• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming just feel kinda dumb!!! tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matsuchezz

Pc doesn't convince me yet, as we still see the same graphical errors present in consoles only at higher framerates. Pop up on detail that is a few meters away. I still have yet to see something truly breathtaking on PC.

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Marchizmo

I'll come out right and say it. PC has far better games . No true RTS or CRPGS on consoles alone is enough to make me back out. Only recently have they started to port good CRPGS to console and playing them like that is such a drag. Not to mention having my entire library online for easy access and if you wanna say "what happens when steam dies and you lose all your games hurrr durr", I'll most likely be dead by the time those servers shut down.

These threads are all the fucking same over and over and over. PC Mustard Race not possibly understanding how somebody could ever prefer something other than a PC and acting better then everybody else, and the console people saying the same shit over and over again and acting like they are better than everybody else.

Both sides are annoying as fuck. Just play games where you want to play games and stop caring where other people play their games. It doesn't affect you.

I think strategy games are boring as fuck, but that doesn't mean other people can't and won't enjoy them.

I definitely understand the enhancements a gaming PC gives but the last thing I ever want to do is fuck with settings, drivers, different storefronts, etc.

I just want to put in a disk, unfortunately download a 30 gig patch and play.

This is making a pretty broad generalization but for me gaming PCs are a young man’s game.

I remember messing with mouse drivers and tinkering fucking everything to get it just right for Doom, Quake, Chasm, etc and yes it is MUCH better now but it’s just not for me.

Happy to finally mostly get 60 FPS on PS5.

Krathoon

I'll come out right and say it. PC has far better games . No true RTS or CRPGS on consoles alone is enough to make me back out. Only recently have they started to port good CRPGS to console and playing them like that is such a drag. Not to mention having my entire library online for easy access and if you wanna say "what happens when steam dies and you lose all your games hurrr durr", I'll most likely be dead by the time those servers shut down.
There will be some kind of workaround if Steam dies. Like emulating the client or something.

Guilty_AI

You can share console disc games. That is something that wins out over PCs.
You can share your pc library most of the time tho. On GOG its even possible to use a single copy to play over LAN in your house assuming the game supports LAN features.

Krathoon

I really wish GoG would let you download your game installers in bulk. Just download everything to an external drive.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I am a pc gamer my whole life but mods have never played that huge role for me. Sure I try mods here and there but I usually just toy around for 15 minutes and that's that.
Frankly i think you're searching for the wrong mods. mods are way more than just nude mods and OP weapons, most mods i think of are total conversions, or essentially free fan made DLC like in the case of Doom the golden souls, or GMod stuff.

Marchizmo

You can share your pc library most of the time tho. On GOG its even possible to use a single copy to play over LAN in your house assuming the game supports LAN features.
Adding on to this, my friends and I have all shared our steam libraries with each other. If you wanna play something you don't own just open the game and unplug your ethernet cable, works like a charm.

Nah, that's a bit extreme. Demand for PC parts is still high and even the used market is getting fairly high prices. My 2080 Super from 2019 is worth about half what I paid for it new. A $3000 rig is the high end and will retain a lot of value for quite some time. Certainly not going to lose 70-75% of its value in two years.
I bought a second hand gaming laptop that originally sold for $2500 about 4 years ago for $500.
Maybe laptops depreciate faster than stand alone GPUs.

Buggy Loop

Isn't the current experience, putting a disk in, installing to HDD/SDD, even like 20ish minutes on the super duper SSD, patching and then playing?
Yea i don't see what's special here. Disk argument made sense before they were required to exist on drive, that's been a long ass time.

I remember messing with mouse drivers and tinkering fucking everything to get it just right for Doom, Quake, Chasm, etc and yes it is MUCH better now but it’s just not for me.

Mouse drivers?

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

I remember hurting my dick like really bad while fucking a girl. I guess i should have stopped sex right there and then.

Krathoon

You can easily share your entire library on pc.
Yeah. I will have to check into that. Never done it.

Edit: It looks like you have to share your whole Steam library. Would have been nice to restrict it down to a few games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
These threads are all the fucking same over and over and over. PC Mustard Race not possibly understanding how somebody could ever prefer something other than a PC and acting better then everybody else, and the console people saying the same shit over and over again and acting like they are better than everybody else.

Both sides are annoying as fuck. Just play games where you want to play games and stop caring where other people play their games. It doesn't affect you.

