• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PC Gamer] Biggest disappointments of not-E3: Starfield is just ugly No Man's Sky

How about we first wait for the game to be released? Also knowing Bethesda's track record more things point out to NPCs being once again incredibly scripted and lifeless. Bethesda's strength is not going deep, but broad - they create a templated world sandbox for you to play with.
We can already see how lifeless they look based on what hey showed, really bad voice acting/dialog as well that certainly doesn't help at all (all within what you should reasonably expect from Bethesda).

Last edited:

Fredrik

I'm ok with that but like you said, it's not exactly evolved in any way compared to other games who have random ia generated planets, spacefighting and settlement building (at least before we get to play the damn game) , it's just a potpourri of other games ideas put together (and we don't know how well).

I have my reserve about the "shiny" parts aswell since except for the how varied the biomes are and some convincing textures here and there, production values don't look exactly otherwordly or never seen before, it's a good (sometimes great) looking game imo.

I know that the no man sky comparison is stupid as fuck because that one is not an action rpg but they kinda robbed starfield from the awe effect of some of their major features they showed in the trailer like having a lot of planets to explore or spacefighting, it's just not a new thing anymore (it was not new when NMS did it neither).

I want to see more of the game before talking about evolution.
Yeah I agree on most of that. I expected Mass Effect in first person view, 10 planets max, so that’s the main reason I’m quite blown away so far. And I love NMS so anything ripped from that game is a plus for me.

As for the new-ish stuff, base building wasn’t expected but you could build a mansion in Skyrim so that alone didn’t blow me away.

Building your own ship on the other hand, and get to actually fly it, to do dogfighting, and explore 1000 planets, those were the big things for me.

And I wasn’t sure they would have aliens either, they talked so much about how it was grounded in reality and the NASA interest etc that I was worried there would just be bases and humans everywhere. The Starship Troopers crab at the start of the demo was verrry nice to see. I hope they’ve gone crazy with the alien life, would be a shame to not have some Alien movies creature in the game, they should go as far as possible without getting sued. But I guess modders could find a way to add that into the game, would be awesome to find a whole planet with that, but I have no idea if it’s doable.

Last edited:

Chronicle

Not sure what people are expecting from Starfield. I mean I got exactly what I was expecting: fallout in space. It looks great. Needs a bit more gore. Who would want gritty Bethesda to go the neon no man's sky route? Pew pew pew. Fuck that.

kyussman

Although being interested after the announcement,having seen it I would rather have just had Fallout 5 next than this.I do have a bias for post apocalyptic enviroments though.....this looks a bit bland to me.

Sentenza

Had to look up who you are, and then I saw you're the one who blew up and had a meltdown about Steam a few weeks back (and seemingly anything PC related).

You and VFX Veteran would make a great double act - Dumb and Dumber.
"You had to look up" (and you did a fucking awful job at it, too) because you're a moron with the memory of a goldfish.
And I have no idea what "meltdown" are you even blabbing about, unless we are going to count as "meltdown" calling you out on saying genuinely idiotic stuff like "The Nvidia leak did not prove itself reliable and it's just lucky guesswork".

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
"You had to look up" (and you did a fucking awful job at it, too) because you're a moron with the memory of a goldfish.
And I have no idea what "meltdown" are you even blabbing about, unless we are going to count as "meltdown" calling you out on saying genuinely idiotic stuff like "The Nvidia leak did not prove itself reliable and it's just lucky guesswork".
on behalf of all fish, i think this needs correcting.

Despite what you might have learned from animated movies or catchphrases around the world, goldfish have a much longer memory span.

Goldfish can store and recall memories for days, weeks, and even years.

We’ve known this piece of information since the 1960s, but this is still a pretty common misconception pertaining to the memory of goldfish.

However, most people still believe that goldfish have a memory span of three seconds.

Let’s take a deeper look into a goldfish’s memory and intelligence and get rid of all misconceptions once and for all!

Yer, so shut your face you bigot/racist/speciesist. :messenger_heart:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Despite what you might have learned from animated movies or catchphrases around the world, goldfish have a much longer memory span.

We’ve known this piece of information since the 1960s, but this is still a pretty common misconception pertaining to the memory of goldfish.

However, most people still believe that goldfish have a memory span of three seconds.

Let’s take a deeper look into a goldfish’s memory and intelligence and get rid of all misconceptions once and for all!

Humans on the other hand...

Hezekiah

Banned
No I just dont remember non-entities who have a breakdown and start ranting at the slightest different opinion (not that I said the Nvidia leak was guesswork either so you must have the memory of a goldfish) with people on a forum 😁.

Then there's you. A fragile man-child.

yamaci17

No I just dont remember non-entities who have a breakdown and start ranting at the slightest different opinion (not that I said the Nvidia leak was guesswork either so you must have the memory of a goldfish) with people on a forum 😁.

Then there's you. A fragile man-child.
are u a PC that became self aware?

am I dr Octopus in secret?

who are we to judge who we are? do we have the ability to do so?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Exactly. I think gamers and PC gamer have lost their damn minds. No Mans Sky is barely even a game. This is a full blown RPG. This is fallout and skyrim in space. How hard is that to understand?

Also, ugly??

5JlaTVg.gif

IpEyFxe.gif

This is ugly to PC gamer?
It's hyperbole if I ever saw one, NMS is like unicorn puking all over screen, but I guess that's what kids love these days, despite game being deep as a puddle.

Fredrik

Yup, and few know that they get old and huge too. There is so much false information spread out so people should have a clean conscience when buying a popular fish that will outgrow and die young in a puny goldfish bowl with shitty water quality. 😕

fallingdove

The interactions you have with NPC's in their games are more dynamic than any of the other franchises you listed, the world is markedly more persistent, and their games are generally more open ended as well. Add space combat, building ships and what looks like the best gunplay in Bethesda history and you have what looks like a dream game.

If you can't tell the difference in depth between a game make by Bethesda and something as shallow as Cyberpunk there's no point in having this conversation.
Dynamic interactions with NPCs is the silver bullet point now? I would take the “less dynamic” but more focused, more relevant NPC interactions in Witcher 3 and Forbidden West any day of the week.

Space combat has been done before. Ship building has been done before. (And by the way, based on Fallout 4’s settlement building systems, I am not super confident in Bethesda’s ability to deliver something that “just works”.)

And then - best gunplay in a Bethesda game ever aka richest person in the trailer park? Again, this is great if you are into Bethesda games (BTW - I platinumed Fallout 4, and have logged hundreds of hours in Fallout 3, Skyrim and ESO so I am not as anti-Bethesda as you might think) but let’s not put lipstick on a pig just because Bethesda is now owned by Microsoft.

This is only surface level. Following the "golden highway" and veering off to find all the side stories and environmental "what happened here" storytelling bits is the meat of the Bethesda experience. NMS isn't any of that. The gameplay might be similar but for NMS that's pretty much all there is, in Starfield we know it'll be the means to experience a lot of (hopefully rewarding) stories.

Going through a narrative RPG while having the freedom to fly around and explore to discover new tales and characters on new worlds as I recruit people I meet to fly my ship and man my bases isn't like NMS, it's more like AssCreed Black Flag, and going further back, Skies of Arcadia and Suikoden.

GymWolf

From the vertical slice alone it’s scale is a game that doesn’t exist yet. Taking Skyrim and multiplying it while adding in better RPG elements…that’s a leap forward we haven’t seen yet. Agree?
Before saying that we need to know how big are the plenets, how much is handcrafted instead of ia generated and how good are the contents inside these planets, agree?

Ac valhalla was called out for the low level and copy paste content and immense bloat and the game was gigantic, and sorry if after f4\f76 i'm not ready to give complete trust to bethesda when it comes to quality content...

The idea is kinda ambitious (although once again, the game does nothing that doesn't exist in other games, it only puts everything together and we don't know how well) but i want to see more of it before screaming viva la revolution!

Last edited:

Novacain

What a shitty take. It's a Bethesda game in a new IP for the first time in decades - it will sell like crazy for 10+ years and become a beloved source for the next wave of hilarious glitches and memes.

But, they went for the lowest possible hanging fruit on this one.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Yes, who said they weren't? Everybody agrees that Skyrim and Fallout 4 sold well -- roughy 4.5 million units per platform. That's not record-breaking by any means but still very good.

But the above-mentioned 12 million units in 24 hours data is inflated and misleading, which is what I merely corrected.

Where do you come up with each game only sold "roughly 4.5 Million" ?

Fallout 4 has sold a total of 13.5 million and Skyrim has sold 30 million (which also makes it one of the best-selling games of all time)

Source

NMS says "Hello."
NMS doesnt have an indpet story/rpg elements that starfield will have. I know this is a troll but im going to give you a serious response.
Before saying that we need to know how big are the plenets, how much is handcrafted instead of ia generated and how good are the contents inside these planets, agree?

Ac valhalla was called out for the low level and copy paste content and immense bloat and the game was gigantic, and sorry if after f4\f76 i'm not ready to give complete trust to bethesda when it comes to quality content...

The idea is kinda ambitious (although once again, the game does nothing that doesn't exist in other games, it only puts everything together and we don't know how well) but i want to see more of it before screaming viva la revolution!
Thats the definition of evolution. Evolution isn't a major change to what has been done. It's usual gradual. Revolution is something that is extremely new. Evolution is a leap forward on a pre-established concept.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

[/URL]

How long will your memory be when I turn you into cat food and feed you to my cat, tuna-breath?

S0ULZB0URNE

That said, we can agree to disagree. But I think I can say with more confidence than you; when this game releases, there will be just as many haters playing the game as fans. Only difference will be, fans wont be the chameleons.

Nahh Bethesda games are usually played by Bethesda fans.
So if any haters are playing... it will be fans of them.

From the vertical slice alone it’s scale is a game that doesn’t exist yet. Taking Skyrim and multiplying it while adding in better RPG elements…that’s a leap forward we haven’t seen yet. Agree?
Classic answer you get with Bethesda games, you ask what is good about it and the answer is that it's big... I'll never understand it.

The gameplay shown didn't stand out at all by itself.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Why did ancient Egypt die out?

Then, around 2200 B.C., ancient texts suggest that Egypt’s so-called Old Kingdom gave way to a disastrous era of foreign invasions, pestilence, civil war, and famines severe enough to result in cannibalism. In the past decade, climate data revealed that a severe and long-term drought afflicted the region during this same time, providing evidence of an environmental trigger that led to what has long been considered a dark age of Egyptian history.

Recent update
Many Historians believe that the introduction of the cat, (fleabagga el-stinky-piss-everywhere-us) may have been responsible for the destruction of this civilization.

Other Famous cat lovers

Adolf Hitler
Mussolini
Genghis Khan
Putin
Idi Amin
Justin Beaver
Mod of War Mod of War

As you can see the list is very representative of what cat lovers are like.

The fact is, the only good pets are

FISH AND DOGS :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Oscars are so awesome! Fearless even as juvies 😁 It’s the fish that got me interested in aquariums, used to have two that would jump up like 20cm and take food from the hand.
i had two as well, bronze ones, i had a 240-liter tank with them in it, one used to take food from my hand and let me stroke its side, and the other, well, I could not get close to it. Their personalities are like people, each has its own.

They are the most magnificent of creatures.

Last edited:

Samrf89

this bullshit around Starfield is actually making me believe in the Dead Internet Theory. Mother of god, a lot of you are retarded. how in the fucking shit is this similar to no man's sky? at all? why in the ever loving fuck are people so obsessed with VISUALS from a fucking BETHESDA GAME? i feel like i'm taking crazy pills.

there's no fucking way any of you bitching have ever played a Bethesda game. there's just no way.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
this bullshit around Starfield is actually making me believe in the Dead Internet Theory. Mother of god, a lot of you are retarded. how in the fucking shit is this similar to no man's sky? at all? why in the ever loving fuck are people so obsessed with VISUALS from a fucking BETHESDA GAME? i feel like i'm taking crazy pills.

there's no fucking way any of you bitching have ever played a Bethesda game. there's just no way.
calm down al pacino GIF

laynelane

Why did ancient Egypt die out?

Then, around 2200 B.C., ancient texts suggest that Egypt’s so-called Old Kingdom gave way to a disastrous era of foreign invasions, pestilence, civil war, and famines severe enough to result in cannibalism. In the past decade, climate data revealed that a severe and long-term drought afflicted the region during this same time, providing evidence of an environmental trigger that led to what has long been considered a dark age of Egyptian history.

Recent update
Many Historians believe that the introduction of the cat, (fleabagga el-stinky-piss-everywhere-us) may have been responsible for the destruction of this civilization.

Other Famous cat lovers

Adolf Hitler
Mussolini
Genghis Khan
Putin
Idi Amin
Justin Beaver
Mod of War Mod of War

As you can see the list is very representative of what cat lovers are like.

The fact is, the only good pets are

FISH AND DOGS :messenger_grinning:

[/URL]

I think you may be a bit biased on this one Sircaw since you are, in fact, a fish.

Fredrik

i had two as well, bronze ones, i had a 240-liter tank with them in it, one used to take food from my hand and let me stroke its side, and the other, well, I could not get close to it. Their personalities are like people, each has its own.

They are the most magnificent creatures.
Yeah I love them, one of my absolute favorite cichlids. I heard a story of someone selling an Oscar and awhile later the new owner called up the former owner and said the fish must be sick cause he would just sulk in a corner looking all sad and didn’t eat. The former owner said - okay I’ll come look at him. Directly when the former owner came there the fish swam up to the front glass looking all happy to greet his old pal. 🥰

ruzuyu

Neo Member
Well not sure what everyone's expecting from a Bethesda game but I am definitely expecting a game with lots of bugs just like the previous titles. And unless there are game-breaking bugs, I am aiming to sink 1000 hours in this game. Buut I must admit, I lowered my expectations after I saw the in-game showcase.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Yeah I love them, one of my absolute favorite cichlids. I heard a story of someone selling an Oscar and awhile later the new owner called up the former owner and said the fish must be sick cause he would just sulk in a corner looking all sad and didn’t eat. The former owner said - okay I’ll come look at him. Directly when the former owner came there the fish swam up to the front glass looking all happy to greet his old pal. 🥰
the crazy thing is i 100% can see that being true. 👍

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Dynamic interactions with NPCs is the silver bullet point now? I would take the “less dynamic” but more focused, more relevant NPC interactions in Witcher 3 and Forbidden West any day of the week.

Space combat has been done before. Ship building has been done before. (And by the way, based on Fallout 4’s settlement building systems, I am not super confident in Bethesda’s ability to deliver something that “just works”.)

And then - best gunplay in a Bethesda game ever aka richest person in the trailer park? Again, this is great if you are into Bethesda games (BTW - I platinumed Fallout 4, and have logged hundreds of hours in Fallout 3, Skyrim and ESO so I am not as anti-Bethesda as you might think) but let’s not put lipstick on a pig just because Bethesda is now owned by Microsoft.
LMAO how exactly are the NPC interactions in Forbidden West more "relevant and focused" than a Bethesda game, and then you go on to talk about the combat after praising the The Witcher 3. Yikes.

Has nothing to do with MS buying them btw, and yes NPC interactions and world persistence are unbelievably important in an immersive open world rpg, much more important than they are given credit for by the casual gaming crowd who don't know any better.

Where do you come up with each game only sold "roughly 4.5 Million" ?

Fallout 4 has sold a total of 13.5 million and Skyrim has sold 30 million (which also makes it one of the best-selling games of all time)

Source
I think that the key words in his affermation was ' per platform'.
F4 sold 13.5 millions between PS4, XBO and pc. 13,5/3 = 4.5. Skyrim sold on PS3, PS4, XB360, XBO, Switch, PC (maybe VR? I don't know if that count) so around 5 millions per platform.
I'm not saying that this calculation has necessarily any relevance , but I think this was the meaning

Top Bottom