, but "office" does not sound like a RAM hungry workstation to me, so a 16GB Kit could suffice. Also some saved dollars which could be used for something else.
I was up and down with the RAM but sometimes I edit 4k video files and my last PC had 16gig and would chug a little, so I thought it I up the RAM together with the SSD should help eliminate that.

A discreet GPU will always thump a APUs power. If you need more power to handle games despite saying it's a office machine you should go with something that can handle those workloads. No shared memory, better thermals by having both have their own dissipation. Can still get it in a SFF. Etc Etc.

GHG

Gold Member
I was up and down with the RAM but sometimes I edit 4k video files and my last PC had 16gig and would chug a little, so I thought it I up the RAM together with the SSD should help eliminate that.

What are you actually going to be doing with the PC? "Office" doesn't really tell us anything but as long as you aren't going to be doing any rendering work then you should be fine in ditching the GPU entirely and putting that money towards storage and RAM or just banking it entirely.

Ol'Scratch

Probably a better thread for this, but can't seem to find anything.
I am thinking of replacing my aged PC, and I am leaning toward a gaming laptop because I may be bouncing around a bit in 2023.
SO right now I am looking at a strong 3080 ti laptop with 32gb DDR5 and 12th gen I7 . (Will be using with monitor a large percentage of time) Should I bite or should I wait for 13th gen laptops with RTX 40 series in the spring

Last edited:
I don't do video editing, but 16GB seems a little low for a machine what does media work in general.

Top Bottom