• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PC Gamer] Biggest disappointments of not-E3: Starfield is just ugly No Man's Sky

Swift_Star

Banned
mNQpMQk.gif

Why people act naive/hypocrite and innocent about this...Just let have a fun and giggles....like proper clowns
I find amusing to see the same exact people complaining about this. They don’t like the taste their own poison. 😂

Swift_Star

Banned
Be better
When you stop trolling ps threads, maybe, because all you do 24/7 is concern troll Sony. Today you spent the whole day tagging me like an obsessed groupie.
So maybe you should take a look at the mirror and stop making a fool of yourself and stop complaining about people doing exact the same thing you enter this forum to do. You don’t get to concern troll and cry when other do the same to your precious Microsoft.
Now, again, I respectfully ask you to stop tagging and replying to me because this shit is weird. Let it go.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
When you stop trolling ps threads, maybe, because all you do 24/7 is concern troll Sony. Today you spent the whole day tagging me like an obsessed groupie.
So maybe you should take a look at the mirror and stop making a fool of yourself and stop complaining about people doing exact the same thing you enter this forum to do. You don’t get to concern troll and cry when other do the same to your precious Microsoft.
Now, again, I respectfully ask you to stop tagging and replying to me because this shit is weird. Let it go.
Jay Z Reaction GIF by Complex

Thanks, dude. Really appreciate you posting this bullshit.

I'm at work and this pic appeared on my screen. Now everyone at my company thinks I'm gay. I'm honestly so fucking mad right now that I'm going to head home. These assless chaps I'm wearing aren't the most stylish, either...so that's another thing they're going to laugh at as I get up to leave. At least I can hide my Joe Higashi Yaoi coloring book in this suede messenger bag I got off of Etsy.

Swear to god, thoughtless people like you just make me want to drown myself in Zinfandel and blast Depeche Mode.

I am working from home and after seeing that picture I have turned gay. Thanks a lot Zeroing!

f22.gif

Ugly is too harsh.
Thoroughly unimpressive for a next gen only AAA production targeting 30fps? Absolutely.
Then again Bethesda never was a tech powerhouse and their engine is literally infamous at this point.

Please tell me you don't really know and they are not targeting 30 fps for Series X ...

Please ..?

Topher

Gold Member
The people complaining about its graphics...whats the benchmark graphically for a game this big? Almost all games with this level of scope have to sacrifice visuals for content. For the better at that.

Fine.....point to the ones saying this game should have "hyper realistic cinematics". I'm not seeing it.

Ugly is too harsh.
Thoroughly unimpressive for a next gen only AAA production targeting 30fps? Absolutely.
Then again Bethesda never was a tech powerhouse and their engine is literally infamous at this point.
Nah a single company...just one in the AAA space that pushes games with the scope and freedom of a bethesda game. Take an rpg powerhouse like bioware...they got it right 2.5 times and even then the games are a smaller scope than bethesda games in the 90s...they aren't beautiful games pushing the boundries of visuals, but when it comes to immersion and dynamic assets they are unmatched. I'm in bethesda defense force mode cause some of these takes are objectively wrong. Like you want TLOU2 visuals on a game thats probably 10x the scale? Come on my guy.

Fine.....point to the ones saying this game should have "hyper realistic cinematics". I'm not seeing it.

No ones saying have hyper realistic graphics, but again theres no other company doing what they do. So when someone can make a bethesda game with the same level of pure size and dynamic assets and pushing it graphically we can talk.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Yeah. Can't wait to experience huge questlines, city hubs and interesting characters in No Man's Sky...
...oh wait.

There are interesting characters in Elder Scrolls and Fallout? Serious question as I've never played the games. But in all the years of reading conversations about the games I've never seen anyone actually talk about specific characters in these games.

Topher

Gold Member
No ones saying have hyper realistic graphics, but again theres no other company doing what they do. So when someone can make a bethesda game with the same level of pure size and dynamic assets and pushing it graphically we can talk.

Then you are correcting your previous post:

"I think most people think that hyper realistic cinematic games are the standard for ALL genre and not just that very specific genre which isn't nearly as ambitious as their rpg counterparts"

Last edited:
Then you are correcting your previous post:

"I think most people think that hyper realistic cinematic games are the standard for ALL genre and not just that very specific genre which isn't nearly as ambitious as their rpg counterparts"
I hate this debate lord stuff lol. I'm being hyperbolic. People obviously expect more graphical fidelity from a genre thats never been big on graphical fidelity. Better?

Topher

Gold Member
I hate this debate lord stuff lol. I'm being hyperbolic. People obviously expect more graphical fidelity from a genre thats never been big on graphical fidelity. Better?

Which means you hate being corrected. Me too, but it happens a lot. Skip the hyperbole. No one expected Naughty Dog visuals here. In that, we agree.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It remains to be seen whether it will hold up to that in-engine cinematic they revealed the game with, and people paraded it as "this is how it will look, it's their next-gen engine completely redone."

I hope it does, personally.

Last edited:
Which means you hate being corrected. Me too, but it happens a lot. Skip the hyperbole. No one expected Naughty Dog visuals here. In that, we agree.
The nitpicking of the wording when the overall point remains the same. But some people expectations of massive rpgs graphically is far beyond reality. But I'll take a game that looks like DOSII over HFW if it has tthe scope/scale of DOS2.

Brian Jensen

Neo Member
The game looks nice, but the gun play and graphics don’t look next gen. It just looks like another Bethesda game with the same style and storytelling that they’ve been doing for the last 25 years. But it’s in space and has some hard sci-fi elements. I think it will have a broken launch and I’m glad I’ll be playing it through Game Pass and not paying 70 dollars for it.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
What grinds my gears is that the gaming industry continues to praise pretty looking on rails trash but when it comes to games that offer something deeper oh no don't play this it's ugly!

Fuck sakes man, how are we ever going to get over this lowest common denominator cinematic gameplay trash when games that do more are getting shit on.

This industry is a joke.

what-confused.gif

Topher

Gold Member
The nitpicking of the wording when the overall point remains the same. But some people expectations of massive rpgs graphically is far beyond reality. But I'll take a game that looks like DOSII over HFW if it has tthe scope/scale of DOS2.

The "wording" was the crux of your post. You can call it "nitpicking" if it makes you feel better, but frankly it is your point that I was directly addressing. Stop pretending I pulled "hyper realistic cinematic game" out of thin air. That is YOUR wording.

What grinds my gears is that the gaming industry continues to praise pretty looking on rails trash but when it comes to games that offer something deeper oh no don't play this it's ugly!

Fuck sakes man, how are we ever going to get over this lowest common denominator cinematic gameplay trash when games that do more are getting shit on.

This industry is a joke.

what-confused.gif
Thats why graphics will evolve but gameplay won't. Then everyone will complain about gaming being stagnant. Like if a game trys smth new but isn't pushing graphics ppl will complain. It's why sadly the rpg genre is lacking. The hardest games to make.

Swift_Star

Banned

This industry is a joke.

what-confused.gif
And then you lose the argument when you call what other people like trash. And let’s not forget they love to praise Nintendo games that are purely gameplay. Also, last year’s GOTY and most praised game was it takes two. An innovstive Game that’s more gameplsy than anything. So whinch is it? This doesn’t add up.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

This industry is a joke.

What "on rails trash" are you talking about?

killatopak

Gold Member
There are interesting characters in Elder Scrolls and Fallout? Serious question as I've never played the games. But in all the years of reading conversations about the games I've never seen anyone actually talk about specific characters in these games.
A lot.

FONV in particular has a wealth of interesting characters. Elder Scrolls is practically swimming in them. Just have to know where to look.

My particular favorites are Ulysses from Lonesome Road DLC in New Vegas and Dagoth Ur from Morrowind.

Last edited:

sol_bad

A lot.

FONV in particular has a wealth of interesting characters. Elder Scrolls is practically swimming in them. Just have to know where to look.

My particular favorites are Ulysses from Lonesome Road DLC in New Vegas and Dagoth Ur from Morrowind.

Nice, I'm sure one day I'll get around to playing them. Just the size of them scares me.

Topher

Gold Member
Probably using the wrong word, but I'm talking about simplistic cinematic games. It's a hell of a lot easier to make a game look pretty if not very ambitious on the gameplay front.

I doubt very much that cinematic games are easy to make. Gameplay is a question with every game, cinematic or not.

Sentenza

Either you understand the context of the conversation or STFU.
There's no context that changes the facts, and you aren't fooling anyone.
You are every-fucking-where across this forum bitching and crying and having a mild meltdown every fucking time you get the vague impression someone isn't reciting his prayers in the direction of Sony headquarters.

Let's face it. Your only redeeming quality is not being a complete subnormal as a few others in the same team.

It used to be that gameplay trumped visuals, but now it's all about visuals?
This game is inline with Bethesda's art style. They put their resources into making a huge world rather than a small pretty world.
I mean, anyone saying this is a bad thing are just trolling. And on top of that, the majority of those who keep bringing up any negative shit they can find on Starfield won't have to worry about it because the game won't be released on the platform they play on.
The game will be what it is. Posting negative shit won't change the game Bethesda release. It won't change the meta score it gets, it won't influence any reviews, all it will do is to try an make yourself feel better about the fact that it's an Xbox game.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It used to be that gameplay trumped visuals, but now it's all about visuals?
This game is inline with Bethesda's art style. They put their resources into making a huge world rather than a small pretty world.
I mean, anyone saying this is a bad thing are just trolling. And on top of that, the majority of those who keep bringing up any negative shit they can find on Starfield won't have to worry about it because the game won't be released on the platform they play on.
The game will be what it is. Posting negative shit won't change the game Bethesda release. It won't change the meta score it gets, it won't influence any reviews, all it will do is to try an make yourself feel better about the fact that it's an Xbox game.

I guess its like wishing GoW Ragnarok was a ps5 exclusive and not cross gen.

Would I of liked Starfield be better in some areas visually? Yes I would of. But its not all bad news, Bethesda have done a good job on the outfits, they show a lot of geometric detail with appropriate shaders for each material type, the same with the ship interiors. Man made environments with lit by un natural light also look good with colored light bounce and nice looking smoke and gas effects.

However frequent 3-10fps dips below 30fps is unacceptable on XSX or a similar powered PC, or even an XSS.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ugly is too harsh.
Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim were lookers when they came out.

Top Bottom