• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC is finally the golden standard for gaming

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Yup. Especially looking at OP's post, why he thinks this is a golden age. Because of use of simplicity ? Or ports of console games ? He thinks consoles had the best games before ? There was never a second where i ever, in my entire life, thought consoles had the better games. Near every single gaming genre we play today was invented on PC and near every game today is a descendant of a pc game. I remember, at the beggining of 2004, in a local magazine, reading the review for Beyond Good and Evil. It was 3 pages long, because reviews in magazines then werent half a page at the back of the magazine like they are today in Edge or Game Informer. And the first page of the review was the guy just trying to tell us hey guys (it was a pc only magazine), i know you all think console games are childish and simplistic and hate the mere sound of a console game, but really, give this a try, its quite good. Thats how console games were seen.

The golden age was the period where the foundation for everything today was layed out by PC gaming, not now. Its not a golden age because there are a lot of multiplatform games, it was a goldenage when there were a ton of PC taylored games that were the very best in the world

Gaming was not “invented” on pc, but consoles (home entertainment systems). Console gaming is older then pc gaming. All those systems from back in the early 80’s were console based systems.

Pc gaming started in the late 80’s and 90’s.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
It seems some users are saying PC gaming is in a bad spot because it has no AAA exclusives and i get that, but i dont mind it at all, because FUCK exclusives.

I think PC is good not because exclusives or graphics, but because of its multi purpose.
You can have a big library of games from old generations back, you can emulate consoles and nintendo, you can install tons of great mods, you can use it for video editing, making programs, doing all sort of stuff, and the online is free.
That's the appeal and not some 955352 framerates or ultra 61k with ray tracing, or some AAAAAA exclusive that has real life graphics.
But if you want some exclusives there is some, games like Alyx and the remake of HL1 Black Mesa and some indie games, but that's not really important to me.
I would love old PC centric devs to make games again but i would want them to release them (probably 1 year later) to console so they get a good port too.
Divinity OS2 and Disco Elysium were PC exclusives and they were ported to consoles and now can be enjoyed by all gamers.

I agree only with the point of PC centric devs doing less games not because of exclusivity but because we need more awesome games, and sadly those companies either died or became soulless cookie cutter product machines.
Generally as a gaming enthusiast you would want to own at least 2 platforms, preferably 3.
The users who are screaming about those AAA games would lose their exclusives to pc soon.
So they really don't have any AAA exclusives.

Dutchy

Very well said, and that's fair. There are a lot of GAFers here willing to help. (Myself included, even though my specialized knowledge with these things is minimal.) It's actually thanks to GAF that I became a primarily PC player.

But otherwise... If this is going to be a debate on the merits of the platforms, I guess I was lamenting that some of the anti-PC arguments were made either in ignorance or in bad faith. That's all.
Glad we were able to sort this out. Sorry if I came off as irritable or anything.

Mercador

PC gaming is great but Windows is not. Each time I want to play on my TV, I have to reset my sound output to my tv. Same when I want to start a GPU game on the TV, it's a pain. Come on Microsoft, do it for Gamepass.

kingfey

Banned
I remember fighting with my pc. Everytime I upgraded windows, or get windows, I get all kind of shit. Game no sound. Game has no video.
Go to the wiki, YouTube, and all the guides that were available.

Pc experience now is tolerable. No issues so far, aside of having to update the direct x, and the visual packages.

I envy the new pc gamers. They get to enjoy easier windows experience.

kingfey

Banned
PC gaming is great but Windows is not. Each time I want to play on my TV, I have to reset my sound output to my tv. Same when I want to start a GPU game on the TV, it's a pain. Come on Microsoft, do it for Gamepass.
For some reason, my pc sound on my monitor is too quiet. But once I change it to my ps5 output, the sound is too much, that I have to make it to 50%.

Windows is annoying in that regard.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am currently playing quite a lot of VR games, they are finally getting good. But for my other need, I am sticking to console.

PhaseJump

Banned
Nope, the value proposition is still way worse (unless you buy a ton of brand new games) and the UX for a couch gamer is still really bad.

I mean, it is the gold standard but it’s not “worth it” objectively speaking. Even if I could get a PC that’s the same as a PS5 for the price (I can’t) I wouldn’t choose Steam prices + experience over the PS5 ecosystem right now. Maybe if I was sitting at a desk?

The one thing PC has is better VR options, but again the cost is just so high and PSVR2 is coming.

Steam Deck is 400 bucks. Steam OS 3 is as good for a couch gamer as the Nintendo Switch is.

kingfey

Banned
I am currently playing quite a lot of VR games, they are finally getting good. But for my other need, I am sticking to console.
Starfield with mods
Sexy Temptation Island GIF by RTL

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
When your $2500+ machine out performs a console

Wait by this metric. The really expensive super car really is the gold standard of driving.

the F1 car is the gold standard
How dare you to pay more for better gaming experiences!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
How dare you to pay more for better gaming experiences!
No no that’s not what I am saying. It stands to reason that a custom machine is better than a mass produced machine.

If you bought a car and tuned it up etc paid for more power etc it would be your gold standard.

So for a PC to be declared gold standard well makes sense seeing as a custom gaming PC can wipe the floor with a lot of consoles. Plus emulate them.

Also just poking fun at PC master race. It is all in fun. I don’t mean to piss anyone off. How ever you measure your gold standard is your yardstick for best experience. Be it PC or console.
Me for now it’s the switch. It don’t give 60fps or 2K or even 4K but I enjoy playing it and I can play a variety of games I really enjoy.

I’m just glad we all getting to enjoy this hobby

So I’m sorry if I wound anyone up
The world can be shit at times so let’s enjoy what we can

Cheers Drinking GIF by BBC

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Not sure, F4 VR is really terribly done port. It even stress out my RTX3090.
Typical bethesda port.
I am amazed they are this much lazy.

Every time they try to do stuff like these, it feels like they put the least amount of work doing the job.

kingfey

Banned
No no that’s not what I am saying. It stands to reason that a custom machine is better than a mass produced machine.

If you bought a car and tuned it up etc paid for more power etc it would be your gold standard.

So for a PC to be declared gold standard well makes sense seeing as a custom gaming PC can wipe the floor with a lot of consoles. Plus emulate them.

Also just poking fun at PC master race. It is all in fun. I don’t mean to piss anyone off. How ever you measure your gold standard is your yardstick for best experience. Be it PC or console.
Me for now it’s the switch. It don’t give 60fps or 2K or even 4K but I enjoy playing it and I can play a variety of games I really enjoy.

There is class between PCs.
There is Toyota pc, then there is Ferrari PC.
Most PC master race are Toyota drivers, according to Nvidia.

Anyone that tells you PC gamers own expensive PC, they are lying to you.

We are cheap as fuck. No way most PC gamers spend more $800.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Typical bethesda port.
I am amazed they are this much lazy.

Every time they try to do stuff like these, it feels like they put the least amount of work doing the job.
Yeah their laziness is truly incredible, I am convinced that it runs worse than the Flight Sim actually, which is something to behold. I needed to install shitton of mods, to be able to play it properly. It's great game built on shitty engine and done on VR in very Bethesda Studios fashion.

jigglet

Banned
Well Steam and Windows has helped a lot.

Windows used to be a pile of shit, now it's very stable.

And Steam. Before it, to play a game of Counter Strike you had to update it all the time, download anti-cheat. Then you'd queue up for the next game and there'd be a different anti-cheat you'd have to use. Every new lobby might require a different anti-cheat. Just to play a few hours of CS felt like I was always downloading something. I couldn't just go from map to map. Then when patches came out you'd have to go download them from the site, it was never a seamless process of having Steam running in the background all the time doing its thing. Then the anti-virus software you had to run would wreak havoc on your connections. Etc etc.

PC gaming used to be fucked. It was basically like what it is to play exclusively Japanese games on PC today. Janky shit that requires hours of fucking around just to get going.

It's come a long way as long as you don't play only Japanese games. It's now my preferred platform too.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

For multi platform games is ease. Better IQ, performance, input lag, controllers, mods, FoV, graphics, etc = better. For exclusives, fuck 30fps, shooters on dual stick controller with pathetic aim assists and high input lag (gladly not a thing on PC). And so on...

Last edited:

Boss Man

Steam Deck is 400 bucks. Steam OS 3 is as good for a couch gamer as the Nintendo Switch is.
Website says October 2022, looks exciting but I mean isn’t this a console? Love the concept but hate the bezels.

Steam OS3 might be what I was waiting for. Would need to hear more about how Proton is shaping up and what can’t be played. It was already impressive last I looked but it wasn’t quite there yet - also not sure if it worked with SteamOS at the time (this was right when Proton was in the news).

Also like the idea of Xbox OS (and gamepass with it) on a custom PC in a similar kind of case. This would be a cool path for Xbox to take going forward IMO.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I remember fighting with my pc. Everytime I upgraded windows, or get windows, I get all kind of shit. Game no sound. Game has no video.
Go to the wiki, YouTube, and all the guides that were available.

Pc experience now is tolerable. No issues so far, aside of having to update the direct x, and the visual packages.

I envy the new pc gamers. They get to enjoy easier windows experience.
No issues like this since the "death" of IRQ. So post windows 95 :p

Last edited:

Beechos

I totally disagree about this being pc's golden age. Pc at this point is just the most powerful console. Everything is made for console 1st, pc 2nd.

The golden age of pc gaming i would say was late 90's early 2000's rts games like starcraft,warcraft, c&c. Fps games like quake, counterstrike, unreal tournament, rainbow six, half life. Rpgs like baldurs gate, fallout, neverwinter nights. Games that were made for pc 1st that consoles can only dream of running.

Beechos

There is class between PCs.
There is Toyota pc, then there is Ferrari PC.
Most PC master race are Toyota drivers, according to Nvidia.

Anyone that tells you PC gamers own expensive PC, they are lying to you.

We are cheap as fuck. No way most PC gamers spend more $800.
Pc gamers dont have to spend alot becuase everything is console ports. You can get by playing most games with intergrated gfx or low end gpu nowdays.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Gaming was not “invented” on pc, but consoles (home entertainment systems). Console gaming is older then pc gaming. All those systems from back in the early 80’s were console based systems.

First known video game did run on an analog computer with oscilloscope screen.

Last edited:

Brofist

Pc gamers dont have to spend alot becuase everything is console ports. You can get by playing most games with intergrated gfx or low end gpu nowdays.
The lies pc gamers tell themselves. Golden era of pc gaming was late 90’s early 00’s after that consoles rule everything. Pc just get crappy console ports most of the time.
There are no console ports. Games are made with every platform in mind now.

Also exclusivity didn't make PC gaming any better in the 90s. You still get plenty of games built for PC now in addition to everything else. I see no problem there.

Brofist

PC gaming is much older than the late 80's. Apple II and Commodore 64 had games in the 70's and early 80's and I'm sure there is obscure stuff that's earlier than that. If you count text based games way older than that too.

Last edited:

decisions

PC is shit. This coming from a pc gamer.
We get shit ports. Devs don't care about optimizing their games properly.
We have a launcher war, which each launcher is trying for exclusives, like consoles.
MS is shit, which affects our windows gaming, with their useless windows updates.

PC is superior to consoles. But in term of gaming experience, we are way behind consoles. I am not talking about graphics. But a proper game experience, which functions like consoles.

Fact is, MS needs to lose market share. We need some other big company to really fight and try and start a new gaming initiative. Maybe some billionaire will see the potential and fund a startup, maybe Valve’s Linux efforts will bear fruit as a slow burn.

When PC is stable and working as intended for gaming, it’s the best. When I spend more than a few hours dealing with Windows BS to try and get the benefits of the PC version, I refund and play on my OLED console setup. It’s just not worth it a lot of the time. Windows is the epitome of a product coasting on pure market share, no passion put into its maintenance whatsoever.

BlackTron

PC and console have had their pros and cons since the dawn of time itself. Still do. The gap is closing but there is still a gap and significant pros/cons still exist.

That's why I've used both since the days of DOS and NES and never even thought to consider dropping either one yet. Though, both have features and/or games that I consider absolutely vital. That might not me true for everyone, but the never-ending dick measuring contest is still petty.

Brofist

Fact is, MS needs to lose market share. We need some other big company to really fight and try and start a new gaming initiative. Maybe some billionaire will see the potential and fund a startup, maybe Valve’s Linux efforts will bear fruit as a slow burn.

When PC is stable and working as intended for gaming, it’s the best. When I spend more than a few hours dealing with Windows BS to try and get the benefits of the PC version, I refund and play on my OLED console setup. It’s just not worth it a lot of the time. Windows is the epitome of a product coasting on pure market share, no passion put into its maintenance whatsoever.
What game did you have to spend a few hours on? I need to know these games that take hours to run.

Also enjoying my OLED PC setup just fine.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

If you need hours to deal with some windows BS, you should stick with console only.

anothertech

I continue to play MMOs and most shooters on PC with a proper gaming chair and desk set up, and everything else on my consoles from the couch on my 85" oled. Like the last two decades.

Also PC from the couch on my nice 85" screen sucks ass.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I continue to play MMOs and most shooters on PC with a proper gaming chair and desk set up, and everything else on my consoles from the couch on my 85" oled. Like the last two decades.

Also my PC from the couch on my nice 85" screen sucks ass for whatever BS reason I invented.
Ftfy.

Boss Man

ITT nerds with full size desktop PC towers sitting on their living room floor using a mouse on their lap with a hardcover book and navigating Windows on their 70” TV screen telling us no company ever needs to do anything in this space to make it more viable

Karamina

Neo Member
before, PC was Superior platefom because of RTS, Fast FPS, 4X, MMO, the big combo Mouse/Keyboard/Monitor and big exclusives every year.

Today PC is basically a deluxe console, look the homepage of Steam, majority of consoles games and Early acces, yeahh...

Top Bottom