• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming just feel kinda dumb!!! tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

saturnalian

Don't want to buy a expensive PC, you have consoles. Want higher end but don't mind paying more for the hardware you have PCs. Just buy what you want and you're fine.
No No No GIF

But seriously:
Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

Last edited:

Droxcy

Flight Sim VR, DCS VR, Assetto Corsa cool thing about PC there's different niches and things to consume. Also mods GTA is still playable due to FIVEM while everyone moans on console lol.

Fredrik

Why buy an expensive $2000 OLED TV from 2022 with VRR and 120hz etc when you can buy a cheap LCD TV that still show a picture?

Why buy an expensive Tesla when you can buy a cheap Skoda?

Why buy an expensive iPhone or Samsung phone for $1,000+ when you can buy a cheap phone for $100

Etc

People choose their entry level in all things in life, sometimes you choose something cheap and functional and sometimes you choose the absolute best of the best even if it’s expensive.

I use PC gaming to get the best graphics quality at the highest fps with the most modding freedom.

But I play on consoles too, when I’m okay with lower graphics settings and don’t care about mods and just want an easy and silent living room experience.

And I do drive a Skoda too.
And have a LCD TV from 2017.

Sometimes you want the best of the best but sometimes you’re okay with a lesser thing. And that’s okay.

But who knows it besides PC-only players lol?

You ask the rest of the world they might say Bloodborne or God of War.

The only reason I even said arguably the best because I was thinking about the Souls games. WOW's definitely more significant though.

WOW was a crossover game like no Sony exclusives really are. Grandmas largely don't give a crap about God of War, but they still play WOW even today. It's definitely game of the century so far.

saturnalian

The only reason I even said arguably the best because I was thinking about the Souls games. WOW's definitely more significant though.

WOW was a crossover game like no Sony exclusives really are. Grandmas largely don't give a crap about God of War, but they still play WOW even today. It's definitely game of the century so far.
Can confirm, my grandma plays WoW to this day. She's a PC gamer.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I just really never understood why or what's the point!! There was never something strongly suggested me to get a high budget PC for gaming. Just why on earth would a gamer spend so much money on a PC, when games with great graphics will be designed for console anyways? just for little graphical improvements that don't make any difference!! That's it!!

It just feels kinda dumb to me?

Anyways PC gamers your master race 3000$ PC will never have these games (at least not on release date)
Demon souls remake
God of war ragnorak
Returnal
Final fantasy 7 rebirth
Final fantasy 16
Horizon forbidden west
Spider man 2

It must be really useless being a PC gamer, it's like marrying a 10/10 girl that doesn't have a pussy.

does having a game on release day matter?

Grechy34

I just really never understood why or what's the point!! There was never something strongly suggested me to get a high budget PC for gaming. Just why on earth would a gamer spend so much money on a PC, when games with great graphics will be designed for console anyways? just for little graphical improvements that don't make any difference!! That's it!!

Anyways PC gamers your master race 3000$ PC will never have these games (at least not on release date)
Demon souls remake
God of war ragnorak
Returnal
Final fantasy 7 rebirth
Final fantasy 16
Horizon forbidden west
Spider man 2

It must be really useless being a PC gamer, it's like marrying a 10/10 girl that doesn't have a pussy.

She still has a mouth though.

Mister Wolf

The performance and resolution at which consoles run multiplatform games simply isn't good enough for me. Becomes even more glaring when you involve raytracing. Some people like drinking Mickey's Malt liquor, others like drinking Remy Martin 1738. Both will get you drunk. I'm in the latter category.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wonder why any real competitive player on any game such as call of duty to apex legends, to valorant to league of legends isn't playing on console?

PC gaming might not be your thing OP, just accept that but also accept that there are millions upon millions of people that think differently to you.

Why is it always these Sony exclusives that get brought up in these threads? Are playstation fans so insecure about PC that they have to make threads like this every now and again?

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

Demon souls remake
God of war ragnorak
Returnal
Final fantasy 7 rebirth
Final fantasy 16
Horizon forbidden west
Spider man 2

Only thing dumb is you existing to make this thread knowing you will go to final exit.

I realize this much attention all at once is a highlight of your life. Congratulations OP.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The performance and resolution at which consoles run multiplatform games simply isn't good enough for me. Becomes even more glaring when you involve raytracing. Some people like drinking Mickey's Malt liquor, others like drinking Remy Martin 1738. Both will get you drunk. I'm in the latter category.
This post is VSOP.

kether

Neo Member
6 years ago I bought a gaming laptop for 1,000 dollars, still using it, still runs every game. Compare that price with Playstation. First we have the console for 500 dollars. Then you have to add the price to play online, 60 dollars a year. Multiply 60 by 6 years, 360 dollars. So we have 860 dollars total for 6 years of Playstation gaming. Now factor in that games on PC are generally cheaper, PC comes out ahead. And oh yea by the way, you have a computer that can do a whole hell of a lot more than just play games.

fermcr

Demon souls remake
God of war ragnorak
Returnal
Final fantasy 7 rebirth
Final fantasy 16
Horizon forbidden west
Spider man 2

fishing-for-attention-dont-mind-me.gif

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
does having a game on release day matter?

