• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming just feel kinda dumb!!! tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofif

Banned
Why would I do that? My monitor (that monitor) is 240hz. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy console gaming too. I just found it dumb that somebody was suggesting PC games are $20 and now making this about team blue.
Yeah it's ridiculous.
Everyone is clawing away at high refresh rate like if we weren't all playing 60hz for past 20 years. Up until few years ago, everyone forgot about high refresh rates. Just like about mechanical keyboards.
I was playing 120hz crt up to 2006 ffs. And now everyone is screaming "how good high refresh rate is"... It's so weird and noobish. I am over it. I was already over high refresh rate and now someone else "discovers" it and is shocked.
I had 240hz gsync monitor just few years ago when high refresh rate was "reinvented". It was great but I also had 120, 144, 165 and settled for 4k60 for some time.
All souls games are 60fps locked so I just saw more benefit to run these games max graphics at 60fps.
240 hz is not everything. Compare 4k120 oled to 240hz ips and it's clear which one is batter. I would take 60hz oled over it too any day.

I game on PC for mods, flexibility, I like building and maintaining them, I can control the experience, I can easily play games that are old or new without much effort, there are a lot of indie games that are only on PC, and more reasons that I'm forgetting.

I have no issues with consoles, I just prefer PC for the reasons above. I don't totally understand the impulse to argue about this stuff other than raw tribalism. Gaming is a huge tent from the most casual phone games imaginable to management sim games that are akin to a full-time occupation, and everything in between.

Just have fun.

PC gaming is for two groups of people: hobbyists, and kids that don't know any better playing fortnight on their parents shitty PC.

PC gaming is too much of a hassle for me to bother with. When I come home to play a game, I want it to work with no fuss. Also, a significant number of games that I care about never come to PC, or are comically late to the party.

I ain't mad though. Who gives a fuck.

Three

Yeah it's ridiculous.
Everyone is clawing away at high refresh rate like if we weren't all playing 60hz for past 20 years. Up until few years ago, everyone forgot about high refresh rates. Just like about mechanical keyboards.
I was playing 120hz crt up to 2006 ffs. And now everyone is screaming "how good high refresh rate is"... It's so weird and noobish. I am over it. I was already over high refresh rate and now someone else "discovers" it and is shocked.
I had 240hz gsync monitor just few years ago when high refresh rate was "reinvented". It was great but I also had 120, 144, 165 and settled for 4k60 for some time.
All souls games are 60fps locked so I just saw more benefit to run these games max graphics at 60fps.
240 hz is not everything. Compare 4k120 oled to 240hz ips and it's clear which one is batter. I would take 60hz oled over it too any day.
Exactly. It's mainly because consoles have started doing higher refresh rates now so there is a lot of talk about it and we have some PC users gloating more about even higher ones when referring to consoles. That's why high refresh rate talk has really kicked off recently. But we can all get along and respect differing opinions/preferences. It's really not that serious.

One person prefers to get content early at a higher price, another person prefers to get tech early at a higher price. Both get things eventually. None of it makes anyone special. People should just enjoy what they enjoy, share opinions and get to know eachothers without spurring these wars.

Roxkis_ii

100% yes. I don't see the issue with port begging. What's wrong with hoping a game that looks great gets released on your platform of choice?

I think it's ironic that a lot of PC users talk shit about consoles, but lust over console games that would have never been made if they weren't attached to a console.

Then the whole pc snobbery make PC gamers real easy to dislike.

Fredrik

This is not right.
It's not Entry thing vs high end thing.
The difference you get in games on ps5/xsx vs pc is not as big as cheap lcd to oled.
The difference is actually debatable and not absolute.

oh btw I have no idea what people have against skoda. Buddy got 2018 octavia and it's really nice. Got everything....
These are just some weird comparisons.
I love my Skoda Superb, it’s my second one, would buy another one.
But it’s not a Tesla. Or Mercedes. Or BMW. Or Audi.

Skoda is a slightly lower end car brand, still pretty nice and their cars have plenty of features for the asking price, but they never have the latest features or the highest quality in features or in parts. They cut the corners wherever they can to get it to fit the customer segment they’re targeting.

Just like consoles. Or cheaper TVs, phones, AVRs, cameras, headphones, etc.

I agree that the differences you see and feel aren’t as big now as the price differences. 60fps is almost standard now on consoles and that’s awesome. But the differences are there and if you’re an enthusiast and just don’t want to cut any corners there is no other choice than going with PC over consoles.

Personally I like PCs because I’m always in control, with settings and hardware upgrades and mods, even ini files if it ends with that, I never feel like I’m simply stuck and just have to sit and wait for things to improve.

Sentenza

I think it's ironic that a lot of PC users talk shit about consoles, but lust over console games that would have never been made if they weren't attached to a console.

Instant translator: " I'm incredibly petty and territorial about muh exclusives, so I get irrationally angry when other people get the option to play them".

marjo

Odd. I dislike you a hell of a lot more than the PC snobs. :pie_thinking:

Guilty_AI

Theres nothing weird about wanting X game thats on a certain platform while not liking the platform itself. So what if they were made thanks to it? People want the game, not the console.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

I got myself a new gaming pc today, my first since 2003. (Not counting low spec laptops for work).
It definitly didn't feel dumb (except that my wallet hurts).

I also have a PS5, a switch and a series x. I'll probably sell the series x, since I can now play all the xbox exclusives in improved form on the new pc,and the series x is basically a lower speced pc.
Also, i'll definitly buy most of the upcoming multiplat games on PC over ps5 for best performance, and primary use the PS5 for some couch co-op with my girlfriend + streaming services.

Play on what you enjoy, and feel good - not dumb.

LordCBH

Sarcastic I Dont Care GIF by Sound FX

Roxkis_ii

None of this is a good look for you.
Something I hadn't honestly concidered until now. I think I will meditate on this.

Instant translator: " I'm incredibly petty and territorial about muh exclusives, so I get irrationally angry when other people get the option to play them".

Not really, I was on the first page recommending Returenal in the steam dB leak thread.

Odd. I dislike you a hell of a lot more than the PC snobs. :pie_thinking:

Well it's a good thing you won't see me in most pc threads. If only I was afforded that luxury in PS exclusive game threads from pc users.

ClosBSAS

Ah yes that 2001 strawman argument. Dlss, ultrawide, fsr 2.0, gsync, vr, you have what you have in consoles thanks to PC tech .

JackSparr0w

Banned
It's kids.
Kids often only have parents laptops and they play fortnite or minecraf there... or cs go.
It's all kids.
And it's not like service games are comparable this way to single player games
Sure parents are giving their work laptops to kids to play escape from tarkov, world of warcraft, dota 2 etc. without a mouse on a trackpad.

If PC gaming is full of kids then console "toybox" gaming is what? Full of toddlers?

Never go full retard rofif.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Sure parents are giving their work laptops to kids to play escape from tarkov, world of warcraft, dota 2 etc. without a mouse on a trackpad.

Never go full retard rofif.
100% they do.
I've got my nephews ps3 and ps4 and a dell notebook (my old one I've bought from work).
Guess where they play fortnite and five nights at freddys ? 5fps on that laptop.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Typically people who spend that much on a gaming PC:
#1 Have an income that can justify that price
#2. Plan on doing more than just gaming on the PC. Editing, content creation, music, graphic design, server hosting
#3. Know that you conveniently left out the largest differences between PC and Consoles. Framerate difference.
#4. Know that PC has the most extensive library across generations. No backwards compatibility program has come even remotely close to what PC offers. You have access to literally all gaming generations from one machine including games that will never come to console.

Let me know when you get your PC.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

This is not right.
It's not Entry thing vs high end thing.
The difference you get in games on ps5/xsx vs pc is not as big as cheap lcd to oled.
The difference is actually debatable and not absolute.

oh btw I have no idea what people have against skoda. Buddy got 2018 octavia and it's really nice. Got everything....
These are just some weird comparisons.
100% I always buy “high end” because I learned early in life when you cheap out quality and that shit breaking needing to be replaced is just dumb. Hence I never cheated out on my PC, at all….. NOT ONE PART. 1000 power supply, i9 9900lk with 280mm cooler,, rtx 2080ti, 32 GB’s o Gail ripjaw memory. Still, underwhelming by a long shot.

rofif

Banned
100% I always buy “high end” because I learned early in life when you cheap out quality and that shit breaking needing to be replaced is just dumb. Hence I never cheated out on my PC, at all….. NOT ONE PART. 1000 power supply, i9 9900lk with 280mm cooler,, rtx 2080ti, 32 GB’s o Gail ripjaw memory. Still, underwhelming by a long shot.
Exactly!. You cheap out on your pc and it will be trash sooner than later.

Krathoon

Dude that was my fave pc gaming time !
I still have win95 and 98 pcs!. Love crt era pc gaming.
Win98 was the janky days of PC gaming. They were still figuring out 3D acceleration. A lot was not standardized.
Games from that era have a certain charm.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Yeah, I didn’t build a 5k GAMING PC to play OoT. I played it on release on N64, and loved it, all time great. Fuck flexibility. I didn’t spend 5k to run retro games nor print shit. I bought a high end GAMING rig, to play the latest amd best games in full glory. I’m sorry, I’m out seeing that. My SX and PS5 do it as well and so
Much easier.

I think you missed the first sentence of my post?

lem0n

It's buying a Prius vs a 911 Turbo. Both do the same job, it's up to the consumer to decide if the extra sauce is worth it to them or not. Doesn't mean the 911 Turbo is dumb. Nor is the Prius for that matter

Krathoon

You can emulate N64 games on a Kindle. It does not take much power. You can also emulate Saturn games and PlayStation games on a Kindle.
The Saturn emulation is kind of buggy. Yaba Sanshiro has not quite nailed it yet.

Some Mame games and PS2 and higher need more powerful machines.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I would argue that a PS1 game can be just as entertaining as a PS5 one.

A well designed game stands the test of time.

Buggy Loop

I like how console fanboys always believe that a PC has to cost $3000.

And that the components have zero resale value. Low end gear typically don’t, but high end typically ages like fine wine and basically the real monetary value out of your pocket is a fraction of the total cost.

Or that PCs are only used for gaming? No cad software for work? Programming? Visual work? Music softwares? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Talk to me when you can play:
- Current gen games at higher frames and graphics
- can play all ur games from PS1 to PS3 at 4k native 60 frames with enhanced graphics
- can play all your Nintendo games from NES to Switch at 4k 60 frames with enhanced graphics
- don't have to pay Sony or MS to play your already purchased 70$ game plus tax online ( whAt a fucking joke )
- Games always cheaper on PC . Even if they are day one release you can find them cheaper on PC.
- no matter what hardware you upgrade in the future you will never lose your backward compatible games

On your 500$ console. If anything I feel sad for the people forking 120$ to Sony just for some PS1 games that you probably already owned and old games that 70% of the time you are not even interested in. Just so u can play online. MS isn't better here mind u, but at least the game pass is actually worth it when they have big hits coming ( like having cheap game pass by the end of the year for 3 months or so when they have big hits ) but Sony ? Absolute joke and just a scam.

Yeah I would rather pay more and invest in a hardware that I actually have control over and way more powerful and functional than a box I can't control shit in it..

To me it's not about money. It's about supporting scam and being part of the problem that making Sony and MS act like shit. Instead of voting with ur wallet like most people did during the PS3 days to the point Sony had to switch everying to be pro consumer again on PS4. Just to be arrogant again with the PS5. ( Or fr Xbox 360 to the shit Xbox one tv and back to the right track with series x/s

PhaseJump

Banned
there are cheaper games on consoles too. there are sales and many retailers here sell new games quite cheap compared to msrp.
Obviously not as cheap as pc and cdkeys but clearly it's unfair acting like everyone puts down 70$ for all games....

I am a pc gamer my whole life but mods have never played that huge role for me. Sure I try mods here and there but I usually just toy around for 15 minutes and that's that.
Nude aloy is fun but cmon. Nobody plays this way. Gta mods are fun to toy around.
But Skyrim? If You mod and play skyrim in 2022 over oblivion or morrowind you are scum of the earth lol (j/k)

You do need to make an argument for graphical superiority. It is not what it used to be few gens go.
Games look mostly identical on all platoforms now. Textures, effects and so on usually are the same and just refined on pc (ultra or better RT).
Sure, resolution or framerate is better but it is not graphical superiority. It's better on pc but you make it sound like its another world

You show up to every thread that mentions PC gaming, arguing for consoles while downplaying PC gaming. Here again, you're downplaying the clear graphical superiority as if it's a "Yeah, but..." no big deal.

You should have followed through with your rage quitting tantrum, console warrior.

Buggy Loop

I would also consider the community's amazing mods not only making nearly virtually every games better, but some of them are so different than the base game that it's quite an experience to miss out on for console players.

Counter-strike (started as mod of Half-Life)
Black Mesa (started as mod of Half-Life 2)
Dota (Started as mod of Warcraft III)
Team Fortress (started as mod of Quake)
Stalker totally different experience from original releases, also Anomaly mod
Patching of fucked up/unfinished games like KOTOR 2, Vampire the masquerade bloodlines
Skywind (skyrim mod)
Enderal Forgotten Stories (Skyrim mod)
Brutal Doom (Doom mod)
The Dark mod (Doom 3 mod)
Garry's mod (Half-Life mod)
Neo-tokyo (Half-Life mod)
The Nameless mod (Deus Ex mod)

Upcoming Half life Alyx mod Levitation

And let's not even mention the sim genre, either racing/flight/space, it's PC.

So i get all Xbox big hitters day 1 now, with a sprinkly of Sony now even too, huge shift in japenese dev support in the past years, the best of sims/strategy, mods that completely change the games and even sparked some of the most played multiplayer games even today, backward compatible, retro gaming monster that emulates PS1/2/3, Nintendo NES to Switch and all retro consoles/arcade that ever existed and best of VR under a box that i still use for work.

"dumb" i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom