• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gamers admit to piracy

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/11/news_6100456.html

Copy protection experts Macrovision have recently conducted a software piracy survey across a number of popular gaming Web sites. Of the 2,219 PC gamers who responded, 52 percent admitted to having obtained cracked software, and 33 percent of those had acquired "ISO" files--essentially full CD images with the copy protection hacked out. A worrying 15 percent of the respondents owned up to having acquired 15 or more pirated games within the last two years.

Dumbfucks can't even get ESA right. :(

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
same people who let Xing leave the DVD Encryption wide open in their software?

Gattsu25

Banned
50_kitty_3d.jpg

great avatar

I sometimes get NoCD stuff for games I own...stopped with the general piracy thing, though

jenov4

Thanks Gattsu, I also get noCD cracks for the games I own. I can't stand the slow load times just for the CD Check and such.

There was another thread on here about how these types of copy protections install hidden drivers which were really difficult to uninstall.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I've gotten some no CD cracks, too. I think it's really stupid that companies continue to use those, despite how easy it seems to be to get around and it doesn't stop piracy at all. I was glad to see that the UT2k4 upgrade patch got rid of the CD check; too bad the same doesn't happen for Halo.

Mashing

You can't beat the pirates... Unless they start encrptying games wiht 128 bit encryption algorhytms... they will be cracked. They can try to prevent piracy all they want, but they will ultimately fail

akascream

Banned
You can't beat the pirates... Unless they start encrptying games wiht 128 bit encryption algorhytms... they will be cracked. They can try to prevent piracy all they want, but they will ultimately fail

Agreed. No matter how hard you try to make money, there will always be a worthless thief that wants it for nothing. Meanwhile, companies punish thier legitimate fanbase with irritating packaging, CD-Keys and CD changes. Pirates don't have to switch the CD in thier drive over and over and over.. but I do. And it pisses me off.

:flip Pirates :flip

MVP Baseball 2004 1.2 hasn't been cracked, although many have tried. It was a huge patch, and it really makes the game much better. I just wish I could play my copy without having to find the CD anytime I want to play...

gblues

Banned
Survey results mean nothing if you do not disclose exactly the questions that were asked.

For example, I've purchased almost every PC game I own, but I've pirated games in the past. If the survey simply asked, "Have you ever pirated a PC game?" then I would have to answer "yes" and I would be TEH EVIL even though I've spent hundreds of dollars on games over the years.

Or, if the survey question was "Have you ever downloaded a CD ISO?" I, again, would have to say Yes. That the ISO in question was Redhat Fedora Core never enters the surveyists mind; I am TEH PIRATE.

So, yeah. The survey is a troll for more people to buy their crappy anti-customerware.

Nathan

Gattsu25 said:
50_kitty_3d.jpg

great avatar

I sometimes get NoCD stuff for games I own...stopped with the general piracy thing, though

OT: I'm at work cracking up at my desk because of that Avatar. I would love to make that my wallpaper. That is funny as hell!! :)

Top Bottom