Absolutely, yes. You get to pay 70 pounds to get the worst possible version. It's the best thing ever.

Who do those losers who pay a margin of the price 6 months later and have all those awesome patches that add 40fps modes and 120hz options with improved graphics think they are? :messenger_beaming::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
While I agree that PC Gaming lacks exclusives, one must appreciate the fact that it has more games than xbox (since some PS games come to it) AND it is the definitive way to play old games (RPCS3, CEMU, other emulators) and even contemporary ones (YUZU etc.)

I sometimes play on PC but it isn't attractive for me for multiple reasons :

- price has become ridiculous for the latest GPUs
- you don't get much more technically since nearly every game now runs at 60 fps on the new consoles with nearly the same settings. On screen, PC and console versions now look very similar.
- latest GPU takes far too much power. I don't want a space heater.
- I don't care about playing retro games 20 years later and I already have a Raspberry Pi with all the games I loved as a kid (I never use it) which cost nothing.
- too many cheaters in multiplayer games
- I want my AAA games day one, not months later (and I don't want to bother with the bad ports we get sometimes).
- I don't want to work on settings before launching a new game (GeForce experience improved that part though)

I like some pc exclusives though, like strategy games (they aren't really exclusives these days, but they play better with kb / M) , so I'll always have a somewhat outdated PC.

Overall, consoles fit my gaming needs a lot more. I doubt I'll upgrade my pc any time soon.

Now it's just my needs, other people will prefer PC and that's fine.
I don't understand why consoles don't have support for Kb/M it would be so much better experience with some games and there would be the possibility to have even more range of games available in their ecosystem.

kirby007

pretty rich coming from a caveman who barely knows how a door works and thinks sleeping under a bridge is a way of living

Banjo64

cumsessed
Compare that price with Playstation. First we have the console for 500 dollars. Then you have to add the price to play online, 60 dollars a year. Multiply 60 by 6 years, 360 dollars. So we have 860 dollars total for 6 years of Playstation gaming.
I have a £350 digital edition PS5 and don’t subscribe to Plus. So 6 years of PlayStation gaming is £350 for me.

I also game share with my brother so day one releases are £35.

Also, in 6 years time I will sell my PS5 for £150, so you could technically say it’s 6 years of PlayStation gaming for £200.

(y)

What i love about PCMR is how they say those stories about drivers and incompatabilities is something from a bygone era, yet every single day here I see posts asking should they overclock, put shadows on high instead of ultra or should they turn off their firewall jsut to play the game. Yeah, id ratehr play on consoles on my 65" any day of the year. Plug n Play baby.

DavidGzz

PS5-$400
50 $70 games=$3500
PS5 Pro=$500(unless you want 20-30 fps next gen games lul)
7 years of PS plus=$420
Totes=$4820

PC=$2000
50 $20 games=$1000
Free online=$0
Free mods=$0
Totes=$3000
At least 60fps on all games=priceless.

Just an answer for OP, no fanboy since I own all platforms and make sex to them all. Also, how can a grill be a 10/10 with no poocy?

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I just really never understood why or what's the point!! There was never something strongly suggested me to get a high budget PC for gaming. Just why on earth would a gamer spend so much money ays PC gamers your master race 3000$ PC will never have these games (at least not on release date)
Demon souls remake
God of war ragnorak
Returnal
Final fantasy 7 rebirth
Final fantasy 16
Horizon forbidden west
Spider man 2
Interesting that you added the caveat "at least not on release date".

As you know we'll probably get all of those games and they'll be superior on the PC. Us PC gamers are nothing if not a patient bunch ;)

Console gaming is cool and everything, but it's so limiting, I don't understand how anyone with an above average IQ would choose such a dumbed down option.

I'll forgive you if you're just too busy for it though, like family etc, or too poor (been there!). But for the rest, build yourself a PC (in itself an extremely rewarding experience) and broaden your horizons with the endless possibilities of the most open platform in existence, I doubt you'll go back!

Orta

Banned

Demon souls remake
God of war ragnorak
Returnal
Final fantasy 7 rebirth
Final fantasy 16
Horizon forbidden west
Spider man 2

Oh thank God you've shared your wisdom with us. I've now seen the light and am on my way home to throw my pc out.

Though if you want to message me your home/shelter address I'd glady stop off and smash it over your head first?

GametimeUK

You feel dumb because people who don't play on PC are dumb by default.

The better your PC, the more worthy your opinion is on this forum.
The bigger your Steam library is, the more attractive you are.
The more monitors you have, the more people like you as a person.
The more RGB in your rig, the more sophistication you have.

If you have a console where you can't disable chromatic aberration in 90% of games and you think that is acceptable it tells me all I need to know about you as a person.

kether

Neo Member
I have a £350 digital edition PS5 and don’t subscribe to Plus. So 6 years of PlayStation gaming is £350 for me.

I also game share with my brother so day one releases are £35.

Also, in 6 years time I will sell my PS5 for £150, so you could technically say it’s 6 years of PlayStation gaming for £200.

(y)
Yea I was going to mention unless you don't subscribe to Plus but am in a rush. I'd still be gaming on Playstation if they didn't charge for online. Not going to pay 800+ every 6 years to play on console when I can play on PC for close to same price.

Fredrik

What i love about PCMR is how they say those stories about drivers and incompatabilities is something from a bygone era, yet every single day here I see posts asking should they overclock, put shadows on high instead of ultra or should they turn off their firewall jsut to play the game. Yeah, id ratehr play on consoles on my 65" any day of the year. Plug n Play baby.
That’s like saying cars are too complicated because there are people who like to tinker and tune and mod through OBD. Just use the bus instead, much easier.

I don’t fiddle with my PC, it’s as plug and play as the consoles, in 99% of the games I just go with the recommended settings and the GPU driver is from a year ago. I know I could get more out of the system if I do more clocking and update the drivers, but it works fine, so why bother?

Last edited:

Arun1910

I can't tell if this is Satire or if OP is a little bit 🤪

That said... PC Gaming is amazing once you get into it, yes it can be expensive, but set yourself your own goal for your own needs. You don't always need the best.

I built a pretty banging PC over the past couple years and use that to play Multiplatform games, Xbox Games and use Game Pass. You can also use a controller and you have more freedom over your games from a performance perspective.

I also own a PS5, as I think Sony exclusives are of really high standard and I like playing them at launch.

This gives me the best of both, I wouldn't say PC gaming is dumb, it's just probably not for you.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Pc has gotten alot better on this front. And I feel consoles have gotten alot worse. To many patches and quite a few games have 3 or 4 graphic/performance options.

Actually I don't care much about performance. That's why I was on consoles most of my life. But after both PS and Xbox started putting their exclusives on PC that's where I wanted to be. Got a PC that's about on par with he PS5 for around $750 total during the pandemic. Once I'm on it I discover endless indie and AA tier games that aren't on consoles. I can tweak how every game looks and performs if I want. Or not, as most games just seem to work out of the box. Mods fix and add anything I want. Not big into emulation anymore but games I missed eons ago run without needing another machine.

Gotten a massive boost in productivity too, because it's so much faster than my old PC. Million tabs open no problem. Huge projects load fast, creating art and animation is butter smoother.

So actually, even without the dick waving graphical power advantage, I'm finding my PC to be giving me a lot more than a PS5 would.
Most games are plug n play these days. Settings & overclocking are for squeezing some extra performance out. I don't mess with that much. I also got a lengthy HDMI running to my living room TV so it serves me in my office & on the couch.

I work on a computer all day for my job. I'm a software developer.

It may be in my head but I just don't associate PC with fun anymore. I'd rather deal with something that just works and allows me to play and enjoy the hobby without messing with settings and ensuring I have the latest drivers. I have built many PC's over the years and at some point it just gets tiresome when a game you really want to play keeps crashing because there's some unforeseen issue regarding your particular hardware setup. I no longer enjoy messing around with in game settings... lowering one thing and trying to figure out what has the lowest impact on visuals whilst still hitting that 60fps mark. I have had the most expensive gaming laptops, built multiple high end PC's over the years and for me the increase in fidelity you get isn't worth the price premium you pay to get it.

buenoblue

I work on a computer all day for my job. I'm a software developer.

It may be in my head but I just don't associate PC with fun anymore. I'd rather deal with something that just works and allows me to play and enjoy the hobby without messing with settings and ensuring I have the latest drivers. I have built many PC's over the years and at some point it just gets tiresome when a game you really want to play keeps crashing because there's some unforeseen issue regarding your particular hardware setup. I no longer enjoy messing around with in game settings... lowering one thing and trying to figure out what has the lowest impact on visuals whilst still hitting that 60fps mark. I have had the most expensive gaming laptops, built multiple high end PC's over the years and for me the increase in fidelity you get isn't worth the price premium you pay to get it.

All completely Fair points. But surely unlike OP you can see why some would be into it. Choice is good. Me personally I have Consoles and a gaming Pc so I get the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom