• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PC Gamer] Biggest disappointments of not-E3: Starfield is just ugly No Man's Sky

Kilau

Gold Member
We have more than a year of these articles to look forward to.

Frustrated Ryan Gosling GIF

I don’t know if Starfield is expensive to make but being made by 400 people doesn’t automatically make it expensive or cheap. You also have to account how long it took them to develop the game of which I don’t know the answer to.
I think it's been 7 years now, but for the first 3-4 years there was only a small team working it. Starfield isn't a particularly expensive game. Standard AAA basically.

sircaw

Banned
I will be that guy but...

NMS has turned into a wonderful game after a rocky start so (for me) if they are roughly the same I will be happy

Plus I don't think Starfield was ugly as in my mind at least most of these other world would probably look like what Starfield envisioned and not the brightly colored palette that NMS uses

Just me though
i agree, i also think starfield will be one of the best games ever but.....

It is going to take years and years to reach its full potential, it will be the pc modder community that will make this game great.

By the time the 10th year anniversary edition comes out, i would imagine this game will be absolutely pinnacle of space exploration/rpg games.

Until then, well "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Works both ways imo.
Seems people are overhyping and jerking to starfield because it's an Xbox exclusive.

After fallout 4 and 76 and jank that comes with their garbage engine people know what to expect from Bethesda, yet all of a sudden starfield is the second coming. I wonder why?
Reality check:
- Fallout 4 launched at 88 MC (84 on PS4);
- It shipped 12M copies in 24 hours and beat the concurrent players record of GTA5 with 470k concurrents;
- It sits on Steam at 88% positive recent reviews and 81% lifetime.

A big open world game is always going to have bugs, deal with it or play linear games.

76 is the only game with poor reception and as of now it’s actually quite good (on PC).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i wonder how different the reception would be if it wasn't xbox exclusive :messenger_tears_of_joy: plenty of people enjoyed Skyrim/Fallout 4 but now fuck Bethesda apparently lol

i bet when this launches Bethesda will be hounded for bugs/performance issues. usually they get a pass but Starfield will be compared to Cyberpunk. mark my words.
Yeah, PC GAMER of all places, where the game will also be on.

Kilau

Gold Member
People where hyping this up to be the second coming, game of the generation material. It may very well end up being those things, but from what alot of people saw can't blame them for being really dissapointed.
To me it's just a continuation of it, maybe not hype but certainly over exposure. I've had very realistic expectations for this game because Bethesda burned all of it's good will with me more than a decade ago.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
i agree, i also think starfield will be one of the best games ever but.....

It is going to take years and years to reach its full potential, it will be the pc modder community that will make this game great.

By the time the 10th year anniversary edition comes out, i would imagine this game will be absolutely pinnacle of space exploration/rpg games.

Until then, well "lollipop_disappointed:
Yeah I have little faith the game comes out polished and just fantastic to play right away because of who is making it

But I have hopes it has massive potential

sircaw

Banned
Reality check:
- Fallout 4 launched at 88 MC (84 on PS4);
- It shipped 12M copies in 24 hours and beat the concurrent players record of GTA5 with 470k concurrents;
- It sits on Steam at 88% positive recent reviews and 81% lifetime.

A big open world game is always going to have bugs, deal with it or play linear games.

76 is the only game with poor reception and as of now it’s actually quite good (on PC).
I played Fallout 4 on launch, the experience was not great.

I even finished a playthrough about 3 months ago, i love the fallout experience but 88%, there is no way that game deserves that.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I think this is a really poor take, the presentation of the said reveal was pretty mediocre at best. There are some genuine concerns about the game and a lot of it is coming from even PC users.

There is a reason the game has been delayed.

This game is/has been hyped to the heavens by some people on this forum, if you're going to put said game on a pedestal, it needs to deliver.
It delivered quite well, in my opinion. No doubt it'll be a game that defines Xbox for some time once its released. Some flaws? Sure. But the demo was incredible.

They didn't say they were delaying because they thought the game didnt look good. If that were the case, they wouldnt have shown the demo. They delayed because they dont want another Cyberpunk incident and won't take a chance of that happening with SF. Trying to frame the delay due to Bethesda thinking their game doesn't deliver is BS.

Topher

Gold Member
I still don't get the comparison to NMS other than the mining tool and the fact that they are both space games. I certainly do not think Starfield is uglier. Personally, I hate the color palette and the look of NPCs and creatures in NMS. Regardless, it is the RPG aspect that is going to differentiate Starfield from NMS. Oh.....and actual narratives involving a plethora of quest lines and NPC factions. Frankly, when this game releases I think we are going to wonder how in the world it was ever compared to NMS.

sircaw

Banned
It delivered quite well, in my opinion. No doubt it'll be a game that defines Xbox for some time once its released. Some flaws? Sure. But the demo was incredible.

They didn't say they were delaying because they thought the game didnt look good. If that were the case, they wouldnt have shown the demo. They delayed because they dont want another Cyberpunk incident and won't take a chance of that happening with SF. Trying to frame the delay due to Bethesda thinking their game doesn't deliver is BS.
The demo was "incredible".. Who are you Colteastwood/dealer gaming or something?

It was miles from incredible.

I gave it a 7 and it was lucky to get that,

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but jeez dude raise your expectations abit.

Gavon West

...but it wasn't a good showing....

That's the point some of you are dismissing. It reminds me of Halo Infinite's first game play showing.

Which was also a game ppl hyped up to hell n back...before any actual gameplay was shown...
But it was a good showing. Great showing! And it still has at least a year of polish to go. And Halo won numerous Game of the Year awards after years of being shitted on. If SF was at least multiplatform, the response would be much, much different. Thats my only point. It is what it is...

Kiraly

Swift_Star

Banned
Yeah I have little faith the game comes out polished and just fantastic to play right away because of who is making it

But I have hopes it has massive potential
Like I said, it was a bad showing, but the game might come out good and will be heavily modded which seems to be one of the biggest advantages of these games.
People surely love to mod Bethesda games.
They really need to make a new reveal and get it right this time.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Like I said, it was a bad showing, but the game might come out good and will be heavily modded which seems to be one of the biggest advantages of these games.
People surely love to mod Bethesda games.
They really need to make a new reveal and get it right this time.
Oh I can't wait to play this on PC with mods

Honestly this far out the showing didn't bother me on this scale of a game as to me it showed its potential

Gavon West

The demo was "incredible".. Who are you Colteastwood/dealer gaming or something?

It was miles from incredible.

I gave it a 7 and it was lucky to get that,

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but jeez dude raise your expectations abit.
Your opinion is simply that. Yours. I give zero fucks what you thought of it. No offense. It doesnt affect mine. Changes nothing. I dont have "expectations". Lol. Its a video game. A luxury. My standards are raised where it matters most.

That said, we can agree to disagree. But I think I can say with more confidence than you; when this game releases, there will be just as many haters playing the game as fans. Only difference will be, fans wont be the chameleons.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I played Fallout 4 on launch, the experience was not great.

I even finished a playthrough about 3 months ago, i love the fallout experience but 88%, there is no way that game deserves that.
PC or console? Matter of perspective of course but I find it way better than Fallout 3 for example. Even without mods and once you factor in the mods it’s almost underrated.

I was just pointing out the dishonesty of painting Bethesda as a jank studio when that really only applies to FO76 (a game which should simply have been delayed a year or so like Starfield is now).

sircaw

Banned
Oh I can't wait to play this on PC with mods

Honestly this far out the showing didn't bother me on this scale of a game as to me it showed its potential
i cant wait for some pc modder to make a thunder fighter as a ship.

Always loved Colonel Deering, probably too old for most users to remember on this thread. "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
PC or console? Matter of perspective of course but I find it way better than Fallout 3 for example. Even without mods and once you factor in the mods it’s almost underrated.

I was just pointing out the dishonesty of painting Bethesda as a jank studio when that really only applies to FO76 (a game which should simply have been delayed a year or so like Starfield is now).
ps4 i am afraid.

Top Bottom