I think strategy games are boring as fuck, but that doesn't mean other people can't and won't enjoy them.
fallon.gif

Krathoon

Consoles are more accessible than PCs.
That is what is great about PCs. You can really muck around with things and you have a more elaborate interface.

Krathoon

I have this weird thing with my Razer keyboard where the Razer software does not detect the keyboard. I guess it is because it is running through a KVM switch.
It is kind of annoying because I can't adjust the lighting on the keyboard.

buenoblue

Phone, console, tablet - it's all pc anyway 🧠.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno. I play PC with friends when it comes to online gaming like Don't Starve Together and L4D2. But still I game majority on consoles because I don't really want to think of how to set up my PC, what parts to get, etc etc. I just want to boot up my system and play the game without having to do extra adjustments. Must be also my age since I just prefer to chill.

Plus I'm a Mac guy already and I prefer using my Mac, hence I can play very limited selection of games thus my gaming selection for PC (or Mac) is very limited.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I definitely understand the enhancements a gaming PC gives but the last thing I ever want to do is fuck with settings, drivers, different storefronts, etc.

This is making a pretty broad generalization but for me gaming PCs are a young man’s game.

Happy to finally mostly get 60 FPS on PS5.

I can generally get where you're coming from but when your example is mouse drivers from back when you had a beige-cased Pentium II, I mean.....lol.

"And we waited FIF-TEEN minutes on dial up..."

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
OP not banned and thread still open. Yet my thread about GRan Turismo getting replaced by the FIA was closed which was actual news. 🤔🤔🤔
How did i miss that?
Im guessing its Asseto Corsa thats taken its place?
Was there any reason given for GT being dropped.

Once we're inevitably back to 30 fps gaming on consoles I'm building an overly expensive PC and switching back to it. I hope Pro consoles arrive before that happens though.

ClosBSAS

Well, PC may not have the millions in audience, but it has the sustainability consoles don't. In 10 years when god of wars numbers reach 40 million, it won't be because of consoles, it'll be because of PC. Again, you would not have RT if it weren't for PC tech, you would not have VRR if it weren't for PC tech, you would not have SSD if it weren't for PC tech, VR, DLSS, GSYNC, it all begins with PC. Your SSD is good now, it'll be obsolete in a few years while PC keeps evolving and thus the reason why there will be a PS5 pro and a new integration of series x/s.

Devs are after that sustentable market that will keep the money machine going years after the game has released. You can insult PC all you want fact is, without PC you would not have the consoles you have today.

And fact.....PC is a LEGIT threat to your brand.

Also, thinking your naughty dog PS5 game can't run on a PC...lmao. your next naughty dog game will be 30fps...theres the console warrior that defends his way of playing and then there's the console douchebag that believes his brand is above and beyond anything else in the industry and their games are the second coming of Jesus.

Last edited:

Fredrik

If anything I feel sad for the people forking 120$ to Sony just for some PS1 games that you probably already owned and old games that 70% of the time you are not even interested in. Just so u can play online. MS isn't better here mind u, but at least the game pass is actually worth it when they have big hits coming ( like having cheap game pass by the end of the year for 3 months or so when they have big hits ) but Sony ? Absolute joke and just a scam.
PS+ Premium is nice, people are totally sleeping on it. But I only payed $120 to have the service until mid 2024, by stacking PS Now, so I kinda dodged some negativity that way I guess. Not sure what I would think about the service with standard price.

So far I’ve been playing Spider-Man Miles Morales, Returnal, just started Shadow of the Colossus and installed Day’s Gone and Death Stranding. Plus I’ve played a bunch of less impactful games too.
The service has already payed for itself.

However, I wish they had done this earlier though so I could’ve skipped FF7RI which I didn’t like. And the delayed PS+ release schedule will suck in a few months when TLOUp1 and Ragnarök comes out, I probably won’t be able to wait for the PS+ release, makes the service worse over time instead of better.

Topher

Gold Member
I bought a second hand gaming laptop that originally sold for $2500 about 4 years ago for $500.
Maybe laptops depreciate faster than stand alone GPUs.

With a four year old laptop, you are also going back another generation into the GTX 1000 series at that point. You can find a brand new laptop with a RTX 3060 around $1000 on sale right now.

Well brother, half agree, half disagree.

Firstly, every game you listed will come to PC and will run better, I wouldn't die on that hill if I were you. I dont think paying $70 day one is really a privilege you wanna hype up lol The inevitable truth is, it will be cheaper and run better on PC (whenever it launches) and only serves to prove that $70 day one is pretty much a scam.

But I do agree with the over hype of the PC master race. Its always the elites with $3k towers that hype 4k 120fps blah blah and keep forgetting they are in a MAJOR minority of gamers. For 6X the price, I've never seen anything that suggest you get 6 X the quality.

I've been mainly PC gaming for about 2 years now on a GTX 1070 (for reasons, console deaths etc) was pretty much pure console before that(20ish years) besides some RTS and MOBA games. Biggest perk is the insane catalogue of games, you can play anything (including PS exclusives it seems these days) and for real gamer, that is fucking epic. Compounding that perk is the price of games; free games, sales, gamepass etc. It's seriously nuts how cheap PC games are, even at launch. At this point I find it impossible to justify spending 70 on a single game, its absolutely criminal.

BUT! optimization is fucking trash! Whether a game will run or not is a toal roll of the dice, regardless of specs. As a lifelong console gamer, I find that fuckin infuriating. The amount of games I had on console that were so buggy they were unplayable I can count on one hand(most in recent years coz industry standards have gone to the dogs), across decades. With Pc it seems like a common occurrence. Bought Ghostwire Tokyo few days ago, played for 4 hours smooth as butter not a single issue. Quit game, eat, come back, game runs at sub 10 fps. Didnt change settings, specs anything, just quit and reopned and its unplayable. Tried every suggested fix, new game, un/reinstall, etc etc nothing. Look on forums, seems like it happens sometimes, maybe certain grpahics cards, maybe certain UE4 games, so many tiny variables that so hard to account for before buying a game. That was a really stark difference for me switching over from console and the thing I dislike the most about PC.

Edit: Sorry I've realised I can only write essays. I'll see myself out :(

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I know you can do that on Steam, but doing so prevents more than one person from accessing the library at a time. Are there other ways of sharing?

Loaning a game disc to a friend prevents you from accessing your game as well lol.

I’ve never done the family sharing on Steam, but considering you can play games offline - that may not be an issue?

Topher

Gold Member
Loaning a game disc to a friend prevents you from accessing your game as well lol.

I’ve never done the family sharing on Steam, but considering you can play games offline - that may not be an issue?

By loaning a game disc you lose access to that one game, not your entire game library like you do with Steam. I think you have to be online for the sharing to even work.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
By loaning a game disc you lose access to that one game, not your entire game library like you do with Steam. I think you have to be online for the sharing to even work.

I’m not sure of the details. I can’t imagine you lose access to your entire library if someone’s playing one of your games. Maybe you’re right - I don’t know, but now I’m curious.

mcjmetroid

I've said a few times I would love a dedicated console war thread/section. Just no racism or sexist stuff but just a no holds barred banter sesh with maybe a touch of actual discussion. Like I have with my footy mates ripping each other and winding each other up. Would be great.
There was a thread for it before but people don't like doing it in a dedicated thread. It wasn't very popular

Topher

Gold Member
I’m not sure of the details. I can’t imagine you lose access to your entire library if someone’s playing one of your games. Maybe you’re right - I don’t know, but now I’m curious.

Yeah, unfortunately that is the case.

Can I share specific games?
No, libraries are shared in their entirety. You aren't able to select specific games to share or exclude.

Can two users share a library and both play at the same time?
No, a shared library may only be played by one user at a time including the owner and even if they want to play different games.

Tqaulity

(I'm going to regret touching this one 🙄). I could write a book on the topic of PC vs Consoles for gaming and their corresponding experiences....but ultimately it's a matter of preference so I digress.

Some perspective though:

There was a time in the late 1990s/early 2000s where if you were a gamer it made absolutely sense to have a "high end" gaming PC. There were a number of "A-AAA" level games that were exclusive to PC or targeting PC as lead platform that warranted such a purchase. Being console only could result in you legitimately missing out on some killer games/franchises. Games like Doom, Quake, Unreal, Starcraft, Battlefiled, Call of Duty, Warcraft, Half Life, Elder Scrolls, Baldur's Gate and many others fall into this list. Not having a PC meant you would completely miss out on these franchises or have much diminished versions of those games on consoles of the time. Key point here is that these were full A-AAA tier games that often pushed the PC platform in a way that was far beyond what a console could deliver. However, THAT IS NOT THE CASE WITH PCs TODAY. That era effectively ended with the release of the original Crysis (Crysis 2 was downgraded in many ways to be portable to consoles).

Frankly, A-AAA games that are PC exclusive or leads today are virtually non-existent. With all the constant talk about the technical superiority of the PC, the irony is that VAST majority of current PC exclusives do not push the technical envelop and do not require high specs to play. A quick browse on the steam store will display a ton of tiles made by small teams with simple or even retro graphical styles that can run fine on even a PS4 level spec nevermind PS5. The most played games on Steam remain games built on older engines that run exceedingly well on even a PC from 5 years ago (Counter Strike, Dota 2, PUBG, Apex, GTA V etc). For the games that are A-AAA, nearly all of them at this point are console lead developed, cross-gen engines with Xbox One/PS4 level spec (or older) in mind. That said, the quality delta between a PS5/Series X and a high end PC today is still much smaller than it was ~20 years ago. Other than accelerated performance in terms of frame rate and some slightly lower settings that are often not even noticeable aside from direct A/B comparisons, the console sku of games are virtually identical in design and content to PC skus and are perfectly intact renditions of the developers' original vision. Now compare that to what the delta would have looked like back in 2000: console skus would be missing content due to memory constraints (fewer levels, smaller worlds, fewer characters, less weapons/items, completely different UI due to input differences, often missing or limited online, and graphics that absolutely paled in comparison to high end PCs in every respect (we're talking what would now be called a generational gap). And not just pixel counts and framerates. We're talking lighting, textures, geometry, shading, and IQ all being in a completely different league. Case in point:

Unreal Tournament PC
3145.jpg

Unreal Tournament PS2
images

And this is from one of the most praised PC ports on PS2 at the time :messenger_unamused:

Topher

Gold Member
(I'm going to regret touching this one 🙄). I could write a book on the topic of PC vs Consoles for gaming and their corresponding experiences....but ultimately it's a matter of preference so I digress.

Some perspective though:

There was a time in the late 1990s/early 2000s where if you were a gamer it made absolutely sense to have a "high end" gaming PC. There were a number of "A-AAA" level games that were exclusive to PC or targeting PC as lead platform that warranted such a purchase. Being console only could result in you legitimately missing out on some killer games/franchises. Games like Doom, Quake, Unreal, Starcraft, Battlefiled, Call of Duty, Warcraft, Half Life, Elder Scrolls, Baldur's Gate and many others fall into this list. Not having a PC meant you would completely miss out on these franchises or have much diminished versions of those games on consoles of the time. Key point here is that these were full A-AAA tier games that often pushed the PC platform in a way that was far beyond what a console could deliver. However, THAT IS NOT THE CASE WITH PCs TODAY. That era effectively ended with the release of the original Crysis (Crysis 2 was downgraded in many ways to be portable to consoles).

Frankly, A-AAA games that are PC exclusive or leads today are virtually non-existent. With all the constant talk about the technical superiority of the PC, the irony is that VAST majority of current PC exclusives do not push the technical envelop and do not require high specs to play. A quick browse on the steam store will display a ton of tiles made by small teams with simple or even retro graphical styles that can run fine on even a PS4 level spec nevermind PS5. The most played games on Steam remain games built on older engines that run exceedingly well on even a PC from 5 years ago (Counter Strike, Dota 2, PUBG, Apex, GTA V etc). For the games that are A-AAA, nearly all of them at this point are console lead developed, cross-gen engines with Xbox One/PS4 level spec (or older) in mind. That said, the quality delta between a PS5/Series X and a high end PC today is still much smaller than it was ~20 years ago. Other than accelerated performance in terms of frame rate and some slightly lower settings that are often not even noticeable aside from direct A/B comparisons, the console sku of games are virtually identical in design and content to PC skus and are perfectly intact renditions of the developers' original vision. Now compare that to what the delta would have looked like back in 2000: console skus would be missing content due to memory constraints (fewer levels, smaller worlds, fewer characters, less weapons/items, completely different UI due to input differences, often missing or limited online, and graphics that absolutely paled in comparison to high end PCs in every respect (we're talking what would now be called a generational gap). And not just pixel counts and framerates. We're talking lighting, textures, geometry, shading, and IQ all being in a completely different league. Case in point:

Unreal Tournament PC
3145.jpg

Unreal Tournament PS2
images

And this is from one of the most praised PC ports on PS2 at the time :messenger_unamused:

Pretty much why I didn't start gaming on console until PS3. Console games looked horrible to me back then. Well that and playing a FPS with a controller wasn't appealing at all (still isn't). But you are right. It isn't like that these days. Console versions of games are not that much different except for those looking for extremely high frame rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom