• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC GPU shipments drop 35% Year over Year

ahtlas7

I think in general people just start to get tired of nvidia and amd. As a PC gamer myself i am done with the constant bullshit from both of them. Shipping gpu's with just to litle v-ram to sell the next card, making dlss exclusive features, half baked performance in games with bad launches etc etc. Price hikes. At some point people will just not care anymore.
Completely right. I use to be obsessed with tech news regarding graphics cards, but, I gave that up about 6 months ago because I realized it’s a scam with over priced performance increases and these tech shows were just convincing me I needed the new tech. I got my head out of chasing tech and now I’m happy with the overpriced card I currently have.

DaGwaphics

it’s still incredibly hard to find a 4090 FE at MSRP. Did they just stop making them?

That was the one GPU they released with a solid gen over gen improvement at that price point. I'd say that is probably a case of limited production (because they can only sell so many GPUs at this price) and proper demand for the cards produced.

In the end the GPU makers will shrink the PC gaming market, something they will probably regret if the AI bubble bursts on them.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Nvidia and AMD are killing the market for discrete graphics cards with the constant price increases and lackluster performance improvements. Will they ever learn?
I think the market realities shifted rather abruptly and late in the productization process this gen. A year ago people were paying $1500 for used 3070Tis, and today they're indignant about paying $800 for something with double that power.

DaGwaphics

I think the market realities shifted rather abruptly and late in the productization process this gen. A year ago people were paying $1500 for used 3070Tis, and today they're indignant about paying $800 for something with double that power.

Crypto miners were paying $1500 for 3070ti cards, gamers not so much. Thus, why prices plummeted as soon as the crypto demand vanished. Though you'll always have a few idiots (cut from the same cloth as the small number of people that paid 1k+ for their PS5/XSX), but never enough to make a real market.

Leonidas

Prices will drop significantly very soon
Market is overflooded with gpu's and prices starting to collapse
I doubt it. AMD last gen mid range GPU's are already ~30-40% off, maybe those could drop to 40-50% off?

Nvidia last gen cards seem to be dropping to be in line with their current gen performance (3070 performs like a $399 4060 Ti, you can now pick up the 3070 for as low as $399 on Newegg).

Most current gen Nvidia GPUs are selling well. Well enough that the 4060 Laptop, 4070, 4070 Ti, 4080 and 4090 all made it to the Steam hardware survey. It's been 7 months since launch and no RDNA3 GPUs made the list...

Nvidia still has ~85% of the dGPU market despite AMD last gen cards being sold at 30-40% off for a while now, what reason does Nvidia have to drop price?

Last edited:

Leonidas

Despite PC gamers being the main source of revenue for many years, and the reason why nvidia exists at all, we are now treated like scum.
At least Nvidia improved price/performance at each tier. At least Nvidia launched a full stack of GPUs. At least Nvidia gave gamer's features that make things like path tracing possible on GPUs of today.

AMD is treating the consumer like scum, it's already 7 months after launch and their mid-range options are all 3 year old last gen cards.
And the 7600 barely slotted in price/performance wise in line with the 30-40% discounted RDNA2 cards.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
At least Nvidia improved price/performance at each tier. At least Nvidia launched a full stack of GPUs. At least Nvidia gave gamer's features that make things like path tracing possible on GPUs of today.

AMD is treating the consumer like scum, it's already 7 months after launch and their mid-range options are all 3 year old last gen cards.
And the 7600 barely slotted in price/performance wise in line with the 30-40% discounted RDNA2 cards.

You always make it a AMD vs NVidia thing. And fail to realize we, the gamers, are getting screw over by both companies.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why are you even looking for a FE? The $1599 Asus TUF adds a second HDMI 2.1 and significatly more robust cooler for the same price.

Seems quite a bit bigger and runs with more power.

I already have a 4080FE but I’m tempted to upgrade

Leonidas

You always make it a AMD vs NVidia thing. And fail to realize we, the gamers, are getting screw over by both companies.
I was just pointing out AMD is as bad, if not worse, while you only stated Nvidia treats customers like scum.

I don't hold that opinion. Nvidia makes the best GPUs, their premium is justified.

If people want cheap cards they should buy 30-40% discounted RDNA2 and Arc cards.

If people want the best cards available today, they should buy 40-series. And that's what seems to be happening given that Nvidia still has 85% share.

winjer

Gold Member
I was just pointing out AMD is as bad, if not worse, while you only stated Nvidia treats customers like scum.

I don't hold that opinion. Nvidia makes the best GPUs, their premium is justified.

If people want cheap cards they should buy 30-40% discounted RDNA2 and Arc cards.

If people want the best cards available today, they should buy 40-series. And that's what seems to be happening given that Nvidia still has 85% share.

that's because you are a huge nvidia fanboy, are constantly trying to defend the company, even at it's worst.

Leonidas

that's because you are a huge nvidia fanboy, are constantly trying to defend the company, even at it's worst.
How am I an Nvidia fanboy? My last build was an AMD CPU. I've used AMD GPUs in the past before RT was a thing, but ever since RT came about it never made sense for me to buy an AMD card.
That doesn't make me a fanboy. I am just someone who enjoys turning up settings like RT and enjoy good 1440p upscaling in games... doesn't make one a fanboy to like something that is better in certain ways.

There is not a single thread about hardware where you don't try to defend nvidia and trash AMD.
And once again, you do the same on this thread.
I'm not defending Nvidia, I just don't hold your belief that they are somehow scum for offering better price/performance at each tier...
Where have I trashed AMD? I try to stick to the facts.

And it's not just GPUs. Even on the CPU front, where AMD is doing great, you are constantly trashing the company for no reason.
AMD CPUs are fine, I've used multiple AMD CPUs in recent builds... I never trashed AMD CPUs. Many years ago, around the Zen2 launch I did say Zen2 was slower in gaming than 9900K though, and that was true... I also called out AMD on boost-gate where Zen2 didn't reach it's stated clocks at launch... I also called them out when they almost didn't support my X470 board with Zen3 (which they eventually reversed the decision) and then proceeded to buy a Zen3 CPU... how is that trashing?

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
How am I an Nvidia fanboy? My last build was an AMD CPU. I've used AMD GPUs in the past before RT was a thing, but ever since RT came about it never made sense for me to buy an AMD card.
That doesn't make me a fanboy. I am just someone who enjoys turning up settings like RT in games...

There is not a single thread about hardware where you don't try to defend nvidia and trash AMD.
And it's not just GPUs. Even on the CPU front, where AMD is doing great, you are constantly trashing the company for no reason.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Crypto miners were paying $1500 for 3070ti cards, gamers not so much. Thus, why prices plummeted as soon as the crypto demand vanished. Though you'll always have a few idiots (cut from the same cloth as the small number of people that paid 1k+ for their PS5/XSX), but never enough to make a real market.
Right, both crypto and silicon shortages were distorting market values, but these products are more or less nailed down a year or so in advance, and nVidia couldn't have had a great sense of what that market would be. They hedged on it being somewhat inflated still and positioned their cards accordingly.

This doesn't excuse having an awful mainstream card in the 4060Ti or some of the VRAM and bandwidth controversies but I. Terms of the silicon I think they painted themselves into a corner. The upper tier cards are good they're just too expensive.

theclaw135

Banned

At the high-end, Nvidia is nearly unchallenged. AMD has few offerings in the market for desktop GPUs over $1000.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Have they even put out any lower end cpus until recently? And those we’re overpriced

DaGwaphics

Right, both crypto and silicon shortages were distorting market values, but these products are more or less nailed down a year or so in advance, and nVidia couldn't have had a great sense of what that market would be. They hedged on it being somewhat inflated still and positioned their cards accordingly.

This doesn't excuse having an awful mainstream card in the 4060Ti or some of the VRAM and bandwidth controversies but I. Terms of the silicon I think they painted themselves into a corner. The upper tier cards are good they're just too expensive.

They basically always have the technological advantage, I agree. The cards themselves are solid, they just shifted them to the wrong price tiers. The 4060ti would be a lot more forgivable as the $299 4060, still would not be lighting the world on fire, but would be serviceable. Essentially if you shift everything down one naming convention and price point you'd have an amazing lineup.

draliko

I don't want to buy another gpu (currently gpuless since I sold my 3080 when prices were crazy) being a multiplat console gamer was good, but going forward I see less and less reasons to own both consoles and tie me to their ecosystem... Still 800€ for a 4070ti or a 7900xt seems simply wrong... On one side I want to get back to pc gaming and consolidate everything on steam (I had consoles refreshes in the past and really didn't do the trick for me) on the other I know probably the best would be to wait some more... I don't think those prices gonna stay so high in the future

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
The main reason is that if you bought a mid-/high-end GPU 3-5 years back, it will still work very well today and be able to run just about anything.
There's just not much of a reason to upgrade.

I just bought a whole new PC about half a year back and I do not think I'll get a new GPU for at least the next 3-4 years, if not longer.

The tech advancement race has thankfully slowed down a lot compared to 10 years ago.

SF Kosmo

The main reason is that if you bought a mid-/high-end GPU 3-5 years back, it will still work very well today and be able to run just about anything.
There's just not much of a reason to upgrade.
That's always true more or less. For CPUs as well. Who would want to spend $600+ on a card that wouldn't keep up 2 years later?

This is even more true of CPUs. I remember back in the 90s and early aughts wanting to upgrade my CPU every two years, but how you can easily go 5 or 6 without worrying.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Tomshardware is showing the graph we all want to see:

evALL7g.png

With people rejecting the RX7600 and 4060/Ti, I can only see this going downward. Perhaps with the recent price cuts on the RTX30 and RDNA2 cards they're selling a bit more, but these numbers are terrible and they know it. AMD probably hasn't been in such a bad shape in over a decade (I'd guess their low-end is now fully replaced by APUs but stil..), and Nvidia's post launch numbers are worse Ampere's.

AMD and Nvidia's flex over consumers to permanently increase the value perception of graphics cards must fail for our sake. These are good news in my book.

Intel apparently failed to sell more than 650k lifetime units of their ARC GPUs. It really is time to press on the A770 16GB to get decent numbers moving. 16GB GDDR6 is now going for less than $55, they can probably sell that card for $250 and still make a decent amount of money.

How am I an Nvidia fanboy?
Literally no one believes you're not. There's not one single GPU discussion where you don't participate exclusively to act as one and blatantly so.
Might as well just stop the façade at this point.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
As a PC only player I'm glad the GPU price madness happened shortly after AAA turned to shit.

Indies and older games is where it's at nowadays. Graphics of 10 years ago are more than enough. The point of deminishing returns has been reached, GPUs need huge amounts of power for tiny increases towards the direction of uncanny valley. No thanks I'll play games that focus their resources on the game and less on "cutting edge" graphics. If I want extreme 4K graphics with ray-tracing and 240 fps I go outside.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
PC gaming self-regulating? Amazon cuts GPU prices, probably because AIBs, AMD and Nvidia are refusing themselves? Is this a clearance play? Hmmm... Building a PS5 equivalent PC isn't much more expensive anymore... around 600 it is possible at this point

Top Bottom