• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC GPU shipments drop 35% Year over Year

winjer

Gold Member

New data reveals that the fourth quarter of 2022 saw a 35% YoY decrease in PC GPU shipments. This can be attributed to the declining demand for personal computers, which resulted in a sales decline of CPUs in the same period.

As most client systems feature integrated graphics, the sales of GPUs also dropped. The research estimates that 64.2 million discrete and integrated GPUs in total were sold in the last quarter, representing a 15.4% decline sequentially and a 38% decrease YoY.

While Nvidia launched expensive GPUs in the form of the GeForce RTX 4080 and 4090, AMD introduced its Radeon RX 7900 XT/XTX boards very late in the quarter. Sales of discrete desktop GPUs did not grow significantly compared to the previous quarter. Furthermore, shipments of notebook GPUs declined by 43% in Q4 2022, while sales of desktop GPUs dropped by 24% quarter-over-quarter.

Intel experienced the most significant decline in both CPU and GPU sales during the period, reflecting the fact that it is the world's largest processor supplier. Despite this, it maintained its position as the world's largest GPU vendor with a 71% market share. Nvidia came in second with a 17% share, while AMD's share remained at around 12%, a historical low for the company. AMD and Nvidia were able to slightly increase their market share from Q3 at Intel's expense.

Jon Peddie, president of JPR, said, "This quarter's total graphics processor shipments (integrated/embedded and discrete) decreased an astounding -15.3% from the previous quarter, contributing to a decline in the historical 10-year average rate of 6.8%. A total of 64 million units were shipped in the quarter, which was a decrease of -38.5 million units from the same quarter a year ago, indicating the GPU market is negative on a year-to-year basis."

Time to increase prices, again...
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

T4keD0wN

35% feels really low. Ive assumed a much larger percentage was being bought by miners before.

Id be surprised if GPU vendors arent forced to slash the prices to half by the same time next year.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's morphing into a cult.

There's no cult. I bet most people aware of Nvidia also is openly critical to their business practice (and I can't remember seeing anyone being open arms about Jensen..). I know I am. But the dilemma is obviously that no matter how much we dislike it, they still pretty much have the best tech and products..

Well, theres nothing to use the gpus with. And this is coming from a 4070TI owner. Atomic Heart runs perfect on most pc's and was supposed to be the visual masterpiece that one would buy a gpu with it, but they dropped the RT support. Hogwarts Legacy without RT runs pretty damn good so again, whats the point of upgrading? Looks just as any other open world released years ago, nothing next-gen about it. What else am I missing? Plague Tale? Returnal? Honestly, looking at what we're gonna get in terms of big budget games this year, aka fucking NOTHING besides MAYBE Starfield, why would one buy a gpu? Years ago we had tons of reasons for upgrading, we had Crysis to push the gpus forward, we had Stacraft 2 or other strategy games to push the CPU's forward. These days we are dry as hell. No wonder the majority of PC gamers on steam at least are still with 1x and 2x gpus.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
35% feels really low. Ive assumed a much larger percentage was being bought by miners before.

Id be surprised if GPU vendors arent forced to slash the prices to half by the same time next year.

Well, it was a 38% drop for discrete GPUs.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Good, hit em where it hurts. Prices are insane but PC gamers with even 2013/2014 GPUs can still game pretty well. Crazy longevity. I mean, a GPU like the 7970ghz must still run modern games at 1080p 30 FPS high settings. If you are fine gaming like that, why would you upgrade?

11 year old GPU still has it.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Time to increase prices, again...
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF
Data centre focus + buzz word features you use to attract your whales and then charge them as much as you can afford them. Profits is the goal, not revenue or units sold… I do hope this changes though…

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Overpriced new hardware mingled with older hardware that with the exception of AMD, hasn’t dropped in price.

The value doesn’t exist.

To make matters worse we’re expected to spend $1k+ on a new card only to experience performance below what we should be getting. Developers don’t have the time/knowledge/care to put out a product that makes good use of our GPUs. They want DLSS3 to make up for their shitty work.

Buggy Loop

I mean, COVID GPU craze is not normal GPU market either.

This feels like the Turing gen, peoples bought Pascal en masses and didn’t see a reason to upgrade the gen after. Peoples went crazy with Ampere and they (and me) don’t see much logic to upgrade yet. So Pascal seem to have made an oscillating pattern in the market by raising the number of PC users who will upgrade roughly at the same gen. It’s like peoples stopping on highways that create super long slowdowns even though the event is 20 mins gone.

There used to be a time before where you could pick a GPU at the store without bots and sitting outside for a day. I want more of that, less fucking craze

Top Bottom