• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC is finally the golden standard for gaming

.Pennywise

Banned
PC Gaming is dead yada yada

After a long time, we can finally say that PC is the best platform to invest in regards to gaming. Despite the Master Race and whatever memes going around. The truth is, PC was always there as a gaming platform, but it never could get to be the definitive platform. Consoles were way easier back in the day, just plug & play. Then consoles got really powerful and really good (sometimes better than PC) online experiences. And when consoles were not so plug & play anymore, they had the best exclusives that you couldn't get on PC. Also most players would play games on consoles and their playerbase was always helthier.

In the last recent years, PC has been growing enormously, and kept getting more and more stuff. Nowaways almost all third party games come out for PC. All Xbox first party day one. Like 95% of Nintendo games get up being emulated and played even better than in its console. And even PlayStation first party are now getting in. Online is free and you have such a wide offer between AAA free to play games, cheap indies, platforms gifting games all weeks, getting seasonal offers every other month. Games being cross-play so you don't suffer from poor playerbase. And new technologies making your hardware last longer and more competitive (DLSS).

BUT

The Nation of the Bitcoin and Pandemic attacked...

And despite the PC getting the best of the best by long miles... It was impossible to get one without getting your anus walltet pounded. GPU, RAM and even some CPU prices were laughable when you could get a console for half the price of just one of those components...

UNTIL NOW!

Finally, after years, prices are literally plummeting.

And with that last wall falling, PC is finally entering its Golden Age.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
ninjafloss.gif

we have cringey twitch streamers to thank for making every middle schooler want a sick rig™ and a g fuel coupon code

PC golden age was like 20 years ago. What's it with people thinking PC gaming is a new thing? I can't stand new PC players that seem completely dazzled by the most basic things.

My modest PC was playing games at HD when folks that had a PS2 were playing their games on 480i back in the day. For the last few year until now PC had the worst value it ever had, with really overpriced hardware and with the focus changing more and more into the direction of high end products that are reaching never seen before price points.

Right now PC and console are as close as they ever were and share more games than ever. There is practically no AAA development that is focused just on PC anymore.

PC gaming "culture" is at it's lowest point ever, with the whole master race attitude.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
PC is shit. This coming from a pc gamer.
We get shit ports. Devs don't care about optimizing their games properly.
We have a launcher war, which each launcher is trying for exclusives, like consoles.
MS is shit, which affects our windows gaming, with their useless windows updates.

PC is superior to consoles. But in term of gaming experience, we are way behind consoles. I am not talking about graphics. But a proper game experience, which functions like consoles.

kingfey

Banned
PC golden age was like 20 years ago. What's it with people thinking PC gaming is a new thing?

My modest PC was playing games at HD when folks that had a PS2 were playing their games on 480i back in the day.

Right now PC and console are as close as they ever were and share more games than ever.
They aren't. You can't play xbox games on Ps5, or ps games on xsx.

PC has games from all 3 systems. In that regard, PC is superior.

Also, it's funny that you are comparing 20 years ago.
PC is the only platform, which has true raytracing, due to Nvidia cards, while consoles have fake raytracing in form of amd cards.

PC is shit. This coming from a pc gamer.
We get shit ports. Devs don't care about optimizing their games properly.
We have a launcher war, which each launcher is trying for exclusives, like consoles.
MS is shit, which affects our windows gaming, with their useless windows updates.

PC is superior to consoles. But in term of gaming experience, we are way behind consoles. I am not talking about graphics. But a proper game experience, which functions like consoles.
So in short, PC gaming is shit both because people are trying to make it more like consoles, and because it’s not enough like consoles.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PC gamers go up in time. That active Steam base keeps chugging. Has there ever been a time, the active Steam base dropped because PC gamers were bailing ship and not playing?

Despite gaming being a giant industry growing over time, the console base has barely budged. In fact, it's gone down in units where the 360/PS3/Wii/handhelds era by far had the most units of consoles and handhelds.

Since then, lots of handheld gamers gravitated to mobile and PC gaming keeps going up.

Last edited:
When your argument is that PC gaming is now the best because it's tried to be more like a console I think that's a self own.

I don't like eating Fish. So I was asked by a friend why I don't like Fish, and I said because it smells and tastes fishy. Her answer was that I should reconsider because the way she cooks it it tastes like chicken.

kingfey

Banned
So in short, PC gaming is shit both because people are trying to make it more like consoles, and because it’s not enough like consoles.
Nah, we are treated like 2nd class.
Devs don't bother giving us a proper optimized games. There is always some shit that goes on, when a games comes to pc. Elden ring, halo infinite, etc.

I would like us to get, what consoles get. A proper good game.

PhaseJump

Banned
Steam Deck solves a lot of the complaints and intentional whining here. It runs PC games in a console form factor, with a console price, and the simplicity of SteamOS 3 & Proton offers thousands of games that work out of the box without needing to fuck around. It lets you fuck around, but it's not a necessity.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It might take a while, but the key thing console gamers still brag about are first party console exclusives (and of course entirely avoiding emulation every time).

But MS games are PC, and Sony is slowly bringing over their exclusives. The only 100% hold out is Nintendo.

You never know. Give it another few years and Sony might be fully on board too. Give it 10 years and maybe Nintendo does the same.

At some point, PC will have basically all games.

Don't forget for those platform partnership deals where one of the console makers makes it exclusive to their console, it's often available for PC too.

.Pennywise

Banned
Windows' DirectX API that just came to PC. Games can now ship optimized for the same Xbox NVMe fast asset-loading marketing tech.
Oh ok.

This sounds at the same levels of bullshit of the "optimization to the metal" and "secret sauce" of some years ago with previous gen pre-pro consoles :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kerotan

Penny you've been saying this for years. This is just your 2020 edition. I'm satisfied being on console. I had 2k hours on verdansk. Imagine I had to spend them on shitty cross play lobbies with hackers and cheater's. PC players with their super expensive rigs we're literally tortured.

PC gamers go up in time. That active Steam base keeps chugging. Has there ever been a time, the active Steam base dropped because PC gamers were bailing ship and not playing?

Despite gaming being a giant industry growing over time, the console base has barely budged. In fact, it's gone down in units where the 360/PS3/Wii/handhelds era by far had the most units of consoles and handhelds.

Since then, lots of handheld gamers gravitated to mobile and PC gaming keeps going up.
China is really becoming big on PC. Next up: India.

PhaseJump

Banned
The gold standard is a cartridge, with no patches and no loading that just works.

But since we don't have that anymore, and consoles are just wanabee pcs, yes PC is the best by far. With Sony transitioning to PC multiplatform development, the PS5 will be the last non Nintendo console I ever own.

797479.jpg

ACESHIGH

Banned
Get ready to be bashed to hell and back OP.... That's the price for telling the truth.

TBH I think PC gaming got to that place around 2012. The leap between consoles and PCs was so big and japanese devs started to release games on PC more and more.

2006 - 2010/11 was the dark age of PC gaming.

To be honest, i'm sick to death of making posts talking about the endless advantages PC gaming has over console (and you have listed a few), so i'm not going to lol.
I'm just going to say its nice to see someone else wake up and see the light.

depositphotos_243574054-stock-photo-businessman-seeing-the-light-at.jpg
Been a PC + consoles gamer since the 1990's or so, and I've almost always chosen the PC version if that is an option. My PS4 Pro (still haven't been motivated to buy a PS5) and my Switch are only for exclusive titles unless there is a really, really good reason to get the console version. Usually that really, really good reason is botched PC port but such things are very rare nowadays, most developers do a decent to good job with the PC version.

kingfey

Banned
God of war and halo infinite on PC is NICE.

PC is definitely getting in to golden age, since those console owners are running to pc, with their exclusives.

And best part, PC is getting all timed exclusives from the 3 console systems. Stalker 2, ff16, monster hunter rise.

Top Bottom