• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PC Gamer] Why 2021 was the worst year for PC gaming

It all depends on the type of gamer you are. The average gamer doesn't need to constantly push the tech envelope to enjoy this hobby. I'd say the majority are able to fully enjoy 99% of all releases on older hardware.

ACESHIGH

Banned
PC gaming is better than ever other than the GPU situation. Quite the clickbaity article from these dumbasses.... My 2012 PC with an RX580 upgrade plays 95% of games out there and at great settings at 1080p. We are getting Sony PC ports, System Shock remake, MS games day one. Breath of the Wild 2 is going to be 4K 60 on PC day one. PS3 - 360 and OG xbox emulation are progressing on a weekly basis.- PC gamepass, free games in a weekly basis. I have more than 1000 games in my backlog and never felt i really spend too much in a game on the last 10 years.

I'm assuming the author of this article was not a PC gamer in the 90s when PCs costed and arm and a leg, games were a PiTA to run, peripheral support was terrible, lots of missing games from consoles, non existant japanese support and HW that was relevant for a year or 2 tops.

If I were to complain about something other than the GPU situation, its the quality of some PC AAA releases. If they aren't up to snuff on day one, just delay them.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I've pretty much gone back to consoles at the moment.

I have a 2080 and Forza Horizon 5 comes out. On Series X it nears 4K at 60fps,but uses dynamic resolution to achieve it. On PC there is no dynamic resolution option so I will have to either use a lower resolution or lower my graphic settings. Overall the game is pretty much better on Xbox than "my" PC.

The crazy thing is I'd have bought a 3080, but there aren't any to buy. It's not just Forza either, a lot of these games are using smart shortcuts to hit 60fps on consoles, but the same options aren't available on PC.

It's a shame that games have released with issues too. Resident Evil 8 and Deathloop had stutter at launch. Nier Replicant is another shit port. My PC was just such a step ahead of last gen consoles, but there's little to no reason to play a load of new titles on it lately.

Guardians of the Galaxy at 60fps 1440p DLSS with RT is nice, though.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Overly negative article that obviously was builded around GPU prices. Meanwhile in the reality PC gaming has been absolute fantastic and actually better then ever.

- Lots of cheap hardware to buy from cpu's to memory, to ssd's to monitors etc etc. Only GPU's are the issue's and that's about it will go back on that a bit later Not really. Everything is more expensive than before and harder to find. Even cases. The 1 true thing - ssds were more expensive few years back. But You would expect ssd to get much cheaper... which it is still kinda failing to do compared to old hdd. PC building is more expensive than ever even outside of gpu stuff.
- NIS introduced and FSR which pushes older generation cards to a next dimension when it comes to performance FSR? The amd scaling? It's just scaling... like lanczos or bicubing. It's nothing. Its literaly absolutely nothing interesting
- DLSS improvements for people that have more modern gpu's. DLSS is still what it is. Best AA solution got even better with less trailing
- All switch games are playable on even potato pc's which means entire library of Nintendo is now playable on PC. eh... more or less broken funky ports. Never was a huge emulation guy and The Darkness is still fucked up in rpcs3 or xenia :(
- Sony games are coming and already hitting PC and run on potato systems perfectly fine Ports of older games. Good to have sure. no problems with it. Horizon is not the best port. Days gone is ok, Death Stranding port is great
- All microsoft are playable on PC some even free on and on steam Sure. no cons here. More of service stuff which I am not a fan but it's like 1$ halo, so why not
- Gamepass for PC, twitch prime, origin+ all gave excellent value for there game library's which again makes stuff practically free. Buy subscriptions ,own nothing. Not even access to game files with gamepass. But it's cheap
- Lots of free games ( already got like 100 games for free this year ) honestly gaming on PC was never this cheap. And that all thanks to the sharp focus on the PC market that creates competition. Games are cheap, cdkeys is great. Sure. used ps4 games are almost free too really
- 1060 and pascal in general hold up perfectly fine in all titles still to this day, even while the 1060 is a 980 with more or less v-ram, its at this point a 8 year old card performance wise still runs everything is just proof how good and cheap PC gaming really is if it wasn't for the gpu prices. Something this guy heavily overlooks. 1060 holds up but it's barely 1080p card nowadays... it's not that good... Even the cheapest consoles play games better and 1060 is sadly more expensive now
- PC gaming market is growing with asia joining, but growth in general size wise. Let's hope it's not like tiktok, so a tsunami of crap
- indie market is doing good work to the point they almost make AAA company's seem amateurish. valheim, that award winning card game + hades type of games. Some amazing indies like Forgotten City. May other indie games about depression. Don't understand games like valheim but each to his own
- streaming has never been as easy to get into. Kill me. I played OnLive like in 2008 in school on a netbook. I can see it's use and it's a great entry to gaming for people... but it will kill the industry
- New technology introduction, big / small cores + 5.0 pci-e, ddr5, fsr, nis. Crap, crap, crap. Nothing to new. Normal stuff. progress feels slower than before. Almost feels like artificial progress. Nothing still even uses pcie 3.0 or 4.0 drives speed. No direct IO.
- The only downside i can think off its the relative lackbusting AAA game developer we see lately, but consoles also get hit with this as they share the same games on that front. Battlefield / Age of empire 4 stuff that simple aren't up to standards to the point lots of people got dissapointed by it. Agreed
- Mining while looked on negatively here, actually makes u money while not doing anything. Rich gets richer. Or you can make 200 bucks a month but running your gpu 100%, high electricity usage. It's kinda a nihtmare

In General i would say 2021 was a really good year for PC. and 2022 and 2023 also both look extremely good for PC with new tech, new hardware and new games coming from all directions.

About the GPU part.

GPU prices are expensive, so is everything else these days. While people want a 3080, u can settle for less and be fine with it also. While 1k sounds a lot for a GPU, u can also make a lot with GPU's through mining which will offset the cost eventually. Yes more effort, but it is what it is. 3080 is not 1k. 2070 is that price here...

Personally for the higher end segment or even mid end segment gpu prices haven't been much of a problem. Its the low end that get shit by it the most. So i agree with him on that.

I sold my 1080ti for 500 euro's 5 months ago, bought a 3080 for 1090 ( a bit cheaper then scalper price like 100 cheaper or something ) and with having it bought through my company i get tax back. so its basically 361 euro final cost for me. probably mined like 100 euro's back on top of it whenever i feel like mining. So in short not really much of a problem really.
My comments in red. Sorry if I came up as an aggressive asshole :p It came out like that without intent.
btw - I can see ps5's freerly available in media markt etc in the last few days here. Of course in controller+game bundles but .. good deals to be honest. So maybe it is getting better

Edgelord79

Gold Member
The end is obviously nigh because graphics cards are expensive and hard to get. PC gaming is doomed and is an "afterthought".

- This is why Sony is releasing PC ports now and it's probably a good guess that the time frame between console releases and their PC equivalent will start getting shorter over time.

- This is why literally thousands of games are released on Steam and Epic every year. Heck, this is why Epic decided to open a store and compete with Steam. Yes there is a lot of fluff there, but there are also A LOT of quality titles that are not available on consoles.

- Let's ignore whole genres that barely exist on console like turn-based, real-time strategy that barely exist on console and have large followings and have dedicated developers. Many of these games don't require high end GPU's.

- Let's ignore the hypocrisy of the "consoles are better for the environment" argument that is starting to rear it's head in these threads as if these things should be looked at in isolation.

- Let's ignore some publishers/developers have increased their presence on PC as opposed to decreasing it especially due to the burgeoning Chinese market.

- Let's ignore that many PC gaming rigs double as work machines now or just plain home computers for their users. There is value added there.

- Let's ignore that PC gaming is exploding in China which has ridiculously large population. In 2019 alone there was an estimated 312 million PC gamers in China (Link).

Obviously the signs point to PC gaming just being an "afterthought". Obviously it's an obtuse market. Some really shitty takes here. This is more a response to some obvious console-centric posts here as opposed to the actual article.

Same crap, different pile every PC thread.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Kind of glad the high prices pushed off my new pc build indefinitely, since I can still run most games pretty well on my current PC, so when shit does normalise I'll be able to get a better build that lasts even longer then.

I kind of regretted getting my 1080 when I did basically just for one or two games that didn't run well on my last card since I could have probably held off for the next gen without issues, this time I guess I'm forced to it.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
C'mon, it wasn't that bad. Sure, the prices are ridiculous, but at least PC games are getting proper treatment, with high resolutions, unlocked framerates, ultrawide support, wide adoption of DLSS, introduction of FSR, NIS and soon XeSS which only push the performance even further. The worst period was the PS360 gen where dedicated servers died for good, and many games allowed for 60FPS max, some even, god forbid, ran at 30 no matter what.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
- Gamepass for PC, twitch prime, origin+ all gave excellent value for there game library's which again makes stuff practically free. Buy subscriptions,own nothing. Not even access to game files with gamepass. But it's cheap
- streaming has never been as easy to get into. Kill me. I played OnLive like in 2008 in school on a netbook. I can see it's use and it's a great entry to gaming for people... but it will kill the industry
- You don't have access to game files on consoles too, so the pc version is still superior.
-Duuude. Its about streaming through Steam streaming, etc. Not Onlive, Stadia, etc...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
PC Gaming was bad for most in 2021. I can acknowledge the reasons in the article. That has not been my experience. I finally got a 3080 at 900 dollars from Microcenter in Feb 2021. So 2021...was immaculate from my perspective.

Cyberpunk on my 1070ti vs a 3080? 1080p vs 1440p? Night and frickin Day.

Last edited:

Excess

Fall of 2020 was a rare moment for the industry because Nvidia was facing a threat both from AMD and the new consoles being released that same quarter. That's what created such a good value proposition for Nvidia's 3080, and it's one that neither Nvidia, AMD nor Intel will ignore going forward, because in the GPU space, market share is more important than operating profit, so competitively pricing GPU's, assuming supply is slightly better than previously, will help increase overall share.

The one company to benefit from this most is Intel. Their pockets run deep, and they can effectively outprice AMD in this space, forcing both AMD and Nvidia to increase the value of their offerings, even at the expense of satisfying crypto-miners, under one condition: A competency in deep learning and AI.

Last edited:

ssringo

Yup, that's why I ran down to my local Best Buy and bought one of those readily available consoles.

usp84

If my two year old 5700XT breaks down that basically means the end of PC gaming for me, the GPU prices in my country are insane.

Brofist

Clickbait BS article, low hanging fruit for the few PC haters on here to think it's open season to troll and run.

The end is obviously nigh because graphics cards are expensive and hard to get. PC gaming is doomed and is an "afterthought".

- This is why Sony is releasing PC ports now and it's probably a good guess that the time frame between console releases and their PC equivalent will start getting shorter over time.

- This is why literally thousands of games are released on Steam and Epic every year. Heck, this is why Epic decided to open a store and compete with Steam. Yes there is a lot of fluff there, but there are also A LOT of quality titles that are not available on consoles.

- Let's ignore whole genres that barely exist on console like turn-based, real-time strategy that barely exist on console and have large followings and have dedicated developers. Many of these games don't require high end GPU's.

- Let's ignore the hypocrisy of the "consoles are better for the environment" argument that is starting to rear it's head in these threads as if these things should be looked at in isolation.

- Let's ignore some publishers/developers have increased their presence on PC as opposed to decreasing it especially due to the burgeoning Chinese market.

- Let's ignore that many PC gaming rigs double as work machines now or just plain home computers for their users. There is value added there.

- Let's ignore that PC gaming is exploding in China which has ridiculously large population. In 2019 alone there was an estimated 312 million PC gamers in China (Link).

Obviously the signs point to PC gaming just being an "afterthought". Obviously it's an obtuse market. Some really shitty takes here. This is more a response to some obvious console-centric posts here as opposed to the actual article.

Same crap, different pile every PC thread.
Well put

Last edited:

gypsygib

Is there a TL:DR? I'm guessing because GPUs are near impossible to find and extremely over priced and price prohibitive. PC gaming won't survive long term if the cheapest mid-range GPU (console quality) is $800-$1000. They'll run out of new young users who will stay with phones or focus on consoles or just lose interest on old hardware.

A $330 GTX 970 got millions into PC gaming. Such a thing is impossible now. Old people can find a way to buy a GPU but we're also the first to drop out of gaming instantly with other more pressing life responsibilities, as time is more limited,. Young people who can't even buy a console now can easily lose interest as they mature and get tired of playing PS4/XONE. They released in 2013 and have lost all luster. Maybe there's 2 years before teenagers think gaming is lame without being able to upgrade.

The most magical time in gaming is getting new hardware, delay that too long and the user is lost to the real world as they grow into new people and can easily view gaming as a fond childhood/previous life stage pastime...that can be satisfied just enough with mobile for the odd fix. More so for the generation that was introduced to gaming with mobile, not consoles or PC. In that case, the Sony's, MS, and US/Japanese companies already lost to gatcha and gaming as we know it would be a dying art. Compared to mobile, console/PC gaming is definitely advanced electronic entertainment..or at least something far greater than a Skinner box.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Somehow I feel Nvidia is to blame for all of this. I started to smell the stench in the room when the FTC blocked them from becoming Lord of the Chips. I hope supply starts meeting demand again. I don't even know if I give a fuck about cost anymore. I just want available gpu's gdammit 🙃

octiny

Banned
Yeah, that's a hard no from me. I played more than I ever had prior to 2021 thanks to Gamepass, mostly on PC.

anthraticus

Banned
Get a console already, is more convenient.
cTLiJnL.jpg

STARSBarry

Gold Member
so.. you have everything and you are still not happy?

Damn right, its not the platform its the games... they just don't respect your time anymore.

Indie scene is much larger on PC however so you tend to get more "intresting" titles that are really just passion projects, something that feels lacking generally in the paint by numbers console space.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Damn right, its not the platform its the games... they just don't respect your time anymore
That I can't disagree with. You gotta comb through the crap and learn to ignore what you know you will not enjoy... that's why I am not even bothering to look at new assassin or far cry games

Hydroxy

Hmmm weird article. Just because due to gpu not Available at msrp doesn't make it terrible year for pc gaming. Steam was breaking records for concurrent players. 2021 was definitely a good year for pc gaming overall. If you didn't manage to get a graphics card then it was terrible but in general it was good year.
2022 is going to be even better..Although I am sure this year too gpu will not be available close to msrp

anthraticus

Banned
Indie scene is much larger on PC however so you tend to get more "intresting" titles that are really just passion projects, something that feels lacking generally in the paint by numbers console space.
Exactly. It's all about the games and in the modern era of formulaic AAA garbage that plays itself, PC is a no brainer... with soooo much cooler shit than you're gonna see on consoles.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Exactly. It's all about the games and in the modern era of formulaic AAA garbage that plays itself, PC is a no brainer... with soooo much cooler shit than you're gonna see on consoles.

Its defintly getting that way, Sony used to have a few studios that where there to "pad out" the selection even if the games didn't do the numbers. Like you can't play Journey and not understand that it's doing alot of heavy lifting for the "games as an art form" argument. But now even Sony has moved away from producing these "filler" titles that might not do the numbers but allow people like my self who's not interested in playing a renamed Far Cry game from a diffrent studio for the 7th time this year to find something unique.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I think a lot of people are ignoring the context of why lack of GPUs at realistic MSRPs makes it a bad year. IMO no sensible person is arguing that PC gaming doesn't have huge growth and huge diversity of options and publishers looking to maximise their returns by greater presence with console ports or cross development, but that sort of ignores the narrow window of advancement - the type that is part of a GDC presentation - that even the PC market needs to re-energise it, just like the narrow 200M userbase of consoles needs reinvigorating, and in that context it was a very bad year for PC gaming when advancement is beyond the reach of the consumers that would typically buy-in to that advancement and be the PCgamer magazine reader.

Even on the OS front where directstorage is an emerging feature for Windows, with a daughter board RTX IO acceleration - using GPU compute for decompression - is going to be stifled until GPU prices and availability improve, as even the best PCs without that feature are playing second fiddle to a Series S for loading times. It may seem like nothing, but for the PC to no longer be the place that brings the biggest group of early adopters for all emerging technologies hasn't really happened since the 8bit days of console chip tunes being leagues ahead of the average PC that used CPU + speaker for beep audio - before Adlib sound cards became the minimum..

Dream-Knife

Banned
Fall of 2020 was a rare moment for the industry because Nvidia was facing a threat both from AMD and the new consoles being released that same quarter. That's what created such a good value proposition for Nvidia's 3080, and it's one that neither Nvidia, AMD nor Intel will ignore going forward, because in the GPU space, market share is more important than operating profit, so competitively pricing GPU's, assuming supply is slightly better than previously, will help increase overall share.

The one company to benefit from this most is Intel. Their pockets run deep, and they can effectively outprice AMD in this space, forcing both AMD and Nvidia to increase the value of their offerings, even at the expense of satisfying crypto-miners, under one condition: A competency in deep learning and AI.
The 3080 is in the same boat the 1080ti was; $700 awesome price card.

Unfortunately, as we know the 2080ti and 3080ti aimed to rectify that situation, so I expect next gen to be more expensive as a whole. Perhaps the gen after next another great value will come.

MikeM

Here in EU, If you're lucky to find one, consoles are at MSRP when available in stores.

GPU are automatically 300- 400 - 500 above recommended price in stores. It sucks!
Only founder Edition are MSRP and they're impossible to get.

Worst year for PC, Nah... but I'm curious to see what will happen in the future, people will want to upgrade their 1060 at some point.
If they can’t afford it, there is a place for them in the console market.

DaGwaphics

I think the high GPU prices will eventually sting the PC gaming world, or at least hold it back quite a bit. While the GPU makers are shipping as many units as they used to (and in some cases more units are being released), the fact that an extremely high number of these GPUs are probably not used for gaming at all just leaves gamers out of the loop. Especially budget gamers. For now, the 1060s are still functioning well and hanging in there, but as those units reach their EOL what replaces them for users that aren't going to spend $600 or $700 on a gpu. Eventually these old cards will literally die, that's when the effects will start to be felt.

HTK

Banned
I'm lucky I was able to get a PS5 Digital Edition, my attempts of building a PC have gone nowhere. At this point how good these next-gen games look I don't even care, I'm settled for this generation and am now looking forward to the 42" OLEDs by LG/Sony and potentially VR2.

iHaunter

They're not wrong. All the games I really wanted to play this year were on PS5.
Returnal
Demon's Souls Remake
Miles Morales
Ratchet and Clank
Replayed GoW and TLOUII after patch as well.

Though I did play D2:RE with my friends on PC. From what I understand, it was good on consoles as well however.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PC gaming is by far more powerful, can you catch virus'? Yes, a whole bunch of games don't start due to phony "game launchers", corrupt game files, or force feeding old rigs new graphic cards. Old rigs are fed new graphic cards and it throws off motherboards, cpus etc. console gaming by far is my primary way of gaming.

iHaunter

I still want my RTX 3070 that doesn't cost $1200+!!!

Not sure if sarcastic or not, but all the limitations of consoles make them very inconvenient for tons of people that play on pc. So console = exclusives only...
Okay, give me an example?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
This is why I game on console.
Console peasants please stand up!

MikeM

It all depends on the type of gamer you are. The average gamer doesn't need to constantly push the tech envelope to enjoy this hobby. I'd say the majority are able to fully enjoy 99% of all releases on older hardware.
As long as console games are mainly 60fps, or have options for it, i’ll be happy. I’ve been wanting to build but the price tag for something decent is absurd.
Not being able to choose whatever controller I want for the games.
Xbox has a crap ton of third party options. And certain games have m&k support on both consoles.

raduque

I don't really disagree. I paid ~$500 extra to scalpers without including a GPU just for my parts for my new build last year. I was totally unable to get a GPU at a price I was willing to pay, and even the queue at EVGA was turned off so I just used my old 1060. Last night my coworker messaged me that he got a 3080ti and offered to sell me his 2080ti for $500 so I took him up on that, later today I will see about grabbing that and then I will just wait for the 5000 series (or equivalents if I like their offerings).

It took my coworker and another of his friends trying for a decent bit to actually get the card (it was his friend who succeeded).

Anyways, interesting stuff about the budget cards, makes sense when you think about it.
That's a good deal. A buddy of mine I've known for 20 years just got a 3080 a couple months ago and sold me his 2080 Seahawk (AIO cooled card) for about $300. One hell of an upgrade from my aging RX580 4gb.

My 2012 PC with an RX580 upgrade plays 95% of games out there and at great settings at 1080p.
What are the rest of your specs? I was running an RX580 in my PC (Ryzen 5 3600, 32gb DDR4-3000, 1tb PCIE3 NVME). It was water cooled and overclocked and still couldn't keep up.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
That's a good deal. A buddy of mine I've known for 20 years just got a 3080 a couple months ago and sold me his 2080 Seahawk (AIO cooled card) for about $300. One hell of an upgrade from my aging RX580 4gb.

What are the rest of your specs? I was running an RX580 in my PC (Ryzen 5 3600, 32gb DDR4-3000, 1tb PCIE3 NVME). It was water cooled and overclocked and still couldn't keep up.

FX 6300 at stock speeds
8GB RAM @1600Mhz
1TB HDD
256 GB SATA SSD

So far, as long as I cap the framerate to 30 FPS in the most demanding games I can play games at high/ultra settings at 1080p and even downsample at 1440p. Its an 8GB 580 mind you, so I can always max out texture quality. I think its going to be the case as long as games are cross gen. Once we have next gen only AAA games the PC just won't keep up mainly due to the CPU and low RAM. It struggles with next gen only games like Flight Simulator and the Medium.

Kenpachii

My comments in red. Sorry if I came up as an aggressive asshole :p It came out like that without intent.
btw - I can see ps5's freerly available in media markt etc in the last few days here. Of course in controller+game bundles but .. good deals to be honest. So maybe it is getting better

- As i explained its not, maybe you live in another part of the world where it is, here u can buy everything but a GPU at stock prices or with a minor increase in price that's really not much.

- FSR and NIS are probably the best tech that came out in the last decade for PC gamers on a budget. DLSS is the best tech i would say maybe after gsync. Downtalking this tech showcases u got no clue about PC tech.

- Emulation is massive on PC, downtalking again that some nich game has problems doesn't change the fact that emulation is god tier and everybody that emulates frequently knows this.

- Horizon port in the current state better then most of microsofts ports, they are lackbusting and lazy. So sony did a ace job supporting PC market something this article also didn't care to expand on because its a bad article all around that wanted to drive a agenda.

- Halo is free, campaign cost money however, but gamepass fixes that indeed.

- If PC gamers cared to own stuff, they wouldn't have gone digital, and gog would be a juggernaut and the most dominant shop ever, which clearly isn't the case. That argument would fly 2 decades ago, your typical console user argument that still sits on phyiscal. Totally out of touch.

If you want to play horizon 5 / age of empire 5 / halo, u get a gamepass subscription play all 3 of them and then after u want to buy and play them again 3 years from now u buy them for peanuts.

Honestly if you do math, u will soon realize how much better value it gives.

- What has PS4 games second handed to do with free games on PC that get given away? again console centric look on things. And if you think old games on PC are expensive well google cdkeys

- Nobody is talking about buying a 1060 in 2022, they are talking about using a 1060 in 2022 that people already have. What console have to do with this nobody knows.

A 1060 plays everything, and every game is designed around it. So there goes that argument. 8 year old gpu performance is somehow still relevant today proofs how insane value u get out of your hardware. Again something he doesn't mention.

- More games = more chances on gems. so i heavily support the asia market and it also results in AAA developers current spending more time on PC or moving to PC like sony. So its a net win all around.

- If you think twitch and streaming is the same as onlive in 2008 and it will kill the industry, u live in the past. twitch has 140m unique visiters each month, its the main advertisement solutions for PC devs. Streaming has never been better then today and easier and streaming yourself makes every single, single player game interactive. It's great.

- So new PC technology that sets the bar for future hardware is all crap. Because u don't like it, and progress feels slower then normal, even while technology is pushed out on record pace and we see huge gains on cpu performance , memory performance, ssd performance and gpu performance and intel moving into the gpu solution with mcm etc etc etc. And u think its slow? out of touch with reality. Tech on PC is moving at lightning speed forwards in the last few years and specially in 2021 and its not slowing down 2022 is big and 2023 also as i said in my original post.

- Mining u have full control over. i got a LHR 3080, gpu taxation is 50% max, memory is cooled like a boss, fans hardly spin up even at max taxation which u again can control. Setup mining is like 30 minutes and u are good to go. Honestly what's so nightmarish about it?

Also about electricity. The reason why gpu's are gettign hamstered for mining rigs is because solar panels, u better of burning energy of your solar panels through a mining rig then delivering it back makes you more cash. If you don't got that, u can still make a profit out of it perfectly fine. Every mining tool u can calculate your gains and see if its worth it. I can tell you this, u can make a lot if u care for it.

Here's proof of what a 3080 costed 5 months in 2021 ago, if prices go up or are different on the otherside of the world, so be it. However talking about gpu's where unpayable in 2021 is simple falls. And what i say is exactly what i did. U want a ampere gpu now? drop to a 3070 and pay 1 grand and done u are. if you are on 1080p/1440p that's all u need anyway, 3080 in a lot of cases is massive overkill.

953553b1e8d0f6d5425507db8e9a3ea3.png

7ab8edd2adcb227cd0b9b687a84ed0db.png

Again the article is massively negative and also has the standard console warrior laughable arguments of 4k ( which console don't even do in 99% of the cases ) which is completely useless on PC for anybody really and 500 dollar/euro pc's that u would want to avoid at all costs on PC are all useless argument. The same way as people keep pushing usual console warrior argument of a single console equals a PC, while a PC basically covers all 3 library's of all 3 consoles ( a bit limited still on sony but progress is made on that ) + offers a gigantic library of all older consoles / handhelds and PC games + offers far more next towards just gaming. It's just straight up not having a clue at that point.

U have a budget of 500 bucks and u only want to play games that are all available on the PS5, buy a PS5 simple as that and pay 80 euro new game prices. U want more get a PC but u will have to pay more up front but pays back the moment u get it. If u already own a PC upgrade costs aren't that bad, as i stated above. U don't need a 3090ti and a 12900k with 128gb of ddr5 to play god of war at 1080p at normal settings, any potato cpu and gpu will run it.

The GPU market was in 2021 only a problem for people that don't have a PC and want to buy into one, but second handed market is available for that perfectly fine. I sold my 1080ti for 500 bucks, others sold there's for lower even at that time as low as 400. Because my model was special ( warranty on it + top version ), sell your old card and minor money expensive u got a upgrade.

Like i said the article is massively negative for no reason. PC gaming is a lot more then just GPU prices, 500 euro pc's and 4k resolutions. Something he didn't realize because he's out of touch.

Shit article is shit.

Last edited:

Arsic

I had a blast in 2021 on my 3080 gaming pc. Lots of great games.

Just buy a pre built off ibuypower.

MacReady13

I have been saying it for a while but I am finally going to build a new gaming PC within the next month or so. I have waited long enough for prices to drop and it seems they wont so I'll be selling my series X and my 2nd Switch to cover some of the cost of the PC. I keep my OLED Switch and PS5 as companions. Eventually though I think I will just keep my Switch and sell off the PS5 as most, if not all exclusives will come to PC.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I want to build a gaming PC but I'm waiting for everything to normalize. I sold mine a few years ago to get ahead of a time management problem (games were happening more than work). 2021 was a good year for there to be new consoles because I was able to play everything I wanted at good enough performance on PS5 and XSX, so my desire for a new PC was mitigated by good console experiences. Another thing that tempered my desire for a new PC is that from an experience perspective the practically nonexistent load times on consoles this year was better than anything I experienced, even playing games from SSD, on my 2018 PC.

I hope that GPU manufacturers are able to increase their capacity as more chip fabs come online and meet gaming demand. It's a shame that they prefer doing business with crypto miners over gamers and pushing the high cost cards that allow them to,set their own price and make those margins, but I guess that it is what it is for now. I'd just like to be able to build when I'm ready for a reasonable price as the consoles inevitably fall behind.

Top Bottom