• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming just feel kinda dumb!!! tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

OOGABOOGA

Banned
Meh talk about a weak flailout. Search for Kretos thread to get inspiration!
Noted
7809-pepe-noted.gif

OOGABOOGA

Banned
I sometimes play on PC but it isn't attractive for me for multiple reasons :

- price has become ridiculous for the latest GPUs
- you don't get much technically since nearly every game now runs at 60 fps on the new consoles with nearly the same settings. On screen, PC and console versions now look very similar.
- latest GPU takes far too much power. I don't want a space heater.
- I don't care about playing retro games 20 years later and I already have a Raspberry Pi with all the games I loved as a kid (I never use it) which cost nothing.
- too many cheaters in multiplayer games
- I want my AAA games day one, not months later (and I don't want to bother with the bad ports we get sometimes).
- I don't want to work on settings before launching a new game (GeForce experience improved that part though)

I like some pc exclusives though, like strategy games (they aren't really exclusives these days, but they play better with kb / M) , so I'll always have a somewhat outdated PC.

Overall, consoles fit my gaming needs a lot more. I doubt I'll upgrade my pc any time soon.

Now it's just my needs, other people will prefer PC and that's fine.
%C3%A7rpik-kurd%C3%AE.gif

finally some like minded, I was really starting to lose hope in this community.

Oh so you admit that you never had any intention of actually discussing the topic ON A FORUM and were only looking to back slap people who already agreed with you. Basically admitting to trolling.
True. On the other hand I can't remember the last time anyone on this forum was interested in an actual discussion.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Demon souls remake
God of war ragnorak
Returnal
Final fantasy 7 rebirth
Final fantasy 16
Horizon forbidden west
Spider man 2
You're way over valuing those games... Between PC and Nintendo I couldn't care less about those lol

If it's about games, hope you have fun playing World of Warcraft, League of Legends, being barely competitive in any online shooter without an aimbot and running The Quarry or Bloodborne at 60fps on PS5.

Each platform has their things people love them for, I wouldn't be playing some Japanese games that only has English voices if I couldn't just mod them by digging in installation files.

Also, when 8th gen came out, most people complaining about not having a big graphics jump were mostly PC gamers, me included, since the console just brought to mainstream what mid end PC were enjoying since 4 years or so before... The gap closed on graphics a little, but still remains on framerate.

OOGABOOGA

Banned
Oh so you admit that you never had any intention of actually discussing the topic ON A FORUM and were only looking to back slap people who already agreed with you. Basically admitting to trolling.

%C3%A7rpik-kurd%C3%AE.gif
It's not my fault that nobody has yet to provide the solid reason why should anyone invest in a gaming PC. Just seemes like people who have OCD or insufferables playing games from 20 years ago.
955t.gif

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's not my fault that nobody has yet to provide the solid reason why should anyone invest in a gaming PC. Just seemes like people who have OCD or insufferables playing games from 20 years ago.
Do i have to be the one to explain all the benefits of PC to this motherfucker? I'm too busy playing OMORI

Valedix

I just really never understood why or what's the point!! There was never something strongly suggested me to get a high budget PC for gaming. Just why on earth would a gamer spend so much money on a PC, when games with great graphics will be designed for console anyways? just for little graphical improvements that don't make any difference!! That's it!!

It just feels kinda dumb to me?

Anyways PC gamers your master race 3000$ PC will never have these games (at least not on release date)
Demon souls remake
God of war ragnorak
Returnal
Final fantasy 7 rebirth
Final fantasy 16
Horizon forbidden west
Spider man 2

It must be really useless being a PC gamer, it's like marrying a 10/10 girl that doesn't have a pussy.
who's gonna tell him that all of these games will end up being on PC someday lol

saturnalian

Nah you're just a troll. I already mentioned emulation which is actually the best gaming available today, and you ignored it, because you're a troll.
Emulation doesn't require a mega gaming PC, I could emulate on my grandma's desktop PC if I wanted. Not a real reason to invest in a gaming PC

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My biggest gripe with PCs is bunch of different launchers but that’s getting better. But the biggest pet peeve is the cheaters, they are running rampant and the fact games are not optimized well.
I hate launchers. Cheaters don’t impact me but when I played bf5 there was a cheater every night which was super annoying.
And it felt like more people used aimbots aside from obvious immortal guys shooting you from under the map

Emulation doesn't require a mega gaming PC, I could emulate on my grandma's desktop PC if I wanted. Not a real reason to invest in a gaming PC

That's not true. Amusingly, emulators can use more hardware than contemporary console ports. Try running CRT Royale at 4k on your grandma's PC. Try running Metroid Prime in Dolphin at 4k internal rendering resolution on granny's PC.

Polystars in MAME doesn't even get full speed on the fastest CPU you can buy yet.

You even need a relatively modern monitor to get the most out of emulation. Running emulators without variable refresh is a huge downgrade.

Krathoon

One of the great things about PCs are the unofficial patches. The fans fix up games to a point you will never have on a console.

OOGABOOGA

Banned
might as well avoid a ps5 and just keep gaming on a ps4 if that's your take.
Not really!! the tech and graphical jump between each console generation is huge. just look at the last of us on the ps3 then the last of us part 2 on PS4. you are not going to get way better graphics on PC, you are just going to get about the same of what's coming to consoles anyways. Sorry, but Console is what drives the companies to make games not PC.

DaGwaphics

That's not true. Amusingly, emulators can use more hardware than contemporary console ports. Try running CRT Royale at 4k on your grandma's PC. Try running Metroid Prime in Dolphin at 4k internal rendering resolution on granny's PC.

Polystars in MAME doesn't even get full speed on the fastest CPU you can buy yet.

You even need a relatively modern monitor to get the most out of emulation. Running emulators without variable refresh is a huge downgrade.

He said emulators don't require a powerful gaming PC, not that they don't support them. Run at a lower res and there you go. Integrated graphics can run most classic emulators these days, not at 4k though.

He said emulators don't require a powerful gaming PC, not that they don't support them. Run at a lower res and there you go. Integrated graphics can run most classic emulators these days, not at 4k though.

No, he said it wasn't worth investing in high end hardware for emulation, which is objectively wrong, and you ignored my point about certain drivers in MAME that actually DO need high end CPUs to run at full speed.

Last edited:
Not really!! the tech and graphical jump between each console generation is huge. just look at the last of us on the ps3 then the last of us part 2 on PS4. you are not going to get way better graphics on PC, you are just going to get about the same of what's coming to consoles anyways. Sorry, but Console is what drives the companies to make games not PC.

Yeah, actually, you are going to get way better graphics on the PC. Way more. In fact, about DOUBLE. We play PC games at 120hz now. 60hz?

AAkjr8v.png

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I sometimes play on PC but it isn't attractive for me for multiple reasons :

- price has become ridiculous for the latest GPUs
- you don't get much more technically since nearly every game now runs at 60 fps on the new consoles with nearly the same settings. On screen, PC and console versions now look very similar.
- latest GPU takes far too much power. I don't want a space heater.
- I don't care about playing retro games 20 years later and I already have a Raspberry Pi with all the games I loved as a kid (I never use it) which cost nothing.
- too many cheaters in multiplayer games
- I want my AAA games day one, not months later (and I don't want to bother with the bad ports we get sometimes).
- I don't want to work on settings before launching a new game (GeForce experience improved that part though)

I like some pc exclusives though, like strategy games (they aren't really exclusives these days, but they play better with kb / M) , so I'll always have a somewhat outdated PC.

Overall, consoles fit my gaming needs a lot more. I doubt I'll upgrade my pc any time soon.

Now it's just my needs, other people will prefer PC and that's fine.
This sounds reasonable. Pc gaming is just gaming but with additional steps. These steps are sometimes more annoying or less but for sure very costly. But also it gives additional benefits and access to more old games and infinite possibilities if you are willing.
And for sure ever since last gen or partially even 360, the difference between games on console and pc has been getting smaller.
Games on consoles are 1440p, 4k, 60 or 120 fps and when they are 30 it is locked. And nowadays there are even some advantages like faster loading in some games, built in 3d audio, better hdr support and dualsense is sometimes a game changer like in returnal.

Then of course there are exclusives and physical games. I know the games go to pc later. The physical media, even limited as is, still exists only on console.

So in short: pc gaming is limitless in possibilities, cost and sometimes really gets me too focused on tweaking over playing. Pcgamingwiki is saviour! I know you can mod ff7 classic and get it amazing but Inlike the simplicity of downloading it from psn and having a decent port right away with no tweaking at all. The steam port requires some research on my part to match the experience. Just one example.

Remember, after all it’s about games. You will get 180fps on pc and a bit higher graphics sometimes but at a cost. Not only money but your focus and time.
I personally love pc gaming. But it’s that love hate relationship and console is my main new games and exclusives platform recently.

Last edited:

buenoblue

I mean you could say this about literally anything????? Why buy a nice car when you can buy an old shitty car that will get you there? Those clothes your wearing? Why not just wear a sack, boy?

Yes a console with give you a good or even great experience. I love my ps5. But playing stuff like Forza horizon 5 @4k 60 maxed out is a sight to behold. Plus stuff like rocket league @240fps is a game changer.

Friends who see games running on my PC always say wow that looks amazing and I only have a 2080. No one has ever said the same about games on my ps5.

If you don't value a premium experience in gaming fidelity that's fine, but for those if us that do it's great to have the option.

This sounds reasonable. Pc gaming is just gaming but with additional steps. These steps are sometimes more annoying or less but for sure very costly. But also it gives additional benefits and access to more old games and infinite possibilities if you are willing.
And for sure ever since last gen or partially even 360, the difference between games on console and pc has been getting smaller.
Games on consoles are 1440p, 4k, 60 or 120 fps and when they are 30 it is locked. And nowadays there are even some advantages like faster loading in some games, built in 3d audio, better hdr support and dualsense is sometimes a game changer like in returnal.

Then of course there are exclusives and physical games. I hope the games go to pc later, the physical media, even limited as is, still exists only on console.

So in short: pc gaming is limitless in possibilities, cost and sometimes really gets me too focused on tweaking over playing.

Remember, after all it’s about games. You will get 180fps on pc and a bit higher graphics sometimes but at a cost. Not only money but your focus and time.
I personally love pc gaming. But it’s that love hate relationship and console is my main new games and exclusives platform recently.

These are good points. I think the only really undisputable fact here is that PC hardware is more expensive. 3D audio really isn't a point, though. You can just plug in a 3xxx series Nvidia card into an HDMI 2.1 receiver and boom, Dolby Atmos sound in games. You can literally use a dual sense pad on the PC.

Also, a lot of the time vampirism with PC gaming comes from exotic setups that you CAN avoid. Yes, if you get an ultrawide monitor you'll be doing hex edit hacks or running flawless widescreen on every 3rd game that comes out, but if you just get a 16:9 4k monitor everything is going to Just Work™.

It's also about the hardware. Buy an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU and just play stuff that's on Steam and generally speaking stuff is going to Just Work™ without any tweaking at all. Arguably simpler than console gaming is honestly.

OOGABOOGA

Banned
I mean you could say this about literally anything????? Why buy a nice car when you can buy an old shitty car that will get you there? Those clothes your wearing? Why not just wear a sack, boy?

Yes a console with give you a good or even great experience. I love my ps5. But playing stuff like Forza horizon 5 @4k 60 maxed out is a sight to behold. Plus stuff like rocket league @240fps is a game changer.

Friends who see games running on my PC always say wow that looks amazing and I only have a 2080. No one has ever said the same about games on my ps5.

If you don't value a premium experience in gaming fidelity that's fine, but for those if us that do it's great to have the option.
Oh gosh this take is not it... why do you use this forum instead of using my little pony sub-reddit?

Lupin25

In other circumstances (like playing Cyberpunk 2077, Skyrim and soon Starfield, or other major 3rd party games day one) PC has major benefits over consoles.

On the other hand publishers are targeting the casual audience on base consoles, so the goal will be to optimize performance on those platforms above all else. Devs don’t want to ship their games without prioritizing consoles, so no one loses.

Plus, consoles, unfortunately receive the best exclusives.

Last edited:
In other circumstances (like playing Cyberpunk 2077, Skyrim and soon Starfield, or other major 3rd party games day one) PC has major benefits over consoles.

On the other hand publishers are targeting the casual audience on base consoles, so the goal will be to optimize performance on those platforms above all else. Devs don’t want to ship their games without prioritizing consoles, so no one loses.

Plus, consoles, unfortunately receive the best exclusives.

Nah. Probably the most significant--and arguably the best--game of the 21st century so far, World of Warcraft, was a PC exclusive.

saturnalian

No, he said it wasn't worth investing in high end hardware for emulation, which is objectively wrong, and you ignored my point about certain drivers in MAME that actually DO need high end CPUs to run at full speed.
I wanna say that this is a stretch, specifically citing emulation in 4K resolutions as a reason to invest is shaky. You cited Polystars as requiring high-end hardware, but that's just one game. Most games don't require that if the user is content with lower resolutions, and lets be honest, who really needs to run Super Mario 64 in 4k, or any other popular emulation title.

I wanna say that this is a stretch, specifically citing emulation in 4K resolutions as a reason to invest is shaky. You cited Polystars as requiring high-end hardware, but that's just one game. Most games don't require that if the user is content with lower resolutions, and lets be honest, who really needs to run Super Mario 64 in 4k, or any other popular emulation title.

It's not shaky at all. Some people literally spend thousands of dollars on arcade cabinet setups. I cited one game because it was just an example. I could list dozens more without wracking my brain.

nkarafo

Every time someone tries to make the price of a PC seem as bloated as possible, they use a random price.

First there was this guy who seems to hate PCs but spent 2000$ buying overpriced shit he didn't need. Then someone else posts a meme that suggests a gaming PCs costs 4000$. This piece of work OP is using a 3000$ price tag.

This is how you know they are all bullshit.

Every time someone tries to make the price of a PC seem as bloated as possible, they use a random price.

First there was this guy who seems to hate PCs but spent 2000$ buying overpriced shit he didn't need. Then someone else posts a meme that suggests a gaming PCs costs 4000$. This piece of work OP is using a 3000$ price tag.

This is how you know they are all bullshit.

If I had actually bought every crappy arcade collection that's been released in the past 20 years instead of running superior emulators on the PC for free, I probably would have spent more money on consoles than buying $2,000+ PCs (I actually buy PCs that expensive).

Genuinely not convinced that console gaming is cheaper overall. PC games become dirt cheap after the first month, no fees for playing online, old games are effectively free, no rebuying the same games every 4 years...

Last edited:

kapshin

Don't want to buy a expensive PC, you have consoles. Want higher end but don't mind paying more for the hardware you have PCs. Just buy what you want and you're fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom