• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC GPU shipments drop 35% Year over Year

lukilladog

not-enough-batman.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
you meant Nvidia and AMD
They've both already received the message.

Consoles are still selling despite both Jimbo and Phil increasing prices. The PC market has rejected higher prices and its only a matter of time the console market does the same. At some point, you run out of people willing to pay these ridiculous prices for gaming toys.

Irobot82

No wonder we don't get the mind-blowing games on PC nowadays then. Wow!
I would also note, these steam survey's also probably aren't the most accurate. Technically every user in a PC cafe has the chance to report on a survey, thus repeating the number of entries for the same config.

A.Romero

The bold ones are the answers.

If crappy pc ports was the reason, then pc gaming would have died 15 years ago

At least I'm speaking for myself: I'm running a 3070 right now and have no intention of upgrading because it doesn't seem current games really need it.

Maybe the 5000 series...

ACESHIGH

Banned
Just had a look at the Steam Hardware survey.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

The top 10 graphics cards make up for more than 40% of total. Among those, only 2 are below an xbox series S which is the bare minimum for next gen GPU wise: GTX 1050ti and GTX 1650. All the rest either, match next gen consoles, match the series S or are over next gen console specs. 65% of PC gamers have GPUs with 6 GB VRAM or more.

60% of PC gamers have CPUs with 6 cores or more. 70% of PC gamers have 16 GB RAM or more.

If anything, this shows that PC gamers for the most part have been ready for next gen for at least 3 to 4 years. Also they don't have much reason to upgrade if they want to game at console quality settings and FPS at least for a while.

There's a batch of PC gamers that will have to upgrade to play next gen games though. But how about a reason to upgrade? How many must have next gen only games have been released, and in particular games that would be interesting for a PC gamer? Not many from what I am seeing. None of the first batch of next gen games available on PC could be classified as a killer app (Ghostwhire Tokyo, The Medium, Forspoken, Returnal and more)

I think Starfield should be the game that will make PC gamers upgrade. Maybe something like Demons Souls on PC, although if its more inline with the PC port of Returnal the game should be able to run in old PCs as well as long as they have enough RAM.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

A 4070ti is just as often closer to $1000 than it is to it's msrp. Not helped by dickwagging in communities that call that a mid-tier. It's discouraging for people looking to get into it and don't know better.
Yep, it's crazy that we got to a point where a $900 - $1000 GPU is "mid-tier". Basically, WTF. No wonder sales are falling.

At the same time you can pick up PS5 or XSX for almost half the price and that will be the entire console.

Chiggs

The PC gaming market is truly good and fucked. I know a lot of people want to deny it, but the writing is on the wall for power-hungry X86 processors and GPUs.

The future is ARM...even if you can't see it.

By the way, I own a 7950X and an RTX 4090, so don't tell me I'm some pissant console peasant with an axe to grind.

Last edited:

MikeM

The PC gaming market is truly good and fucked. I know a lot of people want to deny it, but the writing is on the wall for power-hungry X86 processors and GPUs.

By the way, I own a 7950X and an RTX 4090, so don't tell me I'm some pissant console peasant with an axe to grind.
I’m a console peasant. With a 7900xt PC lol

In saying that, there are low powered silicon options that provide good performance. Its the high end that is getting absurd on both the cpu and gpu side.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I am still using my 1080GTX. It still runs current games pretty well. Hogwarts Legacy works.

Gotham Knights runs great.

I got a 3060 RTX I need to swap in. More of a side grade.

Mr.Phoenix

PC OEMs are their own worst enemies. literally pricing their own market out of relevance.

A certain fucker actually said consumers have to readjust expectations with regard to pricing. That was the day I decided I would never buy another Nvidia product again.

Mr.Phoenix

The top 10 graphics cards make up for more than 40% of total. Among those, only 2 are below an xbox series S which is the bare minimum for next gen GPU wise: GTX 1050ti and GTX 1650. All the rest either, match next gen consoles, match the series S or are over next gen console specs. 65% of PC gamers have GPUs with 6 GB VRAM or more.

60% of PC gamers have CPUs with 6 cores or more. 70% of PC gamers have 16 GB RAM or more.

If anything, this shows that PC gamers for the most part have been ready for next gen for at least 3 to 4 years. Also they don't have much reason to upgrade if they want to game at console quality settings and FPS at least for a while.
Hate to break it to you, but it doesn't work that way.

hlm666

replaced by the 3060 and 3060ti
It seems to have happened, the 1650 and 1060 on steam have mobile and desktop numbers rolled into 1 number where the 3060 has 2 entries for desktop and mobile. Combing the 3060 numbers makes it the most popular gpu on steam.

supernova8

Banned
Where are GPU shipments compared to before the pandemic and crypto boom, though? If still above then I see no reason why (especially considering inflation) GPU prices will go down that much.

Besides, we (collectively) have demonstrated to uncle Jensen that we're willing to pay crazy prices for his products.

DaGwaphics

There's a batch of PC gamers that will have to upgrade to play next gen games though. But how about a reason to upgrade? How many must have next gen only games have been released, and in particular games that would be interesting for a PC gamer? Not many from what I am seeing. None of the first batch of next gen games available on PC could be classified as a killer app (Ghostwhire Tokyo, The Medium, Forspoken, Returnal and more)

I think Starfield should be the game that will make PC gamers upgrade. Maybe something like Demons Souls on PC, although if its more inline with the PC port of Returnal the game should be able to run in old PCs as well as long as they have enough RAM.

It never works out that way though. The consoles will be mined for every ounce of potential they have and you'll have games released that require cards on PC that are noticeably more powerful than the console specs.

Look at the old hd7850 (roughly equivalent to a PS4) trying to run God of War well below the original console settings (and at just 720p and lower in parts of the vid):

It ain't pretty. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The 7870 that was a bit more powerful than the PS4 doesn't do too much better.

With that said though, I completely agree with you regarding a lot of PC gamers hanging on to the hardware they have in response to the current prices. It's actually kind of crazy how well the 480/580 8GB and the 1060 6GB hung on as far as passable results. Even today they can probably hang in that at 30fps.

Last edited:

hlm666

Where are GPU shipments compared to before the pandemic and crypto boom, though? If still above then I see no reason why (especially considering inflation) GPU prices will go down that much.

Besides, we (collectively) have demonstrated to uncle Jensen that we're willing to pay crazy prices for his products.
The last quarter they have dropped below the shipment numbers from before covid, pretty substantially aswell. I'm talking dgpu here no one gives a shit about igpu who wants to play games.

YcuSwHioSB7dWW3Njx3GoS-1200-80.png.webp

Last edited:

hinch7

We just need one or two good mid range SKU's nearer to Ampere/RDNA 2 prices and they will fly off shelves.

But AMD/Nvidia seem contempt with low volume, high profit sales.. And people happy buying current cards at silly prices. So here we are..

Wonder how much damage this strategy will do them though in the long run.

Last edited:
Maybe, just maybe, more people would buy at higher prices if there was software to justify the spend.

Slapping a console port on PC and adding 'bells and whistles' sliders is not worth the extra money. Go back to making games exclusive to high end rigs again and you'll see said popularity of high end rigs skyrocket

supernova8

Banned
The last quarter they have dropped below the shipment numbers from before covid, pretty substantially aswell. I'm talking dgpu here no one gives a shit about igpu who wants to play games.
Interesting... well I guess if they're selling GPUs for significantly more (ie higher ASP) then they might be willing to forego some volume.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
High prices.
Uncertain economic context.
Crappy PC ports.
Downfall of crypto mining.

I don't think their analysts are surprised.
Crypto became a prime market driver, and when it wasn't anymore it was far too late to steer away. It takes years of planning for these cards to come out.

Manufactures will eventually shift back to targeting reasonable prices for.gamers but it won't happen before next gen.

Rival

Gold Member
Doesn’t probably help that the only logical upgrade (4090) for a large portion of users (3080, 3080ti, 3090, 3090ti) costs $1600 or whatever it is.

hlm666

Interesting... well I guess if they're selling GPUs for significantly more (ie higher ASP) then they might be willing to forego some volume.
nvidia next financials will be interesting, the other drop in that chart late 18 early 19 was when they released turing and increased prices. If revenue isn't down in gaming the prices are probably here to stay and mining can't be blamed this time.

poodaddy

Gold Member
nvidia next financials will be interesting, the other drop in that chart late 18 early 19 was when they released turing and increased prices. If revenue isn't down in gaming the prices are probably here to stay and mining can't be blamed this time.
Not necessarily. Increased retail might have compensated for a drop in shipments, that's true, but inflation has gotten substantially worse as of late and will get worse before it gets better. 35% is bad enough to get investors' attention, and even if increased retail compensated, Nvidia might have to course correct to prevent that 35 from turning into 45 next fiscal year. All things equal, if nothing changes on price and inflation gets worse, and it will, Nvidia's shipments will be even lower in 2023.

Imtjnotu

$999+ for a stutter fuck fest of a port......

this is why the market for PC gamers is tumbling down hill like a paraplegic in a one wheeled wheel chair

Andrenicks

Neo Member
It is not only a matter of (crazy) prices but also of consumption. A lot of people don't want to change power supplies when they change their gpu, and a lot of users have supermarket PCs with crappy power supplies. I as a PC user for 20 years refuse to put a mid-range gpu in the case that consumes 250w, when a 1060 consumed 120w. When a mid-range gpu comes out with HUMAN power consumption and fair prices then maybe I will change it.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I don't think the article manages to explain properly how much of a fuck up this latest quarter of GPU releases has been.
Tomshardware published Jon Peddie's total GPU shipments and it looks actually worse.

It's especially bad if we consider the shipment numbers together with GPU releases that usually boost the shipments by a lot.
I compared the GPU shipments with GPU releases:

iI2XXu5.jpg

The last time there ever was a quarter with simultaneous AMD and Nvidia GPU releases was in Q3-Q4 2019, where the GPU business saw an initial boost of 42%.
With the Polaris and GTX10 launches there was a 38% increase. With the refreshes of those cards (not even new gens) there was a 32% increase.

The RX70 and RTX40 released simultaneously and all they could manage was a 7.7% increase. That's less than a quarter of the next-worst case for the Polaris and Pascal refreshes.

Couple that with the fact that both companies are probably shipping a lot more GPUs for laptops and workstations (largely unaffected by the 2nd had market) than they were 6 years ago, also with Intel entering the market, and the discrete consumer GPU numbers for both AMD and Nvidia have to be abysmal.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

So....you've look onto Apple prices of their computers? It is not like it gets cheaper, than "legacy tech".

I do have their M1 OG Macbook and it is quite good, I would just need to have more RAM and for that I would have to pay absolutely deranged prices.

Chiggs

So....you've look onto Apple prices of their computers? It is not like it gets cheaper, than "legacy tech".

I do have their M1 OG Macbook and it is quite good, I would just need to have more RAM and for that I would have to pay absolutely deranged prices.

Apple isn’t the full answer for reasons you’ve pointed out, but where they’re moving is where the PC industry needs to go if it wants to compete. X86 needs to die; it’s holding back a lot in the name of archaic compatibility that nobody gives a shit about.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yep, it's crazy that we got to a point where a $900 - $1000 GPU is "mid-tier". Basically, WTF. No wonder sales are falling.

At the same time you can pick up PS5 or XSX for almost half the price and that will be the entire console.

This makes me want Valve to return to the Steam Machine concept.

Give me an all in one box at a reasonable price that can play the latest PC games well. Better yet developers can optimize specifically for a single Steam Machine configuration the way they would a console.
That could help eliminate the stuttering these expensive ass cards still suffer with.

yamaci17

It never works out that way though. The consoles will be mined for every ounce of potential they have and you'll have games released that require cards on PC that are noticeably more powerful than the console specs.

Look at the old hd7850 (roughly equivalent to a PS4) trying to run God of War well below the original console settings (and at just 720p and lower in parts of the vid):

It ain't pretty. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The 7870 that was a bit more powerful than the PS4 doesn't do too much better.

With that said though, I completely agree with you regarding a lot of PC gamers hanging on to the hardware they have in response to the current prices. It's actually kind of crazy how well the 480/580 8GB and the 1060 6GB hung on as far as passable results. Even today they can probably hang in that at 30fps.

I debunked this shit at least 5 times on this forum and at this point I'm quite tired of it. THOSE GPUs only have tiny 2 GB VRAM buffer that causes huge performance drops even at lowest settings. It has nothing to do with "MuH cONSOlE oPTimizATiON"

even the modern cards such as 3070 WILL TANK once they run out of VRAM. and YOUwill always run out of vram regardless of settings and reoslutions on 2 GB tiny buffer with modern games (2017+)

see how 2080ti is literally 1.7x faster than 3070 when it tanks due to VRAM

look how the 2 gigs 960 TANKS to 20 fps avg. from being capable of 50 fps avg. due to VRAM BUFFER

stop using 2 GB VRAM buffer cards as a comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom