• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PC Gamer] Biggest disappointments of not-E3: Starfield is just ugly No Man's Sky

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
That's one of the curses of an "exclusive" game. It happens on both sides.
of course it does and PS owners are being a bit two faced.

“Early on in this project when we were trying to establish the overall aesthetic of this game, we sort of coined the term ‘NASA-Punk’ to describe a sci-fi universe that’s a little more grounded and relatable,” Starfield’s lead artist Istvan Pely told Xbox Wire.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/starfield-developers-discuss-the-games-nasa-punk-aesthetic/
still doesn't make any sense. something like Cyberpunk makes sense because it's a mix of Cyber/tech/rich against lowlife/anarchy/punk. same goes for Steampunk.

so wtf is Nasapunk? it's not being "grounded", "relatable" or "realistic". I get Nasa=space but why "Punk"?

I can see the similarities between Starfield and No Mans Sky. Not even kidding, when the player character pulled out a mining tool I was convinced BethSoft took some inspiration from NMS. But hey, taking inspiration and being exactly the same but worse are two different things. I'd wait to play the game myself or read write-ups from people who've played the game before making such a hyperbolic statement.

At the same time, I don't believe the people really denying that NMS and SF share SOME similarities in gameplay from what we've seen so far

Topher

Gold Member
Ugly is definitely the clickbait word and i think PC Gamer knows it. I think they just don't like the nasa-punk style.

I don't mind visually dull worlds but hopefully there is some visual interesting worlds as well to explore.

PC Gamer's title was simply "The biggest disappointments of not-E3". OP put the "Starfield is just ugly no mans sky" in thread title which was from the article, obviously.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
i wonder how different the reception would be if it wasn't xbox exclusive :messenger_tears_of_joy: plenty of people enjoyed Skyrim/Fallout 4 but now fuck Bethesda apparently lol

i bet when this launches Bethesda will be hounded for bugs/performance issues. usually they get a pass but Starfield will be compared to Cyberpunk. mark my words.
Poor Xbox, game with bad showing gets bad reception because there’s a conspiracy against Xbox…

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

still doesn't make any sense. something like Cyberpunk makes sense because it's a mix of Cyber/tech/rich against lowlife/anarchy/punk. same goes for Steampunk.

so wtf is Nasapunk? it's not being "grounded", "relatable" or "realistic". I get Nasa=space but why "Punk"?

No idea. That's the phrase they coined, but really doesn't reflect the description. What they describe sounds more grungy than punk-ish.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
PC Gamer's title was simply "The biggest disappointments of not-E3". OP put the "Starfield is just ugly no mans sky" in thread title which was from the article, obviously.
and if you bothered to go to the PC gamer article they say "Starfield is just ugly No Man's Sky"

iu

iu

What mobile game is that ? :pie_roffles:

iu

Swift_Star

Banned
Look at this fanboy entering a thread about an exclusive Xbox game that he won't be able to play to complain about posters in this very thread. You can't make this s
The same way you constantly go to ps threads to troll ps games.
world of warcraft legion GIF

At least I’m not bashing the game but Bethesda for making a bad reveal. Stay on topic and Stop derailing the thread.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Well PCGamer sucks dick however I have to partially agree with them. We obviously dont know nor we wont until we play, how good the narrative and side-narratives are but based on what they've shown, it looks...okay at best, maybe dissapointing even considering how much they worked on it and how much hype there was for it. Say what you want about Sony games and their hardcore fans but man when Sony shows you a big game, it looks fucking incredible. Starfield has shown me brown/grey no-mans sky with under 30fps footage. I feel nothing towards it, even tho I'll play it day 1 most likely because I'm starving for rpg's and sci-fi.

Belthazar

reksveks

yeah, i think its a weird term but its the one that they are using. I think they are also trying to connote that some of the equipment will feel like its scraps put together, not sure what you would call that but ehh, seen plenty of weird terms in brand guidelines.

Swift_Star

Banned
Space game looks like another space game. Brilliant writing.
Mass effect and outer worlds are space games with very distinct artstyles so I don’t think your assertion is fair.
I really think Bethesda made a bad reveal, though, and the game probably is better than what they shown.

Gudji

Oh shit a Sony fanboy attacking one of his own! Not to call you the fanboy, Swift_Star Swift_Star is one of the biggest sony fanboys here. I guess you're just collateral damage.
The same way you constantly go to ps threads to troll ps games.
world of warcraft legion GIF

At least I’m not bashing the game but Bethesda for making a bad reveal. Stay on topic and Stop derailing the thread.

triple h fighting GIF by WWE

Ristifer

Mass effect and outer worlds are space games with very distinct artstyles so I don’t think your assertion is fair.
I really think Bethesda made a bad reveal, though, and the game probably is better than what they shown.
People said Starfield looks like Mass Effect too, though.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

i wonder how different the reception would be if it wasn't xbox exclusive :messenger_tears_of_joy: plenty of people enjoyed Skyrim/Fallout 4 but now fuck Bethesda apparently lol

i bet when this launches Bethesda will be hounded for bugs/performance issues. usually they get a pass but Starfield will be compared to Cyberpunk. mark my words.
Works both ways imo.
Seems people are overhyping and jerking to starfield because it's an Xbox exclusive.

After fallout 4 and 76 and jank that comes with their garbage engine people know what to expect from Bethesda, yet all of a sudden starfield is the second coming. I wonder why?

Starfield should be grateful of the comparison with how No Man's Sky is these days. I find it funny folk are getting triggered by it like its a bad thing

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Most of the reception comes from emotional fan boys. It is what it is. I can imagine it stings a bit, especially Sony fanboys. They've had a lot of time to grieve and adjust. Guess that didn't work out so much.
...but it wasn't a good showing....

That's the point some of you are dismissing. It reminds me of Halo Infinite's first game play showing.

Which was also a game ppl hyped up to hell n back...before any actual gameplay was shown...

PC Gamer.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Surely most of the backlash against NMS was FROM salty Sony fanboys given that it was an exclusive at launch? So why that's getting sucked in to platform war crap again is kinda dumb.

Also, it shouldn't be disregarded that NMS was done by a tiny team, so that it can come into the conversation with a super-expensive AAAA title like Starfield should make an inarguable statement about how far above their weight Sean Murray and his small team have been punching these past few years.

sircaw

Banned
Most of the reception comes from emotional fan boys. It is what it is. I can imagine it stings a bit, especially Sony fanboys. They've had a lot of time to grieve and adjust. Guess that didn't work out so much.
I think this is a really poor take, the presentation of the said reveal was pretty mediocre at best. There are some genuine concerns about the game and a lot of it is coming from even PC users.

There is a reason the game has been delayed.

This game is/has been hyped to the heavens by some people on this forum, if you're going to put said game on a pedestal, it needs to deliver.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I will be that guy but...

NMS has turned into a wonderful game after a rocky start so (for me) if they are roughly the same I will be happy

Plus I don't think Starfield was ugly as in my mind at least most of these other world would probably look like what Starfield envisioned and not the brightly colored palette that NMS uses

Just me though

Top Bottom