• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PC Gamer] Biggest disappointments of not-E3: Starfield is just ugly No Man's Sky

Klayzer

I swear, every exclusive gets a few smear job articles written about it even before it gets released. I bet that article was written way before any footage was shown. No Mans Sky was going to be its comparison, no matter what the gameplay looked like.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Now I get it. Do as I say, not as I do. Ok Mom.
The hypocrisy.
Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Just looking at the Pot Meet Kettle users in the thread you'll see they don't have a sense of humor.
It's only in one direction.
one direction 1d GIF

Last edited:

boomcrab

The game is indeed not that great looking, but will probably play well. Too many people hyped it up for so long they're too sensitive for those kind of remarks. Will definitely get the clicks though lol

Laptop1991

PC gamer has been saying anything to get traffic for quite a while now, it's not like they have had any real big PC games only to talk about, they are not what they once were years ago, anything for clicks nowadays and i absolutely don't agree with them.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
Bethesda game with a space skin similar to their other games is exactly what people who are hyped for the game wanted.
And that's totally fine, my comment wasn't meant as a 'gatcha'.

After viewing their presentation, I was actually impressed on the visual improvements they made to their engine, in comparison to their last game, Fallout 76. For a Bethesda game, it actually looked somewhat modern.

They now have a year or more to work on making it an actual game, and capable of running at more playable framerate with fewer bugs, glitches, crashes, etc.

Zeroing

Banned
I swear, every exclusive gets a few smear job articles written about it even before it gets released. I bet that article was written way before any footage was shown. No Mans Sky was going to be its comparison, no matter what the gameplay looked like.
They said on the Xbox show "the most anticipated game" cannot remember the exact words, but they (MS) made it sound like it was the next GTA... of course the media will talk about the game.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I think the clips we've seen make obvious NMS parallels, but if you look at what's implemented in the game as a whole it's closer to Fallout 4 and fits the mould of their last few games. The only difference really is the setting. That's fine - RPG is what Bethesda does.

Beechos

My god what do people expect out of this game. What else did they think you'd be able to do? Explore, craft shoot and loot thats the blueprint for most modern games.

TexMex

i bet when this launches Bethesda will be hounded for bugs/performance issues. usually they get a pass but Starfield will be compared to Cyberpunk. mark my words.

The fuck are you talking about? They get shit for performance all the time. Always have. Since Fallout 3 on PS3.

Klayzer

They said on the Xbox show "the most anticipated game" cannot remember the exact words, but they (MS) made it sound like it was the next GTA... of course the media will talk about the game.
To be fair, its definitely a "highly anticipated" game. I don't blame MS for hyping up one of their own releases.

Elios83

The title is obviously click bait and that's the current state of gaming industry...everyone is a target.
But the Starfield reveal was honestly meh and that is why it's becoming an easy target for these "editorials"
The engine is still the same, not really next gen and it shows, the game looked like Fallout with a space wrapper, gunplay didn't feel smooth, certain things (procedural generation) have been inspired by NMS but there are limitations.

Sean Murray is just an ugly Todd Howard.
Excuse me... now either men are what I would consider "hot" or "handsome" but Sean Murray is definitely the better looking of the two. I think you were swayed by the leather jacket Todd Howard was wearing. Sean looks like a nerdy lumberjack, you can't go wrong with that.

Sean = Smash
Todd = Hard Pass

Excuse me... now either men are what I would consider "hot" or "handsome" but Sean Murray is definitely the better looking of the two. I think you were swayed by the leather jacket Todd Howard was wearing. Sean looks like a nerdy lumberjack, you can't go wrong with that.

Sean = Smash
Todd = Hard Pass
I dunno man. Todd's got confidence and charisma. Sean seems like he showers with his clothes on.

I was expecting a Bethesda RPG experience with a slightly more serious tone and larger play areas to explore...and that's exactly what this gameplay reveal delivered. I don't understand the criticisms by so many people about how the graphics don't look on-par with UE5 demos or that the game won't allow you to fly in/out of atmosphere manually. Those things have never been staples of a Bethesda RPG. Skyrim and Fallout 4 were definitely not lookers when they released yet they broke sales records left and right and won dozens of GOTY awards. I wonder what has changed between then and now to make public perception turn a whole 180. It can't be the Microsoft acquisition can it? Nah, it cant be...

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I was expecting a Bethesda RPG experience with a slightly more serious tone and larger play areas to explore...and that's exactly what this gameplay reveal delivered. I don't understand the criticisms by so many people about how the graphics don't look on-par with UE5 demos or that the game won't allow you to fly in/out of atmosphere manually. Those things have never been staples of a Bethesda RPG. Skyrim and Fallout 4 were definitely not lookers when they released yet they broke sales records left and right and won dozens of GOTY awards. I wonder what has changed between then and now to make public perception turn a whole 180. It can't be the Microsoft acquisition can it? Nah, it cant be...
Why would it be in this case? This is coming from PC GAMER.

I dunno man. Todd's got confidence and charisma. Sean seems like he showers with his clothes on.
Todd definitely has the confidence and charisma... of a liar who will cheat on you the first chance he has.

Sean, plays up the "I'm shy" card but you know he belongs to the streets.

I think we're at a stalemate... we might need a 3rd party to settle this LOL

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Todd definitely has the confidence and charisma... of a liar, who will cheat on you the first chance he has.

Sean, plays up the "I'm shy" card but you know he belongs to the streets.

I think we're at a stalemate... we might need a 3rd party to settle this LOL
Always go with the height litmus.

VCaH6ZH.jpg

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
What no mans sky always lacked was a compelling narrative to drive it forward. The story mode they added sucked and basically felt like a giant tutorial. All the toys they added with no reason to actually use them.
Do you really believe modern videogames are capable of ‘compelling narrative’?

C’mon, the storytelling is YA fiction fanfic material.

wolywood

I really don't get the "ugly" criticism. Does the game have a subdued color palette? Sure. But the lighting, environments, character models and animation all look sharp and are definitely a step up from, say, Fallout 4. I mean, if you're expecting a colossal super interactive open world Bethesda RPG to have Naughty Dog calibre graphical fidelity then I'd say your expectations were way out of whack to begin with.

Top Bottom